Sign in to follow this  
Jeanway

~~ EDEN ~~

Lida stood in the doorway of the barn's loft and looked out onto the yard. The two trucks and the hay wagon loaded down with lumber for the new barn. "Aaron, we have to get this lumber unloaded and the new barn built before they get here. Where else are we going to keep the sheep otherwise? Winter is coming you know." She waited for an answer. "AARON????" she turned around as did everyone else to look at Aaron who was sitting in the back of the loft at his computer. His head was resting on the keyboard and he was snoring.

The two clouded images held each other in the mirror. They watched Lida as she slept. As the room got brighter with the rising sun, they kissed then vanished. Lida caught sight of them in the mirror at the last possible second, just as she opened her eyes.

Abe and Aaron were already outside in the yard unloading the trucks. "We should have taken the forklift back here with us. Would have made this so much easier." Aaron said to Abe. "Neva thought a that." Abe answered. "Well, maybe next trip into Angola we can get it." Aaron answered. "Sounds goot to me." Abe replied. Just then the boys came outside to help. "Mother has breakfast almost ready Pa." Bart said. " What's she makin?" Aaron asked. "Pancakes and sausage." He answered. And with that Abe and Aaron threw the last plank onto the ground and headed for the kitchen door.

The boys followed. "Wash your hands now. Don't be sittin down with dirty hands." Becka said as they came into the kitchen. They both stood at the sink, Abe worked the pump and washed up before breakfast. "Where's the plans Aaron?" Abe asked. "Their in my room, I'll run up and get them, we can look at them while we eat. Becka overheard this. "There'll be NO readin at the table you two. We don't allow the children to do it, not settin a good example, shows disrespect for the labours of the cook." She said in a loud voice. They both sat down and ate. This was wash-day and Becka and the girls were anxious to get started. They quickly cleared the table after the men went back out side with the boys reluctantly following.

Aaron opened up the plans for the new barn on the back of the truck and they all studied them. "Get the shovels boys, let's start diggin out the foundation." Abe ordered. They began the new barn................

By noon they had dug out the trench and laid in the large planks. They were very hungry with all this physical labor, sweaty and dirty. "We best wash up out here before we go in for lunch, Becka will have a fit we all show up like this." Abe told everyone. They washed in the animal's water trough outside the old barn. Then went in the house. The kitchen was empty. Becka and the girls, Addie, Abigail, Beth and Calli were no where to be seen. Abe called out. "Beckaaaa!!!!" she didn't answer. He went out to the laundry room. It too was empty. "Where tha heck are they?" He said out loud to himself. when he heard some laughter coming from outside, in the side yard. It seems a stray baby bear had wandered into the laundry room earlier and they were outside feeding it and playing with it. "OH My" He said. "What Abe?" Becka asked him. " The mama bear is probably looking for her yungun. You all better get inside before she shows up here and kills one of us."

The girls screamed and began to cry but did as their father told them, Becka followed. They came back inside and bolted the door shut from the inside and went back up to the kitchen.

The boys and Aaron found the ham that Becka had sitting on the sideboard and were slicing the loaves of bread for snadwiches. "Go get us some pickles will ya?" He said to Bart. Bart went down to the cellar.

As they all sat around the table eating lunch Lida came downstairs. "Sorry everyone, I must have been really tired, what time is it?" She asked. "Past noon"

Becka said. "Ya hungry?" "Starved. Mmm, that ham looks good. I think I'll fry up some eggs with a nice slab of ham." She told her.

Aaron watched Lida at the stove. He tried to not be obvious about it. But he couldn't seem to look away. The sun was shining in the window and creating a halo of light around her. When in the windows reflection Aaron saw the face of another woman, not Lida's face. He nearly choked on his sandwich. When he rubbed his eyes and looked again, it was gone. He didn't say anything about it.

At the sink, Lida was pulling up on the pump handle and pushing it down. Trying to fill the water pitcher for the table. "EEYOOOWEE!!" She yelled. "Anybody else smell that?? WHEW!" She said as she waved her hand in front of her nose. Abe got up, so did Aaron and walked to the sink. "Yepp, smells like we got a dead critter in the well." :sly: Gotta go down and fish it outa there right now." Abe said. "Come on boys, I need your help.

" Everyone followed Abe outside to the well cover on the ground. He lifted it up and threw it aside on the grass then knelt down and stuck his head down into the well and took a good long sniff, then began to cough. "O.K., who's goin down? He asked. The boys looked at each other, then over at Aaron. "Me?" He said as he pointed at himself. "OH, alright, I'll do it." He got on the ladder and began to slowly climb down. "I can't see a thing down here. It's dark in here you know." He yelled as his voice echoed above. "OH, I forgot ta give ya tha bucket." Abe said as he dropped it down to Aaron. "Catch!" CLUNK! It hit Aaron on the head then bounced off into the water below him. "I can't see it, how am I going to grab it." He yelled. "Don't need ta see it, just feel around, you'll find it alright." Abe yelled. "O.K." Aaron answered.

Edited by fenriz275

post-897-1100533212.jpgOverview

The St. Lawrence River and Seaway is of vital geographic and economic importance to the Great Lakes system, connecting the lakes to the Atlantic Ocean and providing navigation to deep-draft ocean vessels. Approximately 800 miles (1,287 km) long, the St. Lawrence River can be divided into three broad sections: the freshwater river, which extends from Lake Ontario to just outside the city of Quebec; the St. Lawrence estuary, which extends from Quebec to Anticosti Island; and the Gulf of St. Lawrence, which leads into the Atlantic Ocean.

The St. Lawrence River drops 226 feet between Lake Ontario and Montreal, Canada. To allow vessels to pass through the river and in and out of the Great Lakes, the St. Lawrence Seaway, a massive American-Canadian navigational project, was begun in 1954 and completed in 1959. The Seaway created the final link in the Great Lakes-St. Lawrence River system, connecting Duluth, Minnesota, some 2,340 miles (3,766 km) away, with the head of the Gulf of St. Lawrence, through a complex system of lakes, rivers, deepened channels, locks, and canals.

Edited by Jeanway

This shows the route ILikeSeven and his family are taking to the Port of Michiana in Indiana where we will meet them:

post-897-1100535134.gif

Edited by Jeanway

The water in the well seemed to take on a life of it's own and shot a jet of cold fluid up at Aaron. It slapped the walls of the well like an angry storm and again pitched the water upward like an oil well had struck oil and deposited the dead carcass of an animal at Abe's feet. Aaron hung to the ladder for dear life screaming both praise to God and swearing! The bucket full of water was poured over him and he hear a faint whisper as the bucket covered his head. He would swear he imagined it as it was a cold November day but he felt as though he had been encased or surrounded by something and he was warm not dry but still warm. The waters in the well calmed and the whisper said softly, 'Go back up, it's safe now and the carcass is out.'

Everyone stood and watched in amazement as the shooting fountain of water came out of the ground. Lida yelled to Aaron as the spout receded back into the well. "Are you alright?" She called down to him. She could see the top of his head, just barely as he clung to the metal ladder. "What the H*ll was that?" He yelled. "I don't know Sweetie but the dead thing is over there, come on out." Lida told him.

Everyone gathered around the somewhat unrecognizable creature that lay on the ground. "Looks like an Alien to me." Bart said. "I declare, I ain't never seen anything like this before, what is it?" Abe said. Everyone just looked at it. "Should we bury it?" Becka asked Abe. "Since it has 2 legs and 2 arms and a head AND a tail but it sure ain't human. What are we going to do with it? Abel and the girls looked at it closer, then closer. When "UH, it moved!!!! Abigail screamed. "It's alive? Cain yelled. The thing began to twitch then turn a bright shade of green. It opened it bulbous eyes and looked up at everyone, sat up, screached, then ran off across the field. :sly:

The boys took off after it. The girls ran for the house screaming. Lida, Aaron, Abe and Becka just stood there for a second watching. "No, leave it alone!" Abe yelled to the boys. They all stopped and came back. "Let's get inside." Lida said. The adults went back in the house after the boys. Making sure they didn't try chasing the thing again.

Back in the kitchen their food, which was on the table was scattered all over the floor or gone. They left in such a hurry they left the back door wide open. A large pile of something acrid was on the back porch. Remanants of a visit by some large animal, probably the bear looking for it's cub. Everyone stood around in bewilderment. An alien type creature in the well, now this. They were NOT having a good day.

Abe got a shovel and removed the pile from the stoop and brought it out to the back field. Becka, Lida and the girls set about cleaning up the kitchen and making a new lunch for everyone. "Grilled Cheese sandwiches alright with everyone?" Lida asked. "Yea, sounds good." Aaron answered. "How about some nice bean salad to go with that?" Lida asked. Everyone agreed so she sent the girls to the cellar for the three different kinds. All put up in mason Jars.

Edited by Jeanway

Green beans mixed and on the table. The children chattered wildly about the "Thing" in the well. Abe sat quietly then cleared his throat as he swallowed the last of his sandwich. "Children? Now I'm spreaking to you girls now." He began. "We are ALL going to have to help with building the new barn. ILikeSeven and his family will be here in a week. We need all hands busy around here. We have a new flock of Dutch Sheep arriving and they'll need to be inside." The girls looked at each other. 'You want us to help BUILD the barn Pa?" Beth asked. "Yep, sorry but that's the reality of it." He answered.

After the table was cleared and the kitchen cleaned up the girls, Lida and Becka joined the men outside.

The girls began dragging the long planks over to the foundation. This took them most of the afternoon. Aaron and Abe mulled over the plans and instructed the boys with what to do next. Slowly the walls were built on the ground. The girls helped alot and took frequent rests. Lida and Becka did their share as well, but had to quit and go inside earlier than the rest to prepare supper.

The aroma of something delicious wofted through the air. Everyone was very tired and hungry. Lida came out and told them supper was ready. "Go wash up in the trough before you come in, your Ma will have kittens you go in there all dirty like this." She told them. They all washed their face and hands and brushed off as much of the dirt from their clothes as they could.

Becka and Lida had gone to the barn and killed 4 chickens and dressed them and boiled them in a huge pot. They made a chicken stew with peas and carrots and dumplings, everyone's favorite. Everyone ate their fill. Becka decided to let the girls off kitchen chores tonight since they had worked so hard outside. All the children went to the loft and Lida and Becka cleaned up. Abe and Aaron sat on the front porch, drank hot tea and chatted about Men's stuff. :sly:

When they decided to join the children in the loft. As did Becka and Lida. Aaron logged onto the site. "Hey, I got a PM from ILikeSeven." He said to Lida. "Eww, where are they now?" She asked him. "He says he's at the Eisenhower Lock. He's had to get off the boat to open the lock then get back on after it went through." Aaron read outloud. "Mmm, sounds like they're having a bit of trouble to me, that can be exhausting. May take them a while to get through all of them." Lida said.

Edited by Jeanway

ILikeSeven had a map of the Locks. Apparently there are about 7 or 8 he has to navigate through in this manner. He says he'll PM us on his progress as he goes through each one and that will tell us approximately how far away from the Port of Michiana he is and how long before we have to head out to meet them.

Everyone made it an early night, another day of hard physical labour tomorrow. All the lamps were out, all the children in bed when the adults finally fell asleep as well.

Just before dawn Lida awoke to sounds below her room, the kitchen. She got up and looked into each bedroom to see if anyone was up before her. No one was, all the beds were occupied. She crept down the stairs quietly holding a lose piece of railing in her hand that she grabbed on her way down. She got to the bottom of the stairs and carefully and slowly peeked around the doorjamb into the kitchen. She couldn't believe her eyes. Plates were moving through the air by themselves. Glasses and cups were floating. The pump handle was moving up and down by itself and the stove was hot and a big kettle of water was steaming on the stove. She hung back and just watched. Hoping someone else would wake up and come downstairs. She was frozen with fear. :sly:

Edited by Jeanway

"We should go, " Daniel said as he set the table for breakfast, "no matter what we try they ignore our presence or find ways to explain what we do away." I flipped the eggs in the skillet and laughed, "they'll have a hard time explaining our fixing them breakfast and so what if they never fully understand that we've come to visit EDEN." I looked toward the door to a creaking noise and spotted the Lida woman watching our actions. The look of horror on her face. I knew she couldn't see me other than faint reflections of me, or hear my voice without her soul loving me so slowly I picked up a cup and saucer and made her some tea. Cautiously I walked to her offering the tea. My faint image in the glass window pane appeared in front of her as Daniel whispered softly under his breath, "take it...come on, take it." Lida couldn't hear us but I hoped she knew us to be friendly...beings.

Edited by BlueCrystal

Lida watched the tea cup and saucer float in the air towards her then stop right in front of her. She reached out and slid her hand under the saucer. The hot tea jiggled in the cup, she was shaking. "Who are you?" Lida asked. Then she waited for some sort of response, not knowing where or how it would come. "Anyone there?" She asked again, still nothing. she walked toward the table and sat down. "I'm here, talk to me if you can." She said. She sat quietly knowing that if there were beings about they might try to communicate with her. Then she laughed to herself. "What am I saying? Look what you've done here. I know your here, it's alright, don't be afraid of me. This explains alot." She sat and drank her tea with a smile on her face.

Just then a rumble of children thundered down the stairs, Aaron in the lead, they must have smelled the bacon that was cooked and sitting on a large platter in the warming oven on the top of the stove. And corn muffins. It smelled heavenly. The back door blew open and in what appeared to be a mix of haze and smoke she saw the figures of two people blow out the door. She laughed. "Come back again when you can stay longer." She shouted. Then the door blew shut. :sly:

Edited by Jeanway

Aaron came downstairs first, just as the sun was rising. He walked in the kitchen, Lida was sitting at the table which was already set for breakfast. She was sipping from a cup of tea. The smell of cooked food made Aaron's mouth water, he say down beside Lida.

"Wow Sweetie. You didn't have to get up early and make breakfast for all of us. It does look wonderful though." Aaron said.

Lida took a long drink from her cup. "I didn't do all of this." She said.

"Oh? I thought Becka was still asleep." Aaron replied, heaping a plate with food.

"She is." Lida answered.

"The girls?" Aaron asked, Lida shook her head. "The boys?" He asked again, very confused now.

"No. It was the ghosts." Lida said.

Lida had expected some kind of response from Aaron when she revealed to him what she had suspected for some time. Instead she was met with silence. She was starting to think she'd made a mistake saying anything to him about this when he finally spoke.

"I thought I was the only one who suspected that." Aaron said.

"You've seen things to? Why didn't you say anything?" Lida asked.

"I thought it was just me." Aaron replied, now he was feeling more than a little foolish about not saying anything.

"I wonder if these ghosts have anything to do with that umm...creature that shot out of the well yesterday?" Aaron wondered.

"I'll bet it does. We should discuss this with Abe and Becka when they get up. The children too, if we've seen things they probably have as well." Lida sipped from her cup, she realized how hungry she was. She fixed herself a plate.

When Abe, Becka, and the children came down for breakfast Aaron and Lida told them about the ghosts. Becka had seen unusual things too. They all chattered away while they ate. Everyone revealing every weird thing that they had experienced recently.

Abe ate 4 corn muffins and about a pound of bacon and six hard-cooked eggs then washed it all down with a quart of cranberry juice. He burped, long and loud then stood up. "Ready children? We got a barn to build." He stated as he headed for the backdoor. Aaron, the boys and the girls followed, except for Abigail.

She went over to her mother and whispered something in her ear. "Abe." She called out to him. "Abbie isn't feeling well this morning, she'll come out later, after lunch, alright?" Abe turned around and stuck his head back inside, gave Becka a wink and said. "Sure honey, I understand." then he left. Becka set about making a special 'brew' for Abbie. "You go back to bed now Sweetie, I'll bring it up to you when it's ready." She told her. Abbie went back upstairs holding her side.

Two of the walls for the barn were built and laying on the ground. The third wall was near completion. The girls were getting rather adept at swinging a hammer. The boys showed them what to do and the girls seemed to be having fun.

Lida and Becka, as usual, quit a bit early to go back in and make lunch for everyone. Becka went upstairs right off to check on Abbie, she was sound asleep, she didn't disturb her.

The rendered fat was melting in two huge pots on the stove, the chickens were cut up and floured and seasoned and ready to fry. Becka cut potatos for frying into huge planks with the skin still on them. They began the frying. The house filled with the smell of spices from the chickens coating and Abbie woke up and came downstairs. "Can I help Mother?" She asked. "Well, look who's up. You feeling better Sweetie?" She asked "Much. Thanks." Abbie answered. She joined them at the stove.

It didn't take long for the smell of the fried chicken to reach everyone's noses outside. The trek to the water trough began, then into the kitchen door.

Everyone was already tired. They took their time eating lunch since it meant more time to sit and not swing a hammer or drag a plank. Abe was in high spirits as was Aaron, they were starting on the fourth and final wall this afternoon.

"A Barnraising is a big event you know. Usually everyone in the county would come to take part. But I think we can do it. It's hard, but I think we can." Abe told Lida and Aaron. " We've been to many back in Lafayette ya know, was great fun." Becka added. "I think sometime tomorrow we'll be able to have all four walls standing then we can start on the roofin. We should have it done by the time ILikeSeven reaches Port of Michiana. Oh, by the way, anyone checked the site? Seen if he Pmed us??" Abe asked. "I did last night Abe." Lida said. "He's tryng to get through the locks, it'll be a few days yet."

Then Lida asked Abe. "How long do you think it'll take us to get to Michiana from here Abe? With the two trucks and the wagon? I was thinking, we may need more than two trucks for all those sheep." Abe answered. "Well, we can always pick up a few more along the way. I'd say it'll take us about 6 to 8 hours to drive there."

"O.K. then Abe, who is going with us? Aaron and I can both drive, you and who else can drive? I know Able and Abigail are certainly old enough to learn. We may very well need 4 trucks, maybe 5. Becka will have to stay here with the children, right?" Lida asked. "I'm not up for another trip, yes, I want to stay here." becka added. The four younger children moaned in disappointment. "Now, you remember how tired we all were by the time we got here?" She asked them. "Yea" They said in agreement. "So it's settled then. Who is going to teach Able and Abigail how to drive a truck??" Abe looked at Lida. "Hmmm?" Lida answered. "Sure Abe, no problem, we'll start this afternoon after lunch. If you can spare them for a few hours." :lol:

While the adults discussed plans for driving, the younger people took the opportunity to get on the site. Bart was very surprised and pleased to find a PM from Taffita. Apparently she had not forgotten about them. It read,

"Hello Bart,

I have been keeping up with EDEN's progress by messages on the site. The barn raising sounds interesting; last time I read of one was when I was into the Little House on the Big Prairie books. :lol: I hope you get time to read this. I just wanted to thank everyone for their support and let them know that I hae arrived in New Hampshire safely. We were unable to find Nathan's friends in New York, so continued to my destination and decided to settle down at Dartmouth College. Since we have a bunch more resources here then at a farm, let me know if you need anything. Also thank Lida for her hospitality and for being my honorary "big sister." Tell everyone I love and miss them!

Love, Taffy =/\="

Bart smiled a little and printed the PM out to show to the others. Apparently Eden's magic worked even from a few hundred miles away. Taffita missed being part of their community, and maybe when she matured a few more years, she would decide to come back.

Bart took the printed PM around to everyone and read it out loud. He was so happy to hear for his lovely Taffita :lol: He slumped in one corner of the loft and read and re-read it to himself. "She MIGHT come back. She MIGHT come back." He said over and over to himself, holding the page to his chest. Everyone knew how much he cared for her and how much her leaving with Nathan affected him. :congrats:

"Alright children, back to work, let's go." Abe yelled from outside the barn. The children all streamed down the ladder then outside to their father who stood there clapping his hands together to hurry them along. All except for Abbie and Able who were getting in the truck with Lida. Becka stayed in the kitchen for a bit to clean up after lunch and to peel potatos to make potato salad for their supper. Once she got them on the stove to cook she went outside for a while to 'Supervise' :lol: :wink2:.

"I brought a pad of paper with us to show you two about 'shifting gears' ". Lida said to Able and Abbie as they sat in the truck in the yard. She drew a diagram for them so they would understand about shifting. She then explained about the 'clutch'. "This will engage the transmission. You only shift when you press down on the clutch, otherwise you'll damage the gears and the truck will be out of commision and we don't want that to happen. Here let's take a little ride and I'll explain it as I show you how to shift." She told them. She drove up the road and out of sight with Able and Abbie watching her every move.

Meanwhile the hammering had started again and Abe, Aaron, Bart, Cain, Beth, Callie and Addie worked for the next few hours on the fourth and final wall of the barn.

The truck was seen by Becka passing the farm out the kitchen window. Back and forth, back and forth. She could make out the faint sounds of grinding gears and a whinning engine, she chuckled to herself. The window was open and Baby Tongue and Kes sat in the sun next to her as she fed them bits of raw potato as she peeled.

Edited by Jeanway

Finally, the huge pot was full. She placed it on the stove then pumped the handle at the sink and filled the pitcher over and over and dumped it in the pot, then stoked the stove to get the fire up. She closed the window and was going to go outside when she caught sight of a small number of green images moving across the field outside, they disappeared into the woods. She walked out to the front porch and stood there for a few minutes to get a better look. The didn't show themselves again so she joined the rest of the family at the barn.

"Abe, I saw something out in the field. It looked like the thing that was in the well is back and has brought friends this time." Becka told him. He looked towards the field and the woods. "There" She said as she pointed in that direction.

Edited by Jeanway

The truck could be heard before it was seen. It came down the dirt road kicking up a cloud of dust as it approached the house. Abbie was behind the wheel. She pulled up to the barn and jumped out. "Mother, Father, I can drive!!!" :lol: She yelled in excitement. Lida and Able got out and walked over to them. "I saw sweetheart." Becka said. Abe praised his oldest daughter. "And Able, how'd you do?" he asked. "Great Father, it was easy." Able told him. Becka and Abe looked at Lida for confirmation. "Yep, they did just fine. Looks like we have two new drivers among us now." She said with an approving smile. They been out driving for nearly three hours, each of them drove the truck an equal amount of time without incident. They we pleased with themselves and set about hammering with the rest of the family.

Edited by Jeanway

It had occurred to Aaron as he worked that they were going to need a ramp to get the sheep up onto the backs of the trucks when they meet ILikeSeven at Michiana. "Abe, we are going to have to build a ramp for the sheep." He told him. "Right, I plum forgot about that. Well, there's plenty of lumber man, get to it." He told him. "I'm on it." Aaron said. Aaron pulled out a small pad of paper from his pocket and a pencil and began to draw a ramp. Then he bagan to drag a few palnks from the pile and set them up on two wooden horses and began sawing the cross pieces. It took him the rest of the afternoon to build it. About the time he finished, Lida and Becka were already back in the kitchen preparing supper.

Lida had ground up about 15 pounds of beef and pork and had made two large meatloafs which were now baking. The smell was making everyone hungrier than they already were. Becka had finished making the potato salad and it was standing on the table in two large bowls. "And how about some green beans with this?" Lida suggested. Becka agreed and they both went to the cellar to get 6 mason jars of green beans.

Aaron layed snoring in his bed in the room next to Lida's. This woke her up. She rolled over and looked at her mirror. Two smiling faces looked back at her. "Morning you two." She said. The two faces nodded and smiled even more, then they looked at each other. "Going to make breakfast for us again today?" Lida asked. A hand came to the woman's mouth as she tried to cover her laughter. The man looked at her and also began to laugh. "What shall I call you?" Lida asked. When the man blew his breath onto the mirror and wrote something in the mist. " L E I N A D." Then the woman did the same. " L O R A C ". Lida jumped from her bed to get a closer look but the mist faded along with the names. "Damn!" Lida said outloud. Then the two images faded away. She could hear them laughing behind the walls. :wink2:

Lida shook Aaron awake. "HUH" He said as he swung at her and hit her across the chest. Lida fell back and hit the wall. "OH, I'm sorry Sweetie, are you alright?" He asked. Lida just gulped and said. "Yea, I'm fine. Come on get up, you and I are going for a plane ride. I want to fly up North to see if we can spot ILikeSeven in the Seaway." Aaron looked at her with much trepidation. Flying in the tiny plane was NOT one of his most favorite things to do. "O.K., I'm up." He said as he hauled himself from his bed. "Now wash up and get dressed. We are leaving as soon as we have some breakfast." Lida told him. Aaron got a sort of funny look on his face and began to turn that funny shade of green like he did the last time they went flying.

Lida hurridly made them breakfast as Aaron got dressed. She ate as she cooked. Then scrawled a note hurredly and left it on the table next to his plate. It said

" Meet you out front. I'm going to do the pre-flight and I'll pull up in front of the house, be ready to go when you hear the engine, ok?"

Lida also left another note for Becka and Abe telling them where they were going and left it on the table.