Sign in to follow this  
Jeanway

~~ EDEN ~~

THIS IS AN EXCERPT FROM RODDENBERRY ROAD FOR THOSE WHO AREN'T FAMILIAR WITH "ELFENTRAPPEM":

Post #367

QUOTE(Jeanway @ Jul 11 2004, 06:30 PM)

After the service, Jeanway hands The Reverend an envelope containing the money for the hall the night before, then a second envelope for the church. She and Wab go back to her house for lunch. As they are eating their Minestrone and garlic toast { MMMMM }, they heard alot of screaming coming from the backyard. They both run outside and behind the stable to the woods. The screaming had stopped. But before them, lying on the ground, were four Elfentrappems. Her four house guests heads lying inside each trap, and their tiny bodies lying on the ground next to the traps. They were all dead. WAB looked on in horror as did Jeanway. "I didn't know these traps were here." She said to WAB. " They must have been left here by Crunch and Snaders a few weeks ago when the elves first arrived, the night of the big Cook-Out/Block Sale. The Hippogriff came out of the stable and hung it's long neck over the fence and sniffed the air as he looked at the 4 dead elves on the ground. The Clydesdales also came out and wanted to see what all the commotion was about. Haggie gave an "AAWWKK!" And a tear formed in his eye, he liked the elves. Jeanway hugged Haggie and kissed his head, and they both cried over the loss of the elves. "Well, what are you going to do now?" WAB asked. Jeanway replied. " I guess we have to bury them, give them a funeral." They got a couple shovels out of the shed and began to dig a mass grave in the woods behind the house. "I really appreciate your help WAB, your a good friend."Jeanway said. "Aw, it's nothin, what are friends for, anyway?" He replied.

Lida discussed the possiblity of "Elfentrappems" being modified to catch the

green creatures without decappitating them. The only thing Aaron could come up

with immediately was to change the name to "Alientrappems" :drool::flex: But

will give it more thought. :naughty:

Edited by fenriz275

OOC: I am not quite sure how long it has been in the story, but I am figuring about a week and since my computer has a virus or something and the internet is unreliable, I cannot post as much, thus I am leaving.

Taffita was very sorry she had to miss the "Alientrappem Experiment," but she had to get back to Dartmouth. Her little plane stood in the driveway and her suitcases were in it.

"Don't take so long to visit next time," Lida said.

"I won't. I don't have to learn to fly a plane next time or ride a horse half of the way. Besides, I want to bring back those school books. I think I know a professor who might want to come..." She smiled. "I miss you guys too." The other kids bid her farewell and she got in her plane and took off. She circled once and dipped her wings to say good-bye, then flew away northeast.

As Taffita flew over Lida came running back outside and held up her birthday cake that she had made for after supper that night. There was a tear in Lida's eye. :naughty: And Lida sang Happy Bithday as she watched Taffita fly out of sight. :drool:

Kaitlyn and Abigail stood together and watched sadly as Taffita flew off. She had become a friend to the two girls, and both of them would miss her.

Kaitlyn sighed,"Well, I guess that leaves only two in female teenage population of Eden."

"I suppose so," Abbie said. "But she'll be back."

"Yes, and I hope she brings that professer and some textbooks. I can't believe it, but I miss school. Especially science, that was always my favorite class," Kaitlyn said.

Able, who was standing nearby, looked over at her. "Really?" he asked. "That was my favorite class too."

"Cool." Kaitlyn said, smiling. Looking at the smile on Able's face before he turned away again, Kaitlyn once more felt a shiver of that same emotion she had felt the night before.

Lida looked over at Kaitlyn and noticed her shudder like she caught a chill. Then Lida got that same feeling. :naughty:

Kaitlyn felt her cheeks burning as she turned away. What was going on? What was it about Able that made her feel this way? She'd never felt like this around a boy before. By the time everyone went back inside, and the girls had gone up to their room, as they now hada bit of free time, Kaitlyn's head was spinning. Suddenly she had an idea of what the strange, yet somehow nice feeling might be. The idea almost made her laugh at herself, and she brushed it away as nonsense. She was thirteen-she couldn't be in love, could she?

The men had finished shearing and had brought the washed wool inside into the house in burlap sacks. Abe went up to the attic and brought down the Spinning wheel for Becka post-897-1102182532.jpg. Becka had spun wool as a girl on her parents farm and knew just what to do.

Up in their room, all the girls lay around on the two beds, happily reading, looking through magazines, painting nails, and putting makeup on each other, among other things. None of them thought they'd ever be bored again, what with all of the things they'd brought back from Angola.

Elfentrappem held sad and painful memories for Lida. :naughty: But Aaron couldn't care one way or the other. He was actually glad to see the little buggers gone back on Roddenberry Road. They destroyed his house on more than one occassion but nik loved the elves. He always had some business venture in mind and they were his "Perfect Little Work-Force" :rolleyes: Yes, nik wears many hats, very versatile man. But now Aaron needed nik's help in adapting a kinder and gentler more humane 'Elfentrappem'. These little green creatures hold the key as to what happened to everyone. Now we just need an expert in Lingustics to come to Eden. Perhaps Taffita's Professor friend from Dartmouth may be able to help in this area. Aaron hopes she returns with him and maybe some other highly educated people.

Aaron got to work on making the traps from scratch and memory. He spent days and sometimes nights in the work-shop making drawings and trying to build a prototype. nik refused to help. But Abe and ILikeSeven were happy to help him.

The kitchen table shook as Becka stuffed the chunks of raw meat into the top of the grinder she had clamped to the edge of the kitchen table. Lida sat at the other end crying. Not because she was sad but she had a mountain of onions in front of her. They were planning a nice Italian supper that night. A dozen or so large Mason jars of stewed tomatoes sat on the Hoosier top waiting to be emptied in a huge pot on the stove. Lida thought one of the girls could do that if they ever decided to come downstairs. She need to saute the onions and the ground meat in the skillet before adding it to the sauce.

Becka was getting tired and yelled upstairs for the girls to come down and help. Lida's face was soaking wet from the tears. She sat there sniffeling and peeling, peeling and sniffeling. Until finally she got up, splashed cold water on her face and walked outside for some fresh air and a needed break. "nik?" Lida said as she saw him arguing with the elves in the yard. Them calling him names and he retorting. :rolleyes: nik walked over to Lida and the elves took off chasing the elephants. "You know how to make pasta nik? I know your Italian. She asked him. "Hey, girl, I'm the "Pasta King" where I come from, why?" He asked. "We could use a hand in the kitchen. We've got the sauce nearly done but the more help with making the pasta, the better. What do you say?" Lida asked. "Sure, whenever?" He answered.

nik took out a pack of Marboros from his folded up sleeve and offered Lida one. She used to smoke but gave it up a year ago. She was tempted and took one. nik lit it and his with his lighter. The both sat there on a log and Lida smoked and coughed and smoke and coughed then finally threw her half smoked cigarette on the ground and mashed it into the dirt with her foot. "Yea, good smoke nik." She said sarcasticly. "Now I remember why I quit." :rolleyes: nik just kept puffing away on his.

"Well?" nik said. "Let's make Pasta" :naughty: He said with a funny smile. They both went back in the kitchen. To Lida's surprise all the onions had been peeled and chopped by Kaitlyn and Abigail. Beth and Callie had opened all the jars and dumped them into the pot. Addie, a fine little helper was standing at the stove stirring the onions in the huge skillet. becka stood beside her droppping in the ground meat. "Who's ready to make the pasta?" nik yelled across the room. And to Lida's and everyone else's surprise he took charge and showed everyone what to do. It took hours to make the dough and cut it into long strips and lay the strips all over the kitchen on broom handles and clothes racks to dry befor e cooking in boiling water. Everyone was having fun and covered with flour. :hammer:

Edited by Jeanway

Kaitlyn and Abigail laughed as they layed out the final cut strips to dry. There, that part of the job was done. Everyone washed the flour off of themselves and then sat down at the table together to wait until it was time to cook the pasta in the hot water.

"That was fun," Kaitlyn giggled. I used to think cooking was boring, but I had a great time doing that!"

"Of course you did," Becka said, smiling.

"Just wait 'till it's done," nik said. "There's nothing better than Italian pasta."

Aaron was out-back chopping wood and 'Asking' the elves to stack it for him. He shouldn't have bothered. It ended up all over the yard. :rolleyes: They made a game of seeing how hard they could throw a piece at each other, always missing and flying away in the distance. Now he had to go collect it all and stack it in the wood-shed. He smelled the delicious sauce cooking from outside, and could hardly wait to come in for supper. He had worked on elfentrappem most of the day and decided to qiut for the day and go chop some wood for the stoves. Everyone helped with the chopping at one time or another. and with 7 men in the house there should never be a shortage, NEVER!

Aaron came in the backdoor, his arms loaded down with split logs. Kicked the door open and the elves ran in around him into the kitchen. They ran around grabbing at the drying pasta that was hung all over everything, making a mess and the children all ganged up on them on the floor, dragged them out the door and slammed it shut. "And Stay Out!" Kailyn yelled. "Yea, Stay outside!" Able added.

Two large pots of salted boiling water stood on the stove. Aaron stoked the fire then loaded the remaining wood in the wicker basket on the floor. "Go wash up now, IN the laundryroom." Becka told him. He did as she told him. "And all the rest of you, go wash up. We're going to cook the pasta now, it won't take long." Becka ordered.

post-897-1102288184.jpgKaitly, Abbie and Lida started dropping the pasta into the pots of boiling water as Becka ladled the sauce into two large tureens and put them on the tables. "Go sit now, Lida and I will take care of this now." Becka said as she scooped out the cooked pasta into a large bowl then into a strainer in the sink. Then back into the bowl toss with butter. Everyone sat down and began to eat after Abe said the blessing.post-897-1102288218.jpg Lida took the sheets of garlic toast from the ovens throughout the meal. "Wine? Where's the wine?" Bill yelled. Chrissy looked at him, so did Kate, becka and Lida. "OH, O.K. then, no wine I guess." He added as Lenny kicked him under the table. "Kool-Aid will be fine." ILikeSeven said as he poured a glass for himself and Chrissy.

Edited by Jeanway

"This is really good, isn't it?" Able said to Kaitlyn as the children ate at their table. They had ended up sitting across from each other.

"Yes it is," Kaitlyn said. "It was fun to make, too."

"You girls did a good job," Able said, smileing.

"Thanks," Kaitlyn answered. She smiled sheepishly. She'd never been shy around a boy before-this was crazy. Oh boy, Kaitlyn thought. What's going on here?

"SO, how you coming on the modifications Aaron?" Lida asked. Aaron had just stuffed his mouth full of spagetti and tried to answer. " Wemmmll, gulp, I'mff twyingff ta mafe it soff ish won't cuff off dere headsff." He said as he sprayed bits of pasta all over Lida. "Nevermind, tell me later, after you eat." Lida said. "FooKayy" He answered. :rolleyes:

Everyone laughed as Lida picked pieces of spaggetti off her shirt. The men began to ask Aaron what he had accomplished as far as any REAL modifications. He took out a pad of paper from his pocket and showed them his sketches. His aim is to only trap the aliens and not hurt them in anyway. ILikeSeven and nik were very interested in his new design and they decided to go back out to the workshop in the barn after supper and work on it all together.

Lida finished eating and got up to quickly make a dessert from the leftover pasta, a Noodle Pudding. She had made it before and did it quickly then popped it in the still hot oven. "We'll have dessert after we clean up, if anyone is interested."

Everyone was stuffed and decided they'd wait and see how they felt in an hour.

Table cleared, dishes and pots washed Lida took the pudding out of the oven. It smelled heavenly and one by one the boys and girls decided to try some. :laugh: Able liked it especially and so did Kaitlyn and Addie. "Dad sure is missing out on this Lida." He said. Lida decided to have Able bring some out to the men in the barn while it was still warm. All the boys went with him.

Aaron, Abe, ILikeseven and Nik pondered over the sketches. Trying to figure out what an actual "Elfentrappem" looked like. Aaron tried to explain but was met with only blank faces and empty stares :nono: .

"Alrighty then." Aaron said. "Let's tackle this thing one step at a time." They all thought that might work so they went along with it. :lol:

"Hand me those wire cutters Abe." Aaron asked as he unrolled a sheet of chicken wire onto the floor. "Now we need some sort of frame, made out of metal to wrap this around. Any ideas anyone?" He asked. They all hemmed and hawwed for a minute then. Then came up empty. :laugh::laugh: "Come on guys, THIMK!" Aaron insisted. "How about wire coat hangers Aaron?" Ilikeseven suggested. "Yea, that'll work. We can double them up and wire them together and make the frame.

Ilikeseven ran into the house and up to his room to collect all the hangers he could find in his closet. Then went back to the workshop. "Here you go Man." He said as he handed them to Aaron. Aaron got to work now cutting and shaping the hangers. Straightening the bends and wiring them together into a frame for the chicken wire. Abe, Ilikeseven and Nik watched and did exactly what Aaron did.

As they all worked together Aaron explained how the original 'Elfentrappem' had a blade attached to a spring loaded trip. So it would kill the elf by chopping it's head off when it went inside to get the food. "We don't want that with these. We want them healthy and intact. We have to try to communicate with them." Aaron said. "How many you think we'll be needin?" Abe asked. "Don't know. As many as we can make in a day or so I guess." Aaron answered. "Where we gonna set em?" Nik asked. "I'd say all around the farm. No tellin where they are in the night." Abe answered. "Good thinking." Aaron added. "And maybe some in the edge of the woods."

The men worked a few more hours then it got late and everyone was tired so they decided to go to bed for the night.

Next morning after breakfast they were all right back out in the workshed cranking out the 'Alientrappems'. By lunchtime, they had made 10. "Hey guys. How about we test them out with the elves?" Aaron suggested. Nik got an angry look on his face but agreed. "O.K. where we going to set them up?" He asked. Aaron laughed. "It doesn't matter. If there is food in there, they'll find them." Nik and Aaron put some of Lida's leftover noodle pudding from the night before inside 4 traps then set them outside around the barn. Then Becka called everyone to come in for lunch. They all went inside.

Edited by fenriz275

Lida had retrieved some jars of green bell peppers from the cellar and 4 good sized chickens. She decided to make Chicken Cattciatore for lunch. Using the last of the huge pot of sauce leftover from the night before. The kitchen smelled heavenly, the children were all milling around waiting to eat. Becka came back in from calling the men and the men followed her in quickly, they could smell it from outside.

Everyone seated now, Abe said the blessing. The platters of steaming, hot chicken covered in sauce were passed around the tables and were cleaned off on their first pass. The leftover pasta also disappeared as quickly. The adults marveled at how well the children were eating. "nik?" Lida said. "Yes?" He asked. "How about we make this pasta thing a weekly thing? It'd sure take a load off me and Becka and Chrissy. What do you say?" She asked. nik agreed happily to take over this one meal a week from now on. "I'd also like to try to make a nice Ciopinno for you all sometime. It's a nice fish stew. How's that sound to everyone?" He asked in a loud voice. The children sort of moaned but agreed to try it once. :laugh: "Come on guys, we have a nice Lake we can all go fishing." He added. The boys perked right up. No one had gone fishing since they arrived here at Eden. "Sure nik, when can we go?" Bart asked. "Whenever." nik said with a shrug. "And we'll bring the elves with us." nik added with a chuckle. The boys let out collective moan knowing anything where the elves are involved turns into Chaos. :laugh:

Muted screams could be heard coming from outside. Abe, Aaron, nik and ILikSeven looked at each other. "They Worked!!" Aaron yelled and ran out the backdoor followed by everyone in the kitchen. But to their surprise it wasn't the elves caught in the 'Alientrappems' But 2 aliens. The elves were just hooting and hollering at them. "Get them into the barn" Abe yelled. Aaron and ILikeSeven picked up one trap at each end and Abe and nik picked up the other and carried them into the barn. Everyone gathered around the two 'Alientrappems' that sat on the hay covered floor.

"SSHHH! Now, be quiet. Let's not scare them anymore than they already are." Abe yelled at everyone. Everyone quieted down. Kaitlyn sat down on the floor next to one of the traps. She showed no fear whatsoever. She bent over the cowering little green creature and started talking softly to it. It turned it's face towards her and seemed to smile at her. Then it's little eyes began to glow and it began to chatter in a soft, squeeky voice. "What?" Kaitlyn said to it. It repeated what it said a bit louder this time. Kaitlyn couldn't make out anything understandable. So she looked in the cage and saw that the food that was used as bait was gone. "Your hungry, aren't you?" She said to it. Then she made motions as if she were eating something. The little creatures eyes glowed even brighter and it began squeeking again. "Lida, Becka, Chrissy, it's hungry! :laugh: " Kaitlyn said. "Go get something from the kitchen and hurry." Lida took off for the kitchen and came back in a minute with some leftover garlic toast and handed it to Kaitlyn. Kaitlyn held it in front of the creature and it sniffed it then opened it's little mouth. It appeared to be drooling. Kaitlyn stuffed it through the holes in the chicken wire and it ate it before it even hit the floor. "Feed the other one somebody." Kaitlyn said. And Able did the same at the other cage. It looked like Able and Kaitlyn had made First Contact. :yes: :laugh::nono:

The children were absolutely fascinated with the two, tiny, green creatures. "Do you think they're cold blooded like reptiles here on Earth?" Lida asked everyone. No one knew anything yet. "Let me see." She said as she sat down on the floor next to Kaitlyn. Lida put her finger on the cage near the creature then tried to touch it through one of the holes. It didn't pull away and Lida felt it's skin. It was cold. "Yep, I think it is." Lida said. "Get that stove going Aaron, let's get some heat in here for them." Aaron rushed over to the stove. "And shut those doors." He yelled.

Everyone stayed in the barn with the two aliens for the rest of the afternoon. Some of the children talked about sleeping out here with them. Their reasoning was that some of the other aliens might come in the night and try to free their comrads. Becka and Abe talked and decided they could. ILikeSeven even volunteered to stay out there with them all so Sabe and Mellie could sleep in the barn too. Becka and Lida went in the house and made ham sandwiches and potato salad for supper and brought everthing back out to the barn. Everyone ate supper with the aliens. :lol: The children shared their sandwiches with them.

Later some of the children went up to the loft, nice and toasty now, got on the site and told everyone about what had happened at Eden that day. Bart started a new thread titled "Aliens At Eden" :laugh: He was bombarded with questions and PMs. Lida, Chrissy and Becka went back into the house now for blankets and pillows for everyone. Meanwhile someone covered the floor again with fresh hay and everyone made their beds for the night all around the two Alientrappems and settled down with apples and cheese and a few jars of pickles. The women went back in the house to sleep. As did Abe and Aaron. nik stayed in the barn as well and so did the elves. :laugh: Everyone went to sleep. :nono:

Kaitlyn awoke to the sound of someone stirring in their sleep. She lifted her head to see Able sitting up, obviously unable to sleep. Quietly she moved over to where he sat.

"Somthing wrong?" she whispered.

Able looked over at her, surprised that he had not heard her come up. "No," he said. "Nothing's wrong, really. I just can't stop thinking about those aliens" He nodded in their direction.

Kaitlyn sighed. "I know. Me either. I want to know what happened to my family. I have to know, and now that we may have a connection with who did it, I can't get it out of my mind. While I was asleep I dreamed about it." She shivered, from her thoughts as well as the fact that the fire had gone down. "I hope having these aliens here will lead us to some answers."

"Yeah, me too," Able said. He picked up a blanket from his bed and draped it aroun her shoulders.

"Thanks," she said, smileing.

"You're welcome" the boy smiled back.

Kaitlyn felt that shiver of emotion foe the third time since running into Able that day, and now she knew that the idea she had brushed away as nonsense was not nonsense at all. As she looked at Able in the dim light of the stove fire, she knew without a doubt that she was in love.

"Kaitlyn?" Able said.

"Mmm? Oh. I was just thinking," she answered, slightly embarrassed.

Aaron's snoring woke Lida up. Her bedroom was right next to his. She got up and went in and shook him awake. "WHAT?" He said. "Nothing, your snoring woke me up." She said. "Oh, I'm sorry. I'll try to not snore again." He said as he started to doze off again. Lida cleared her throat. "I'm going out to the barn. I want to check on everyone. You coming?" She asked. Aaron sat up and jumped off the bed. "OK, let's go" He said. Still fully clothed, he failed to get undressed to go to bed, he was so tired. They went out to the barn, carrying two lanterns. Aaron opened the door and went in, Lida followed. They saw Kaitlyn and Able sitting next to each other next to one of the traps, talking. "Sweet, isn't it?" Lida said to Aaron. Then Able wrapped his blanket around Kaitlyn. Everyone was asleep all around them. A lone lantern hung behind them and the sillouetts of the two children's shadows flickered on the wall. Lida and Aaron saw that everything was just fine and left the barn and quietly closed the door behind them. :laugh:

The rooster woke everyone just before dawn. It's incessant crowing and running around on top of everyone nearly got it killed. Ilikeseven went after it with an ax. :laugh: Yelling obscenities in "Dutch". It annoyed even the aliens. They kept throwing their little green bodies up against the sides of the traps. Finally Bart shooed the rooster outside where it's crowing could be heard moving off in the distance. Then Bart stoked the woodstove in the barn and crawled back into his bed in the hay next to one of the aliens. Too late, everyone was awake. The elves sometime during the night decided they were going to keep extra special watch over the aliens and climbed on top of the traps to sleep. Which actually kept them warmer. The elves have a very high metabolism and exude body heat like a small furnace. :laugh:

No one was awake inside the house yet so the girls got up and went to the kitchen after visiting the outhouse. Abbie decided to cook up the couple dozen eggs she had just collected from the nests. Beth started the huge kettle for tea, then joined Callie who had started forming and cooking up sausage patties. For this crowd, they needed a least a hundred. Kaitlyn and Addie began slicing the loaves of bread and toasting them over two open burners on the stove on long forks.

Edited by fenriz275

"Let's put all this in a picnic basket and go out to the barn and feed the aliens." Kaitlyn suggested. Everyone was for that. This would be their, the aliens, second meal in the barn, and everyone elses too. The little noises they make while they eat is very endearing, a sort of sqeeky groan, and everyone wants to feed them.

The aliens acclaimated themselves very quickly to all this attention and food. They seem to have favorites in the children, probably because they are smaller people and closer to their own size. Addie and Sabe seem to be the aliens favorite people. :assimilated: Them being the youngest. Mellie also has won their favour. When anyone else tries to feed them they do hang back a bit but when Addie, Mellie or Sabe do they try to crawl through the wire to get to them and snatch the food eagerly from their little fingers.

The wood stove in the barn is kept religiously stoked now. Everyone wants to keep the creatures warm 24 hours a day. The boys eagerly volunteer to chop wood now. Not like before when Aaron had to get Abe to give them good reason to get out there and help.

Today again was washday. The girls reluctantly followed their mother to the laundryroom. They wanted to stay in the barn with the aliens. Only Kaitlyn was excused because she seemed to have made a special bond with one of them, as was Able excused from farm chores. The two were alone in the barn with them.

When suddenly Kaitlyn noticed one of the aliens acting a bit stange. It was huddled up in one corner of it's trap and it seemed to be vibrating. Then it let out a high pitched squeel and before their very eyes the little 'female' had expelled a small green ball onto the floor of the trap. "OOPs, we'll have to clean that up right away." Able said. "No telling what THAT"S gonna smell like we leave it in there." Kaitlyn agreed that if they ate they must also poop. Kaitlyn opened the door to the trap and with a gloved hand reached in to retrieve the wad. When all of a sudden, IT MOVED!! :) Kaitlyn pulled her hand out quickly and called to Able. "Able, this ain't poop, it's a baby." They both stood there watching as the female alien took it in her little arms and cuddled it. :( The tiny thing unfolded it body and began to reach for it's mother. Then it began to cry. It sounded just like a baby sheep. A little lamb. :assimilated: Kaitlyn and Able just sat there watching.

The other alien in the other cage started making a commotion. It wanted to see the baby. It knew what happened. "You think that's the Daddy?" Able asked Kaitlyn. "Maybe? I mean they were together when we caught them weren't they. Able got up and dragged the other trap over and put one end up to the open end of the female's then opened the door. The male went right in with the new Mama and baby and he cuddled them both and seemed to be kissing the baby. :) Able and Kaitlyn were overwhelmed at what they were watching and they both got very emotional.

Edited by fenriz275

Able and Kaitlyn stared in wonder at the newborn alien for several minutes, then both of them seemed to snap back to awareness.

"Come on!" Kaitlyn said. "We've got to go tell everyone about this!" She turned, grabbing Able's hand, and the two of them ran out the door.

"I'm with you!" Able said. When the two of them reached the house they separated, Kaitlyn going into the house to get the women and girls, and Able to go get the men and boys. Kaitlyn burst into the house.

"Hey, hey!" she said. "The girl alien had a baby!"