Sign in to follow this  
WEAREBORG4102

Borg and knowledge; captains

In the episode "the Omega Directive", Janeway said that borg would know everything that captains know because they have been assimilated. If that were so, wouldn't they know about prefix codes? They could have taken over one ship and could look up every prefix number and transmit them resulting in the assimilation of 39 ships at Wolf 359. I wonder why they didn't do that.

BTW it's in the dialogue between Seven and the captain talking about Seven's knowledge about the classified particle.

This is just a theory, but while the Borg knew "everything" about the Starfleet captains, Captain Picard - and possibly Data - knew "everything"

about the Borg (the former having been assimilated and Data having "interfaced" with the Borg. In this sense, Picard would have anticipated this attempt, and taken measures to prevent it. Likewise, the Borg would have had similar insights into Picard's thought process.

Just a theory.

Isn't that how Locutus destroyed the Saratoga? I thought he disabled the shields that way, locked on a tractor beam, and shot right at a vulnerable point. I'm sure Starfleet anticipated this and changed the prefix codes, since they can be changed (established in Star Trek II).

But still, couldn't the Borg intercept transmissions and decode them with Picard's command codes?

Why didn't the Borg use the knowledge that Picard had of Starfleet weapons (displayed in FC) to their advantage? Why didn't the Borg interface with Picard in FC like the Borg queen did with Seven of nine?

Command codes, like prefix codes or any other kind of pass code, can be reset. I would be surprised if the codes aren't automatically reset every couple months or so.

Of course when The Wrath of Kahn was being filmed that was before the mainstream computer age and we didn't know about such things.

IMHO The captians do not know the prefix codes in both star trek 2 and when picard was trying to get that federation ship out of cardasin(sp) space they had to look it up. So even if the borg had picards knowelge they would not have the codes anyway and picards own comand codes would have been changed as soon as he was captured so he could not have used them either.

But Picard was the only person the Borg assimilated with any real influence in Starfleet, and after he was severed from the Collective, wouldn't he know that his thoughts had been taken, and all that? He would probably have then changed the codes and stuff like that.

Just a theory, though. :(

Its logical to assume they changed all the codes after the Borg encounter.

Heck i'm sure its standard procedure to change codes every "certain time"

:naughty:

Each captain only knows the code for their own ship and besides the codes are changed all the time so the stolen codes would be useless.

I prefer to think, no matter how unrealistic it can be, that the Borg are just too slow in identifying any advantage they have against the Feds. I don't think they can even run. I have never seen a Borg run.

They can run! Have you not seen "Descent"? There are some renegade Borg there, and they do run.

By the way, I believe the reason to why the members of the Borg Collective never run, is because it's just a waste of energy. After all, since every Borg can see what every other Borg sees, they can wear down whoever they're chasing, and maybe lure them to run straight into a trap.

So you see, the Borg knows of much more efficient ways to catch someone then by running after them. And you know, the Borg is really efficent. :congrats:

" RUNNING IS IRRELEVANT. "

:lol:

Edited by 3 of 7

I agree with fredbroca - Picard would only have known the Enterprise's prefix code and I'm sure it is standard policy that if a Captain, or any personnel who know any codes of any sort, are captured then those codes must be immediately changed.

Each Captain only has the codes from there own ships and on occasion the codes of other ships like in "TWOK "if they have to disable it but if the Borg get the Captain of the ship the codes are changed anyway.

:lol: :congrats: :lol: :shocked:

Each Captain only has the codes from there own ships and on occasion the codes  of other ships like in "TWOK "

Kirk didn't know the prefix of the Reliant, he had to get it pulled up on the computer (Which took forever if i remember rightly....... they probably ran on windows back then)

But you still have to note that the Borg would know all the designs, weapons, and technologies of the time. That means they could have adapted to all technologies.

Well, one might think that after Kirk used that little manuver against the Reliant, he might have to pushed to have Star Fleet develop a blocking mechanism to prevent the prefix code being sent from another ship and essentially lock out any outside contact.

As with all other posts, just a theory.

But still, couldn't the Borg intercept transmissions and decode them with Picard's command codes?

Why didn't the Borg use the knowledge that Picard had of Starfleet weapons (displayed in FC) to their advantage? Why didn't the Borg interface with Picard in FC like the Borg queen did with Seven of nine?

248126[/snapback]

well, to answer the main post's question first.

1. The Borg did use Picard's knowledge. That's why they defeated the 39 ships swiftly.

in ST:FC, all codes & stuff have been altered, so Locutus's knowledge are old news here.

Without that knowledge, even a Cube can be taken out by normal ships in lesser amount.

But ST:FC's Cube has the 2nd best leader leading the charge. The Queen. She is an individual, unlike the average Drones she can anticipate what the enemy is planning, hence it'll require at least 50 Federation ships to destroy a Cube controled by a Queen.

with a liaison like Locutus, its close to impossible to destroy that Cube. Because not only he can anticipate how his own people thinks, he also got codes to help him. Not to mentioned, primitive fear about facing their own people.

:naughty:

2. as to why not link with Picard like 7 of 9.

Its because Picard is not "sleeping" in his alcove.

:laugh:

the Queen can only contact them properly if they were regenerating.

IMO,

in "Dark Frontier" 7 of 9 still believe in the Borg. Hence the Queen was able to contact her even without the alcove. During her momentary laps in concentration thanks to her father's logs.

but after that, there's no way the Queen can contact her at anytime & any place.

As shown in "Endgame" she can still contact her when she's in her alcove.

:hug:

In the two-part "Gambitt" episodes, it was established that an officer's command codes were immediately locked out to prevent any chance of them being used.

In the episode where Data was summoned to his father, he changed Picard's command code.

So, any numbers the Borg might know are completely useless, be it because the ship they are for was destroyed or captured with the assimilation of the officers, or because the codes will have been changed immediately.

In the episode "the Omega Directive", Janeway said that borg would know everything that captains know because they have been assimilated. If that were so, wouldn't they know about prefix codes? They could have taken over one ship and could look up every prefix number and transmit them resulting in the assimilation of 39 ships at Wolf 359. I wonder why they didn't do that.

BTW it's in the dialogue between Seven and the captain talking about Seven's knowledge about the classified particle.

reanswering. :dude:

Who says they didn't?

As seen in DS9 "Emissary"

the fleet have problems even with the new upgrades.

And someone said that the new shields aren't working

The Cube defeated them swiftly. Unlike what happens in ST:FC which have more problem.

but than again remember, the only time the captain is assimilated is when the ship is gone. A captain from 1 ship, don't know the codes to another ship.

At best, they can only provide knowledge of their type of defenses.

Edited by vold

That's because they got Picard only at the time, he does not know the codes of other ships. Every ship have their own codes for their captains.

But they do have his basic knowledge of Starfleet tactics & knowledge. Hence it simplify their engagement at Wolf 359.

Problems Picard understands are resolved faster & known tactics are countered.

See the Cube in ST:FC, who doesn't have an up to date captain assimilated, all latest knowledge are not available and it took them hours to handle 2 fleets engaging it separately.

i just found out in a non cannon version of the TMP era, Kirk was actually the one that originally briefed starfleet about the omega directive...