Sign in to follow this  
fenriz275

Star Trek Names

I was wondering about StarTrek names. Why don't we ever see a Captain Bob? Admiral Pete? Ambassador Wally? Petunia, Hero of the Klingon Empire? Well I will admit those Klingon have some catchy names. Klang? Anyone? I can't be the only one who hears Kern and wants to put a 'el' on the end of it. :)

Same here! I always wanted to see a chief engineer named Earl. I would also like to see helmsmen with names like Bo. We should also have a first officer with a deep south accent.

In a college RPG, I modeled a science officer after Bonanza's Little Joe. His quarters were made out to look like a campsite in the dessert with holgraphic stars, crickets, and he owned a real horse, which made a great addition to the game. It was great because my character could come up with all sorts of western euphemisms which added an oddly humorous element to the game.

I think the same would be neat in Star Wars. It would be interesting to see a Darth Maurice or a Darth Bob.

Edited by nik

Would that really work? I'm not really lloking forward to a Star Trek: The Adventures of Skippy the Captain.

Would that really work? I'm not really lloking forward to a Star Trek: The Adventures of Skippy the Captain.

260718[/snapback]

SKIPPY the Captain! There's another good one!

I can see where your going with the idea, but I think it would have taken away from the show if a character had a name like that as no one would have taken them seriously.

I can see where your going with the idea, but I think it would have taken away from the show if a character had a name like that as no one would have taken them seriously.

262119[/snapback]

I agree. Though it has humor in it, Star Trek is more serious, thus requiring more respectable, often "Hard-to-pronounce" names. Hmm.....what was Sulu's first name? Was it Hikaru? Someone pronounce that for me :wow:

If you wanted to, you could almost say that Spock is the Vulcan form of "Bob" :wow:

~Jaina

Hikaru: hee-KAA-roo

The 'a' sounds like the 'a' in father. The emphasis on the second syllable is only slight, and the r sounds almost like an l.