Sign in to follow this  
Jeanway

~~ EDEN ~~

A thundering roar approached the farm. Hooping and hollering of two stong male voices with it. The men had already begun to bring the new table to the back door along with all the new chairs. The table was already in the kitchen.

"YAHOOO YALLLL!" Was heard as the cloud of dust neared the side yard in front of the barn. Everyone stopped to watch. When the dust settled they saw a stalky man on a motorcycle pull off his helmet then his filthy goggles. The other man, in the filthy side-car did the same. "BILL, LENNY!!!!" nik and Lida yelled at the same time and ran over to them. "Thought we'd never get here." Bill said. Lenny pulled out a bag of peanuts from his pocket, cracked one open and popped the nuts into his mouth then flicked the shells at Bill's face. "Stop That!!" Bill yelled. Lenny just chuckled. "How yall doin?" Bill said with a smile. "Took us a while but we made it." Lenny added. "What's for supper?" Were the next words out of Bill's mouth. "Roasted stuffed chicken." Becka answered, ready to feed anyone who showed up at the farm. "Well, let's all get washed up for supper, it's almost ready." Lida said. "Come on Bill and Lenny, I'll show you where you can bed down." Lida said since they looked like a couple of cowboys who had been rode hard and put away wet.

SORRY ABOUT THIS-->> :laugh:post-897-1101592288.jpg

Lida showed Bill and Lenny their room and then they came back down to wash for supper. The men were busy in the meantime getting the new table set up with all the chairs. "Father." Able said. "Can we sit at the new table, I mean all us kids, then you grown-ups can eat in Peace?" Abe thought that was an excellent suggestion and said. "Sure son, go right ahead. The children moved all their plates to the new table which left more room for the grown-ups to spread out.

Edited by Jeanway

Taffita was in shock. She had hardly expected two of her greatest idols to come roaring up in a motorcycle and sidecar like... like... humans! Of course, it was no secret that she was in love with Spock, and thus could not wait to meet Leonard Nimoy especially, but now her belief that characters and actors should stay totally separate was even stronger.

"Taffy," Bart said, waving a hand in front of her face. Everyone was staring at her; apparently she had been out of it for a few minutes. Dinner resumed its normal pace, and Taffita decided that she needed to reread her books where the main character was a living legend, but was really just an ordinary person in an unordinary situation. She sighed at her foolisshness and dug into her chicken.

The country kitchen was alive with loud talk and laughter. Bill went on and on about their exploits in "borrowed" aircraft. Especially about the "drag race" they had with nik. They were in hysterics. Everyone else was too in Lenny's description of Bill in the c o c k- pit of a Lear jet eating a breakfast burrito and flipping nik the bird in his Lear as they approached the runway in New York. nik failed to see Bill mooning him and when nik heard this he nearly fell off his chair with laughter. The children seemed bedazzled and sat quietly and listened as nik, Lenny and Bill went on and on. The elves showed their displeasure at the merriment by hurling sheep dung at the window this time.

"Hey everyone, how about a toast?" Lida said. "Hey, that sounds like a GREAT idea." Bill yelled as he held up his empty glass in the air. "Good, I have some cider down in the cellar, I'll be right back." Lida said as she pushed her chair away from the table and headed towards the cellar door to the ladder. A few minutes later she yelled up. "Hey, I need some help here." Aaron and ILikeSeven heard her and got up to help. She passed up 6 large cork stopped, handled jugs that she THOUGHT was cider. "O.K., who wants a glass?" She said as she uncorked the first jug. All the children yelled "ME!!" She walked over to their table and poured a glass for each child then went back to the adult table. Aaron and ILikeSeven had opened the other jugs and everyone was pouring their own glass.

Abe stood up. "Here's to our new family here at EDEN. May we all live together in Peace and Harmony." Everyone raised their glass then took a long, delicious drink of the cider. Everyone loved it and drank the glasses empty right away. "More, Please." Little Addie yelled over the festivities. "Here, come take the jug over to your table and pour." Addie took the half filled jug to the table and poured some in everyone's glass. Now three jugs were empty and the fouth, fifth and sixth were uncorked at the adult's table.

Edited by Jeanway

Then supper took an UGLY turn. The elves smelled the cider and felt left out of the toast. One of them threw a chair through the window and they both climbed in shortly thereafter. They jumped up on the adult's table and each grabbed a jug, sat on the table and stated guzzeling. Abe and nik tried to pull them out of their grubby little paws and the elves tried slapping their hands away. Seeing this, ILikeSeven and Aaron came up behind them , grabbed them around the chest and yanked them down off the table. Aaron and ILikeseven fell backwards onto the floor holding onto them. The children saw their chance, now being, unknowningly, a bit innebreated, the boys pounced on the elves and started a brawl. Aaron got socked in the jaw by Bart. IlikeSeven got hit over the head with a plate that smashed into a hundred pieces on the floor by Cain. The girls jumped up and tried to stop the fighting and were hit repeatedly by the elves, thinking they were an easy target. By this time Becka was going ballistic and so was Abe. Lida just sat there and sipped her glass of cider and laughed. :waaaa: She thought this was very amusing. :laugh:

Edited by Jeanway

"Get those little ******* out of my kitchen Abraham!!!!" Becka yelled :laugh::clap: In the loudest voice anyone had ever heard her. Everything came to a screaching halt. ILikeSeven and Abe grabbed one elf and Aaron and nik grabbed the other and they carried them out the backdoor to the outbuilding, threw them in and locked the door then went back inside the house.

In the meantime Becka and Lida sent the children to their rooms, Bill and Lenny to theirs, since they were acting more like children than the children were, and Chrissy took Mellie and Sabe to theirs.

The two reflections in the kitchen window were just O-Faced at what they were watching. Their faces pressed up against the glass :laugh: :huh: :laugh: This night 'THE MEN" cleaned up and Becka and Lida went to bed. :waaaa:

Edited by Jeanway

Just before Lida fell asleep something occured to her. :laugh: The Cider had turned 'Hard' :laugh::waaaa::laugh:

Taffita giggled a little as she curled up on the edge of the older girls' bed. Abbie was in the middle, already asleep, and Kaitlyn was on the other side, also asleep. Taffita could feel the effects of the alcohol working its magic on her too, despite the fact that she had a higher tolerance for alcohol since her Dad had imported and sold wine from France, and they had often had it with dinner, before everything changed. At last, the sleep-inducing liquid completely seized the last few people in the house.

The next morning, everyone woke up later than usual with splitting headaches.

Everyone was irritable at breakfast, especially Becka. :kwasny: The kitchen was a total disaster from the night before and leaving the men to clean up was clearly not thought well through. Most of their so called "cleaning" seemed to have made things worse. The dishes were only STACKED IN THE SINK. The pots were still on the stove piled one inside the other and now stuck together. Who ever swept up the floor apparently forgot to use the broom :laugh: Looked like they pushed it around with their BIG FOOT and left piles of dirt in the corners. There were dried sticky spots of cider all over everything. The soft patina on the new table was now a shiny coating of dried cider. Even the curtains had chunks of food hanging off them. And there were mashed potato globs ON the Ceiling. :laugh:

The men disappeared from the kitchen, even the boys, after grabbing a couple muffins each they disappeared out to the barn. They didn't want to hear about it. Bill and Lenny were still asleep but everyone else was up. ILikeSeven took Sabe outside too. All the girls along with Becka, Lida and Chrissy cleaned up the mess, then made breakfast for themselves and DIDN'T call the men. :waaaa: Even the woman in the window gave her man such a look. :laugh:

Edited by Jeanway

Bill and Lenny were talking loudly and laughing when they came down the stairs. Every female in the house glared at them as they walked into the kitchen. "MMmm, something smells good." Bill said. "Sorry, breakfast is OVER." Becka said. "Go out to the barn, the men took all the muffins out there with them, there might be some left if you hurry." Becka said sarcastically. Then watched them both run out the back door. Everyone laughed, knowing BREAKFAST WAS OVER. :laugh:

Bill and Lenny were out of luck. There wasn't a snowball's chance in h*ll there'd even be a crumb left out there. He asked. "No muffins, huh?" He said as he started looking around the barn for anything edible. He found a barrel of oats for the horses and discretely started stuffing handfuls in his pockets. Out of the corner of his eye Lenny spotted him and followed suit.

"Come on guys, we got some shearing to get to." ILikeSeven said. Bill got this terrified look on his face and said. "Shearin? What are you talking about? ILikeSeven then said. "Yea, over in the new barn we got about 500 head of sheep got to be sheared, come on now, let's get going." Bill stood frozen. "But, but, but, but, I'm AFRAID of sheep AND goats, they don't like me. Everytime I've been near one in my life, I got kicked." He expalined. "Just ask Lida, she'll tell you. Back in Lafayette one of her goats attacked me." Abe looked at Aaron. Knowing those very goats were right behind Bill right now in their stall. Aaron winked at Abe then walked over and opened the gate a little. :laugh: And right on cue the male goat spotted Bill and headed right for him. Butted him with his big billy-goat horns and knocked Bill down. Bill couldn't believe it. He got up and ran out into the field with the billy-goat chasing after him. :waaaa:

Edited by Jeanway

After breakfast the girls went out to feed the animals and milk the cows and goats. The outbuilding where the elves were was right next to the building Ella and Ephram were. As they were feeding the elephants they could hear the elves yelling and banging on the door of their little house wanting to get out. They just ignore them. Taffita, Kaitlyn, Abbie, Beth and Calli, unchained Ella and brought her outside to the pasture, little Ephram followed his mother close behind, grabbing her tail with his little trunk. Then Abbie said. "Want to take them over to the lake so they can have a bath?" Everyone agreed it was a good idea and headed over to the lake.

post-897-1101655345.jpg It was an unusually warm day for November, close to 65 degrees, so the lake wasn't frozen. Ella walked into the cold water, not seeming to mind and Ephram stood beside her in the water. They dipped their trunks in and drank then sprayed the water over themselves waving their trunks around in the air. The girls, even though they stood on the shore got soaked as well. :laugh:

Edited by Jeanway

The girls were getting cold now, eventhough they were in full sun. Addie called Ella to "Come" and she walked into shore. She took the chain in her hand and led Ella back to the pasture, Ephram followed in his usual manner, the other girls headed back into the house to put on some dry clothes. As Addie passed the elves house again, she noticed the door was open and they weren't in there. She thought nik must have come and let them out, which he did. The elves were in the new barn with the men chasing the sheep around and generally making a nusance of themselves, as usual. :laugh:

Becka stood at the kitchen window washing dishes. She thought to herself how many people had come and tried to count in her head. "Now let's see... With Lida, Aaron, Me, Abe, Able, Bart, Cain, Addie, Beth, Calliope, Addie, Taffita, Kaitlyn, nik, the two elves. She stopped. "Hey, she said to Lida and Chrissy, the elves, they don't have names! We have to name them, I mean even the animals have names." Then she went back to her counting. "IlikeSeven, Chrissy, Sabe, Melanie, Bill and Lenny." She kept track on her fingers. "We've got 22 people here now." :laugh: She said in a shocked tone. Lida and Chrissy also looked shocked :waaaa:

Just then the girls came back downstairs, now in clean, dry clothes.

"What is it?" Abigail asked, seeing the shocked looks on the faces of Lida, Becka, and Chrissy.

"Oh, it's nothing," Becka told her daughter. "It's simply that I just realized that there are now 22 people living here. That's quite a lot for one house."

"Yikes," Kaitlyn said.

"Yes yikes," Lida said. "Now you girls run along outside."

"Yes ma'am!" the six of them answered simultaniously, and ran out the door.

The girls ran outside, but then sreeched to a halt as suddenly the elves ran past them, knocking Kaitlyn and Taffita over.

"Hey, watch wher you're going!" Abbie yelled after them as her two

friends picked themselves up.

The elves stopped and turned. "Why don't 'you' watch where 'you're' going!" one of them yelled back.

"We were."Kaitlyn said. "You werethe ones who weren't paying attention!"

"You were running like maniacs!" Beth said.

"And I wonder why?" Taffita added. "I bet you two ran away from the men again! You did, didn't you?"

"What does it matter to you?" the other elf retorted.

"Because if you did, then we're going to get you and put you back in the out house where you belong!" Taffita said.

"Taffy, I don't know if that's a good idea-" Kaitlyn said.

"I'm with her," Abbie said.

"Oh come on you guys," Taffita said.

Abbie and Kaitlyn looked at each other, then shrugged. "Why not?" Abbie said.

"Then let's go!!" Taffita yelled. "Get them!"

All six girls ran after the elves, and the two elves laughed and ran off, already enjoying the chase.

After supper was almost finished. Becka stood up then said.

"Can I have your attention everyone?" The room got quiet and everyone looked at her as she spoke. "We have a bit of a problem and I need all your help with this. These two elves who are now part of the family, like it or not, don't have names. nik has failed to name them so I think it's up to all of us to do that. What do you think? We'll make it a sort of contest and whoever comes up with the the winning names will get a special prize." Becka told them. All the children got excited and started chattering with each other. "Hold on now. Don't discuss your ideas for names, someone might win with YOUR idea. Alright everyone?" She asked. Everyone agreed, even the adults, to keep their names a secret. "Now everyone will have one week to come up with TWO, that's 2 names for our elves. And no matter how much we don't like them or how much trouble they cause around here, they still deserve to have names. I'll figure out some way for you to submit them to me, ok?" She continued. "And I will be the only judge, unless you think I wouldn't be fair. Is that alright with everyone??" She concluded. Everyone agreed that Becka would make a good, impartial judge and agreed.

post-897-1101663486.jpgpost-897-1101663486.jpg

"OK, everyone now, 'NAME THOSE ELVES'." Becka said then sat back down to finish her supper. :laugh: :wink2:

The next morning, Nik sat on the porch with a glass of iced tea watching the scene in the back yard and reading his autographed copy of “Eclectic ‘Possum Recipes From Around the World.” During the evening, the elves had taken apart the shack they had been living in and converted the pieces into toys. By morning, they were finishing the polishing of the toys with their aprons. Scattered on the lawn in front of them were several toy cars, dolls, remote-controlled airplanes, an X-Box, an inflatable wading pool, and many assorted stuffed animals. One of the elves held up a red, fuzzy stuffed animal and shouted across the lawn to Nik.

“Hey, fat boy! We invented a new toy this year. It’s called ‘Pork-Me Elmo.’ What do ya think?” Nik squinted at the creature in the elf’s hand, wrinkled his nose, and held a downturned thumb out in front of him.

“You better get rid of it before the kids come.” Nik shouted. The elf shrugged and tossed the red doll over his shoulder, and it vanished.

Several of the children ran out onto the porch beside Nik and stared slack-jawed at the scene on the lawn. One of the girls, tugging at Nik’s jeans, looked up at him and spoke.

“How did they do that?” The girl’s eyes were wide. Nik shrugged slightly.

“They’re Christmas elves. That’s what they do.” Nik and the children watched for a few minutes, and Nik finally spoke loudly.

“OK, kids! Go play with the toys. Then we’ll sit down and I’ll show you some pictures of the Tooth Fairy’s new motorcycle. He got a tattoo on his right shoulder that looks just like it, too!”

The kids cheered and ran out onto the lawn, swarming about the elves, who had since each sat down with a can of beer and a satisfied grin.

Lida stood at the back screen door watching the children play. Becka kept her eye on them from the kitchen window. The children playing with the elves made the women nervous. Even the woman in the window was watching. :laugh:

Edited by Jeanway

Daniel and Crystal's faint ghostly images watched Becka's speech from the mirrors, for a moment she looked directly at us then winced slightly with discomfort at our presence. Daniel snorted his objection, "her, make a good judge, she can't even look at us." I smiled softly and put my arm around him, "it's not us Daniel, it's what we represent. In her 'Amish' mind we're the undead and most likely she feels we're an evil presence." "We've never harmed anyone here, we even protected Aaron while he was in the well." Daniel countered. He was right about that but Becka was and always had been sensitive to the demention we represented and most like in her childhood she was told to ignore her minds eye. Bill and Lenny saw us for the first time too and were very curious, they got up from the dinner table and examined the mirror and looked for devices that created our images. Lida laughed that their attempt to explain us as a trick of the lighting, shadows, a joke mirror, or a projection of some sort. Bill wasn't aware that I was a living creature and winked at me in a purely wicked manner. My image pulled back closer to my husband's side. Daniel was enraged by Bill's behavior and throw a basket of dinner rolls at him then we retreated up to Lida's room.

Edited by BlueCrystal

Lida retreated to her room for a few hours of solitude since most of the children were outside. The men were shearing and Becka and Chrissy both seemed to be in a bad mood.

She sat on a chair in front of the mirror and played the guitar softly, love songs and a few little songs she had made up herself. The man and woman in the mirror seemed to enjoy this and began a sort of dance in the mirror. They'd float, disappear then reappear in a flash of colored lightspost-897-1101679514.gif which cascaded down the mirror in a showerpost-897-1101679561.gif. Very beautiful to watch and Lida tried to come up with the music to go with their little display.post-897-1101679595.gif The three of them did this for hours, even the man seemed to be having fun, until Becka called upstairs for Lida to come down and help with supper. The two images disappeared in a cloud of smoke, and Lida went downstairs, smiling. :laugh: And humming to herself.

Edited by Jeanway

It had snowed overnight. Everyone got their first glimpse of Eden under a blanket of white. The farm looked different somehow. It seemed to renew everyone's out-look. The passing of the Seasons will do that.

After breakfast the girls went out to the barn to milk and feed the animals. The elves were locked in a different out-building last night since they demolished the last one. This time they were in the Smoke-House. Which had a small wood-stove in it and kept them warm overnight. Much better than laying on top of a cow to keep warm. Plus the fact there was food in there with them. They seemed in a better mood this morning when nik let them out.

All the water troughs were frozen over so the children went about smashing the ice with the handles of shovels and axes so the animals could drink. Addie brought a steaming bucket of hot water out to little Ephram, the baby elephant, and both he and Ella dipped their trunks in it and drained it dry.

Becka made a large pot of hot chocolate that morning, which was a real treat. Along with apple-fritters and scrambled eggs for breakfast.

The Old barn had a wood stove. So all the doors were closed tight when Aaron lit it. The animals in that barn were very lucky. Also that's where all the computers were, up in the loft. It was a good time to get back on the site and see if anyone else was coming to Eden. all the children went up to the loft after the chores were done for a while before lunch.

post-897-1101741613.jpgIt was wash-day again. With 22 people in the house this washday would probably stretch out til the middle of the week.

The women had been washing since early morning. Taking large pots of hot water from the kitchen to the laundry room. It was exhausting work. The wood stove in the laundry room had also been stoked to get it warm in there.

The larger items were hung outside on the clothes-lines. The smaller ones like clothes were hung inside on the lines that could be lowered by pulleys then raised again, up towards the ceiling. It was very warm and humid in the laundry room.

Edited by Jeanway

post-897-1101757532.jpg Lida planned a special supper that night. She was busy in the kitchen with Chrissy.

They spent most of the afternoon baking bread and cutting up cheese. Occassionally someone would come into the kitchen and ask them what they were making. "It's a surprise" Was the only answer either of them gave.

Lida was determined to use up what was left of the hard cider in a way that wouldn't waste it. :frusty: Without everyone getting 'Snockered' again :look:

Chrissy and Lida went to the cellar for the cheese, ham and the rest of the jugs of hard cider. The ham was also cut up into cubes.

Huge pots were filled with cider then boiled. Then after adding a few spices and some flour the cheese was added by handfuls and stirred constantly until it turned into a thick, hot cheese mixture. The bread was also cut up into cubes.

Just before suppertime the plates of cubed ham and bread were set out on the tables. Then two of the three large pots with hot cheese were placed on the adult table and one on the children's.

Together Lida and Chrissy yelled from the back door. "SUPPER!" Everyone came running from all directions. They all took their places at the tables and after Abe said the blessing, Lida instructed most of them in how to work the "Fondue" post-897-1101758611.jpg:look:

Edited by Jeanway

Since Becka and the girls did laundry all day, they were exhausted. "How's it going Beck?" Lida asked her. "Well, we ran out of soap, I mean the powdered kind. The only thing left out there are bars of home-made lye soap and that is really rough on the skin. We'd better take a ride into Angola tomorrow and see what we can find. Who wants to go to Angola with me?" Becka asked. All the children spoke up. A day away from the farm was a real treat for them. "Alright, we'll go in the morning, right after breakfast." She told them.

Then Abe cleared his throat. "Becka, why don't we all go into town? We certainly have enough trucks to carry us all and enough room for whatever we need to bring back? There are some things I could use at the hardware store and maybe we could swing by 'Big C' Lumber Yard and pick up one a those forklifts for Aaron." He added with a chuckle. "Neva know when one a those might come in handy out here. Nope, ya neva know." He said as he slid a chunk of bread and one of ham on his fork and twirled it in the pot of hot cheese.

The next morning everyone piled into the trucks, and they were on there way to Angola. They brought plenty of food for the trip.

All of the children had been up early and ready to leave well before breakfast, eagerly waiting for it to be time to leave. Now as all seven girls sat together in the back of one of the trucks, they talked excitedly about the trip that had just begun.

"Okay, so where is it we're going again?" Kaitlyn asked. Being the newest of the girls, she didn't know.

"We're going to Angola," Taffita supplied.

"It's the nearest town to Eden," Abigail added.

"I can't wait 'till we get there!" little Mellie said, bouncing up and down. She had begged and begged her mother until Mrs.ILS had agreed to let her ride with the rest of the girls.

"We'll get there in a few hours, Mel. Calm down," Beth said, laughing.

"But I wanna get there 'now'," Mellie said, still bouncing up and down with excitement.

"We'll get there son enough, Mellie," Kaitlyn said, reaching over and taking the youngest girl onto her lap. "Now stop bouncing around or I'll tickle you." She started to tickle her. Mellie giggled and pushed Kaitlyn's hands away.

"Oh, all 'right'," Mellie said, still smiling.

Kaitlyn smiled down at the top of Mellie's head. Abigail leaned over to whisper to her friend, noticing sadnes in her eyes.

"Somthing wrong, Kaitlyn?" She asked, concerned.

"No, not really. It's just that she reminds me of my little sister. I miss Kelly, she annoyed me somtimes, but I really liked her. I used to call her Kel-mel." Kaitlyn smiled fondly at the memory.

Abigail put an arm around her best friend's shoulder. "That's nice. Now cheer up a little more. We're going to have a great time!"

"I know," Kaitlyn said. " I can't wait!"

Seeing as how there were six girls in the truck for hours, things got a little close for Taffita. Therefore, she got out her TI-83 Plus Silver Edition and started playing games on it. As soon as the other girls saw it, they wanted to learn too, especially the younger ones. That made Taffita wonder what the children at EDEN were doing for education. She resolved to ask Lida, who had sort of become the unofficial head of the house in some way, about it. She herself had no problem, as one of the Dartmouth students left had shown her and Nathan where some high school level books were and offered to tutor if they had trouble with any concepts. An idea came to her mind- if she could find some more school books by in New Hampshire and bright them here, maybe a little school could be started. She exited her game and began taking notes on her calculator. At last, they arrived at Angola.

In the center of town stood what was left of the church. :look: It had been torn apart. Probably by the tornado that ripped through the area a few weeks before. Lida got out of the truck and walked up to the pile of rubble. She looked around then said to herself "The Bell, the signal for us, it's smashed." She looked around sadly. :look::look: If anyone had come to Angola and were going to signal us to come from the farm, they wouldn't have been able to. Dear Lord." Lida was obviously upset now.

Taffita, Kaitlyn and Addie walked up behind her and noticed she was crying. They asked what was wrong and she told them. "Oh" they all said and they too felt sad. After a few minutes they all went over to the truck, got back in and proceded down Main St. to the General Store to look for all the laundry soap and bleach and cleaning supplies they could haul away. The men were making the rounds too. First the hardware store then the lumber-yard and anyother store they spotted along the way.

Lida and the girls cleaned out the general store. The younger girls concentrated on the candy shelves. The older girls on the magazine racks and cosmetics and personal care items like shampoos and conditioners and make-up, alot of make-up. This little store had everything. Lida and Becka went for the baking supplies and staples. When they were finished it looke like a tornado had hit the place. :frusty:

The truck was now loaded with bags and bags on the back. Everyone got everything they could have wanted. Just then Abe and Aaron and ILikeSeven and nik pulled up in their truck, ready to head back to Eden. Lida pulled out and followed them.

Nearly out of town, they passed a small motel. Lida noticed a little sports car parked out front with a woman reaching in across the seat from the driver's side. The men were well ahead of them now but Lida saw the woman and pulled over, stopped then backed the truck up to see who this was. Lida honked the horn, the woman backed out of the inside of her car,post-897-1101788819.jpg stood up and turned around. Everyone in the truck and all the children on the back just stood there, mouths open, like this: :frusty::look::look::look::hug::wow::wow:;) :o :o At what they saw.

Edited by Jeanway