Sign in to follow this  
~Crims~

Jake Sisko

I've always thought that for a character who is mentioned in the main credits, he sure isn't in a lot of episodes. I never really had a problem with his character but I think the writers made a big mistake and built themselves into a wall when they decided to make Jake not want to get involved with Star Fleet. I really think the character could have been so much more interesting and they could have done so much more if he wanted to become a member of Star Fleet as opposed to a reporter who shows up every 10 episodes.

i liked jakes character, whenever he and nog were starting trouble was pretty interesting sometime. i think his character added to the show, at least to getting to know sisko better. all in all he was a good character to have, IMHO.

i liked jakes character, whenever he and nog were starting trouble was pretty interesting sometime. i think his character added to the show, at least to getting to know sisko better. all in all he was a good character to have, IMHO.

The Nog+Jake scenes kind of disappeared in Season 5 though, Nog went on to Star Fleet and became much more interesting, while Jake spent most of his time being written out of episodes because there was nothing they could do with him.

Im rather glad that the didn't make his character enter StarFleet. Having another regular, every episode talking chracter wold have made the episodes conjested. DS9 might also have had another 'Wesley Crusher' on its hands. (where Wesley is mildly headstrong only to learn the error of his ways and the finer points of StarFleet philosophy... every... episode...) The way they did it, Jake was an intresting, refreshing character who offered a slightly different viewpoint and who never outstayed his welcome. Unlike Wesley, Jake was more grown up and never tedius.

Im rather glad that the didn't make his character enter StarFleet. Having another regular, every episode talking chracter wold have made the episodes conjested. DS9 might also have had another 'Wesley Crusher' on its hands. (where Wesley is mildly headstrong only to learn the error of his ways and  the finer points of StarFleet philosophy... every... episode...) The way they did it, Jake was an intresting, refreshing character who offered a slightly different viewpoint and who never outstayed his welcome. Unlike Wesley, Jake was more grown up and never tedius.

I still don't know why nobody liked Wesley, I thought he was just fine.

Im rather glad that the didn't make his character enter StarFleet. Having another regular, every episode talking chracter wold have made the episodes conjested. DS9 might also have had another 'Wesley Crusher' on its hands. (where Wesley is mildly headstrong only to learn the error of his ways and  the finer points of StarFleet philosophy... every... episode...) The way they did it, Jake was an intresting, refreshing character who offered a slightly different viewpoint and who never outstayed his welcome. Unlike Wesley, Jake was more grown up and never tedius.

i agree with all that you said. wesley was rather whiney, thinking he knew everything, only to find out hes wrong. but jake was a welcome character.

ahem! :wow: I liked Wesly Crusher thanks! :D But I felt that Jake was kinda given the bum rap and was only on DS9 to further point out that Sisko had family to worry about therefore making him even more less alike then the rest of Trek captains in that he has family to worry about. But yes Jake did not recieve the attention he should have.

I liked Wesly Crusher thanks!

Well I would have liked him had he only appeared now and again to provide a different point of view and not on every episode...

I agree; Jake should have been used more. His life of growing up on the station must've been interesting. (The fleas he and Nog released were amusing.) And there must have been more problems getting to know Nog than just their dating habits. Jake introduced Nog to 'hew-mon" food - did he ever try the Ferengi beetles and bugs? How about the snuff? Other Ferengi customs? Quark always seemed ready to instruct people on them! Did Q ever get to like Jake? Did Rom? Rom certainly seemed to accept it after a while, but Q didn't. All these questions... ;)

I thought it was interesting that Sisko was not only black but also a single parent which made his character even more of an example to others. Jake started off as a nice kid but then he became a teenager and he had to grow up. I think that the way in which he and Nog turned out were complete opposites to what we expected which made for a great plot device.

The Nog+Jake scenes kind of disappeared in Season 5 though, Nog went on to Star Fleet and became much more interesting, while Jake spent most of his time being written out of episodes because there was nothing they could do with him.

Never really thought about Jake being "underused" but now i think about it you are right.

At least he wasn't overused, like a certain young man onboard the Enterprise-D that I know of... ;)

I actualy didn't really mind WC. Whenever he took a 'primary' role in an episode he was often good , such as when the whole crew of the Enterprise is obsessed by a mind game/controller and he must find a way to stop its effects, but his performances as a 'secondary' character were woefully abismal. I think that they tried to hard to impress his character on people and so overkilled him, except for the few occaisions where such attention on him was warranted.

Jake should have definitely been used more, but I still liked his character and he was still an integral part of the show IMO.

I'm really not surprised that Jake elected not to follow in his father's footsteps. If you look at it from his point of view, he might very well have blamed Starfleet for putting his mother in harm's way, resulting in her death. I don't think this was ever brought up in the series, it just kinda makes sense to me.

Even though the character was under-developed, he had some excellent episodes. One of my favorites is The Visitor, which points out the strength of the bond between Sisko and Jake.

Overall, I liked Jake and enjoyed what I did see of him.

I've always thought that for a character who is mentioned in the main credits, he sure isn't in a lot of episodes. I never really had a problem with his character but I think the writers made a big mistake and built themselves into a wall when they decided to make Jake not want to get involved with Star Fleet. I really think the character could have been so much more interesting and they could have done so much more if he wanted to become a member of Star Fleet as opposed to a reporter who shows up every 10 episodes.

I wish the Trek writers had had him go into Starfleet, as well. Episodes like "...Nor the Battle to the Strong" could have still worked with him in Starfleet. They could have written him as a green officer, who's opposed to war. He could have even gone in with the express purpose of doing his duty as a person opposed to conflict, like a medic or even as a Starfleet reporter. Having him as a Starfleet officer would have also made his access to areas, like the bridges of starships, make more sense.

He's a good character overall. Too bad he was utilized enough.

Most of the Starfleet officers we've seen come from Starfleet families. We also saw most of the "Starfleet brats" enter Starfleet themselves. You would get the idea that Starfleet is the only employer out there. It just isn't realistic to have that many Starfleet families, and it is boring as hell for the audience. So what is wrong with having Jake not wanting the Starfleet path? How would having Jake want to join Starfleet have made him more interesting for the audience?

I wish the Trek writers had had him go into Starfleet, as well. Episodes like "...Nor the Battle to the Strong" could have still worked with him in Starfleet. They could have written him as a green officer, who's opposed to war. He could have even gone in with the express purpose of doing his duty as a person opposed to conflict, like a medic or even as a Starfleet reporter. Having him as a Starfleet officer would have also made his access to areas, like the bridges of starships, make more sense.

Give a pacifist command of troops or sensitive parts of a ship or station? How would that work out? Having him as a civilian imbeded reporter works fine, but having him serve in his father's unit wouldn't have been allowed.