Sign in to follow this  
Frosty

Anyone care to discuss 'Regeneration'?

That Enterprise is ruining certain ascpects of the TNG timeline.

Click for Spoiler:

We all know, had it not been for Q, the TNG crew probably wouldn't have encountered the Borg. Nor would Picard have been assimilated. Nor the movie First Contact.

For Archer to say at the end of the Regenration episode "We just postponed their invasion for 200 years" is ludicrous. Not to mention all the discoveries Dr. Pholx made.. Come on.. All that info would have been available to the TNG crew in the future. Whoever wrote that script (Berman / Bragga I guess) simply took TNG, rolled it back 200 some odd years and tried to make it work.

I liked the episode, but it borders on the line, if not crosses over, of breaking the timeline.

I know, it's just a TV show, but still. :wow:

Anyone else have any thoughts about this?

Not to mention the upcoming 'Expanse' episode.

Why do I get the feeling it has something to do with the Borg.

Please correct me if I am wrong..

I totally disagree. Never once did the borg actually introduce themselves, starfleet and the Enterprise do not even know what they're called. So how can the TNG make a reference from some nameless alien to the borg, which they just assume is the first time seeing them. We don't know how well the records were kept pre-Federation, there is probably just a mention in a log and a small file somewhere, there is nothing that makes me think the Borg are common knowledge in 200 years.

Also, before Q showed Picard the Borg, they were already near the neutral zone destroying both Federation and Romulan Colonies. When Q sent the Enterprise-D, it's not like they were sent to the Delta Quadrant, yes it was far, but 70 years compared to 7 years is a huge distance, so they were already near the Alpha Quadrant or in the Beta Quadrant. And even though Berman/Piller were not thinking of this at the time, it was clear that the Borg were already on their way if not in the Alpha Quadrant in Q-Who... we just didn't know why until now.

Lastly, if anything screwed up the time-line it's First Contact, not Regeneration

Lastly, if anything screwed up the time-line it's First Contact, not Regeneration

Exactly, the timeline was changed by First Contact where the borg cube was sent back in time, not in Regeneration.

Also when the scientists were doing the tests at the beginning they discovered the 2 drones were from different species and they didn't know what those species were. Where do you file that?

As for Phlox, we don't know if the radiation treatment he used would work on other species. It destroyed the probes but whether a human could survive it we don't know. Phlox wasn't sure if he would survive. As well it was pointed out that this is the first time we had seen the assimilation at that stage. Once the nanoprobes were more established the radiation treatment would not have worked.

Also when the scientists were doing the tests at the beginning they discovered the 2 drones were from different species and they didn't know what those species were.  Where do you file that?

As for Phlox, we don't know if the radiation treatment he used would work on other species.  It destroyed the probes but whether a human could survive it we don't know.  Phlox wasn't sure if he would survive.  As well it was pointed out that this is the first time we had seen the assimilation at that stage.  Once the nanoprobes were more established the radiation treatment would not have worked.

Exactly, and as I stated before we don't know if Phlox's treatment was completely successful, the radiation might have only post-poned the assimilation process.

Personally, I believe Starfleet filed this all, but Picard and crew didn't know durring "Q Who?" becuase it was classified. I suspect the findings from "Regeneration" helped them to be ready for the invasion in "The Best of Both Worlds". That's my take on the continuity issue.

anythings possible, but i doubt the federation kept something like that a secret after the borg were now know. it would serve no purpose to keep everyone in the dark, instead of haveing everyone pitch in to try and figure something out to use against the borg. after all in best of both worlds didnt they almost lose to the borg.

we discussed this earlier but i am still troubled by the fact that soo much borg technology was left on earth in the past

1. the two drones in the freezer (and others possibly inthe ground)

2. the nanoprobes in phlox's bloodstream

3. the ablative hull armor debree

4. the transwarp coil that the scientists found

the most sound conclusion is that there was indeed a coverup to hide from the masses that "super" aliens bent on conquest had landed on earth earlier from what was previously thought (sounds a little like today or at least ID4)

we discussed this earlier but i am still troubled by the fact that soo much borg technology was left on earth in the past

1.  the two drones in the freezer (and others possibly inthe ground)

2.  the nanoprobes in phlox's bloodstream

3.  the ablative hull armor debree

4.  the transwarp coil that the scientists found

the most sound conclusion is that there was indeed a coverup to hide from the masses that "super" aliens bent on conquest had landed on earth earlier from what was previously thought (sounds a little like today or at least ID4)

The drones in the freezer might have been thawed out too and taken with the others.

Phlox said that all of the nanoprobes would have to be destroyed or they would start over. I'm assuming that process would be very quickly. I think the side effects he is going to suffer is from the radiation treatment and not the nanoprobes.

But we don't know how much of the Borg technology was left. They must have used some of it to modify the transport they stole.

I agree with Crims. I don't think this episode did anything to damage the timeline, it only expanded it.

Thanks for the replies everyone...

Helped me remember some things, and put other things into perspective.

I had completely forgotten about the last episode of the 1st TNG season that ~Crims~ mentioned.. Very good point!!! Even going back and watching that episode it's clear this episode is the starting point of the borg espisodes in which leading up to "Q Who?".

Plus, it is very possible that the info was forgotten or hidden from the TNG crew to allow Best of Both Worlds to pan out correctly and for them to complete their mission up to the end of First Contact.