Sign in to follow this  
headborg

~~~The Days After~~~~

Oct 1st 2004

(06:00)

Late the previous evening we had said 'Good-Night' to the astronauts and went in search of nearby accomodations. We had found a 4 bedroom, executive-style ranch nearby. It had a garage, a pool, a deck with a telescope...probably belonged to one of the NASA suits...lots of NASA pictures on the walls.

I sat at the breakfast table eating my Cocoa Pebbles swimming in powdered milk, staring at the sat phone which the astronauts had kindly informed us where to procure..still no call from that Nik guy. I had called him but was there had been no answer... Images if the worst scenarios crossed my mind...maybe he had crashed...maybe he was laying somewhere unconscious. WAB sat at the table, as well, playing with his new toy...a sat phone of his own.

"These things are GREAT, HB! Do you know you can be out in the middle of the desert, or on the ocean, and they STILL work!

I look up from my Pebbles, and say, "You know what I like best about 'em...the fat government accounts...no shutoff." I produce my recently rendered inoperable Sprint cell phone from my pocket (which the Sprint Company computer system had seen fit to disconnect when the U.S. Mail had haulted when everyone dispeared, no doubt with my payment somewhere in route) and tossed it across the room, just missing DL as she hurried through the kitchen. Setting her stack of Barry Manilow CDs on the counter, she rapidly grabbed a glass & filled it with Tang.

HB:"Where's the fire?"

She shot me annoyed look, and replied, "Don't you guys know it's a Nasa tradition...the "wake-up call". Every morning mission control plays some music for the astronauts?"

"Oh....OK", I said as my spoon plopped back into the bowl.

She curiously eyed the cereal and remarked "I thought you were a Frosted Flakes kind of guy."

" I have discovered that after all the chocolate comes off the Cocoa Pebbles, it can make ANYTHING taste good!"

"Yeah...well, My astronauts are waiting...see ya later, guys."

As I hear the engine start on the "borrowed' Chevy truck in the drive, I asked," Zack, did you get all the toys unloaded?"

"Yeah, HB, they're all in the garage."

"Zack, I've got a mission for you."

"Oh, no...I'm not gonna go hunting for any more nerve gas!"

Edited by headborg

Lida and Aaron had now taken off for the second time. Heading North towards Fort Wayne. Aaron busied himself with a crossword puzzle and tried to keep his mind busy during the flight. " What's a six letter word for 'not too bright'?" He asked her. Lida thought for a second and replied "STUPID?" HE GAVE HER SUCH A LOOK! :laugh: The girls slept in the back the whole time.

Coming in slowly for a landing they could see that the Fort Wayne International Air Port was much larger than Wheeling's. The parking lot that surrounded the terminal was packed. "Hey, something just occurred to me." Lida said. "Why don't we just land right at the zoo? Funny I hadn't thought of that before this." She said."That'll save us alot of time." She added. "Go for it." Aaron said. They looked on the city map and located the zoo. "We need to fly West from here." She said as she turned the yolk and pulled back on it." After only a minute or so they spotted the zoo. Right next to it was a large field which Lida thought perfect for a landing. The landing was a bit bumpy once they touched down on the grass. It wasn't as smooth as it appeared to be but still a fine landing. She steered the plane up to what appeared to be a large rear entrance and turned the engine off.

Aaron was the first out of the plane, like a shot, then he headed for a nearby bush. "Be right back." He yelled as he exited the plane. "O.K., I'm going in." She answered.

Edited by Jeanway

post-897-1097958419.gif

Lida exited the plane and closed the door. She had parked it under a tree so it was in the shade and should remain cool for the lizards still asleep in the back. She walked to the rear entrance. A rosevine covered archway and stood just inside it waiting for Aaron. She could hear that the zoo's sound system was still running and a song was playing over and over again, which was exceptionally appropriate. She remembered this song even though she had only heard it a few times it went like this:

Someone told me

It's all happening at the zoo.

I do believe it,

I do believe it's true.

It's a light and tumble journey

From the East Side to the park;

Just a fine and fancy ramble

To the zoo.

But you can take the crosstown bus

If it's raining or it's cold,

And the animals will love it

If you do.

Somethin' tells me

It's all happening at the zoo.

The monkeys stand for honesty,

Giraffes are insincere,

And the elephants are kindly but

They're dumb.

Orangutans are skeptical

Of changes in their cages,

And the zookeeper is very fond of rum.

Zebras are reactionaries,

Antelopes are missionaries,

Pigeons plot in secrecy,

And hamsters turn on frequently.

What a gas! You gotta come and see

At the zoo.

Edited by Jeanway

Since this was their forth zoo release the routine had been established. The primary walk through feeding and releasing the smaller, less threatening animals. Then making mental notes as to which would be their final releases, the most dangerous animals would be last. At which time it would be a race to out run the last ones and opening gates and cages before they caught up to them. Sadly there were many weak and dying there already. Their efforts may have caught some of them just in time but some were at death's door. :laugh: The giraffs were among those as were the elephants whose pond had dried up and they lay in their compound dried up and breathless in the sun. Their bodies swarming with flies. :laugh: This was a sad,sad sight for Lida and Aaron. All their efforts came just a little too late. The Polar bears and the Grizzly seemed to fare better though. The goats were huddle together in the corner of their pen. Some were dead, some dying, but a few were still interested in food, this was a good sign for them. All this death around them discouraged Lida and Aaron. Knowing how many zoos they would never be able to get to but they had made a commitment to do two more zoos in Northern Indiana.

They were on their final walk-through and were releasing a fiery looking wild-boar. When it looked at them and charged. This was the last animal to be freed so they opened the gate then ran like hell towards the rear entrance and to the plane, wild boar hot on their heels. The need to yell "RUN" wasn't there, they knew that if this boar caught up with either of them they could lose a leg, or worse.

Lida reached the plane first, opened the door and was climbing in when Aaron flew at her and pushed her and himself in on top of her. "Get off me!" Lida yelled, nearly upside down in the c o c k -pit of the tiny plane. Aaron tried his best to right himself yet stay inside the plane. As they scrambled around trying to get into their seat the boar ran right under the plane and out the otherside into the field. Totally forgetting what he was chasing. "Whew! Now that was close." Lida said. As they watch the boar run into the woods.

"Well, now what?" Aaron asked as they sat there trying to catch their breath. "Well, I think we are going to have to find a fueling station somewhere. Hand me the map. I hate to fly all the way back to Fort Wayne since we aren't too far from the next zoo, which is in South Bend." She said. He handed her the map and she looked for perhaps a small municipal airport on the route. "Ah, there's one, only about 10 miles from here, let's get going." She said as she began her pre-flight. Aaron knew what to do now so it took alot less time than before.

Edited by Jeanway

They flew into the tiny airport at Columbia City and refueled then took off again. next stop, South Bend.

Circling the zoo just North of South Bend they landed on the street. Lida spotted an empty stretch, touched down and rolled right up to the front entrance. The lizards were awake now and hungry. Trying to crawl all over Lida and Aaron to tell them so. "O.K. Sweetie. You can come with us this time." She said to Kes as she held her up in front of her. Lida had little hope now of finding very many live animals after the last zoo. :laugh: and thought carrying Kes and BT wouldn't interfere with what they had to do. Once inside the entrance pavillion there were numerous small ponds with fish in them. Lida checked the depth with her arm and found them to be fairly shallow plus with all the plants sunk down under the surface the lizards had plenty of things to grab hold of. Lida put Kes and Baby Tongue in the pond. Surprisingly enough they spotted the fish and went after them. "Boy, they sure ARE hungry, aren't they?" She said to Aaron as they dashed around under the surface churning up the water by whipping their tails. The side of the ponds were high and slippery so they decided to leave them in there while they did the release. They had to come back out this way anyway.

This was a very active and noisy zoo. Not at all what they had expected. Perhaps the animal keepers at the last zoo weren't doing their jobs very well and all those animals were in bad shape before this happened.post-897-1097964421.jpg The animals here all seemed to be very active and alert. As if there had been no interuption in their care and feeding.post-897-1097964349.jpg When all of a sudden a familiar face appeared on the otherside of one of the pens. "Abe!!" Lida yelled. "Look Aaron it's Abe over there." She said to him. It seems that Lida and Aaron's quest to save the animals had hit Abe right in the heart and here he was doing the very same thing.post-897-1097964264.jpg "I knew I'd run into you two eventually if I stayed here long enough." He said as he walked towards them.post-897-1097964227.jpg "Are you here by yourself Abe?" Aaron asked him. "Naw, I got One of my boys with me and two of my girls. They've all been helpin me."post-897-1097964201.jpg "Where are they? Lida asked. "Oh, they're around here somewhere." He said.post-897-1097964168.jpg "Well, you know why we are here then, let's get to it." Lida said. "I'm right behind ya." Abe answered. They set out doing the release. Abe called to the three children and they joined them. This release went very quickly with so much help. And without any casualties. At the very end, they all ran into the pavillion and closed all the doors and waited for a while. This gave them a chance to talk.

Inside the pavillion they found the Snack Bar. They all were starving by now and rummaged through all the shelves and drawers and boxes the could find. Taking all the candy bars and snacks they opened up the refrigerator, which was still cold inside. They found boxes of unopened meat. Hot dogs and hamburger patties and bags of frozen french fries. "Sure wish there were a way to cook up all this." Abe said. "Well, Paw, there's alot of wood over there and I saw a woodpile somewhere around here too for that big fireplace over there." He pointed. "AHH, the fireplace, I hadn't noticed that. Aaron said. "Yea, I been here in the wintertime bafore and they have us all roastin marshmallows on sticks in the fire." Abe told them. "O.K., Cain and Abel, go get the wood and be careful out there we don't know if that warthog is still hangin around here, they can be nasty ya know, chew ya foot right off." Abe laughjed. The boys didn't.

After the fire was blazing in the huge fireplace Lida and the girls began to attempt to cook the hot dogs and hamburgers. The hot dogs cooked up fine on the ends of long sticks, but those hamburgers were another story. Even with the long handeled spatulas it was difficult since there was no grate to lay them on. "Just lay em on the hearth, close to the fire, they'll cook." Abe suggested. and sure enough, it took a while but they did.

After eveyone had eaten they all sat around on the floor in front of the fire. Everyone was exhausted. Baby Tongue and Kes had climbed a small tree. It's roots firmly imbedded in one of the small fish pools and gone to sleep. Lida could see them from across the atrium.

As they chatted Abe told Lida and Aaron somethings that surprised them both. It seems Abe and his children had already done the release at the final zoo in Gary. So to their surprise, Lida and Aaron's Mission was over now. He told them he also visited few small animal parks along the way and did release there also. So relieved now Aaron layed back on the warm stone floor and fell asleep. Followed by Lida, Abe and the children.

At dawn the sun woke all of them at the same time. The East facing windows allowed the sunlight to flood the entire room. They all got up and looked for something to eat. They washed in the small pools and used the facilities. "Where are you going now Lida?" Abe asked her. "Well, I really hadn't thought about that yet." She answered. 'I want to tell you about a place you and us and the rest of the STF.Net members could all live, very nicely too I might add. It's up state, East of here. A little community of Amish. I'm sure they are all gone now. But it is very beautiful there and lots of crops and animals are still there." He told her. "Do you have a map?" He asked her. "Yea, outside in the plane there is a map, let me go get it." Lida went to the plane and got the map. Brought it back and unfolded it on the floor. "Here." Abe said as he pointed to the town of Albion. "All this area around here, for miles and miles, nothing but great farmlands and great farms. You must go there." He said again and pointed.

After a while of good-byes and Abe assuring them that he and his whole family would also be going to Angola, Abe loaded up his children in the buggy and headed back to Lafayette. Lida and Aaron watched and waved as the buggy clip-clopped out of site. with tears in their eyes they got back in the plane and started their pre-flight, once again. Then they took off, heading East now, Towards Angola.

According to the map Angola wasn't very much futher now. They had been flying for about an hour. When they recognized the lake Abe had told them to watch for, Pleasant Lake. He told them his brother's farm was right next to it and he had visited there many times. He told them to go to that farm and stay there and he would get the family there as soon as he could.

post-897-1097967676.jpg

They flew over the farm and recognized it from Abe's description. "Many out buildings." He told them. "And painted red." There it was, below them. Lida flew around the house and barn and the fields then they decided to land on the long dirt road that led up to the house. "Well? What do you think?" Aaron asked her. "Couldn't ask for a nicer spot. Looks like Eden to me." She said. They got out of the plane and went into the house.

The old farmhouse was a bit shabby but I'm sure that owners loved the place. In the small bathroom I found a claw footed bath basin. When I filled the tub with hot water I could hear the pipes rattling against the walls as it force the water down the faucet and out into the tub. I undressed leaving my clothes on the floor and laid back into the old tub. The steam bellowed up into the room and I felt warm for the first time in days. I watched the mirrors as Daniel's image seemed to jump from one mirror to another. I summized that he was looking the place over.

Daniel seem to be watching me bathe with interest, I pretended not to notice. I dried off, dressed myself and we left the old farm as we found it. As we drove away I caught a look of longing in Daniel's eyes and without saying it I knew what that look meant. I felt a blush rise to my checks. Daniel chuckled, "Feeling sick, Pretty One?" I just shook my head 'No' and kept driving. We arrived at 'Voice of America' shortly thereafter. I broke a pad lock off the fence with a crowbar and pushed the gates open wide. I ignored the signs posted warning of high RF and a number of other danger signs. I drove the truck up to the towers as near as I could get and left the one trailer there and then went and retrieved the other one I had left in a parking area nearby. In the morning I would start to build that which Daniel invisioned. I was still clueless to the design but as I laid in the bunk I saw Daniel's reflection on the screen of the laptop. "We're gonna need a truck with a big wench, maybe a cherry picker too." I nodded in agreement and whispered softly, "I love you Daniel." It was then I felt the warmth of what I believe was Daniel encircle me. I reached over and turned off a small lamp and in that instant I can't be sure but ....I must of dreamed Daniel and I made love.

Edited by BlueCrystal

Lida, Aaron and the girls stood in the front hall and looked from side to side. :( :laugh: The kitchen was to the left, the parlor to the right. The stairs straight ahead on the left side of the hallway. Lida went to the kitchen and looked around. It was a very large kitchen. A huge trestle table with matching benches flanking it. She estimated that with the two chairs at either end it could seat up to 16 people, comfortabley A huge wood burning stove sat at the far end with a large window above the soapstone sink on one side. The sink had a pump. Large wooden corner cabinets in each corner of the room that went to the ceiling with glass doors. She could see all the dishes and glasses and cups through. There was a back door next to the stove. It led out to the side yard. She went out it and noticed there was alot of mint growing around the small porch, she could smell it.

Meanwhile Aaron went upstairs, to the second floor. He counted five bedrooms on the second floor. Then up another set of steps he found three more bedrooms on the top floor. These bedrooms were even larger than the ones on the second floor. He came back down to the kitchen where Lida had picked a mass of mint and was trying to lite the stove. "Here, let me help you." Aaron said. He took out the three logs she had put in and replaced them with handfuls of kindling then lit them. Slowly he added more until the fire was going well. Then he stacked a few very small logs on top of that. Once they were lit he put the three large logs back in on top waited a few minutes until the fire was established then he closed the door. "O.K. All set. You can cook now." He said jokingly. Lida just glared at him :(

Edited by Jeanway

They sat a the table and drank their mint tea. Lida had found a Mason jar of honey in one of the corner cabinets, it still had a piece of honeycomb in there with it.

"What do we do now?" Lida said. Aaron thought for a minute then said. "Any chance Abe's brother had a generator around here? I know they are forbidden by the Amish but Abe had one. Maybe his brother did too. They looked at each other and at the same instant a light went off in their heads. They both said "The Loft!" :( at the same time. Out the back door they bounced, down the steps and ran across the yard to the barn. Then up the ladder to the loft.

They stood there in amazement. They thought Abe's barn was stocked. This one looked like an explosion at the Sony Factory. "Wow" Aaron said as he looked around. He started the generator, one of three. The computers are all ready to go. Shall we?" He said as he bowed and waved his arm towards the nearest computer. "I know Abe knew about this. It's too much of a coincidence. I bet that's where his boys got the idea in the first place and why they are coming here too." Lida agreed and kept typing. "I'm logged in now. I'm going to invite everyone to come here in a thread. Now let's see, what shall I say. Lida typed quietly to herself as Aaron logged in as well. "Done." She said as she hit the 'Add Reply' button. "O.K., now where is it?" Aaron asked. "Just look, at the top." She answered. "Oh, I see it." He said then clicked on it then read it outloud..........................

Edited by Jeanway

Aaron began to read:

~ Come to Eden ~

"We have hundreds of empty, self-sustaining farms here just waiting for you. Everything you need is here. Food, water, pets, a new home, friends and companionship. We CAN all survive here. We don't even NEED electricity. We are in the upper NorthEast corner of Indiana. If you have a map just aim for the town of Angola. It is right in the center of our community. If you get to Angola and see no one around just ring the church bell, it can be heard for miles and we will come to you. Come as soon as you can. Your Friends, Jeanway and Fenriz."

I stared at the laptops computer screen reading Jeanway's advertisement about EDEN. It was early in the morning as most mornings I woke before dawn by habit. Daniel's faint reflection shown in the screen, "What are you doing?" he asked. "I'm reading about a place called 'EDEN', there are other survivors Daniel and they're building a settlement on the Amish farms in Indiana." Daniel seemed to look away as I saw his image in profile now, "I use to regret the choice I made you make. Leaving home and the only world and life you knew behind." I reached over touching the computer screen that held his image. "Daniel with you I gained more than I lost. I'd 'jump the fence' all over again for you."

It was not the time for regrets. I grew up being educated at my parents home along side of my siblings. My education was suppose to end for me at the 8th grade level. I can remember how angry my father was when he discovered I was going to college. I remembered being on 'rumspringa' and working in a diner where I first met Daniel. He was so very different from the boys I grew up with and the ones that would call for me. When Daniel came to my parents home looking for me that cold rainy night in February. My mother was so upset, she told me I could never be with Daniel and remain with them. They threw Daniel out and I ran out after him. After that, I was with Daniel in the 'English' world.

Edited by BlueCrystal

Oct 1st 2004

(still at breakfast table)

HB:"Weareborg, do you think you can fly that Blackhawk all the way to Florida?"

WAB: "Sure, when we leaving?"

HB: " Not we....just you...can you make it there on your own? land and do the refuelings? I need you to check on this Nik guy see if what the astronauts are saying is true..see if this Nik is down there at Kennedy Space Center and help him get the shuttle ready to launch."

WAB: "What are you and DL gonna do?"

HB: " well, Nasa always has a back-up plan..I'm gonna need DL's help to grab Doc out of Rod Sterlingville and work on a back up plan to rescue those astronauts...if Doc really is good at computer programming we'll need him. I think the odds of this guy Nik succeeding in piloting the shuttle is a long shot, but if he's willing to risk his life to save those two astronauts then we got to support him."

WAB: "you really don't think he can pull it off?"

HB:" He might not even be alive right now, we haven't heard from him....but my dad used to tell me that two things will make you a success in life, brains and balls, but this time we are talking about flying the Shuttle! We'll, just have to wait and see if this Nik guy has the "right stuff". I've done some calculating with the computer, the Blackhawk has got a 300 mile range. You should still have enough fuel to reach the air port here in Houston...fuel up...then fly to Baton Rouge, La>>just follow I-10 east till you see a city with a building that looks like a small 'Empire State Building" then fly north to the air port..that's 267 miles from here...re-fuel there..and fly to Pensacola Navy Air Station or Eglin Air Force Base that will still be on I-10 just follow the hi-way east (that's another 257 miles) refuel again..then stop at the air port in Tallahassee, FL and be sure to top off your fuel tank there(another 200 miles) then your last leg will be by compass to Cape Canaveral ITS 295 MILES! so when you reach Kennedy you will be on fumes. The flight time is around 7 hrs but with all the refueling it will take all day, take the sat phone and call if you have any trouble...call when you get to Kennedy Space Center and find Nik.........Good Luck.

The hours past in mere blurs as I have appropriated a truck with a cherry picker and wench on it from 'Voice of America's' maintenance department less than 2 miles away. I didn't mine the walk but sped back in a hurry to get to work. As I passed a huge microwave transmitter/receive site, I stopped hard looking at it. I then reached up and angled the rearview mirror so I could sit and see if Daniel was with me. I called out, "Daniel! Daniel, what about the satellite dishes?" The mirror stood void of Daniel. As I started down the road towards the towers, breathlessly Daniel appeared. "Give a man a minute to get to you. I'm not God, I can't be everywhere. I saw the dishes back there when we came and dropped the trailers off. We can't use them, the wave lengths would be all wrong." "Can't we modify them to work?" I questioned. Daniel shook his head, no, then answered, "it's not just the wave lengths it also the harmonics. We have to do this my way Pretty Girl."

I learned to cut the mirrored glass and piece the panels together like a seamless quilt. The glass had to be angled in a large circle set as a 45 degree angle within the three towers that formed a triangle. As the night fell I managed to finish installing the last of the floodlights about 30 feet about the ground using coax cable and the towers themselves as supports for the lights. I felt under pressure to finish Daniel's vision as quickly as I could. I had throughout the course of my work overcame my fear of heights. Daniel urged me to get some sleep but still the radio repeaters had to be built and oh so much to do. I collapsed on the bunk of the truck with my laptop laying open about to log on to Startrekfans.net. Daniel must of seen the screen waiting for my password and with what must of been his touch the computer shut itself off. His reflection whispered as his warming energy touched and rubbed my shoulders, "There will be another time to visit your friends Pretty One."

Edited by BlueCrystal

After Lida had posted the thread, she felt the need to move the Piper from the front of the house to somewhere in the back of the farm. She walked out to it, climbed in and started the engine. A pre-flight wasn't necessary now since she wasn't going up, only around to the back of the farm. The engine started and she pushed in on the throttle and turned the yolk. The prop turned as it usually did and she manuvereed the small plane across the adjoining field then past all the out buildings. Not realizing how close she came to the row of honey-bee hives that were out there. It was nearly dark and difficult to see but the turbulence caused by the propeller blew a few of them over and the bees were very aggitated. She pulled behind the last building and turned the engine off. Then walked back to the barn. "I'm going to sleep now Aaron" She yelled up to him over the loud generator racket. She waited for an answer but said to herself "Oh well, when he's tired he'll probably fall asleep at the keyboard." she went into the house and flopped down on the sofa in the parlor. Too tired to climb the stairs to a real bed.

I crawled out of my bed and stretched, yawning, I opened the small frig in the sleeper and took a sip of coke. I wasn't the best thing for me in the morning but it was something. I had been working so hard everything else was put lower on the list. The dogs ran wild now and often crawled under the trailers to sleep or play. I left a large pan of bottled water for them and feed them their dog food. It was windy out today and I sat for the moment watching the towers shift and sway in the wind. I was concerned about motion of the towers when Daniel appeared in the right wing mirror of the truck. Daniel smiled and said, "Pretty One, they're designed to sway." I looked startled at his reflection, "how did you know I was wondering that?" "I wondered that too when I first came to a tower to cut the grass, that was how I paid my dues to the club." Daniel admitted, he was poor but he could work and it was a trade. No one else would do the work around the tower that his clubs radio repeater was on so he did it.

I worked on building the repeater as Daniel instructed using each and every component that he requested. I was his hands and I angled mirrors so he could see everything I was doing. Occasionally he got ahead of himself and had to repeat his instructions several times. I felt tired and frustrated but continued to do his will. I was fearful when he told me I would have to run more coax cable up the towers at the 50 foot level and then I also need to climb the tower as we need to set a pulley system up and run the cable of the wench through it. That would be another 50 feet up it was his way of saying I was going up 100 ft. without trying to cause me fear or panic. In the utility truck I borrowed I found climbing gear so I knew I wasn't the first to scale one of the towers. "Daniel," I protested, "50 feet is high and I may not survive a fall from that now you are wanting me to go up a 100 feet and rig a pulley. Why?!?!" Daniel was insistent, "If you listen to me you won't fall and it has to be done and done my way. Please Pretty One, if I could I would do it myself." I wordlessly agreed.

Edited by BlueCrystal

As we pulled out of town, I asked Gwen,” Are you sure there isn’t anyone you want to check on?”

“Naw…I figure if there was anyone left who cared about me, they would have come to the jail long before you did. By the way, thanks for rescuing my hide!”

“Glad to be of service,” I smiled.

The rest of the trip to Columbia went pretty smoothly, except for one strange incident. I was surprised at how well the RV, with a car in tow, handled. Gwen was digging around, trying to find some CDs she had spotted earlier.

It was then I noticed some kind of large animal, running down the shoulder of the highway toward us. I did a double-take, and then another one.

“Uh, Gwen…could you come up here for a second?”

“What now?” she asked peevishly.

“Just come up here and take a look…Hurry!”

As I pointed, she glanced out the window…then her mouth dropped open.

“What in the world…Where did THAT come from?”

“I don’t know, but if you’re seeing it too, I feel a lot better!

I think there‘s one of those drive-thru animals parks around here somewhere…maybe he got loose from that.”

“Or maybe, someone turned him loose from a zoo!”

Hope painted our expressions as the antelope, I believe an eland, continued right on past us with out slowing down.

“I don’t know where he’s going, but he’s sure in a hurry to get there!”

“Yeah…hope he makes it OK…how much farther do we have to go?”

“Bout another hour or so,” I replied.

post-996-1098281187_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lt_Starbuck

After my first successful landing of a 747 at Kennedy, I spent the past few days getting Bill and Lenny caught up on what was going on. The shuttle trawler wasn't quite halfway to pad 39A, so I assigned Bill to drive the remaining distance. At two miles per hour, it would took him half of Saturday to finish. His constant yells of "Yeeeehawww!" as he

"trucked" along in the trawler seemed somewhat out of place. Lenny was assigned the jobs of learning the comsat and weather satellite readouts. Surprisingly, he was able to effectively utilize the Iridium network within a day, and his use of the NOAA satellite imaging system helped keep us aware of any seriously windy days or inclement weather. This would be important in about a month when he hit T:00. We needed at least a day of warning in the case of a hurricane so we could "hurry" the shuttle back to the VAB.

I found that Bill and Lenny worked better when they were separated. Bill was useful for some of the more "manual" labor jobs such as fuel system handling, gantry assembly, and driving to the store for supplies. Lenny did a fine job of systems monitoring and communications with the ISS. It was Lenny who made us aware of HB his intention to come to Kennedy to help. We certainly needed all we could get.

When the shuttle finally reached 39A, I took the elevator to the top of the gantry and decided to have a look inside the cabin. Bill was assigned the job of cabin maintenance, including making sure that the extremely long checklist for cabin preparation was complete before liftoff. I spent most of the weekend in the cabin with a flight manual and sat-phone getting accustomed to the onboard systems. Commander Foale up in the ISS was very helpful in guiding me through the sequence. I was fortunate that the launch sequence was nearly completely automated with a few known pilot inputs. As Foale put it one afternoon, "The first astronauts were monkeys, and the philosophy among spacecraft designers hasn't changed much since then." I was surprised at how much the Endeavor rocked and swayed in the breezes atop the launch pad.

After a long training session and nap aboard the shuttle, I exited yesterday afternoon to find Bill hanging from the gantry rubbing the side of the cargo bay door.

"What are you DOING?" I asked.

"Giving her a wax job!" Bill said beaming.

"Have you mastered the LC link and fuel systems handling yet?" I said, the blood pressure in my head rising.

Bill, looking slightly offended, pulled out a headset and handed it to me. Putting it on, I spoke.

"This is Nik." I said.

"Nik, Lenny. We now have positive systems monitoring at LC. The gantry is in place, and onboard power systems have been implemented. Commencing with control test sequence one-alpha. Please stand by."

I nodded approvingly to Bill as I handed him the headset and took the elevator to my Mustang waiting below.

post-897-1098314759.jpg

The 'Zarya Unity Complex'. Aka the 'International Space Station'.

post-897-1098314802.jpg

post-897-1098314953.jpg

Edited by Jeanway

The rigging of the pulley system was the most frightening thing I had done in my life. Far more frightening than moving into the *English* world with Daniel. After 16 years of marriage I learned a lot and loved my life with Daniel. I had finished running the coax and making the antenna to Daniel's design. He stood in the mirror looking grim. "It won't be strong enough Pretty Girl. We're going to have to use more power." "Daniel what more can we do I have built everything as you told to, I haven't complained much. How can we get more power?" I sipped my coke and stared at him in one of the mirrored panels. "Those micro-wave dishes." Daniel said then hesitated. "I know I told you that they were the wrong wave length but..." "But what Daniel?" I demand. "Their our last chance. H*ll Crystal maybe you should go and live at EDEN, Phi...I can't make promises to you that it will work and it most definitely won't be safe." Tears stunk my eyes and I look at Daniel's form. "You said Phil didn't you?" Daniel nodded,"Phil's been helping us Crystal, he's been beside me all along coaching me and you to build the transmitter. He teaches Physics and when he said we may have to go digital with this I put the brakes on." "So if Phil is with you why..why can't I see him?" I questioned remorsefully. "Because Pretty Girl, it's not your eyes that are seeing me, it's your soul. That's true love. I can't be kept from you or shielded, you know me in any form I could or would take." Daniel whispered.

I leaned against the mirror and felt as though I had been crashed. I felt hurt and upset. "You want to give up, don't you Daniel?" Daniel shook his head no and bit his lip. I could see fear in his eyes, for the first time I had ever known him I saw fear and maybe the glimmer of tears. He shut his eyes tight and then I saw his image waver. Daniel looked away then nodded his head and started to fade. I cried out. "Daniel!!! Daniel please don't leave me here. I've done everything you asked! Please!!!" Daniel's image appeared next to mine and his hand pressed against the glass where mine were. "I love you," he whispered. "I love you," I said through my tears then went on, "ask Phil, what we we need to do now?"

The antenna was a series of cables spun kind of like a web held by the three towers. It looked like a massive dream catcher with a huge hole directly in the middle. Above it the sky and below it the green carpeted land. I had to move or spin around three additional micro-wave dishes and luck would have it as they were about 300 yards out but still within the pattern of a triangle. I had to watch the elevation of the land as the signals would have to meet exactly at the 50 ft. and 1/2 inch mark above my webbed antenna. No easy trick and I had only one chance to get it right.

As I prepared the last micro-wave dish I listened to Daniel as he projected the aim. I found beneath the dishes in a covered protected area a key board that moved the massive dishes into the direction and settings needed. "That's just right Pretty One, we have it." Daniel said, as I moved the dish to the settings Phil requested. I smiled back at Daniel and tried to reassure him that whatever happens things will be okay. I watched Daniel's image in a wing mirror of the utility truck I was in use of, he seemed to be listening for a moment then he said, "Crystal, Phil wants you to go into the micro-wave control room and we need to change the program of our dishes." The programming room was housed in small one story building not far from the entrance of 'Voice of America's' radio fields. I located the computer and found our dishes as the computer there had not only tracked the move and positioning of the dishes but indicated that at the position we had them directed to, they would arc and produce a possible laser discharge. I positioned the mirror behind me to make sure Daniel and Phil could see what the computer was telling me.

I heard hesitation in Daniel's voice as he instructed me to isolate our three dishes, disable all the safeties, and to wait for him. I watched as the computer shown a simulation of what most likely could happen as it flashed the word ABORT. "Pretty One, Phil wants you to change the program on the dishes. You know computers run with 0 and 1 sequences. Phil wants you to change the 1's to 9's leave the 0's alone." I nodded and set to work changing the programing.

Edited by BlueCrystal

October 4th 2004,

Well, it was a long weekend. Weareborg needed time to think about whether or not he would fly to Florida or not, and later that morning we received communication from Lenny that he, William Shatner and that Nik guy was indeed there at Kennedy and ’on the job’ with a rescue plan. That information made a hasty flight by WAB less urgent. I continued to snoop around Mission Control in search of the controls for the uplink to the Nasa Channel, thus far have not been able to find them. Still no word from the ’site’ as to what to do with that information. Jeanway and Fenriz are inviting everyone to Indiana to begin a new ’civilization’ again. They reported finding a whole family of Startrekfans.net members, who were strangely ’Amish’ and well equipped with electronics. They managed to free a large number of animals from the surrounding Zoos and are calling it ’Eden’. My breakfast is getting worse with every passing day and the idea of settling down somewhere with a cow, chickens and pigs….sounds like a great plan for future pleasant ’breakfasts’ in the future. It is the most important meal of the day, after all.

I logged on to Startrekfans.net in my own subtle way I was saying my goodbyes. Some were concerned as they had not heard from me and PMed me. Some asked me if I had journeyed to EDEN. I answered them and their questions but didn't mention the antenna or Daniel. Shortly after reading a few posts and reviewing some of the forums I found myself in my journal.

BlueCrystal's Personal Log

I have worked hard and completed the reprogramming of the computer at 'Voice of America'. I changed the 1s to 9s. I would go into detail but I don't know exactly what the change will do. Daniel's friend Phil, had me do it. I am scared but to be with Daniel again I would give anything or do anything. I know it is possible that I may never be able to come back here again. That's hard for me but 16 years ago, I left my home, my family, and my friends all behind as they were Amish and wouldn't permit me to marry Daniel. It's hard to think that *love* would only be given to one group of people. I can remember my father saying that my leaving and marrying into the *English* world would cut me off from those I love, but love is a gift and a rare one and true love can never d*mn or hurt anyone unless it's denied. Perhaps in time my family will understand and accept my marriage.

I will see Daniel in the morning as he said that he and Phil had things they have do where they are. Peace be with you all...

Edited by BlueCrystal

We arrived around sunset, and I left the RV parked in the middle of the street.

Gwen followed slowly, as I rushed up to Adam’s room.

“ADAM???…ADAM???” I yelled and searched frantically. Gwen stood watching me, with pity in her eyes.

I slumped onto the bed…defeated and despairing. Gwen walked over and sat down beside me. “Well…there is always a chance that he’s still here…just not HERE…maybe he went looking for you, or something.”

She got up and started looking around the room. “Hey, look at this!” Over by Adam’s computer, she was motioning frenziedly.

I got up slowly and went to the computer desk. There on the screen was displayed the Star Trek Fans website.

“Was he a member?’

I don’t know…maybe…I am…he kept telling me about all the neat stuff he kept finding on this web site, so one day, I decided to take a look. I kind of got hooked, because I signed up.”

“OK…here’s a crazy thought…I’m a member, too! Do you suppose there are any other members left?”

I watched, as she logged on. She let out a deafening scream when she discovered the web site was still active. As she started chatting with someone, I kept repeating, “Ask about my son!” Finally, she stopped and turned to me…”What name would he use?”

“I … DON’T … KNOW!!!” My hope deflated like a hot air balloon.

“Alright…I’ll see if anyone else has any ideas…maybe someone who’s talked to him might recognize him from his profile,” she offered optimistically.

“Okay,” I sighed, “I’ll go get Killer Jones…he probably need to take a walk anyhow.”

Laying on my back in the command seat of Endeavor, I waited patiently as the countdown clock ticked silently on the center console display in large red digits. The silent humming of the ventilation system pulsed throughout the cabin. Occassional gasps as could be heard as the gaseous oxygen vent released pressure from the large liquid fuel tank attached to the shuttle’s back. Every few minutes, the faint buzzing of a fuel pump could be heard as the auxiliary power units forced pressurized hydrazine fuel into the shuttle’s thruster tanks. After several checks and onboard com checks and environmental checks, things were strangely silent. I checked the countdown clock.

“T minus one minute. Initiating SWS sequence.” Bill’s voice broke the silence. I could hear several valves clicking open throughout the shuttle as the sound water suppression system began engaging. The elaborate system would act at the “shock absorber” of the shuttle during launch as it rained water at 900,000 gallons per minute for the first few seconds after liftoff. The shuttle swayed slightly in the breeze.

“T minus twenty seconds… nineteen…. Eighteen…. Seventeen….sixteen…fifteen…. we copy main ignition start.” The shuttle bucked violently with the rumble of its massive engines beneath me.

“Ten… nine… eight… seven… six…. Five.” I heard several loud pops as the pyrotechnic bolts clamping the shuttle in place gave way.

“…. Go for launch… three… two…. One….. we have liftoff.”

Out the window, I saw the launch tower slip away, and a billow of smoke rose as the shuttle slowly groaned under its weight into the sky.

“Endeavor has cleared the tower.” Bill announced.

“Commencing modified control sequence.” Lenny interrupted. “Endeavor, we are picking up your telemetry… beginning roll maneuver.” I checked the gauges and readouts in front of me as the shuttle began rolling onto its back.

“Positive roll.” I heard over the speaker in my helmet. “Vee-dot nominal…. We are go for max-vee. Endeavor prepare for one-hundred-six percent throttle…. Go for throttle-up.”

Using what I memorized from the manual, I engaged the preset throttle procedure, pushing the shuttle even harder to the fringe of space.

“Endeavor, we do not have positive copy on SRB shutoff. Engage emergency SRB separation sequence.” This would be a really short trip if the solid rocket boosters couldn’t separate from the shuttle.

“Endeavor, we have negative telemetry pickup…. Please confirm SRB separation sequence.” I heard Lenny’s voice pick up in tempo. The roar of the engines began diminishing as the solid rocket boosters ran out of fuel and simply fizzled out.

“Negative vee-dot!” Lenny shouted. “Initiate abort sequence alpha and go-around for touchdown at Huntsville.” In general, if the launch could be aborted early enough, the shuttle could literally fly back and land at a number of strips.

“Negative, Kennedy!” I shouted, “There’s no way we can land if those SRBs are still attached.”

“Eject!” Lenny’s voice screamed into my helmet.

…. The one part of the launch manual I hadn’t memorized…… the one part I refused to use.

“Damn it! Damn it! Damn it all to hell!” I said as I removed my helmet and loosened my harness. “Lenny, what the hell happened?” I said agitatedly as I stepped out the seat and moved towards the exit door.

As I opened the exit door and stepped onto the crew access arm, I listened to Lenny over my wireless headset.

“We lost telemetry shortly after clearing the tower. Apparently the modified control sequence didn’t fully switch control to the LC. After that, we had no way of knowing when to initiate the main engines as we had no visual on the SRBs.”

I took the elevator down the gantry along the graceful shuttle as it sat on its pad, my sat-phone rang.

“Yeah….” I answered it agitatedly.

“I heard a lot of shouting, but not much else. What happened?” Foale asked.

“Well…. We’ll probably run that simulation again.” I said. “We’re a little rusty.”

“Just get her off the ground, and make sure you get the OMS burners licked, and we’ll do the rest.” Foal assured me.

Turning off the sat phone, I swore a blue streak as I walked to the Mustang parked beside the pad – making sure to mix hideous vulgar descriptions of female anatomy with colorful assessments of animalistic procreative rituals.

“We didn’t quite copy that last transmission, please retransmit.” I could almost hear the smile in Bill’s voice, and imagined him pushing the record button on his console.

“We’ll try again tomorrow.” I muttered.