Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Elevator To The Stars

My hubby was telling me about this a few months ago and I told him he was full of it. :(

But really, it's not practical and even if it were possible, there's no way in heck you'd get me up in that thing! I'd feel much safer in a ship!

An intersting idea, but to be able to get enough material to cover the distance to the atmosphere would probably be enough to make several of the new shuttle craft they are designing. And Kyra is right, it isn't practical. Most objects in space orbit somthing, why should we be stuck to one point? The stresses on the equipment would be tremendous.

I think the practical application is getting people up past gravity and atmospher. One of the most fuel intensive aspects of space flight is escaping gravity. The point of the elevator is to get people up cheaper and then once there they can shuttle to orbiting hotels etc.

I think the practical application is getting people up past gravity and atmospher.  One of the most fuel intensive aspects of space flight is escaping gravity.  The point of the elevator is to get people up cheaper and then once there they can shuttle to orbiting hotels etc.

However, there is such a massive distance up that the forces of winds, pressure changes and the rotation of the earth would make it increadibly difficult to ensure saftey. And what would happen if a crucial part were to break halfway up? I'm not sure how strong the gravity that high up is, but that could be very dangerous to anyone below... unless it burned up in the atmosphere.

Intregining. I would have to agree with everyone especially Trekkiemage. This could be something usefull, if built in stages. but if something were to beak, equipment and people would be burned up on reentry or be bounced off by gravity. I'll stay on the ground than you and admire the stars from Terra Firma.

Not unless I get a chance to go in a shuttle. :lol: