Sign in to follow this  
RikerChick

The new love in my life

Isn't she the cutest thing?!! She's been wondering our street for about an hour. Me and several other neighbors have been looking for the owner with no luck, so she's with us for now. I didn't want her wondering the streets at night. She so darn sweet!!!! :bow:

puppy.jpg

Guest Ktrek

That dog looks like a Chow. Let me tell you something about Chows before you get too attached because you need to make an informed decision about keeping the dog. We have a Chow. They are extremely loyal and a ONE FAMILY DOG! In other words do not expect the Chow to easily accept your friends or relatives. Our Chow will not even allow anyone outside of the immediate family to pet him. In fact he snaps at them and would bite them if pressed. They can be very tempermental and do not take to children who are not of the family. They will not allow stangers to cross your threshold. We have to let our Chow outside first, and let our friends in the house, then let the dog in. Even then he can be aggressive towards others. As they get older they also become more ornery and mean. Our dog has never bit me...YET... but I have come close. Outside of the things I have mentioned they are very nice dogs. I would just never own one again!

Ktrek

PUPPY!!!

Sorry, got a little carried away there, I love dogs, just wish I could have one of my own again.

I've actually had the total opposite experience with chows. I have a few friends who have them and they're the sweetest, most well behaved dogs I've ever known. This one is super well behaved. She hasn't tried to bite, bark, jump or anything. She's been very well trained. And so far she's been super with the kids. We're going to look for her owner some more and see if we can find where she belongs and then just take it from there.

We jsut got a new puppy about 10 days ago and while i have always been a cat person, i have suddenly become "mommy" to this little ball of fur. She is a sweetie and while i was reluctant to, i think i've fallen. :bow:

Listen to K'Trek! There's a chow across the street from my house. It is one nasty dog! It runs arround in the dead-end road across the street, making our dogs furrious becuase he knows they can't go attack him. He makes out dogs bark sooo much! I hate chows becuase of that dog!

Listen to K'Trek! There's a chow across the street from my house. It is one nasty dog! It runs arround in the dead-end road across the street, making our dogs furrious becuase he knows they can't go attack him. He makes out dogs bark sooo much! I hate chows becuase of that dog!

I refuse to group all chows together because some of them are stupid dogs. I've known several chows and I don't share the opinion that they're bad dogs. :bow:

I refuse to group all chows together because some of them are stupid dogs. I've known several chows and I don't share the opinion that they're bad dogs. :bow:

Every chow I've met has been a mean and violent dog.

Every chow I've met has been a mean and violent dog.

I'm sorry that you've had that experience with them. I'm glad I haven't. You should meet this one, a total sweetheart.

I have never had a bad experience with chows. My family and alot of my neighbors growing up had chows, and they were the sweetest most loving dogs, they were protective of their families, but only if they got the impression that someone was in danger did they ever get defensive.

She's precious - but I did read a description of Chows by a Vet. He refused to take Chows as patients because they were so unpredictable. My sister's bit her son when he came over to feed it. Can you believe he's a postal carrier and the only time he's been bitten was in his mom's back yard?

I don't think you can group all dogs of one breed together with a particular temperament. It depends on how they are "brought up", so to speak. I have a Rotweiller, which have a particularly bad reputation, but he's lovely. I have trained him well, and the most important thing is i have NEVER hit him. Mistreating a dog and /or chaining him up are the two ways to guarantee a nasty animal.

That dog looks like a Chow. Let me tell you something about Chows before you get too attached because you need to make an informed decision about keeping the dog. We have a Chow. They are extremely loyal and a ONE FAMILY DOG! In other words do not expect the Chow to easily accept your friends or relatives. Our Chow will not even allow anyone outside of the immediate family to pet him. In fact he snaps at them and would bite them if pressed. They can be very tempermental and do not take to children who are not of the family. They will not allow stangers to cross your threshold. We have to let our Chow outside first, and let our friends in the house, then let the dog in. Even then he can be aggressive towards others. As they get older they also become more ornery and mean. Our dog has never bit me...YET... but I have come close. Outside of the things I have mentioned they are very nice dogs. I would just never own one again!

Ktrek

:bow: When I was a kid my mother had a chow. She loved this dog. I was always afraid of it. We went on vacation for a couple of weeks. My father took care of the dog while we were gone. When we returned the first thing my mother wanted to do was to go and pet her dog. She ran out to the dog pen and let him out. He immediately attacked her. I ran inside to get my father, who had to beat the dog off of her. Needless to say this chow had to be put to sleep. The whole set of events broke my mother's heart. She could not understand why he attacked her. I always thought the dog was angry with my mother for leaving him. :bow:

Guest Ktrek

Even though my Chow so far has never bitten anyone I have had several scares. He was avery kind dog to family members when he was younger. Now that he's old he is ornery and unpredictable. I think Chows can make good protectors but if you have alot of kids coming and going or alot of visitors raising a Chow may not be the best thing. I have known several people over the years that have had the same experience with Chows that I have had. They are a very good looking dog and extremely cute when they are puppies. I just would be careful! Don't allow your emotions and cuddly feelings get the better of you. You may regret it in the future.

Ktrek

Awwwwwwwwww :D she looks sooo adorable :o I have 2 Staffordshire Bull Terriers, people think that they are really agressive but it's the way you bring them up, actually staffies can be really good family dogs, great for kids, I grew up with one :look:

Awww! She's so cute! :) Congrats! I've got two mutts from the pound at my house, one is (we think) Chiuhauha, Jack Russle and maybe Doxen. The other is a big dog, part grey hound we think :) Both total sweethearts :wow:

That IS one cute Puppy, but my 2 are cuter. but then agane they are MY boys and I love em to bits.

"Dogs RULE!" :wow:

My brother had a chow, Chelsea. She was a beautiful dog about the same color as yours. She was very good until my nephews and niece came along. They had to give her to a couple with no children. She got very agressive and they didn't want it to get ugly. He's also had Rotties. Moses and Cassie had 13 babies, 4 of which died from parvo. They found out that the neighborhood kids' puppies had it and that's how they got it. They were devistated. They did nurse one back and Gideon is the light of my life. Although he does live with them, :( he's a wonderful dog. HUGE! That changed my opinion of Rotties forever! Moses had cancer, so he's gone, but Cassie is 9 and Gideon is I think 7. :innocent: I'm allergic to fur, otherwise I'd have a Rottie.

Katy