Sign in to follow this  
Jeanway

~~ EDEN ~~

Bart took Taffita's hastly departure badly. He moped around for days. He took it personally. He thought she left because of him. He and Taffita being the same age, this was common. Thinking the world revolved around them. He never told anyone he felt this way but it was obvious to the adults. And of course his brothers tormented him about it. Bart withdrew from the family and spent much of his time in the black bedroom under the house. :laugh:

Addie would go to her old hiding place and read her Star Trek magazines. She would go see Bart in his. Eventually Addie drew Bart out of his despair with her silliness and optimism and he came back into the fold and joined his family again in the loft. :laugh:

While Aaron, Abe and the boys worked in the field to bring in the hay with the wagon, Becka, Lida and the four girls did some cleaning inside the house. It hadn't had a thorough cleaning since they arrived.

The floors were all swept and washed. As well as the windows and all the bed linens needed washing. Until at one point Lida noticed there weren't any mirrors in the house at all. She and Becka were discussing this when Aaron came into the kitchen for a snack and some water. He heard them talking. "I know where they all are." He spoke up interrupting their conversation. Becka looked at him strangely because there aren't usually any mirrors in and Amish home. "You do? Where?" Becka asked him. "Down in the tunnel between the house and the barn there is a room. All the walls in there have mirrors on them. I saw them the other week. I haven't gone back down there since, it was spooky in there." He told them. He neglected to mention the incident where he thought he saw the image of an young Amish man in one of the mirrors looking back at him.

Edited by Jeanway

"Come on, I'll show you." Aaron said and they all went down the ladder to the cellar.

Once inside the room, Aaron held up the lamp. "See." He said as he walked the entire perimeter of the room with the lamp. "Well, I'll be." Becka said. Since she was Amish herself. "Why are they all down here?" Lida asked her. "I have no idea." Becka answered. "Well, I'd like a mirror in my room." Lida said to Aaron. "Can you bring one up for me, Aaron?" Aaron agreed and took a large, guilded mirror down from the wall. As he held it in front of him, that Amish man's image appeared again and Aaron dropped the mirror and it smashed on the dirt floor. "Damn." He said. He didn't mention WHY he dropped it. He thought it was just his imagination playing tricks on him again.

He lifted a second mirror from the wall and headed out the door towards the ladder in the cellar. "Go up there and I'll pass it up to you." He told Lida and Becka.

They did and he held it up over his head and they grabbed it by the thick, wooden frame and pulled it up into the kitchen.

Edited by Jeanway

The mirror Aaron passed up to them was beautiful. It had metal vines of ivy around the edge.post-897-1098656193.gif Lida cleaned it up and it sparkled. After seeing it Aaron decided he wanted one too in his room so he went back down alone this time and within a few minutes was calling for Lida and Becka to take this one he was passing up to them.

This one he chose for his room was larger and very ornate. post-897-1098656255.jpg

Edited by Jeanway

Once they had put them up in their bedrooms, Becka decided she wanted one too. So this time Becka went down to the cellar alone. :laugh:

After Aaron had hung the mirrors. One in Lida's room and one in his, they were coming down the stairs to the kitchen when they heard a blood curdelling scream coming from the cellar. It was Becka!! :look: She was coming up the ladder to the kitchen screaming and in a state of panic. "There's a Man down there! She kept screaming. He was chasing me in the mirrors!" She kept saying over and over. Lida and Aaron had no idea what she was talking about and tried to calm her down. "Now Becka, calm down and tell us what happened." Lida said to her in a soft, calming tone. Becka repeated again. "There is a man in the cellar, behind the mirrors or in the mirrors, I don't know, it was dark and I dropped the lamp and it went out and I could hear him breathing." :laugh: Becka dissolved in a flood of tears. "My heart felt as though it was going to jump right out of my chest, Lida. I was terrified." She continued.

"I'll go have a look then. If someone is down there, I'll find him." Aaron said as he climbed down the ladder. "Wait, Aaron. Lida said. She ran up to her room and came back down quickly. She handed him a small pistol. "Use it if you have to to protect yourself, it's loaded." She said to him as she handed him the handle. Aaron took it and stuck it in his belt then he climbed down the ladder.

Now Aaron knew it wasn't his imagination after all. He stood in the tunnel. A lit candle in one hand the pistol in the other. He slowly pushed open the wooden door, it creaked. He stepped into the room and held the candle out in front of him. He stood there and turned slowly, illuminating the room and the mirrors. He walked to the altar and lit all the candles that were there, sat down on one of the benches and waited and listened.

It was cold and quiet. The cold dampness inched up through his feet and legs. Then up his back. It sent a shiver through him. He waited.

The hours passed. Abe and the boys came in for supper. Aaron could hear the sounds of their heavy boots on the ceiling above him, then all was quiet. Lida told Abe what was happening and everyone sat around the kitchen table, eating quietly.

As Abe finished his last forkful of chicken pie he got up. "I'm going down there, it's been too long and too quiet." He told them. He went down the ladder.

As he entered the tunnel he could see the light from the room spilling into it from the open door. He silently crept towards the door. Hearing talking coming from inside the room.

He got to the door and looked in before entering. And there was Aaron, stretched out on one of the long benches, sound asleep and talking in his sleep. The room was warm now from the dozens of lit candles on the alter. Aaron was tired and he hadn't eaten in hours, he just slumpt over and fell asleep. Abe shook him. "Come on man, time to get up. Let's go upstairs and have some supper." He said to him. "HUH?" Aaron awoke startled. He sat up and the two of them went back up the ladder to the kitchen.

The faint images of Daniel and Crystal appeared in a mirror in the darkened room beneath the grounds of an old Amish farm. In faint candle light we watched as an Amish looking man and a *English* looking fellow walked away with their backs towards us. We smiled softly to each other and faded into oblivion.

Edited by BlueCrystal

Becka was now feeling foolish. As did Aaron when he first saw something unexplained in the mirrors. Afraid to tell anyone for fear they'd think he was either lieing, imagining things or going off his nut. She avoided Aaron now as he ate his supper and Becka and the girls cleaned up. Lida, Abe and the boys were in the loft, on the site.

Becka tried to ease her upset by humming a hymn as she washed the dishes. In the window above the sink she glanced up to see a faint reflection of Crystal's face. It was then she realized she had stopped humming and yet the sound continued. Becka backed away from the sink, the plate in her hands slipped and crashed to the floor she screamed and cried out "der giest"!

Edited by BlueCrystal

"Mama, what is it?" Abigail screamed. Addie and Beth held onto each other and Calliope, Calli to everyone, ran to her mother's side. Becka was holding her ears trying NOT to listen to this apparition. "Stop! Stop it!" She yelled as she ran out to the barn to get Abe.

She climbed the ladder to the loft and ran to her husband in tears, again. "What is it Becka?" He asked as she clung to him. "I don't know Abraham, something is wrong with me. I think I am hearing and seeing things again." She said to him. He looked upset. This had happened before, many years ago when they came here to visit Abe's brother's family here at the farm in Indiana. But then the visions she had were in the lake's reflection. It happened twice. They spoke to their parish minister about this and he prayed with them and when she went back home to Lafayette it hadn't happened since. But now, here again, the visions are returning.

Edited by Jeanway

Abe finally calmed her down. "Why don't you log onto the site and talk with some of your friends, Becka?" He asked "Aye, that sounds a good idea Abe, it'll take my mind off of this." She said as she sat down at the computer next to him and logged on. But she was still upset. Then it occured to her that perhaps she really was seeing and hearing things in reflections. So she typed it into Yahoo Search and this is what it said:

"The Ghost in the Mirror

By: Samantha Gizel

In my opinion, one of the most spooky ways of seeing an apparition or ghost, is in a mirror. I have always found mirrors unnerving in a sense, especially at night. I am always expecting to see another face in the mirror besides mine. But I am not going crazy, and I am not the only one! There have been many cases over the years of photos depicting ghosts in mirror reflections!

The actual concept of the haunted mirror is legendary. You may not have noticed this, but the most notorious image, and best example, of a ghost in the mirror actually appears in the movie "Snow White", where the Evil Queen gazes into the mirror and speaks to her spirit trapped inside.

But the mirror is not the only shiny surface that ghosts like to reflect in. There have also been cases of errie faces seen on tabletops or cabinets, anything with a reflective surface. Strangley enough, there are very few reports of ghostly manifestations in the glass of windows, although there are plenty of photos of ghosts looking through them.

The concept of ghosts appearing in mirrors is actually very closely associated with the practice of scrying. Scrying is a form of fortune -telling. I know, the words almost automatically turn you off, but just listen! Scrying is where the fortune teller sees visions of the future will gazing into a mirror, or more commonly, a crystal ball. Also bowls of water are used as a gazing surface. In ancient times, wizards and seers peered into shimmering surfaces of water.

A true life example of a haunted mirror can be found in the St. Mathias Mission House in Huntington Park, California. The house was once occupied by an elderly couple, who eventually passed away there. Several witnesses can attest to the apparition of an older person seen in the mirror that hangs in what used to be their living room. The classic haunts also come with this mirror, of footsteps, moans, falling objects, and lights with minds of their own.

Another commmon example in the not so common mirror cases, is the haunted mirror inherited by a deceased family member. A beautiful mirror is passed down in the family after someone has died, and suddenly, the unlucky relative is seeing the face of their family member, long gone already!

The mirror is thought to be a portal of sorts, between many different worlds...mainly, the spirit world. There is an art you can try yourself at home, called Mirror Gazing, where you relax, gaze into the mirror, and attempt to see what lies ahead (not futuristically speaking). Although I have no desire to try, here is a link where you may learn more about mirror gazing."

Click For Spoiler
Just in case you don't remember who is who on the site. Here are the names we guessed that Abe and his family were on Startrekfans.Net back in "The Days After" RPG. {If any of you are really reading this story, feel free to jump in as the character if you want to. :laugh:

Abraham is Alterego

Abel is either Arms or Abakai

Abigail is most likely Abakai since it sounds female

Bart is Bateman

Becka is Bec

Beth is B'lanna Torres

Cain is Chapel and

Calliope is Cal

That night as Lida layed in her bed, she stared at the new mirror in her room. A single candle on the table next to her bed illuminated the room. She closed her eyes then opened them again still facing the mirror. As she closed her eyes for the last time, two images watched her from inside the mirror, then moved away.

"So this was what it was like?" I said softly as I gazed at a young woman asleep in a bed. Daniel smiled softly and nodded 'yes'. "It's like watching television but the people are real and not just playing characters." "Are they trapped or are we the ones that are trapped?" I questioned. "We are on a different plain of existence and as real as they are, neither one of us is *trapped*." Daniel looked out of the mirror and his eyes twinkled with such happiness.

It only seemed like moments that I had jumped into the beam of light and then awakened to find myself in Daniel's arms. The world we lived in was far different but rather than move on to enjoying the new surroundings, I wanted to somehow let people know I was okay and that their families and friends were alive and well.

My first contact wasn't so good, I felt bad about scaring the Amish woman, I thought if I had hummed with her and shared the hymn with her she wouldn't be so frightened. I was wrong she was terrified. 'Dir giest!' she said in fear. I had to tell Daniel she had cried out 'ghost' in German. I wanted to appear again but I didn't want to alarm her. I can't help but wonder if she felt the heat of my body as she walked right through me when she fled to the barn.

I turned to be with Daniel as we had things to do and still a private celebration. I also wanted to ask Daniel about that night in the truck. If what happen was what I think happened and not just a dream. I glanced back to see Barry crawl up on the bed with the woman and called him from off her arm as I feared he would wake her.

Edited by BlueCrystal

In the morning, the candle now burned out, Lida opened her eyes. She caught sight of what appeared to be a man and woman dancing together in the mirror. But only for an instant. She thought she was dreaming, rubbed her eyes and looked again. They were gone. She crawled out of bed, poured some water from the pitcher into the bowl and washed her face. "Better" She said. She got dressed and went down to the kitchen. She was the first one up. "Tea." She said to herself and placed the large kettle under the water spout and pulled up and pushed down on it's handle two or three times until it was filled. Then placed it on the stove. The fire was nearly out from the night before so she put some kindling in and got it started again, then some larger logs once it had flaired up.

Lida got breakfast started since she was the first one up. Aaron came down the stairs and sat at the table.

"What cha makin?" he asked her.

"Fried potatos, sausage and scrambled eggs, you hungry Sweetie?" She said. "Aaron, could you go down to the cellar and get a couple jars of cranberry juice? You know where they are, don't you? Next to the spice shelves." She asked him. Aaron went down and got the juice. Came back up and put them on the table. Meanwhile Abe and the boys came down stairs. Then Becka and the girls.

Abigail was in a bad mood, she had cramps and kept fighting with her sisters. She picked on Addie so much, Addie started crying.

"If you girls don't stop this right now you'll spend the rest of the day in your room!" Becka yelled.

They quieted down and everyone ate. Then the boys started talking about how badly the loft was getting. The smell from the animals below.

Abe said. "Well, it's their home, we can't have them outside all the time to do their business! Now you boys knock it off."

Aaron was aware of the problem recently but hadn't said anything to anyone YET.

"That barn was never meant to house so many animals." Abe remarked. "We're going to have to build another one. It'll be a lot of work but I think we have enough hands here. What do you think Aaron?" Aaron thought it over as he chewed.

"Well I've never built anything as big as a barn. I suppose I could do some on the job training." He replied.

"Good. We'll show you what to do. These boys have been lazing about long enough anyway. Idle hands." Abe said. The boys looked less than thrilled.

"Well, Abe. It would have to be twice the size of the existing barn and we'd have to find the lumber somewhere. You think there is a lumber yard around here anywhere? They'd surely have a truck there we could bring it back here with." Aaron suggested.

Edited by fenriz275

"Easy, do it slowly. Don't lose control." Daniel said as he was teaching me to move objects in the *human* dimension. My hand slipped and a jar of cranberry juice slide across the breakfast table and went crashing to the floor next to Abe. "Whoops, sorry." I apologized though they couldn't hear me. I looked at Daniel with a defeated gaze.

Edited by BlueCrystal

Suddenly there was a crash at the far end of the table. Since everyone was looking and listening to Abe and Aaron talk about building a new barn no one noticed the Mason Jar of Cranberry Juice slide off the edge of the long table, right next to Bart. Everyone turned and looked at Bart. Who stood up and raised his hands in the air and said loudly. "It wasn't me, honest!!!" Becka walked over and looked at the floor at his feet and said. "Yea right young man and the sky is green, I suppose? Now you go get us another jar in the cellar and be quick about it, now go on." Bart ran to the cellar door and hurried down the ladder. He was back within a minute holding another jar, tightly. He handed it to Becka. "Here Mum." He said, then he sat back down and finished his breakfast.

The idea of a new barn distressed the boys. They had helped their father build a new barn back in Lafayette just the year before. Along with weeks of blistered hands and aching backs, they weren't happy about this prospect. Yet they were the ones doing the most complaining about the loft. But with all their animals they brought with them added to the already crowded barns and out-buildings here at Eden Central, a new barn is sorely needed.

Abe and Aaron set out making drawings. Aaron is an artist and Abe knows how a barn should be built. This barn's loft will house all the computer equipment in a new loft designed just for that purpose. There will be no stalls under it. Half of the new barn will be just for that. The other half will house the overflow of animals, so it has to be twice the size of the old barn.

For the next few nights after supper Aaron and Abe discussed the plans for the new barn and they worked together coming up with the blueprint for it

post-897-1098888643.jpg

Then Aaron did a drawing of what it would look like.

post-897-1098888595.jpg

Aaron and Abe hitched one of the horses to the buggy so they could go into town. Taffita had taken Smog with her when Nathan and her had departed for New England so Abe led a brown mare out of the field. As Abe and Cain hitched her up, the mare sniffed around Aaron's pockets.

"What are you looking for?" Aaron asked her, rubbing her neck. "I guess Smog didn't keep his mouth shut did he? Ok, ok. Here you go." Aaron unwrapped a Hershey bar he had in his pocket as a snack for the trip. The mare gobbled it down, her mouth smacking as she chewed. Then she licked Aaron on the face knocking his hat off. He bent down to pick it up.

"What's you name girl?" Aaron asked, rubbing her nose now.

"Maggie." Abe answered.

"Alright we're all set." Abe said. They led the buggy out and started down the path towards the road. At the front of the house they stopped it. Lida and Becka came out of the house. Becka handed Abe a basket.

"Some lunch for you two, for later." She said. Lida handed Aaron a piece of paper.

"I've written down a few things that we need. If you see any of them in town." She said. Aaron folded the paper and put it in his shirt pocket.

"Make sure the boys get that barn cleaned out. I don't want them loafing around all day while Aaron and I are gone." Abe told his wife.

"Not to worry. If they get done with that I have a whole lot of things they can do after that." Becka answered. Cain made a face at his brothers as they watched him climb into the buggy with Aaron and his father.

As Aaron, Abe, and Cain rode down the lane towards the highway Aaron turned around and looked back at the farmhouse. Lida was standing on the porch. She waved to him and blew him a kiss. She then went back inside. Aaron smiled like an idiot the whole trip into Angola.

Edited by fenriz275

Later that morning. As Bart and Cain were out in the field plowing, they heard a loud sound and looked to the West and saw this:

post-897-1099273354_thumb.jpg

They came running into the house out of breath. "Mother, Mother a tornado!" Cain said out of breath. Lida, Becka and the girls ran outside to see, but it was gone.

As Aaron, Abe and Able trotted along the road to Angola, behind them they heard a roaring sound, like a train. Aaron turned around first to look.

"Holy Crap,. Look at that." He said. Abe and Able turned around to look.

Aaron gave the reigns a quick snap, trying to hurry the horse. Where he could go to get out of the twister's path, he had no idea. The tornado was coming directly at them on the road behind them.

"We have to find cover!" Abe yelled.

"I know that!" Aaron yelled as the roaring got louder. Up ahead was an overpass to the highway. Aaron yelled at the horse and snapped the reigns almost continuously.

The horse was running as fast as it could, it's hooves pounding on the pavement. The twister was gaining on the wagon. All three men held onto their hats as the wind tried to pry them off their heads. They need the protection of the underpass or they'd all be sucked up into the huge funnel that was chasing them. They were almost at the underpass when the wind died down and the twister veered off to the North. Aaron pulled on the reigns to stop the horse from it's frantic run.

"Whew! That was a close one." Abe said.

"We don't want to get in the way of one of those things. I had a Aunt who's house was ripped right off it's foundation once and sucked right up into it, with my cousin Dorothy still inside. She couldn't get to the root cellar fast enough."

"Yep, there were cows and horses and stuff flying all around that time"

The three men continued down the highway towards Angola, the nearest town, to the "Big C" lumber yard. As they expected there were trucks parked there in the lot. Aaron knew how to drive a fork lift and began to load the lumber on the first of the two trucks they would drive back to the farm. Abe and able went inside the building and began helping themselves to nails, hammers, fasteners and anything else they thought they would need. After a few hours both trucks and the wagon were now loaded down and they began the drive home.

The trip back was uneventful. Nothing compared to the trip there. They pulled into the dirt road leading to the farm and parked all three vehicles in front of the barn. Everyone was in the loft, on the site. When they heard the engines and the toots of the horns they all came running outside to welcome them home.

"Ya hungry?" Becka asked Abe. "Starved." He answered. "What ya got cookin? I can smell it all the way out here." He asked. Aaron and Able were already at the kitchen door. " Beef and kidney pie." Lida answered. "With lots of gravy and biscuits."

Edited by fenriz275

During dinner Lida told Aaron about Cain and Bart seeing a twister off in the distance. "But when I went outside to look it had dissappeared." She told him. Aaron, Abe and Able all looked at each other and nearly choked on their food. "Nearly got us on the road." Abe said as he tried to swallow. "Scared the B'Jesus out of us out there." Able added. Becka slapped Able on the shoulder and said. "Not be usin the Lord's name in that manner boy." Able apologized.

After everyone had eaten their fill, the table cleared and dishes washed, the ladies joined all the men in the loft for an evening on the site.

"Oh Look, I got a PM from ILS." Aaron yelled. "Apparently the yacht he appropriated has a computer and a generator on-board. He says he has reached the St. Lawrence Seaway and wants to know what port we are going to meet him at." Lida immediately said "Michiana, tell him Michiana. Let me PM him back." Lida PMed ILikeSeven. "Forward his PM to me, I want to read it." She asked Aaron, he did. Lida then Pmed ILikeSeven aboard his ship. "Hope your trip went well, we are all waiting to see you and your family and the sheep. We don't have any sheep here. You must travel the Seaway to Lake Michigan, then down the East coast to Michiana. Can you give us a timeframe. I mean how fast are you travelling so we can be there to meet you. We have trucks to carry the sheep and wagons to carry all of you. Waiting patiently to hear from you. Jeanway and Fenriz.

Edited by fenriz275