Sign in to follow this  
Jeanway

~ Brain Power ~

:laugh: I'm NOT kidding. Read this:Brain Power – The Energy of Thought and Memory

Most of us have discovered that thinking can be tiring, even exhausting. As the primary source of energy in the human brain, glucose can be rapidly used up during mental activity.

Some interesting research has shown that mental concentration actually drains glucose from a key part of the brain associated with memory and learning – underscoring just how crucial this blood sugar is for proper brain function.

And there's more................... :laugh:

Nourish - Carbohydrates Fuel Your Brain

Glucose is the form of sugar that travels in your bloodstream to fuel the mitochondrial furnaces responsible for your brain power. Glucose is the only fuel normally used by brain cells. Because neurons cannot store glucose, they depend on the bloodstream to deliver a constant supply of this precious fuel.

This blood sugar is obtained from carbohydrates: the starches and sugars you eat in the form of grains and legumes, fruits and vegetables. (The only animal foods containing a significant amount of carbohydrates are dairy products.)

Too much sugar or refined carbohydrates ' AT ONE TIME ', however, can actually deprive your brain of glucose – depleting its energy supply and compromising your brain's power to concentrate, remember, and learn. Mental activity requires a lot of energy. :laugh:

Edited by Jeanway

post-897-1098473050.jpgWhat is the structure of the mitochondrion? The features examined here are size, membrane structure, protein status, and genetic information. Mitochondria are one of the larger organelles in the eukaryotic cell, ranging from 0.3-1.0 &m by 5-10 &m.

It has two membranes, the innermost of which folds in at many points along its perimeter in a formation resembling a maze. These infoldings, called cristae, are the launch pad of enzymes and electron carriers (cytochromes) responsible for electron transport and oxidative phosphorylation. The manner in which the cristae are arranged keeps these enzymes segregated according to their utility, an example of the high level of organization within the mitochondrion.

Mitochondria are unique among all other organelles because they contain their own DNA, i.e., separate from the cell nucleus' DNA, and its configuration is circular. Ribosomes in the mitochondrion produce some of the organelle's proteins according to its own, independent DNA.

Edited by Jeanway

well i guess that explains wanting to fall a sleep during class, even more so after i get some sugar in me during breaks. lol. thank god most of the class time is almost over now.

I'm glad your doing well in your classes CW. and they are almost over with. :frusty:

274785[/snapback]

thank you, and how are things with you?

Here everyday drinking alot of Kool-Aid and driving the Mods nuts, as usual :P :frusty: j/k :laugh: Gulp! :huh:

Talking about brain power and memory, certain tests have shown that if you stick your arm in a bucket of ice after you learn something, you'll remember it better (you'll probably remember it as the thing you were trying to remember when you stuck your arm in a bucket of ice :frusty: )

GO SOX!!!