Sign in to follow this  
gdog243

Star Trek 5: The Final Frontier

Star Trek 5 is usually considered one of the worst movies in the trek franchise, but is there anyone out there who likes this movie as much as I do. Yeah there were bad scenes, but there were also very memorable scenes, such as showing the deep connection with Kirk, Spock, and Mc Coy in Yosemite or when the enteprise is about to go into the great barrier and the camera scans down to "Where No Man Has Gone Before."

I remember watching it on DVD a few months back, and it's not as bad as people make it out to be.

I agree gdod i enjoyed the movie very much. The scenes at Yosimete were great. i love the song by Uhura she looks really good there. The death scene of McCoys father was the second best I chose on that poll thread a couple of days ago. The only part that was bad in my opinion was the end it could have been better, but as I understand it they ran out of money. I think it was a better film than Insurrection.

I agree gdod i enjoyed the movie very much. The scenes at Yosimete were great. i love the song by Uhura she looks really good there. The death scene of McCoys father was the second best I chose on that poll thread a couple of days ago. The only part that was bad in my opinion was the end it could have been better, but as I understand it they ran out of money. I think it was a better film than Insurrection.

258675[/snapback]

Yeah, Uhura looks really really good. :picard-sith: :blush 2:

It certainly isn't among my top 3 fav Trek movies..But I like it..It could have been a lot better of course..But I blame that on the ending..I like this movie better than any of TNG movies with the exception of FC of course..I have the DVD and have watched it several times..I enjoy it..

Spock, are you one with the horse ?

....Yes Captain... :picard-sith:

I have to watch it again, it's been so long I don't remember much at all. All I remember is a shuttle crashing and a campfire. :picard-sith:

The plot was kind of sad. I mean, how could Scotty no be able to fix the transporters?

But what I like about the movie was the philosophical dilemna presented about our desires and our search for truth.

I haven't seen it in awhile, I'll have to watch it again.

I did like it when they talk about getting the shuttle into the hangerbay in time and Sulu says, "Actually this is my first attempt" and Sybok (is that his name) is like, oh no

Edited by ussacclaim

I like Star Trek V, until I started posting at this site I had no idea how many fans hated the movie. :b-day: I had always thought that it was funny and have watched it many times. The seens in Yosemite are my favourite. :b-day:

ST 5 has to be my least fav ST film well to tell the truth i hate that film the only scene i like in that movie is when scotty says he knows the ship like the back of his hand then smacks his head off that beam of metal :b-day::b-day::b-day:

Its very hard for me to dislike anything Star Trek. As for Final Frontier, I remember it fondly for the scenes where Kirk and McCoy sang Row Row Row your boat and Spock flying like Superman. Really good scenes. I like the movie.

As a whole, I enjoy Star Trek V, true it is not one of my favorite of the films but, as mentioned before, you have the Kirk, Spock and McCoy triad which held the film together. Yes there are major mistakes (deck 78 anyone) and plot holes you can park a spacedock in, but that does not dinimish its entertainment value. My favorite scenes are the campire scene and the God encounter.

I don't think Star Trek V is as bad as a lot of people make it out to be, but I still think it's the weakest of the original series films.

I like this film. I can see all the bits it fall down at - the comedy is a bit misguided at parts - but V has some of the best moents in all the Trek movies. I cried the first time I saw Bones being forced to end his fathers suffering and laughed out loud when Kirk asks 'What does God need with a starship?'. This is a good film and I would rather watch this one than that horrendous Insurrection.

I like Star Trek V . Mostly for the humor. It showed the clear strong bond between Kirk, Spock, and McCoy. :wow:

Guest Ktrek

When I first saw this movie in the theater, many years ago, I really didn't care for it. I thought the whole search for God concept was kind of stupid. The movie does have it's faults and part of it is Mr. Shatners directing. I wonder how much better a movie this could have been if Nimoy had directed? Anyway, after many viewings in sequence of all the movies I have come to appreciate this movie for what it is. In fact the last time I watched it, when the Special Edition came out, I enjoyed it more than I ever had.

Kevin

The Final Frontier is a bad movie, largely because we saw the heights of the franchise in the previous film come crashing down to Earth (almost like Kirk! lol).

There are a few good moments like the attack on Nimbus, however the majority of the film seems uneasy. When I first saw the film on cinema release I found the characterisation to be the major disappointment, for example, when the ship crosses the barrier and Sybok tells Kirk he can have the ship back. Now in my opinion the Kirk of the original series would have beat the daylights out of the Vulcan then slung him in the brig before exploring the planet below for himself rather then teaming up with a chap who just stole the Enterprise!

The movie was weak compared to movies like Wrath of Khan and Voyage Home. It did have it's moments. I thought some of the humor was great and some of the interaction between the characters was good. But it had a weak story line. I agree with Ktek. The search for God is weak. It does have my favorite Scotty line. "I know this ship like the back of my head" and he proceeds to hit his head.

Ok I watched it tonight, and safe to say I most definitely do not like this movie. The writing is bad, the directing is bad, the special effects are bad.....did I mention the writing is bad? I'd rather watch Nemesis and I hate that movie. Ok, I'll leave this thread to the people who like it now.

Ok I watched it tonight, and safe to say I most definitely do not like this movie. The writing is bad, the directing is bad, the special effects are bad.....did I mention the writing is bad? I'd rather watch Nemesis and I hate that movie. Ok, I'll leave this thread to the people who like it now. 

262629[/snapback]

I'll just second that^ and slowly back out of the room... :dude:

I am a FAN of ST:TFF, yes it has it's problems but I understand and appreciate the goals the film tried unsuccessfully to achieve. HERE'S a link to my favorite review of ST:5. (and a copy in the spoiler in case you can't or won't click links)

Click For Spoiler

I especially agree with the author on the point being if this film had been done as an Original Series episode it would probably be hailed as one its finest accomplishments. To me this one is a time machine set to take you back some 38 years for a visit to a bygone era; the character interactions, the cheesy effects, the silly subject, all combine into one hellofa modern day flashback to TOS in it's most often seen form. It's a Classic!

startrekvscene.jpg

Little known facts about the production of ST5

Author Robert J. Sawyer on ST: 5TFF

Edited by Alterego

I quite enjoyed the movie actually, I thought The Final Frontier was quite good. However I don't think I've disliked anything to do with Star Trek.