Sign in to follow this  
nemesis59

About Data

Hi, I'm new here Data wasn't supposed to die in Nemesis because remember in the TNG episode called All the good things,it took place in the future way after Nemesis Data was alive.weird? (I posted this on The Enterprise Board,sorry)

That was a Q contrived future and not of "our real" timeline, but ah that is were true.

Welcome to the board, Nemesis56

That was a Q contrived future and not of "our real" timeline, but ah that is were true.

:laugh: Oh, how I wish the future in All Good things were real...Damn Nemesis(the movie)! :blink:

Welcome to the boards nemesis59!!!

That is one way to go about it...but then you would have to ignore all of the TNG movies and I can't quite do that, since I liked them all...it is just the ending of Nemesis that I (and my sisters) hated.

Ya know... Everyone sees NEMESIS as a "bad way to end TNG" becuase Data died. I disagree. For me, the movie ended TNG, not with Data's death, but in this way...

1. Riker & Troi finally got married!

2. Riker accepts promotion to Captain. (Guess he had to wait till he snatched up Troi! Now we know why he waited so long! :laugh: )

3. Worf finally returns to the Enterprise as a crew member. His role was minimized which annoyed me, but not too much since he had a LOT to do in the 2 previous movies.

4. We finally get to see one of the Soogn-type android prototypes in the form of B4, something I've wanted to see since the show's 6th season.

5. Data never liked that he would out live his friends. In a way, his death allowed him, in a final act, to achieve one final feature of humanity - mortallity.

6. Data's not quite dead. His memories live on through B4, thus part of Data lives on. If there's a sequal, I suspect that more than memories were transferred unkowningly... perhaps his entire program some how?

7. Romulans are finally willing to negotiate peace.

As you can see, many things in this movie made me feel like TNG came to a close. While I'd love to see one more movie, I'm also ready for DS9, VOY, or a mixed cast of Trek characters from varrious people. For me, Data's death was a horrific thing, but death is a part of life, and I think this movie portrayed that well. However, my sadness dissipated when B4 started singing "Blue Skies" letting us know that Data's memory lives on. This is Star Trek and Data was a complex program in an android body. Programs can be downloaded. Ya never know just what might happen in Trek!

Yeah, it really was sad when Data died.. A terrible way to end TNG..  :(

I agree 200% You dont' END a series with someone dying!! And I, for one, do NOT want B4 to become Data because a) it will contradict everything they learned in that movie, b) it will cheapen his death. C) it makes them SEEM like robots, and they can just download they;re life into a back-up file, and d) Data should be either dead or not dead, not some whishy-washy half-half wimpy don't-want=to-make-commitments whats-going-on-now sort of way!!!

Yeah, it really was sad when Data died.. A terrible way to end TNG..  :(

I agree 200% You dont' END a series with someone dying!! And I, for one, do NOT want B4 to become Data because a) it will contradict everything they learned in that movie, B) it will cheapen his death. C) it makes them SEEM like robots, and they can just download they;re life into a back-up file, and d) Data should be either dead or not dead, not some whishy-washy half-half wimpy don't-want=to-make-commitments whats-going-on-now sort of way!!!

I agree with you dsbs!

I agree 200% You dont' END a series with someone dying!! And I, for one,  do NOT want B4 to become Data because a) it will contradict everything they learned in that movie, B) it will cheapen his death. C) it makes them SEEM like robots, and they can just download they;re life into a back-up file, and d) Data should be either dead or not dead, not some whishy-washy half-half wimpy don't-want=to-make-commitments whats-going-on-now sort of way!!!

I think that if Data were to return, it would be something like his entire program unkowningly downloaded into B4. This doesn't mean B4 would be Data, but almost as if it were signs that Data was there, but wasn't. Then, it'd be a race to retrieve Data before his program corrupts within B4's nueral net. We could then have Brent Spiner back for a final act, or we could have a new "body" for Data at the end of the movie, where he embarks on a personal journey or something. :(

I agree 200% You dont' END a series with someone dying!! And I, for one,  do NOT want B4 to become Data because a) it will contradict everything they learned in that movie, :( it will cheapen his death. C) it makes them SEEM like robots, and they can just download they;re life into a back-up file, and d) Data should be either dead or not dead, not some whishy-washy half-half wimpy don't-want=to-make-commitments whats-going-on-now sort of way!!!

I think that if Data were to return, it would be something like his entire program unkowningly downloaded into B4. This doesn't mean B4 would be Data, but almost as if it were signs that Data was there, but wasn't. Then, it'd be a race to retrieve Data before his program corrupts within B4's nueral net. We could then have Brent Spiner back for a final act, or we could have a new "body" for Data at the end of the movie, where he embarks on a personal journey or something. B)

That;s one of the things I thought they could do! B)

I've been a diehard ST and TNG fan for many many years, but I enjoyed Nemesis up until the very end. Sure Data's death was a heavy blow, but what ticks me off the most is the fact there was no remorse scene for Data. Especially from Geordi. That alone makes me think lowly of Nemesis. It's like Nemesis copied the basics of Wrath of Khan right up to the very end. Except instead of having a memorial service (like they did for Spock), they just acted like Data had never been there in the first place. When in fact had it not been for Data over the years, the TNG crew would have died in space a long time ago. I'd like to see a thread of every instance of how Data's abilities saved the TNG crew or Enterprise.

Personally, I would have preferred them make ST:X from the book "Dark Mirror" instead of "Nemesis". Those that have read that book should know what I mean. :laugh:

:cool:

Yeah, I thought it was a good read.

I won't spoil it, I'll simply say..

Everyone has an exact evil alter-ego of themselves, not just Picard or a clone.

:laugh:

Yeah, I thought it was a good read.

I won't spoil it, I'll simply say..

Everyone has an exact evil alter-ego of themselves, not just Picard or a clone.

:laugh:

Silly question I know, but Dark Mirror is a TNG novel? Darn I will have to check that one out then!

I've been a diehard ST and TNG fan for many many years, but I enjoyed Nemesis up until the very end. Sure Data's death was a heavy blow, but what ticks me off the most is the fact there was no remorse scene for Data. Especially from Geordi. That alone makes me think lowly of Nemesis. It's like Nemesis copied the basics of Wrath of Khan right up to the very end. Except instead of having a memorial service (like they did for Spock), they just acted like Data had never been there in the first place. When in fact had it not been for Data over the years, the TNG crew would have died in space a long time ago. I'd like to see a thread of every instance of how Data's abilities saved the TNG crew or Enterprise.

Personally, I would have preferred them make ST:X from the book "Dark Mirror" instead of "Nemesis". Those that have read that book should know what I mean. :laugh:

Yeah, I know. That was a lot of the problem...I didn't really like Spock's death scene that much, but it was a heck of a lot better than Data's!!

Yeah, I know. That was a lot of the problem...I didn't really like Spock's death scene that much, but it was a heck of a lot better than Data's!!

Except for Troi....it seemed like all of the bridge officers' emotion chips were off during that scene! He has been their friend for over 15 years, and this was all of the emotion they could muster for him?! :laugh: !

And Goerdi and to have known that when Data ordered him to come with him, that he wasn't coming back. Data knew...Geordi did too!

You're making me cry :) Come on people, join me and together we can bombard Paramount with demands for an 11th TNG movie!!

You're making me cry :) Come on people, join me and together we can bombard Paramount with demands for an 11th TNG movie!!

ok

bah, Data looked just fine in Nemesis as far as I'm concerned.

hehehe...oh right, the post...AGREED!!

bah, Data looked just fine in Nemesis as far as I'm concerned.

Exactly! He does have an aging program, and he does not look old!! Personally, I think that is a lot of Mr. Spiner's problem...people going on and on about how he is 54 years old and that he looks too old to portray Data(who, btw is 42)! I personally thought he was a hell of a lot younger than 54, and my mom even thought that he was at least a decade youger than she is(she is turning 48 this year)! And I didn't find out his age until an article in the TV guide when Generations came out.....I just couldn't believe that I was THAT far off in guessing his age(he looks great!!)

me too...when I first saw an ep from season 1, I thought he could be around 20 (of course, I was trying to justify liking someone "that much" older than me, but I didn't have a clue, and I figured he could be that young, and then 20+15 equals 35 so he wouldn't be that much older and I could relax. Alas, this was not so :) But let me tell you, he sure didn't look 38, and now he sure doesnt look 54!!)

Brent Spiner looks jsut fine, thank you very much! If you can believe that the two rammed ships can pull apart, surely you can suspend believe enough to see past the fact that Data looks older. :)

Brent Spiner looks jsut fine, thank you very much! If you can believe that the two rammed ships can pull apart, surely you can suspend believe enough to see past the fact that Data looks older.  :)

YES!! I agree with that point Lessa!!!