Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

At What Point - Does Your Neighbor's Business

At what point - if ever - does what your neighbor does on his property become your business?

1. His lawn is a junk yard.

2. He keeps pigs in the back yard

3. He plays very loud music

4. He does pistol practice in his back yard

5. He doesn't maintain his back yard creating a fire hazard

6. He dumps chemicals in his back yard that will leach into the groundwater (and your well)

7. He has 75 cats living on his property.

8. He keeps an incredibly dangerous dog on his property

9. He doesn't confine that incredibly dangerous dog

10. He doesn't maintain his back yard creating a fire hazard

Do any of these situations warrant your intrusion on his right to do whatever he wants on his own property? Why/Why not?

Edited by TheUnicornHunter

3. He plays very loud music

My neighbors are a local heavy metal band and they play very loud. Normally I don't mind, I like their music, but since I have little kids the playing late at night was becoming a problem. I went over there at about midnight once and explained that they were keeping my kids up. They were super cool and apologized, asked what time the kids went to bed and promised to never play past that hour. That was months ago and they never have. That's the only problem I've ever had. I have great neighbors.

I Live in an apartment building. I have one neighbor under me and one beside me who drive me absolutely nuts with their loud music. I don't mind if it's during the day or even early in the evening. But when people are trying to sleep and they are over there or down there with the Head-Banging Music, I go friggin out of my mind!! I get so mad, I go banging on their doors and tell them it's disturbing people and they tell me to go F*** myself and slam the door in my face. Why are people so inconsiderate of others??? I mean you can listen to your music at a normal level, why try to shake the building down?? Then they just turn it up louder. :hug:

UH, I believe there are laws about disturbing your neighbors. But I don't know where they are. I believe dumping chemicals is against the law. Shooting a gun, hmm, that doesn't sound too smart. Pig, well, they're PIGS, what can I say? 75 cats? Sounds like the Health Department should investigate that one. Dangerous dog, could kill someone someday. Because we are supposed to be living in a civilized manner. Not bothering everyone around us, being inconsiderate and objectionable to those around you. I'd have some problems with that guy too. :hug::hug:

Edited by Jeanway

I don't have any of those problems. My dad, on the other hand, has neighbors who don't watch their five year old kids, which pisses him off. twice a week or so the neighbors come over asking him if he's seen their kids.

I have no problems with my neighbors in the small Japanese town that I live in. The neighborhood that I live in is very quite. So quite I am afraid that I might be to load. They might be too polite to say anything about it.

2.  He keeps pigs in the back yard

My neighbors dont keep pigs in there yard but they do feed the wild life and then said life moves into the part of the lot of my yard that has nothing on it! Plus its against the law to feed the life!

As you've probably heard by now we recently obtained a vehicle. My beef with the neighbors stems from their inability to understand the logic of not parking their cars in such a way that wastes parking area, they consistently each park one car in 5 spaces meant (size wise) to hold 10 cars.

All they have to do is pull forward 4 feet and another car could fit behind them but noooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Get home late and we're forced to park a street away while if only they would park considerately there would be room for 4 more cars to move in on our block.

I have a case number with the city parking division to come acess the situation. Hopefully they'll agree with me and paint lines dividing the 5 disputed areas into two spaces then begin enforcement...

It really just comes down to if something will affect my property in a negative way

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

I am in a fairly decent neighborhood. But there has been a problem with dogs running at large. Our city has an ordinance that requires dog owners to keep them on a leash when outdoors. I am reluctant to call animal control, but I am not apt to go talk to the neighbor when I am already ticked off about their dog dropping a doodoo in the yard. Once, I caught it in the act, so I bolted out the door and attempted to bean it with a tennis ball, but missed. Maybe the sight of a half-naked man with a grizzled face and tousled hair frightened it! LOL!! :laugh:

Well, here's an UPDATE. The guy who slammed the door in my face and told me to go**** off, started up again today with his loud, rap music. This would have been my third visit to him but I decided I had enough. I called the cops on him this time. They came and went to his door. The guy had like 20 locks on the inside which made them very suspicious of this guy. They asked him why so many locks. Then they noticed he was wrapped in a towel and there was a little kid in the apartment also, not wearing anything. They took down this guy's name and D.O.B. and asked him alot of questions, and NOT about the loud music either. This guy is hiding something. i try to stay out of peoples's business but when they interfere with my peace and quiet continuously, enough is enough.

I Live In A Apartment Building With Assinged Parking Spaces. Some one is always parking in mine because it is close to the main door GRRR.

Well, here's an UPDATE. The guy who slammed the door in my face and told me to go**** off, started up again today with his loud, rap music. This would have been my third visit to him but I decided I had enough. I called the cops on him this time. They came and went to  his door. The guy had like 20 locks on the inside which made them very suspicious of this guy. They asked him why so many locks. Then they noticed he was wrapped in a towel and there was a little kid in the apartment also, not wearing anything. They took down this guy's name and D.O.B. and asked him alot of questions, and NOT about the loud music either. This guy is hiding something. i try to stay out of peoples's business but when they interfere with my peace and quiet continuously, enough is enough.

:laugh: Wow, Jean! Sounds like you have a real fruitcake for a neighbor. And I really feel sad for kids such as that. Hopefully, things work out okay for you, and this "head banger" gets his act together. :laugh:

Our little neighborhood is fairly decent, quiet, and the only problem is that the kids occassionally walk in the street but being we don't have side walks and everyones laid back thats no really a problem. I don't mine the gentlemen sitting porch across yonder ways playing checkers or strumming a guitar either.