Sign in to follow this  
xenexian

Starfleet coverup?

I first wrote this thought at the end of one of my posts as an afterthought but the more I think about it, the more I wonder if a coverup by starfleet wasn't performed. Here's some of my reasoning. We now know that the actual first contact with the Borg took place in the 22nd century. By what we knew previously, Q forced the first meeting in deep space between humankind and the Borg in the 24th century. Did the Borg receive the sub-space signal sent 200 years prior? Possibly but we'll leave that for another time. Up to that time, there was never any mention by starfleet of the possible existance of a race of very hostile cybernetic organisms. In the Early part of the 24th century, the Hansons, with possibly starfleet's blessing, begin a series of covert explorations in response to the rumor of the existance of the Borg and possibly in an attempt to determine whether or not this is the same species that was uncovered in the Arctic circle. If you take into consideration any official reports filed by Archer about the tenacity and hostility of aforementioned species, it would seem to make sense that Starfleet did not want any mention of this anywhere for fear of alarming the entire alpha quadrant and most importantly, the rank and file of starfleet itself. Seeing as we know the existance of section 31 all the way back to the beginings of starfleet itself, it would also make sense that this undertaking of secrecy would also fall under section 31's umbrella. It's possible that the Hansens were working for section 31 which would account for the fact that there is no official record of their mission that would be accessible by anyone in starfleet or the earth government. I'm sure that only specific, high ranking individuals in starfleet, and this would be an extremely small number, would have any knowledge of this covert mission. When the Hansens disappeared, and since they seemed to have the most knowledge about the Borg when they disappeared, all that information was lost. Since any organization doesn't like to admit or list their failures, it's possible that the entire operation was deemed top secret classified with almost no one outside of section 31 knowing anything about it. Until Picard made his report after "Q who", the whole Arctic encounter was forgotten or in this case purposely lost for security's sake. To my thinking, and maybe I'm just being paranoid, this smell like a coverup. Now granted I haven't had too much opportunity today to present more concrete circumstances but it bears pointing out that something of this magnitude would immediately be brought under control and protected at all costs.. Am I being too paranoid? Help and other thoughts are welcome. I have to go back to work now and attempt to be productive.

I have to agree with everything you said,it makes alot of sense. I've often wondered how the Hanson's knew of the Borg long before Picard first met them and this seems to answer those questions.

Hmm, although I am not a TNG fanatic, I think about a new thing about a 'starfleet coverup'. I really think that by Voyager being in the Delta Quadrant really stired up some tensions in the Borg Queen do this past knowledge of 'Regeneration,' therefore the reasons of her silence non lethal attacks on the tiny vessle in space. She wanted to ponder about how this new phase of action. Will it give her an edge on the Borg Perfection, or a crippling blow. Then I thought to myself that they might not have a connection with the 24th century - 22nd century occurances, and this just might be a diabolical attempt to raise the ratings of the startrek minds. Of course everything in Star Trek is related closly with time, but we also have to remember that the directors are working their hardest to have high ratings, with the legendary Gene Roddenberry died loss of direction seemed to sweep through the entire enterprise (the empire not the ship).

:dude: :o :laugh: :o :o :o :o :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I definitely think the Borg got the subspace message. Remember the outposts that had been destroyed in TNG's The Neutral Zone. No one knew what had destroyed them at first but it was later indicated that it had been the Borg. They didn't get to Earth that time but they might have sent some sort of scouting party to Alpha Quadrant to see what type of defence would be put up.

I agree that the Borg probably received the message. I do not know if it was a coverup within Starfleet or if the information was simply lost over time.

I think it was filed and ignored as time went on and more pressing things were given priority.

As strange as that incident must have been to Starfleet, some analyst might have reasoned that it was just some elaborate escape from Earth, and since they were heading out of the alpha quadrant anyway, what kind of threat could they be. Some other review committee probably agreed with the assessment, and the file was made inactive. How could they possibly imagined such a relentless foe from that encounter?