Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

T'Pol Season four devlopment

Here's from scifi wire - just excerpts - go here for entire article. scifiwire

......(Blalock herself became engaged over the show's summer hiatus.)

.... "I think it's absolutely ridiculous that some catfish-eating honky-tonk guy would be appealing to this serene character, personally, but, you know, maybe there's something in the difference. ...

.... ... I find it odd that you have this very respected officer who is a strong female, who is trustworthy and reliable and loyal, and it seems like last season that it was kind of torn down to this emotional, wacky chick who needs to get laid. And does. It's very bizarre. It was very hard for me. But I think that this year, [new co-executive producer] Manny Coto, who's been writing, ... he's been doing some nice writing, and the last two episodes of this fourth season have been a pleasure to unfold." Star Trek: Enterprise returns in the fall in a new 8 p.m. ET/PT Friday timeslot.

Blalock got engaged. I thought she got married during last year's hiatus?

Okay her description of Trip is downright insulting...sounds like Blalock is as arrogant as the character she portrays.

Although I will give her credit for seeing how the relationship does not work and I find it interesting that she's no more impressed with T'Pol's development than I am.

I am glad to see that she realized it was inconsistent with what she had portrayed before.

UnicornHunter, I realize it's reads pretty insulting on paper, but I have seen Jolene interviews wherein she said bascially the same thing about Trip but she was joking and giggling. The cast has been known to insult each other like that. Dominic got some flak at the Tulsa con my friend attended (I remember because she was MAD at him) because he was laughing about the cast calling Linda a "little Korean boy with no boobs" with that sexy boy haircut of hers. A lot of people got on to him but he was joking--apparently he was very taken aback that they got angry. Jolene's words read bad in print, but it's not as bad as it sounds. If anything she has a more inflated opinion of her character than is deserved. No matter at the end of the day. I remember reading an interview with her in Sci-fi wire last year at this time saying flat out that a romance between her character and Captain Archer is something the writers shouldn't do as it wouldn't be best for anyone or anyting. Jolene's definitely not a "shipper." <_< It's not just Trip. It's all the characters. It's nothing to get upset about.

Jolene isn't a very PC interview. More often than not she comes across as the giggly, ditzy type. I tend not to take her very seriously no matter what she's saying. The girl didn't have enough smarts to object to "Bounty," did she? I was taken aback at firt, but then I thought.....this is Jolene. Her first appearance on Kilborn was pretty infamous in that regard. I thought the girl had been smoking a little weed in the green room because she giggled nonstop and laid across Craig's desk. A silly woman.

My point is that I wouldn't sweat it much. She and Connor do like each other a great deal. Jolene just wants better writing to bring the romance about, for it not to come out of the blue. She didn't care for the drug addiction storyline but it's worth pointing out she didn't start huffing and puffing like a diva and refuse to come to work. She did a wail of a job with a storyline she didn't like. She's quoted as saying she's majorly happy with the way Manny is writing scripts for season four....and I know for a fact that Trip and T'Pol's interest in one another is continuing because I'm on the spoiler list. These stories she likes, which means to me that they're probably building the character's strength back up. So now she's copacetic with the romance I guess. At the end of the day if she does her job, does it matter? I don't give a turkey whether she liked the drug addiction or not. I did. My opinion matters most to me. Trinneer is also quoted (the next day no less) as saying he'd like their relationship to evolve or drop it. He says he enjoys the dynamic but didn't like at all that the characters were allowed to have sex and not deal with it, that it was "the gorilla in the room." That for them to get laid so soon without dealing with it didn't ring true to him. Is he a bad guy for saying that? Not at all. He just wants it handled in a realistic manner or don't make the effort. All reports are that the cast is happy with Manny's overall plan.

So everything's cool. I'm a Trip/T'Pol fan and I'm happy. Don't let Jolene's poor choice of words get you down.

Jolene is absolutely right. Of course we all know that Trip is far more than a catfish eating honky - but that is probably the way a truly played T'Pol would view him - there is nothing in common. I am sure she recognised they were taking her character down a road it didn't belong and a great deal of remedial work is going to be needed to get her back any believability as a Vulcan. I hope the issues are addressed.

My admiration for Jolene has risen because of her comments not only because they show she does understand the character but because she actually has come out and said it. The whole Trip ' T'Pol thing was less than pathetic and introduced for reasons I am sure we all are painfully aware of - it is a shame that the show had to suffer for it.

She has become one of my favorite Vulcans, she reminds me alot of Spock. You can't fault Jolene for what the writers give her and she has done a great job with the stories they've had. I hope the Trip/T'Pol thing continues, I love the way their characters have grown over the past 3 years.

I hope the Trip/T'Pol thing continues,

It does.....with a few curveballs here and there. Like I said, if Jolene does her job she can say what she wants. People continuing to push for improved writing isn't a bad thing. I find it mighty odd that she doesn't appreciate the opposites attract dynamic (you remember Spock's human mommy, Jolene?) but at the end of the day, who gives a turkey if she does or doesn't if she puts in her best effort? Jolene would prefer no romance for her character. It isn't just Trip, UH. It's with Archer, too. She seems happier with Manny's scripts. I'll deal. I just can't wait to see how "Home" is resolved considering the fact that....

Click for Spoiler:

Koss, her former intended whom 'outside influences' are trying to force her to marry, is reported to have at least one more appearance. Will Manny shake up the status quo by having her marry Koss out of obligation because the Vulcan ministry is harassing her mother? Word on the spoiler list is he might. The spoiler fairies insist that she does marry someone. Trip might be a tad bitter after that, no? Maybe Koss buys it in the upcoming Vulcan civil conflict. Who knows? The fact that "Romulan influences" have infiltrated may make this Koss thing a bigger story than it appears at first. Jolene does seem pretty happy with it so far. Some of the Trip/T'Polers in my group are aghast at the thought that she might marry someone else but frankly, as long as it's not Archer (thus pitting the two friends in some awful triangle) I think it could make for a fascinating story. In the script Trip finds out what T'Pol and T'Las will be subjected to if she marries a human and doesn't toe the line. Could be a vehicle for him to come to appreciate her sense of duty and responsibilty in a way he has never done before. Just because she gets married to someone she doesn't want doesn't mean her and Trip's feelings will shut off automatically. Edited by MoulinRouge

I hope that Coto will move away from the bed room and more to the bridge. None of that "I'm going to get laid" stuff. Some of us wanted to watch Trek. Sometimes my mom makes me turn the t.v. off if she sees such scenes. It's bad for me and the show. Hopefully it's gone and the relationship will be resolved.

I hope that Coto will move away from the bed room and more to the bridge. None of that "I'm going to get laid" stuff. Some of us wanted to watch Trek. Sometimes my mom makes me turn the t.v. off if she sees such scenes. It's bad for me and the show. Hopefully it's gone and the relationship will be resolved.

Stargate. stargate. stargate.

I recommend giving Stargate a shot, I have watched the premiere of Atlantis half a dozen times, and SG1 just keeps getting better.

I find it mighty odd that she doesn't appreciate the opposites attract dynamic
Because she's a scientist and she knows that only applies to magnets and old wives tales.

Seriously, and this is my issue with the whole Trip/T'Pol thing, couples are happier and relationships more successful when they are alike in the things that matter to them. Trip and T'Pol are not - (Trip is emotional even for a human - T'Pol values not being emotional) one of them will have to change who they are and IMO no relationship is worth that. Sad how many people think it is.

Actually, some of my friends who also watch Stargate say its really showing its age this season and gettting deathly repetitive. I saw the Atlantis premiere. I didn't care for it at all. I am surprised that Sci-fi replaced Farscape with it. I finally saw some Farscape DVD's in the proper order, and though it's a little too weird for my tastes sometimes at least I can see where people are coming from on it.

Season four is going to be anything but a showcase for Trip and T'Pol to the exclusion of everything else. However, when did relationships become such a dirty word? They're part of the human condition, too. Especially when its the first interspecies relationship of its time period. Very topical for Trek I would think. But as I said, that's hardly the only game in town.

Click for Spoiler:

Vulcan civil war with Romulan infiltration in the spring, anyone? Brent Spiner as the great grandfather of Dr. Soong who is willing to exploit Earth's remaining fear about the issues of the eugenics wars, anyone?

Stargate. stargate. stargate.

I recommend giving Stargate a shot, I have watched the premiere of Atlantis half a dozen times, and SG1 just keeps getting better.

I find it mighty odd that she doesn't appreciate the opposites attract dynamic
Because she's a scientist and she knows that only applies to magnets and old wives tales.

Seriously, and this is my issue with the whole Trip/T'Pol thing, couples are happier and relationships more successful when they are alike in the things that matter to them. Trip and T'Pol are not - (Trip is emotional even for a human - T'Pol values not being emotional) one of them will have to change who they are and IMO no relationship is worth that. Sad how many people think it is.

I do watch stargate. But it's syndicated.... I don't have cable or sattelite. Don't try asking them they're not getting it until me and my brother move out.

To say that T'Pol and Trip are opposites is oversimplifying things. It's true that Trip is emotional, but as T'Pol has obviously been exploring her emotions since the program began (the mind meld, Trellium, being with Trip) and even before (the trip to the jazz club, which was done through a flashback), it's not entirely surprising that she was attracted to the most emotional character. While I don't think it's likely to work out, it's not impossible.

Oh, and by the way, since when did most people think all that rationally when it came to romance? And why does a relationship have to have a high chance of succeeding to begin?

Edited by Red Shirt Volunteer

Actually, some of my friends who also watch Stargate say its really showing its age this season and gettting deathly repetitive.  I saw the Atlantis premiere.  I didn't care for it at all.    I am surprised that Sci-fi replaced Farscape with it.  I finally saw some Farscape DVD's in the proper order, and though it's a little too weird for my tastes sometimes at least I can see where people are coming from on it.

If I were WAB's mom I'd rather he watch Stargate than Enterprise - which is who the comment was directed to. I'm not surprised you don't like Stargate - but I do and one of the things I like is development of the relationships between the main characters.

No one said "relationships" are bad - but that discussion is getting old.

So you like Trip/T'Pol - apparently you're getting what you want - so be happy.

Saying that "opposites attract" is a real life phenomenon bugs me; but this is getting way off topic so I'll stop

This is getting off topic too but

Oh, and by the way, since when did most people think all that rationally when it came to romance? And why does a relationship have to have a high chance of succeeding to begin?
They don't have to but the first time I talked to someone who told me they knew when they got married it wasn't going to work I was surprised - why would you get married if you knew it wouldn't work. Apparently, a lot of people do;--I need to start a thread on this.

Let's let people get back to what they want for T'Pol here.

Edited by TheUnicornHunter

I do watch stargate. But it's syndicated.... I don't have cable or sattelite. Don't try asking them they're not getting it until me and my brother move out.

Smart, loving parents, WAB! You and your brother will be fine.

TUH, what is with you? I never said you were "wrong" for liking what you like or disliking what you dislike. Our opinions differ. That's all. I'm sensing hostility.

Edited by MoulinRouge

TUH, why does it have to be a relationship that can "work" and what the heck does "work" mean anyway? It's not as if people have to get married and live happily ever after at the end of every relationship. For me, the relationship only has to provide interesting material for the show, and I think it does that - their conflicting personalities have resulted in some of the more interesting exchanges on Ent. In all honesty, it sounds like you just want everyone to live up to your expectation of a relationship rather than to see T'Pol develop. It sounds to me like you want validation of your own beliefs more than character development.

I like Stargate alot, I personally think Enterprise is a bit better but thats my opinion, it is better than Stargate:Atlantis which so far is ok, but i hope it gets better. Its no where near the good show Enterprise or Stargate is.

Edited by Klingonmike

TUH, what is with you? I never said you were "wrong" for liking what you like or disliking what you dislike.  Our opinions differ.  That's all.  I'm sensing hostility.

She really hates T'Pol doesn't she! Oh well thats her right I guess. :bow:

Originally, I spent some time responding the various comments but it isn't worth it. I indicated in my last post it was time to let it drop and get back to the topic of T'Pol.

Edited by TheUnicornHunter

Originally, I spent some time responding the various comments but it isn't worth it.  I indicated in my last post it was time to let it drop and get back to the topic of T'Pol.

Why don't you try talking about what you like or want for T'Pol rather than making personal attacks against me?

I already did say what I liked/wanted to see out of the relationship. I said that being with Trip is an interesting scenario because it allows T'Pol to experience the human condition because he is often quite emotional. It provides an interesting contrast between the two worlds and brings out responses that we might not otherwise see - T'Pol's wry comments and Trip's bullheadedness. It also serves as a microcosm for the tense relationship/alliance between humans and Vulcans as species and gives us more insights as to why they can't get along on a larger scale. So you see, the relationship doesn't have to be ideal, it just has to move forward in one way or another, whether it be a happy ending or a waste of time.

I wanted to discuss this, but unfortunately you decided to continue to rant on about can or can't be in a relationship and have taken a somewhat condescending attitude towards those who disagree with you by saying that the notion that opposites attract is imaginary. That may be true for you, but it doesn't make it so for all of us. You wrote, and edited, that you think this concept is just an "old wive's tale," which is a rather condescending tone carried through some of the other posts so I'm not sure why you're surprised to hear us voice disagreement with your opinion about the relationship.

Edited by Red Shirt Volunteer

RSV, no one is stopping you from discussing whatever you wish to discuss. So discuss away. No one forced you to respond to me and I do wonder why you still insist on "calling me out" when I was trying to end the discussion.

As for "opposites attract" - first, scientific studies on relationships have shown that is not true. Second, it is a topic that should be discussed in a different thread and I tried to get this thread back on topic.

As for attitudes carried over different threads - I've been aware of yours lately as well.

RSV, no one is stopping you from discussing whatever you wish to discuss.  So discuss away.  No one forced you to respond to me and I do wonder why you still insist on "calling me out" when I was trying to end the discussion. 

As for "opposites attract" - first, scientific studies on relationships have shown that is not true. Second, it is a topic that should be discussed in a different thread and I tried to get this thread back on topic.

As for attitudes carried over different threads - I've been aware of yours lately as well.

Lately? :bow: I haven't really posted much of anything for 2 weeks since I've been out of the country and I wasn't posting much before that. Let's just move on already.

I've posted a few thoughts on why I think the relationship between them is interesting and why the opposites attract idea is an interesting dynamic for the show. Whether you like the situation or not, do you not agree that it's at least interesting to watch their exchanges?

Whether you like the situation or not, do you not agree that it's at least interesting to watch their exchanges?

I think the spark between Trip and T'Pol was obvious from the beginning and they've had some great exchanges since season one. Personally, I think their conflicting ideologies could have been played better without the romantic interlude.

I think it is unfortunate there have been practically no scenes with Archer, Trip and T'Pol. I think part of the reason is that TPTB were too concerned with which one she would hook up with. There were some great opportunities for Archer to turn to his two senior officers for advice this last season and they would have had different opinions. One case was the decision to steal the warp core from the aliens. Those discussions were the hallmark of TOS - ultimately Kirk decided but his officers put the moral delimma on the table. In ENT - Archer decided - the audience was left infer a moral delimma or accept Archer's opinion there was none.

TV history has shown that great sparring partners often make boring lovers - Moonlighting, Northern Exposure. I don't know why, maybe it goes back to what Spock said about the having not being the same as the wanting.

I also think they made T'Pol unnecessarily weak at times in order to explain the relationship. It will take some skillful writing to rehabilitate this plotline IMO.

I indicated in my last post it was time to let it drop and get back to the topic of T'Pol.

I couldn't agree more.

I think the spark between Trip and T'Pol was obvious from the beginning and they've had some great exchanges since season one. Personally, I think their conflicting ideologies could have been played better without the romantic interlude.

There was certainly a lot more tension in the beginning. They established that early when T'Pol took command once and Trip voiced his concern that she was trying to undermine the mission, but this relationship hasn't been maintained due to the changing nature of their relationship. I think they've lost something here, but gained by adding a little comedy to the show through their occasional bickering. I thought this was a good thing for season 3 as the Xindi plot needed a distraction at times. Although I liked it for the most part, it started to drag for me at a few points and I wanted another story to keep things moving along.

I indicated in my last post it was time to let it drop and get back to the topic of T'Pol.

I couldn't agree more.

I also agree.

Sorry to say, all I can see of season four is that Super Archer continues apace and Trip is reduced even more to the background for T'Pol.

I have come to loathe both this show's leads. Archer and T'Pol are both honour, honesty and integrity-free users. We are watching series one here in the UK and the show was much, much better when the main relationship was the friendship between Archer and Trip. Once T'Pol took over the show dipped. How many Carpenter Streets do we need to see before TPTB finally get a clue that Archer and T'Pol on screen are as dull as ditchwater?

As for Blalock's insult about the 'catfish eating honky-tonk', it's about what I expect from this dumb, pedestrian actress. If she sees T'Pol as a 'serene' person she's out of her tree. T'Pol is the one who ran across the acid-soaked runway in the seventh to get radiation poisoning in an hysterical fit. She is the one who ran around sweaty in her undies, desperate to get laid in Bounty. She is the one who went in for a mind-meld of her own free will in Fusion then claimed she was forced in Stigma.

She took drugs, willfully, despite knowing that the lives of the people on Enterprise, (and through them the lives of the people on Earth), depended on her. Even knowing she had become addicted she chose to take the acting-captaincy. Her subsequent irrational and incompetent behaviour contrubuted highly to the deaths of at least 18 crew.

If there were any developments I'd like to see for T'Pol in series four they would be to see her court-martialled and kicked off the ship for good.

Then perhaps we could get the Trip/Archer friendship back that made Enterprise a pleasure to watch. Perhaps we could get Reed, Phlox, Hoshi and Mayweather allowed to display their skills as officers.

But instead we continue with the Super-Archer and T'Pol show. Yawn.