Sign in to follow this  
~Crims~

Damar

When Damar first appeared on the show I couldn't stand his character. He had no likeable characteristics and he was really dull compared to Dukat in my opinion, but by the end I liked him almost as much as Dukat. He played the part of a Cardassian leader, fed up with the Dominion, very well. It was tragic that he died, but you can't be a hero, unless you die, so they say... and despite his wrong doings, that's what he was. For awhile, I thought Dukat had come to his senses and was going to be good himself but he screwed that up when he signed the treaty with the Dominion, and then went further down the sanity spiral to the point of almost being insane. So I'm glad Damar ended up filling the void as the Cardassian who realized he was wrong.

I agree for the most part. Damar went from being a drunken lackey to an actual leader who saw the wrongs of occupation. His turnaround was almost a forebearance of the Cardassia to come. Guilt combined with a longing for freedom and self-determination, turned him from being a self-centered, prejudiced bastard to someone who recoginzed the need for co-operation among his former enemies. His recognition that without Kira, the rebellion would have died before it was even born. As Garek said, how ironic that the Cardassians owe a great debt to their former enemies and slaves in learning how to fight occupiers and become resistance fighter in their own rights. It was nice to see Damar grow up and have a more intregal part in the last two years of the series.

Damar started off as being a lackey, not at all loyal to the Dominion but very much a Cardassian patriot. He would do whatever was best for Cardassia, even if it meant killing Dukat's daughter.

I liked his character.

I think in general they did the right and the natural thing with Damars development as a character. It felt right. I do have some gripes with minor details, mostly Dukat and others forgiving and forgetting that he killed Ziyal.

It was fun to see Damar as a foil for Weyon. With Dukat and Weyoun you always felt Dukat had the upper hand. Weyoun although representing the greater power was always too laid back. Weyoun and Damar were more on the same level. Both buffoons in their way, and seeing them go at each other like Heckle and Jeckle was entertaining.

Damar...the best Cardassian there ever was. May the prophets ease his death among the hall of heroes...

Now Dukat...dont get me started....

I don't know about the best. I liked Garak better than any of the other Cardies.

Well I'm sure that from my username and avatar everyone can tell where my true allegiance lies but I still liked Damar. He may be my least favourite of the three main Cardassians but being third after Dukat and Garak is still one hell of an accolade as far as I'm concerned.

Damar was a perfect example of how the writing team on DS9 were able to introduce recurring characters and develop them into complex and multi-layered personalities.

Something that was sorely lacking on VOY and ENT.

It was too bad to see Damar die-particluarly when he'd turned a corner, philosophically. It would be neat, to have him playing a role in rebuilding Cardassia, physically, and culturally, towards a rapproacment with the Federation, which, I suspect, as our country did after WW2, would look to both the suffering innocents there-and the promise of an eventual partnership, oneday. But, Damar's death did come like a classic hero-who-sacrifices.

It was too bad to see Damar die-particluarly when he'd turned a corner, philosophically. It would be neat, to have him playing a role in rebuilding Cardassia, physically, and culturally, towards a rapproacment with the Federation, which, I suspect, as our country did after WW2, would look to both the suffering innocents there-and the promise of an eventual partnership, oneday. But, Damar's death did come like a classic hero-who-sacrifices.

I'm liking that idea. I especially like the correlation between war torn Cardassia and WW2 era Earth. :biggrin: .... and your totally right on about Damar's heroic death. :P

Well I'm sure that from my username and avatar everyone can tell where my true allegiance lies but I still liked Damar. He may be my least favourite of the three main Cardassians but being third after Dukat and Garak is still one hell of an accolade as far as I'm concerned.

Well said!

Man, there were some incredible actors on this show. And what great material they were given to work with.

DS9 is the UBERTREK. None of the other shows really compare, not even the original series (which I loved) or TNG (also loved). DS9 was on an entirely different plane.

Damar ... I hated him then I loved him.

Garak ... always loved him, but you could never really tell which side he was on until toward the end.

Dukat ... I hated him, then I liked him, then I loved him, then I despised him.

What talent from the writers of this show.

It's precisely the quality of these characters and DS9 in general that makes me cringe whenever I remember they are working on a prequel to the original series. What a botched job SOMEONE did on this franchise. It was not DS9's lack of quality in any area that caused Trek to lose viewers. It was mismanagement of the entire franchise, oversaturation of the market, and just really dumb follow-up series that resulted in them having to hit the reset button.

DS9 deserved its chance at the big screen, but it was never going to happen because of the morons who were at the helm driving this ship into the ground.

It's depressing.

I will further comment this-'Plain, simple Garak' was a nice addition to the series-not to take away fro any of the others. I loved his relationship with Julian-poor guy, always trying to plumb his depths-which, at times, was about as easy as getting a Breen to work for the peace corp. :biggrin: ''The Wire'' always sticks out in my mind as a strong one..and ''In the Pale Moonlight''... pity he and Damar couldn't have worked together later.

Damar was a perfect example of how the writing team on DS9 were able to introduce recurring characters and develop them into complex and multi-layered personalities.

Something that was sorely lacking on VOY and ENT.

I agree totally.

It's precisely the quality of these characters and DS9 in general that makes me cringe whenever I remember they are working on a prequel to the original series. What a botched job SOMEONE did on this franchise.

We are like two minds and one thought you and I. I'll credit you with the thought if you let me have at least one of the minds.

At first I was pretty indifferent to him, hated him when he killed Ziyal, then loved him after he defected from the Dominion. It was so sad when he died!

It was great to see the journey from drunken lacky to heroic freedom fighter. One of the best developed characters in Trek, and he wasn't even a main cast member. If that doesn't prove DS9's awesomeness, nothing does.

Oh, I loved him. His spats with Weyoun were priceless.

But really I liked him before I even knew who he was. I was still in the early seasons of DS9 when I came across this really elaborate role playing thing on LiveJournal. And I just got hooked. I read through all of the posts and stories and it was really quite exciting. Damar was one of the main characters and I just grew to like him. So when he showed up in the series, he was already one of my favorites. I was devastated when he died. Especially since that role play I had been reading was set after the war and during Cardassia's rebuilding.

It's funny, but the characters on DS9 that ended up being my favorites are not even main cast members. And they're all Cardassians. Heh. I love DS9 for its great character development, including those characters who may not be in every episode. A really good series all around.