Sign in to follow this  
headborg

~~~The Days After~~~~

post-897-1097527877.jpgThey walked the path investigating the corrals, pens and houses. Looking for doors and gates and freeing the animals one by one. Spreading their food around for them before letting them out.post-897-1097527830.jpg The animals in pools seemed fine, just hungry. But the larger furred animals were dehydrated as well as starving.post-897-1097527791.jpg They walked quickly surveying which would be left for last. The ones that could kill them if they couldn't run fast enough. post-897-1097527729.jpg But the fact that most of them hadn't eaten in well over a week either made them very weak or very aggressive. post-897-1097527695.jpg The buffalo were usually a very passive animal but in this instance they were like charging rhinos.post-897-1097527655.jpg :lol: :angry: :lol: :) :lol: :) :blink: :look:

The evening fell as I pulled into a rest area and used the facilities, usually I'd be scared to go in the dark but I knew there was no one around. Daniel offered to go with me but I knew he was tired too. I promised to be back soon. I stopped at the vending machines and bought a coke and some snacks for my dinner.

I found the truck quiet and called the dogs in as they roamed about the rest areas grounds doing their business. They settled in to the driver and passenger seat to sleep. I laid down on my belly with laptop in hand and took a quick glance in my compact mirror to see Daniel beside me fast asleep in the bunk.

I decided that I would log on to startrekfans.net and write alittle in my personal log.

BlueCrystal's Personal Log

It seems we travel from sun up to sun down in our quest to find large mirrors. Daniel hasn't actually said why he wants them but the world is big and very empty now with only a few thousand souls left on it. I have to admit I'm frightened, I know there are people here but I feel very much alone. I haven't mention to Daniel my finding anyone on here as, despite his love for me, he is like my mother when it comes to my love or interest in science fiction. To Daniel's honor I have to say that rather than discourage my reading science fiction he has encouraged me to write it. He wants me to be happy. I haven't told Daniel but I find the malls to be spooky. Earlier this afternoon I nearly drop a mirror when a stepped on a child's toy. It was a doll that said, 'Momma'. Maybe that's what's keeping me awake, not the toy or the child, just the feeling of loss and the unanswered question. 'WHY?!?!?'

Edited by BlueCrystal

A problem or dilemma of sorts has arisen. It seems the rest of the zoos are in the Northern part of the state. :) "Do we go back to Lafayette now or go Upstate Aaron?" Lida asked him. "I left a note for Bill and Lenny and told them we'd be back tomorrow. Now we won't get back there for at least 3 or 4 days." She said.

Aaron thought for a second then said. "Look. Why don't we log onto the site and make a Thread. Title it um, give me a minute." He said. "Give me a Minute? What kind of a thread title is THAT??" She asked. :hug: "No, I meant let me think of a good thread title to get someone's attention and maybe even Bill or Lenny might see it." He said. "You think so?" She asked. "We could have Abe go out to the hotel and leave another note for them." He said. "Oh, that's a great idea Einstien. We don't even know for sure what their user names are." She said. "Oh, yea, we were just guessing, weren't we?" He answered.

Edited by Jeanway

Click For Spoiler
Sorry about this one Sweetie I just couldn't resist :)
As Aaron began to try to come up with a clever title to catch someone's attention,

post-897-1097554041.jpg

suddenly he had one. "I got it." He yelled. "How about 'Bill and Lenny's Great Adventure'??? Yea that'll work, won't it?" He asked.

post-897-1097553994.jpg

Lida looked at him :hug: Then said "O.K." She logged on. "Here we go." She said as she typed in the New Topic hoping this would work. O.K., now Add Reply and DONE!" :)

Edited by Jeanway

September 30th, 2004

1845 hours (6:45 pm)

We dusted off, and turned toward the south east on a heading toward Houston, Weareborg climbed smoothy to a reasonable low altitude as DL6 watched his heading closely on the instruments...I rode in the rear with the gear....as the sun set behind us and the rotors cut through the ever darkening evening...I inquired if this was going to be a problem...Weareborg turned and I saw he was 'trying out' the night vision gear..."This is awesome...you got to try this...."

HB: "Just keep up above those trees....and don't hit anything..."

I reclined back agains the padded bulkhead of the Engine ...feeling the vibration of the massive power plant against my back...with the steady sound of the rotors chopping through the thick evening air...my mind drifted off and fixed on the old "Doors" tune....'The End' as I drifted off to sleep. It should only be a quick 1hr and 20 minutes or so to Houston.

Click For Spoiler
This is where the Apocalypse Now Theme should be...if I could get music to post!post-820-1097599033.jpg
Edited by headborg

Another mall another stash of mirrors. We were getting closer to home and I knew where I was at now. Daniel didn't have to direct me to the last four malls. The truck was nearly full when Daniel said another truckload after this should do it.

I was stunned and alittle upset. Those mirrors were heavy! "Another truckload of mirrors! Daniel, I'm not a pack animal." I protested and then regretted it upon looking into the reflection and seeing his eyes. "Pretty One, I know it's hard work and you're tired but you have to do it. If I could help you I would and on this end I am helping you but where you are you can't tell." I apologized and took a sip of my coke that I got from my last visit to a mall. "I guess, I'm lucky most husbands wouldn't want their wives anywhere near a mall." I said trying to focus our conversation on something else.

The state route that ran near our house wasn't far now and I was preparing to make my turn when Daniel stopped me. "Not that way Pretty Girl! We're not going home, head on and I'll direct you we have to drop our trailer off." It was another two hours but it seemed like longer when we arrived at 'Voice of America'. It was a vast park where high towers held antienas and transmitted via radio waves around the world.

post-606-1097614707_thumb.jpg

Edited by BlueCrystal

(19:30 hrs)

I woke up...all was still...WAB was setting quietly up front.

HB: "are we there?"

WAB turned and quietly spoke, ".....no, DL6 needed to ...go."

HB: "go?"

WAB: "Yeah...you know!"

HB:" ohh....go...go...sooo where is she ...going?"

WAB: "Behind the chopper"

At this point my eyes were almost open...I started to look around me and was about to ask,"where are we?" but then I saw the bleachers.

HB: "AHHH, WAB , are we where I think we are?"

WaB:" It was a clear landmark...very good target.."

HB:"....O....K..... come to thank of it, I need to go myself. How about you?

WAB:" No Sir, my father would kill me...."

I climbed out of the Blackhawk, right there on the 50 yard line...and unzipped my fly.

HB:" AHHHHHH.....So your Dad played for A&M?"

WAB:"yes, Sir"

I was finished about the time DL6 returned .....we climbed back in the chopper and we took off again...we landed around 8 p.m. out in front of the L.B.J. Space Center by the large Saturn V rocket.

Edited by headborg

Sept. 21

I guess the stress and confusion must have been wearing on me worse than I knew, because I slept for almost 14 hours straight. Killer Jones, his usual alarm clock self, roused me out bright and early. I took him out to attend to nature’s call, and then decided I better check on Gwen. She was up, and looking for something to eat. Her stomach was still not able to handle large quantities of food, so she was eating tiny meals every few hours.

“Hi…how are you feeling now?”

“Still hungry,” she said. “By the way…what’s the plan…I mean, you know… like, are you headed somewhere…how did you find me…are you looking for someone in particular?”

I told her my story, and she was actually quiet for a little while. (I began to suspect I had rescued a real chatterbox.)

“I still want to go to Columbia, to see if I can find my son…but maybe, we better spend a couple days getting you back on your feet.”

“Yeah…I do still feel kind of puny, you know…what else is there to eat…I could really go for some pizza…”

“Right…well, I guess I can go get some more supplies…anything else?

“Coke…I need lots and lots of Coke….I mean, how’s a girl supposed to survive, if you don’t have any Cokes around. And …well, something for entertainment…I found out the TV doesn’t work…and, like, wasn’t that stupid Emergency Broadcast System supposed to come on, when something like this happens…I think I’ll just go shopping with you…like, you’d probably not get half the stuff I need.”

“Whoa…slow down there, girl…shouldn’t you be resting up?”

“Hellllloooooo….I sat in that stupid jail for 5 whole days…I want to get out and hit the streets…do some shopping…shopping is the best cure I can think of…besides, it won’t cost a thing…I mean, like what could be any better? Let’s GO!”

Fort Wayne was their next zoo. So out of Indianapolis, heading North on Route 69 Lida now driving, they are on their way to zoo #3. Aaron was exhausted and fell asleep. Lida put the window down, took the ribbon from her hair and let it fall. One of her favorite songs was on the radio and she sang along "I will follow you,. Will you follow me. All the days and nights, it was meant to be Darlin" by Mike and the Mechanics, she thinks. Only this is the version done by 'The London Symphony Orchestra'. Much better, she thinks to herself. She passes up a handful of spinach ,she had stuffed in her pocket at the last zoo, to the Lizards on the dash. They grab it out of her fingers and gobble it down. The sun is setting behind her and she is feeling sleepy as well. "Got to find a place to sleep tonight." She says to the girls.

Edited by Jeanway

The Sunset at least an hour ago, now the moonrise was ahead of her. What's this? An Airport? " She said to herself. Aaron woke up. "What?" He asked. "Look at the Moon coming up over that airport Aaron. Isn't that beautiful?" She asked. 'Yea, beautiful." He answered and went back to sleep without even looking at it.

post-897-1097630098.jpg

The she thought to herself. "There MUST be a hotel around here somewhere so she got off the highway and headed towards the airport. "Ramada Inn, that'll do." She said as she pulled into the parking lot and up to the front door. She got out, went around the car and opened Aaron's door, which he was leaning up against, sound asleep. :) She caught him just before he hit the pavement. "Thanks Sweetie" He said. As he pulled himself up. "Where are we?" He asked. "Wheeling." She answered. "OH, bed, yes bed." He said. "Chasin and being chased by wild animals is exhausting, isn't it?" He asked jokingly. " Yea, I'd hate to have this as a career. Well, :) maybe not."She answered with a smile. :hug:

Edited by Jeanway

Lida grabbed Kes and BT off the dash and they all went into the hotel for the night. They grabbed keys numbered on the first floor right next to each other and went to their rooms. "Night Sweetie" Aaron said. "Sweet Dreams." Lida answered back as they both unlocked their doors and disappeared into their rooms. No electricity now in the hotels, they had both lit one of the candles when they got into the lobby.

BlueCrystal's Personal Log

I'm not even certain what day it is anymore. They come and go in blurs. I'm so tired, I sleep soundly throughout most of the nights but I often have nightmares. I find myself thinking back to a really old Twilight Zone program. It's about a man that discovers he's all alone in the world and his only desire is to go to a great library and read the books. He stumbles and breaks his glasses on some stairs and can't see well enough without them to read. I feel that way at times, I know Daniel is laying beside me but with my eyes I can't see him and only when I lift up my hand mirror can I see him beside me...

We left our trailer and I'm trying to get through Dayton and find another trailer. As we will still need more mirrors and oh coax cable. (D*mn I wish studied better and not just memorized the answers. Who'd of thought I would actually have to know this stuff.) It's hard to think straight...I must be tired. I still think this can't be happening! Daniel has be a blessing to me so calm and loving. He knows I'm scared but always he's with me. I'm going to sleep now...

I awoke to find myself in a dark airport terminal lying beside Bill. Bill was lying beside me and Lenny was standing over both of us holding a flashlight and looking at us.

"What the heck just happened?" I asked.

"In order to prevent you and Bill from killing each other, I immobilized both of you." Lenny answered as Bill began stirring.

"How?"

"A technique I learned many years ago while in the entertainment industry." Lenny answered.

I presumed that the darkness had resulted from a loss of power due to an unmaintained power grid. Looking onto the darkened runway as the sun was setting, I noticed that teh Challenger collapsed under the weight of the 747, tilting the 747 awkwardly to the side in the middle of the runway. With no power, no runway lights, no weather radar, and no outgoing NAV frequencies, it would be very difficult to remove the wreckage from the runway and commandeer another 747 - flying by visual - before the sun set.

I sat up quickly and shook off the headache that seemed to come from the neck pinch administered by Lenny. Looking out the second story terminal window, I saw a catering truck sitting on the tarmac. I ran down the steps to the lower level and out the terminal door to the truck. Bill and Lenny, curious as to my immediate plans followed. Opening the door to the truck, I found a set of clothing from whoever was driving it before disappearing. The key was also in it. Starting the truck, I put it in gear just as Bill and Lenny were jumping into the back. I put the truck in gear and drove to the 747.

Pulling up to the cargo bay door, I stepped out of the truck and into the platform carrier.

"What's going on?" Bill asked. I didn't answer as I raised the platform to the level of the cargo bay. Opening the cargo bay, I stepped inside and gathered my backpack with my sat-phone and maps. I sorted through the maps until I found the one for New York and surrounding areas. After about fifteen minutes, I had memorized the route to La Guardia. Untying the black Kawasaki Ninja from its moorings and stood it up on it's wheels. I kick-started it and drove it out the cargo bay door and over the platform of the catering truck - landing hard onto the pavement below. I heard Bill shout behind me. I spun around and stopped to see him and Lenny running towards me.

"Where are you going?" Bill was out of breath and sweating as he spoke.

"La Guardia." I answered. Revving the engin, I took off on the rear wheel as I heard Bill shout behind me.

"Wait for us....." was all I heard.

As I drove down the runway to the exit, Bill and Lenny both ran to the catering truck. They both grappled breifly as each attempted to get into the driver's seat. Finally Lenny got in and Bill shoved him to the passenger seat. Backing the truck up, he follwed me down the street with the platform still raised - taking out several electric lines and stoplights as I drove down the streets of New York to La Gaurdia airport.

At LaGuardia, I drove to a 747 sitting on the end of the runway. Bill and Lenny pulled up beside me in the catering truck and Bill stuck his head out.

"We're coming with you!" He smiled. I nearly objected, but then thought it might be safer if we were all in the same plane.

"Don't piss me off, or you'll find yourself landing much faster than you'd like." I glared at him and reved the engine for punctuation.

"Fine." He said quickly and fidgetted.

La Guardia was also without power and I thought briefly.

"Follow me, guys!" I ordered and drove to the end of the runway. Turning around, I pointed the motorcycle back towards the 747, put the kickstand down, and left the headlights on. I then climbed into the truck, shoving Bill over and floored it back to the 747. Pulling up to the cabin entrance, I lowered the platform, got out and got on the platform. Bill and Lenny joined me as I raised us up to the level of the cabin door.

The inside of the plane was eerily empty with several sets of empty clothes lying in the seats. I moved to the flight deck and removed the empty clothing from the captain's chair, tossing it aside. I looked at Bill and Lenny standing there. As I began my ritual of covering the cabin with post-it notes, I spoke to Bill and Lenny.

"Go to the galley and fix some coffee." I barked. They nodded and ran to the galley, bumping shoulders as they attempted to exit the flight deck at the same time.

After an hour of preparations, I looked down the runway, seeing my motorcycle which I had converted to a runway light. It would do. Bill and Lenny returned with a tray of coffee. Bill had changed his clothing into the captain's outfit - complete with hat - while the coffee was brewing. I rolled my eyes at him as I took the coffee. Reaching into my backpack, I pulled out two more dexatrine pills and swallowed them with the coffee.

"What do you want us to do?" Bill asked.

"Buckle up," I answered as I powered up the four massive Rolls Royce RB211 turbofan powerplants. Bill began to move into the pilot's chair.

".... somewhere else." I growled. Bill sheepishly got up and moved to the main cabin with Lenny.

Checking my fuel balance and level, I started the ECIS NAV system and looked up the VOR frequency for Kennedy, which was actually in the computer much to my surprise. Punching the throttle, I sent the plane hurling down the runway, and pulled smoothly into the air.

At cruising altitude, I switched on the cabin intercomm and asked Bill and Lenny to get me something to eat. After a few minutes, they brought in a bag of peanuts. I asked for a sandwich.

Bill returned with a stale sandwich and spoke.

"Where we heading?" Bill asked as I set the autopilot and opened the sandwich.

"Kennedy," I said. "We have some friends to help." I pulled some NASA proceedure manuals out of my backpack and began reading.

Sept. 21

As we climbed in the police car to head back to Wal-Mart, Gwen remarked,” You know, we really need a better car.”

Yeah, but this way, Killer Jones gets to pretend he a big, bad police dog.”

“Oh, that’s great,” she said sarcastically.

“Come on…if you’re a really good girl, I might let you blow the siren!”:toot:

~~~

We entered the store, side-stepping piles of clothes. Gwen said,” See ya later!”, and was off in a flash. Killer Jones took off in the other direction, barking excitedly.

I stood there trying to decide which direction to go first. I could hear Gwen, excitedly filling up her cart and talking to herself.

Just as I was reaching for the canned dog food, the lights went out! The occasional skylights overhead did little to help illuminate the interior of the store. It was really dark.

“Gwen…Jones…where are you?” As I fumbled for my lighter, I walked straight into one of the support columns placed, unfortunately, in the middle of the aisle.

“ OW! #!&*#$@!” …for the next couple seconds, all I could see was stars!

“Are you all right…what was that loud noise…where are you…”

Rubbing the knot on my forehead, I yelled back, “Stay put…it’s hazardous in here.”

I could hear Gwen over in the clothes dept., so I cautiously made my way in that direction. She started humming the ‘Mission Impossible’ theme song.

“HA HA Not Funny…where the devil are you?”, I said, as I stumbled against one of the clothes racks.

“You know…if you had a flashlight, you might not burn down the store,” she said, as she popped up in front of me.

“Well, don’t just stand there! Go find one and I’ll go look for Jones.”

I stomped off towards the grocery section, where I could hear the dog, growling and barking, like he had something cornered.

“Jones…Where you at, boy…come here….”

The fresh fruit and vegetables weren’t so fresh anymore…in fact, some of them were starting to stink! My feet got tangled in some clothes or something, and I went down, face first right into the big cardboard container of watermelons. Struggling to extract myself from the juicy mess, the side of the box tore and watermelons went rolling away into the darkness. “Great…Just what I need, MORE ‘road’ hazards!”

Jones came bouncing out of the darkness, and landed in my lap. He was trying to lick my face as Gwen came strolling up with her flashlight.

“Sure glad I don’t have to clean up that mess!”

“Yeah…let’s just get our stuff and get out of here.”

~~~

As we entered the parking lot, Gwen stopped suddenly. With a devilish gleam in her eye, she turned to me and said,” I have a GREAT idea!”

:idea31:

September 30th, 2004

(8 pm CDT)

We all climbed out of the Blackhawk and headed across the lawn towards the well lit side-walk leading up to the front doors…well at least the power was still on. We reached the front doors to find the glass had been broken…someone had beat us here! I told WAB to run back to the chopper and bring me a MP-5. He did so, and brought one for himself too, which DL6 quickly disarmed him and began brandishing it herself.

DL6: you think who ever broke in is still here?

HB: “maybe, or else they just didn’t bother to turn off the lights when they left….let’s stick together….I don’t want to run into you and spook you with that. Let’s find the control room.”

We located the control room ten minutes later, there on the ‘big screen’ were the astronauts still alive and going about their ‘routine’ business. Over in the corner of the control room I noticed a cot had been brought in, there was sleeping bag on it, and it was surrounded by stacks of manuals, code books, and memos, etc .. The whole things looked like a bird nest or rat’s nest…take your pick…atop the books were empty ‘Chinese take-out boxes’ “peanut butter cup wrappers and setting in the middle of the cot I found a pair of Roller-Blades and a ‘tickle me Elmo” doll with it’s head torn off and the name ‘Barry Manilow’ carved in the chest. I knew then and there….whoever this guy was….he had issues to deal with and decided to hide the doll from DL.

DL had meanwhile located the com panel and the control station for the VOX. As I walked back over to her side carrying the roller blades she had begun calling the I.S.S.

DL: “hello, you who, this is Houston calling you guys up there ….”

I could see the astronauts had heard her, and had directed their attention towards the camera…

ISS: “Houston, I.S.S., please identify.”

DL6: “ Wow…you guys are still alive….that’s so great.”

HB: “hey, …..everybody’s beamed up except a few of us, but you already know that! Afraid you just have two kids and a truck driver now…and whomever these belong to”( I wave the roller-blades in front of the camera.)

ISS; “Roger that, Houston., those would be Nik‘s?”

HB: “ Nik? Hey, WAB isn’t there a Nik at STF.Net wrote in Jeanway’s ~Sea Trek~~ with us?

WAB: “yeah….real bright guy”

HB: I.S.S., this is Houston, we are three possible friends of Nik’s.. if ‘your’ nik is the same guy we‘re thinking of.? He doesn’t seem to be here at the moment.”

ISS: “That’s an affirmative, Houston, Nik is chasing a possible contact .”

HB: “ I’m not going to even pretend to understand what that means…except Elvis has left the building, I gather…hey, you guys tell him Hb, DL6, and WAB are here in Houston, will ya?

Edited by headborg

Sunrise woke Lida up. She forgot to close the drapes which covered an East facing window. She wanted to sleep but she was hungry and so were the lizards. They were laying on her chest, sneezing up Lida's nose and doing push-ups. This is normal behavior for iguanas who want to get things rolling. "O.K., let's go find something to eat." She said to them. She took the girls to the bathtub and let them have a bath and relieve themselves. Then Lida looked at her clothes. "I think I'd better find something new to wear. I've been in this UPS uniform for almost a week now. I must stink." She thought to herself.

Down in the lobby, on their way to the kitchen she spotted a Gift Shop with clothing hanging on racks in the window, she went in. Put the lizards down in an old wicker baby pram that was used for display and started looking through the racks. "Mmm, silk, na, too fancy" She said to herself. "I need something durable and tough, like denim." She spotted a set of white bibs hanging on the wall next to a stack of T-Shirts that said on the front. "I'm With Stupid" and an arrow pointing to the side. She found her size, then one for Aaron in his size. Then grabbed a few extra for each of them. Then she changed her clothes. Grabbed a bag and stuffed it with the T's and an extra set of black bibs for herself and two blue ones for Aaron. Now, "Let's go" she said as she picked up the girls and headed for the kitchen. On the way there was a door leading to the pool. "Hmmm" She thought.

In the kitchen now most of the food was dried out, mouldy or rotting. But in the freezer most things were still cold. She found bags of frozen vegetables and took handfuls an placed them on the counter next to the lizards, which they quickly gobbled up. "Coffee, coffee, coffee, where's the coffee." She said repeatedly as she opend the row of cabinets. "AHA! Here it is." She said as she pulled a can from the shelf. Then she checked the stove, it was gas but it didn't work. so again she started searching through the cabinets. when under a counter she found something. A huge silver chafing dish in a silver cradle with cans of Sterno inside. "This'll work" She said to herself. From the cooler in the corner she filled the dish with Spring Water then placed it on it's stand and lit the Sterno she had piled in there. It went up like Mt. Saint Helens and soon the water boiled. She emptied the coffee right into the boiling water, let it simmer for a minute then took it off the fire. The smell was heavenly, it filled the room. She gave it a little stir then scooped a cup out for herself. "Uh oh." She remembered. She never drinks coffee black. But all the milk and cream had curdled in the refrigerator. 'Now What?" Then she remembered :( "Ice Cream" In the freezer, still semi-solid and very cold were gallons of ice cream, all flavours. She opened the door and took out French Vanilla and dropped a large scoop into her coffee. Stirred it and drank it down. "Mmm, that tastes like MORE." She said outloud and refilled her cup.

Aaron appeared in the doorway still sleepy. The aroma of the fresh brewed coffee pulled him from his bed and to the kitchen.

After they had drank their fill they decided to go for a swim in the Inn's pool just outside. "I don't have a suit." Aaron said. "Neither do I but wait." Lida ran to the gift shop and found bathing suits for both of them, ran back to the kitchen and said "Here, now you do." as she handed it to him. A nice Royal purple 'Speedo' and Lida's, the female version also in purple. "Let's go." Aaron said as they headed with the lizards to the outdoor pool.

post-897-1097791633.jpg

As they walked the airport as small plane sat there in the sun, sparkling and pristene. It looked like a toy it was so small. But right away Lida felt a kinship with this little beauty. It was the image of the Piper she learned to fly in. "Oh, Aaron, I know this plane like the back of my hand." She told him. "Well, I guess this is the one then." He answered. They climbed in.

post-897-1097795848.jpg

(Still Sept. 21)

“Great idea, huh….now what has that little blond brain come up with?”

She turned and started across the parking lot. I followed, still flinging off bits of watermelon. She approached a big RV.

“Aw, no way, Gwen…it’ll probably be locked anyhow.”

She dived into the pile of clothes lying on the pavement and emerged triumphantly with the keys. “SEE…it’ll be perfect…it even has a nice car in tow!”

I eyed the RV, considering the possibilities.

“You take the cop car back and get our stuff at the motel….maybe a shower, too….and Killer and I will get this ready to go.” :(

~~~~

By the time I got back, she had the RV cleaned out, stocked up and ready to go. I was somewhat amazed! As we pulled out of the parking lot, I noticed that big, angry-looking clouds were taking over the sky.

Lida climbed in on the pilot's side, Aaron in the passenger's side. They left the doors open as they searched the inside for the flight manual. Lida had put the lizards in the back on the floor since it was only a two seater. Aaron searched around, reaching under his seat he felt around. Someone had left a jacket in the back, it made a comfortable bed for them.

"I found it" Lida said.

She opened it and showed it to Aaron.

"We have to go down this list before we take off, Aaron. We can't skip anything. This is very important.O.K.?" She said.

"That's a long checklist." Aaron said."Are we going to get off the ground today?"

Lida laughed and said. "Sure just take us about HMM, an hour or two, it's been a while you know but we can do this." She told him.

"Alright, now first we have to remove the wheel lock." Lida struggles with it until Aaron reaches over and pulls the block free.

"Alright. Let me see here. It says we should check for bullet holes. Holy crap! Did they write this thing in Beirut!" Aaron said looking over the list. "Well I don't see any, what's next?"

"Well, next we have to get the paint stick and put the wheel lock in the pocket behind my seat." She does this by herself.

"Now, we have to make sure the ignition switch is OFF. The magnetos will be active if we don't and any movement of the prop will start the engine and we don't want that now do we?" She said.

Now, we have to make sure the ignition switch is OFF. The magnetos will be active if we don't any movement of the prop will start the engine and we don't want that now do we?" She said. "O.K. Aaron, Master switch is in the on positon. Now we need to check the fuel quantity. Both full, good. Now extend the flaps. Turn Master switch OFF. Set fuel selector to BOTH, ok, Now one of us needs to check the baggage door, outside the plane. Let's both do it.

Getting out of the plane they walk over to the baggage door. Aaron grabs the handle and yanks the door. It's unlatched and swings open, he falls hard on his butt. " Come on, get up." She tells him. "Now we have to remove the rudder gust in the back, come on, I'll show you. Then we have to disconnect the tail-tie down. Check the elevators and hinging. Now we need to check the rudder." She said.

" Next we need to check the assembly and disconnect the wing- tie down then

check the main wheel tire."

Edited by Jeanway

" Then climb up on the wing and check the fuel quantity. You want to climb up there? I can tell you what to do Aaron?" She asked him. "Alright." He says. Aaron tries to scramble up onto the wing but slides right back off. He tries again. After several minutes he finally manages to climb up on the wing and stay there. "Now where's the stick?" He looks around, Lida hands it to him.

"OK, now unsrew the cap and dip the stick down into the tank then look at the stick, what does it say? Full??" She asks him. "Yep. It's full." He says as he screws the cap back on. "Next we have to check the fuel integrity." She hands him the sampler tube. "Stick it down in there and fill it and hand it to me." She tells him.

After a few seconds he hands her the tube. "How's it look?" He asks. "Looks fine to me." She tells him as she holds it up in front of her eyes.

Aaron screws the cap back on and hops down.

"Now we have to check the engine and the oil." They walk around to the front of the plane. They inspect the engine cover, satisfied it's good they open it and check the oil. Lida pulls out the strainer drain knob and let's the plane take a "leak."

"Okay. The oil looks good." She says.

"Check the propeller." Aaron takes a look at the propeller. "Looks good."

"Good." Lida says. "Now check the exhaust pipe. Is it loose?" Giving it a tug Aaron answers. "Nope it's fine."

Lida checks the alternator belt and then closes the engine cover. She checks the nose wheel while Aaron undoes the front tie down.

"Check the static air source." Lida says.

"Which one is that?" Aaron asks. She points. While he looks inside it Lida checks the fuel tank vent.

"Looks good. Now the stall warning vent and the pilot tube cover." After that they check the flaps and the ailerons.

"Is there anything left on the list?" Aaron asks.

"Nope, everything checks out just fine. You ready to take off now Aaron? Do a little spin around the airport then land again? But you do know if we do, we have to do a check when we land then again before we take off again. I hope you realize that." She told him.

"Well I suppose practice makes perfect." He said. They laughed.

"So? We ready?" Lida asked Aaron. "I think so." He replied. They climbed into the small plane. Lida pointed out the gauges to him. "That's the tachometer. And that's the air speed gauge and that's the artificial horizon. Master switch on, ignition on." She started the engine. The propeller statred to whirl. Easing the throttle in just a bit the plane began to roll.

Lida kept her eyes on the guages as they began to accellerate down the runway. Since there was no one in the air or in the control tower, clearance wasn't neccessary."We need to get the plane up to 88 miles an hour to lift off." She told him. The tiny plane held together nice and tight. Hardly a rattle or noise, just the engine growing louder as she picked up speed. When at just the right moment Lida pulled back on the yolk and they were in the air. Lida looked over at Aaron who was turning a lovely shade of PUSE (green) :laugh: Holding on to anything he could reach.

His eyes were bugging. :laugh: "Relax. We'll just do a few circles around the airport. Ok." She reassured him. "Ok." He croaked and tried to clear his throat.

"Calm down Sweetie, everything is fine." She said as she reached over and patted his shoulder. He was shaking like a vibrator. "One circle, One circle, ONE circle." He kept repeating. Aaron sat in his seat and concentrated on his breathing. He looked out of the window and saw birds flying underneath the plane. Lida heard him make a gulping sound. "O.K., One circle, then we'll land, alright?" Lida assured him.

Lida banked left and pushed the yolk forward. Aaron thought they ere "GOING DOWN" FOR SURE. "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?? He yelled. "Nothing Sweetie, just want to get a closer look at the area." She answered. "Will you Please relax?" She said. Aaron tried to distract himself. He sang showtunes in his head but he kept forgetting the words. He looked out again and felt his coffee coming up. He gulped and stared down at his feet. He relaced his shoes in his mind and tried to ignore the sound of air rushing by the tiny plane.

Once around the airport now. Lida began her descent towards the end of the runway. Dropped the nose and pulled back on the throttle to slow the engine. Almost down now, the wheels touched gently on the tarmac and they rolled gently to the exact spot they had started from, in front of the hanger.

"Relax. We'll just do a few circles around the airport. Ok." She reassured him.

"Ok." He croaked and tried to clear his throat. His eyes were bugging out.

"Calm down Sweetie, everything is fine." She said as she reached over and patted his shoulder. He was shaking like a vibrator.

"One circle, one circle, ONE circle." He kept repeating.

Aaron sat in his seat and concentrated on breathing. He looked out of the window and saw bird's flying underneath the plane. Lida heard him make a gulping sound.

"O.K., One circle, then we'll land, alright?" Lida assured him. Lida banked left and pushed the yolk forward. Aaron thought they were "GOING DOWN" for sure.

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING?? He yelled.

"Nothing Sweetie, just want to get a closer look at the area." She answered. "Will you Please relax?" She said.

Aaron tried to distract himself. He sang showtunes in his head but he kept forgetting the words. He looked out again and felt his lunch coming up. He gulped and stared down at his feet. He relaced his shoes in his mind and tried to ignore the sound of air rushing by the tiny plane.

Once around the airport now. Lida began her decent towards the runway. Dropped the nose and pulled back on the throttle to slow the engine. Almost down now, the wheels touched gently on the tarmac and they rolled to a graceful stop right where they had started from in front of the hanger. Aaron opened his door and hurled on the ground.

Aaron spent several minutes laying flat on the ground. Getting up he was a little woozy.

"Whoa. I guess I'm not a good flyer." He said.

"Sweetie?" Lida asked. "Are you sure you've been up in an airplane before?"

"Just once. But I was a kid and I don't remember much." He felt his stomach lurch and ran behind a tree and emptied the rest of his breakfast on the grass.

"Well, we'd better get you some Dramamine from the gift shop, I saw they had some in there." Lida said to him. "If we are flying up to West Bend today, your going to need it, O.K.?" Lida asked him.

"Ok." He agreed. Inside the gift shop they found the Dramamine and some sodas. They weren't cold but they hadn't gone flat yet. They also picked up some snacks that were still edible but Aaron didn't feel like eating anything yet.

I called the dogs in after they made the rounds of a neighborhood in Dayton. It was a cold rainy autumn day and we were headed back to 'Voice of America' taking the scenic route. The trailer I found wasn't the best but it served our purpose and I had finished stripping the yet another mall of mirrors Daniel agreed that we had enough. We then headed to a store that exclusively sold amateur radio equipment. It took us hours to get there and then I made the discovery that the shop was closed. Breaking in was very difficult but I managed to smash in the glass panel door. I cut my left forearm during the ordeal and I was so angry and frustrated I cried not in pain but in anger. Daniel's image stood powerless in a display case and he look at me as if he would give anything to just hold me and rock in his arms. I felt as through I was encircled by heat and I knew it was Daniel trying to comfort me. I dried my eyes, as Daniel spoke softly and gently to me. "It's alright Pretty One, don't cry." I felt like a little girl that fell down and skinned her knee. Daniel had insisted that I show it to him and I held my arm up to the mirror above the sink in the bathroom. After a few minutes I found a first aid kit and cleaned and dressed my wound.

I worked hard getting the equipment he wanted and packing it into the truck. Soon we had moved on to the local hardware store and I took a case of duct tape, tools, over 20 flood lights, the brightest bulbs I could find, and several glass cutters. My crime spree had just begun as I move from there to a boutique that must of catered to the higher classes I took a several changes of clothes and a warm jacket as I had felt chilled with the cold and wet weather during the day. The local drugstore was my next stop for things I needed to treatment injured arm.

Night was now falling on us and I wasn't familiar with the area, there weren't any restaurants or motels so I found out in the boonies a farmhouse and stopped there for the night. The dogs needed to be fed and I wanted a hot bath.

post-606-1097885536.jpg

Edited by BlueCrystal