Sign in to follow this  
fenriz275

Squash

What are some of your favorite vegetables? How do you like them cooked, or do you like them raw? I've been trying to eat more vegetables lately myself. Apparently ketchup doesn't count. Who knew? I'm going to get some squash next trip to the grocery. I've never cooked it before but I'm gonna try. :sweatdrop::naughty:

Broccoli is probably one of my favorites

Click For Spoiler
broccoli.jpg

And peas. I love peas.

Click For Spoiler
peas.jpg

Carrots are also good. Made with just a little brown sugar and cooked just long enough so they're still crisp.

Click For Spoiler
carrots.jpg
Edited by fenriz275

I'm going to get some squash next trip to the grocery. I've never cooked it before but I'm gonna try.

Boiled, fried or grilled yellow squash is really good.

As for what vegetables I like... it probably would be a shorter list if I listed ones I do NOT like.

Top of my list includes(that I like): Broccoli, Squash, Asparagus, Artichoke, Green beans, corn, onions, mushrooms, spinach(either as a salad or cooked), lettuce, cucumbers(especially cucumber salad), zucchini (stuffed zucchini is really good), carrots(raw or cooked)........

Like I said my list could go on for a while. This is true for fruits as well.

Edited by Yillara_Soong

Squash, lots of different kinds.

SPE-12.jpg

264335[/snapback]

^

^

^

Thanks for posting this picture for me.

The large green squash in the center is Acorn Squash, I'm cooking some right now. I mash it with brown sugar and butter. Also the two white squashs on the right {topside and underside of same squash} I believe is Patty-Pan. That's good too. I've had the small yellow ones too, but I can't remember what they're called.

Edited by Jeanway

I recently became a vegetarian and I love veggies. (My little sister calls me a veggie). I generally like them raw, but cooked is good too, provided they are cooked well. A few days ago, I noticed to my amusement that I was almost the only one at my school who got the peas and carrots side. It was delicious. Almost, my Dad makes this broccoli with Velveeta (spelling?) cheese melting on top... my sister and I were likely the only little kids who would ever eat broccoli. I still like it like that now, in high school. So yes, veggies live short and not so prosperous with me.

Valeris, there are Vegitarians and there are Vegans. I believe Vegans eat some animal protein like eggs and fish. I eat mostly fruits and veggies and very little red meat. Maybe once a month. Otherwise I eat chicken, fish and tofu for protein. Do you eat red beans and rice?

Almost, my Dad makes this broccoli with Velveeta (spelling?) cheese melting on top... my sister and I were likely the only little kids who would ever eat broccoli. I still like it like that now, in high school. So yes, veggies live short and not so prosperous with me.

264379[/snapback]

Broccoli with velveeta is really good, as well as broccoli with cheddar...ok, broccoli in general LOL. (really good raw too, with ranch dressing)

All of the vegetables that I like (as I listed before there are a bunch), I have liked since I was very young.

My favorites when I was really little were broccoli, green beans, corn; then around five or six I added artichoke, spinach and the rest to the list.

Beans are one part of the vegetable group that I will eat, but do not favor very much. Especially red, lima or butter beans...I will eat them(especially if they are already in a chili or a soup.) but are not amongst my favorites. Peppers I often avoid, depending on the level of spiciness

Vegetables I do not like pretty much at all: celery, brussel sprouts, portabello or the mushroom that contains a swear word in it so it will be censored by the site(unless they are cooked well...white mushrooms however are one of my top veggies on the list)

Edited by Yillara_Soong

Hmmmm :hmmm: A mushroom with an obscene name. Now what could THAT be??? :naughty::sly::nono2::sly: :o . I love Ports. :)

Fried zucchini.... :sly:

Squash is good too... :sly:

Carrots :nono2:

I also like potatoes.... :o

I like broccoli with velveta....

I like salads :naughty:

Corn... :)

Artichoke... :)

I'm sorry.... I :hmmm: too much....

You know guys, you can make a cheese sauce, it's really easy. It's really very easy. Just add cheese to a basic white sauce. I know Velveeta tastes good but it is very high in salt. Basic White Sauce & Cheese Sauce.

----WHITE SAUCE----

1 tablespoon butter

1 tablespoon arrowroot powder

1 cup evaporated milk

1/8 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon white pepper

----CHEESE SAUCE----

1/4 cup cheese shredded

Heat butter in a small skillet, then add in the arrowroot. Gradually add milk, cook stirring until sauce thickens. Stir in salt & pepper. VARIATIONS: THICKER SAUCE...Add more butter and more arrowroot for each cup of milk. CHEESE SAUCE: Add 1/4 cup shredded cheese, or more if you want, to hot sauce; cook, stirring, until melted.

Edited by Jeanway

I Love Artichokes. I make a Bernaise Sauce for dipping each leaf in:

Bernaise Sauce

1 combine in the top of a double boiler or just a small saucepan:

1/4 cup white wine

2 tablespoon tarragon vinegar

1 tablespoon finely chopped shallots or onion

2 sprigs fresh tarragon, chopped or about a half a teaspoon dried

1 sprig parsley; minced

3 egg yolks

3/4 cup melted butter

COOK OVER DIRECT HEAT UNTIL REDUCED BY HALF. IF YOU HAVE USED DRIED TARRAGON OR COARSELY CHOPPED ONION, STRAIN THE MIXTURE. ALLOW TO COOL. THEN BEATING BRISKLY WITH A WIRE WHIP, OVER NOT IN HOT WATER, ADD ALTERNATELY LAST TWO INGREDIENTS A LITTLE AT A TIME AND BEAT STEADILY SO THEY ARE WELL COMBINED. WHEN YOU HAVE ADDED ALL THE BUTTER, THE SAUCE SHOULD HAVE THE CONSISTENCY OF A HOLLANDAISE. THIS MAKES 1 1/2 CUPS.

I recently became a vegetarian and I love veggies. (My little sister calls me a veggie). I generally like them raw, but cooked is good too, provided they are cooked well. A few days ago, I noticed to my amusement that I was almost the only one at my school who got the peas and carrots side. It was delicious. Almost, my Dad makes this broccoli with Velveeta (spelling?) cheese melting on top... my sister and I were likely the only little kids who would ever eat broccoli. I still like it like that now, in high school. So yes, veggies live short and not so prosperous with me.

264379[/snapback]

I'm a vegetarian too! Good for you! :naughty:

I like squash. I am a fan of most veggies usually I prefer them steamed, unless it's okra then I like it fried. :naughty: good stuff :nono2:

Hmmmm :naughty: A mushroom with an obscene name. Now what could THAT be??? :sly:  :o  :nono2:  :hmmm:  :sly: . I love Ports. :)

264732[/snapback]

LOL, I had originally wrote the mushrooms name out, but then hit preview and realized that even within that name, the other word was censored out. Which is why I changed my posting accordingly. I was going to write it as s***ake, but I still think that looks a little silly.

I like broccoli both raw and cooked. I like cabbage. I also like asparagus.......Most of my veggies, I like them steamed.

Hmmmm :rolleyes: A mushroom with an obscene name. Now what could THAT be??? :)  :unsure:  :)  :)  :) . I love Ports. :)

264732[/snapback]

LOL, I had originally wrote the mushrooms name out, but then hit preview and realized that even within that name, the other word was censored out. Which is why I changed my posting accordingly. I was going to write it as s***ake, but I still think that looks a little silly.

265082[/snapback]

Gotcha! <_< :)

Children seem more inclined to eat broccoli when you call it "trees" :rolleyes:

There is good news that children are eating more vegetables, the sad news is that those vegetables are in the form of french fries. <_<

Corn is not a vegetable - it is a grain. I missed that on a test ever so many years ago so :unsure: and feel destined to always remember that particular fact.

Favorites....

Summer squash cooked with onions and butter, steamed asparagus. And I love brussels sprouts and broccoli. Cauliflower needs cheese. Fried squash is yummy, so is fried green tomatoes and eggplant.

And there's always your basic garden salad.

I eat green beans out of respect for my mom who has always seemed to think I should eat them.

Ratatouille (also called mediterranean vegetable stew) is my idea of heaven on Earth. Squash, onions, tomatoes, eggplant some spices oh yum, yum, yum.

I also like carrot souffle (sort of like that sweet potato souffle you have at Thanksgiving) and that broccoli cheese casserole (I'm not too fond of that green bean casserole)

And fried sweet potatoes make for good tempura.

Oh, gosh am I hungry now.

That is another good vegetable...sweet potatoes. Regular white or red potatoes are good too.

I will eat fries, but not very often. Best variation is when they are potato wedges that are fried(skin included). Potatoes are really good baked, boiled, grilled, sauteed with garlic, butter and onions. Or used to make potato pancakes or lefse (which is a Scandinavian food)

Sweet potatoes, the souffle or casserole variation is good...but IMO baked is so much tastier(with butter and either cinnamon or brown sugar, stuff it with bits of Thanksgiving turkey and it is even more delicious)

There are also baked sweet potato chips that are pretty good (it is done by the same company that produces many variations of baked apple chips, which are wonderful)

OH MAN! let's not into that "Tomato is a fruit/berry debate" :) :rolleyes:

I usually bake sweet potatos. I eat them for breakfast. They are sooooo delicious I can't stand it. :) <_< With brown sugar and butter. :) AND if your having problems with um, well, how do I say this delicately, :) GOING. :unsure: Eat a sweet potato for breakfast for 3 days in a row and you'll never use a um, a laxative again, I swear. You'll be like a happy puppy. :) :)