Sign in to follow this  
~Crims~

What You Leave Behind

I've finally seen the complete run through of DS9, with a couple of missing episodes here and there. So tonight I finished with What You Leave Behind.

I'd like to know what everyone's opinion of this episode is? Maybe because I liked the show so much but to me this was one hell of a sad final episode. I haven't seen All Good Things since it's original airing but End Game was happy. The crew finally back in the Alpha Quadrant, all in one piece, where as What You Leave Behind has Odo leaving Kira, O'Brien leaving DS9, Sisko leaving Cassiday and Jake, and so forth. The only happy parts are Bashir finally finding love and Worf going with Martok and at least we know from the TNG movies that Worf is still doing good.

In a way it was a clever way to end the show, kind of finish everyone's running story, where as End Game just ended out of nowhere (what the heck happens to everyone back on Earth!?!). Seeing What You Leave behind really drives home the fact that I think us DS9 fans really need a DS9 movie, or least have most of the cast involved in a multi-cast movie... because everything was too sad to leave as is.

A multi-cast movie will never happen, allthough Berman does want to do a mixed-cast movie. :laugh:

Never say never. They also said TNG would never last.

I completely agree. They need to make a movie and bring Sisko back. I know they could come up with an awesome story. As for mixed cast, they could bring a cast member or 2 from Voyager in but it wouldn't be needed.

Worf would be there and they could bring Capt. Rikers ship in for an extended stay at the station.

ideally thats what we would all like..but to tie it all together there gonna need some good writers on board... the old stng writers

I've always believed that "What you Leave Behind", was a great episode and ending. With Sisko now a part of the Prophets or wormhole aliens, if you prefer, it brought the whole Bajoran story arc to it's end while leaving open the very real possibility of him returning. We know he's not dead, just non-corporeal and he fulfilled his destiny. If a mixed cast movie is ever made, something that at this point no one here can say for sure will happen, Sisko should be a part of it simply because he is now more then he and starfleet ever thought he was. As he said in the finale, he may be back tomorrow or even yesterday. Time has no meaning for him anymore. There are so many things that can be continued from where DS9 ended. The Founders are still there, being cured by Odo, The Jem Hadar are there also, still under control of the Founders. A new alliance can possibly be built now between the gamma and alpha quadrants, provided that Odo can teach the great link not to fear the solids of the alpha quadrant. Bajor still has yet to join the Federation and may never, prefering to keep their independance. These are just a few ideas. Yes, it was a sad ending but most endings are supposed to be sad and this one did the trick. As it was said in TNG, all good things must eventually come to an end. This one was bittersweet but satisfying none the less.

hi guys, new memeber here... anyways, i was reading this thread, and wanted to say that there probably won't be a DS9 movie. They "re-launched" the DS9 series in book form (you guys may or may not know... ) Starting from after the events of "What you leave behind" the two book series "Avatar" picks up where the series finale left off. if anyone who hasn't read the books and wants me to post a few highlights and key events i would be glad to. thought i'd ask and not spoil the books for anyone who will be reading them. :laugh:

all i will say for now, is most of the questions raised here are resolved and answered in the books following the series finale. with sisko and the fate of bajor coming in an another book being published somtime near the end of the year (november..i think)

A multi-cast movie will never happen, allthough Berman does want to do a mixed-cast movie. :laugh:

Never say never. They also said TNG would never last.

OK, in a Trek movie, you have like 10 or so main characters including the villian and such. If you did a multi-cast movie, you'd have like 20-30 characters! Ya can't pull that off in a 2-hour movie. :laugh:

hi guys, new memeber here... anyways, i was reading this thread, and wanted to say that there probably won't be a DS9 movie. They "re-launched" the DS9 series in book form (you guys may or may not know... ) Starting from after the events of "What you leave behind" the two book series "Avatar" picks up where the series finale left off. if anyone who hasn't read the books and wants me to post a few highlights and key events i would be glad to. thought i'd ask and not spoil the books for anyone who will be reading them.  :laugh:

all i will say for now, is most of the questions raised here are resolved and answered in the books following the series finale. with sisko and the fate of bajor coming in an another book being published somtime near the end of the year (november..i think)

Yes, they have continued the story with the books but the books are considered "fantasy" and not part of the "time line" when it comes to making the TV Shows and Movies. So a movie would still be possibly and the books wouldn't be considered at all when a movie's story is written.

Just how likely a movie being made is, that's a different story.

Here's what I found after a quick Yahoo search:

After many emails and many discusses with friends and players I have decided to put up this list. This is a listing and an explanation of my views on what is and what is not canon in the Star Trek Universe. You must remember that only what is aired on television and what is seen in the movies is considered canon by Paramount. Nothing else is. Also, remember that you as Narrator can make anything canon you wish to be canon in your own Series. I must point out that this is my opinion only and I am sure yours may differ from this list. If you have questions or comments about this list please let me know.

The list travels from most canon to least canon. This list is based on the list that George Lucas used to show what was Star Wars canon. An interesting note about his list is that he considered his scripts, radio plays, and novels based on his movies to be canon first before any of the fan produced materials out there. Note that most newer material supersedes older material on the same line unless other things on the same line or above agree with the older material.

For example: If TOS says that Y happened but TNG says X happened but DS9 and VOY both say that Y happened then generally I would have to say that Y did in fact happen.

• The television shows and motion pictures. The only true canon material

• Paramount produced and written books about the Star Trek Universe. (Star Trek Encyclopedia, Star Trek Chronology, Enterprise D Blueprints, DS9 Technical Manual, the various Enterprise cut away posters etc.) The only items on this list that are even close to being on equal footing as the television shows and movies are the Chronology and Encyclopedia. These books are used by the writers and producers as a reference and in making the television shows and movies. If it is in these books Paramount generally holds it to be true.

• Paramount approved licensees (LUG Star Trek Role Playing Games, the bios in the Star Ship Creator Video Game) and the Star Trek Web Site
    Note: the new LUG RPG supercedes any other RPG produced

• Star Trek creator’s novels (Gene Roddenberry’s "Star Trek the Motion Picture" Novel, Jerry Taylor’s "Mosaic" Novel)

• Scripts for each of the series and movies

• Drafts of scripts for the television shows and movies*

• The Star Trek Animated Series**

• The Star Trek Animated Series scripts

• Drafts of the Star Trek Animated Series scripts

• The comic book series

• Fan produced Technical Manuals

• Fan written novels

*Information about McCoy’s family background was written into a TOS episode Way to Eden but was taken out. I consider this as canon as the television shows because of the importance to McCoy.

**Some material on Spock’s background from one episode of this series is considered as canon as the television shows from the episode Yesteryear.

**Sense what appeared to be an updated cat like alien in STIV may have been a Catian from the AS I have included them as canon. This is still debated and will only be decided as far as LUG STRPG is concerned when the TOS Corebook comes out.

~From http://home.austin.rr.com/jdominion/command/cannon.htm

I've finally seen the complete run through of DS9, with a couple of missing episodes here and there. So tonight I finished with What You Leave Behind.

I'd like to know what everyone's opinion of this episode is? Maybe because I liked the show so much but to me this was one hell of a sad final episode. I haven't seen All Good Things since it's original airing but End Game was happy. The crew finally back in the Alpha Quadrant, all in one piece, where as What You Leave Behind has Odo leaving Kira, O'Brien leaving DS9, Sisko leaving Cassiday and Jake, and so forth. The only happy parts are Bashir finally finding love and Worf going with Martok and at least we know from the TNG movies that Worf is still doing good.

In a way it was a clever way to end the show, kind of finish everyone's running story, where as End Game just ended out of nowhere (what the heck happens to everyone back on Earth!?!). Seeing What You Leave behind really drives home the fact that I think us DS9 fans really need a DS9 movie, or least have most of the cast involved in a multi-cast movie... because everything was too sad to leave as is.

its not often you have a series finale that actually lives up to hope, and is very good. DS9 is my favorite trek series, and one of my all time faves, so i was happy to see it end well. i just hope to see some movies with the DS9 crew back. :look:

Well, since there are no plans for a DS9 movie, and to those who don't care for Trek books, what do you think of "What You Leave Behind" as the ending to the DS9 story?

Personally, I think it wrapped up the show wonderrfully! There's only 2 things that bugged me.

1. Bajor didn't join the Federation.

2. Sisko joined the Prophets.

Other than that, spectacular finale! :andorian:

Here's a picture from the finale. :theking:

575133.jpg

I Loved It.  Thiought It Wrapped up things perfectly....while leaving room for more Story...Sisko Joining The Prophets and all :andorian:

Nice, didn't look at it like that! That must'a been why they had a cliffhanger-style finale... so they would have some stories to build on in the event of a theatrical or tv movie. :theking:

I've always believed that "What you Leave Behind", was a great episode and ending.  With Sisko now a part of the Prophets or wormhole aliens, if you prefer, it brought the whole Bajoran story arc to it's end while leaving open the very real possibility of him returning.  We know he's not dead, just non-corporeal and he fulfilled his destiny.  If a mixed cast movie is ever made, something that at this point no one here can say for sure will happen, Sisko should be a part of it simply because he is now more then he and starfleet ever thought he was.  As he said in the finale, he may be back tomorrow or even yesterday.  Time has no meaning for him anymore.  There are so many things that can be continued from where DS9 ended.  The Founders are still there, being cured by Odo, The Jem Hadar are there also, still under control of the Founders.  A new alliance can possibly be built now between the gamma and alpha quadrants, provided that Odo can teach the great link not to fear the solids of the alpha quadrant.  Bajor still has yet to join the Federation and may never, prefering to keep their independance.  These are just a few ideas.  Yes, it was a sad ending but most endings are supposed to be sad and this one did the trick.  As it was said in TNG, all good things must eventually come to an end.  This one was bittersweet but satisfying none the less.

I'm late to this convo ( what else is new :)) Xenexian..I loved your post..very well written. Spork I'd love to know what happened in those books. My question is..Does a DS9 movie necessarily have to havce Sisko in it to succeed? Or is that like a Picard-less TNG?