Sign in to follow this  
Sairnath

Jeri Ryan Trouble

8:40 a.m. EDT June 22, 2004 - Illinois Republican Senate candidate Jack Ryan pressured his wife, actress Jeri Lynn Ryan, to have sex in clubs while others watched, she charged in divorce documents released Monday.

The "Boston Public" and "Star Trek: Voyager" actress said she angered Ryan by refusing. She did acknowledge infidelity on her part, which she said took place after their marriage was irretrievably broken.

In the documents, Ryan denied the allegations, saying he had been "faithful and loyal" to his wife. At a press conference Monday night, he expressed disappointment with the precedent set by the court order to release the documents.

"Someone was paid a lot of money to break into a file that Mom and Dad wanted to have sealed to protect their son," he said. "And now we're asking about what happened between a husband and wife in the most intimate part of the relationship."

The documents include hundreds of court-ordered blank or redacted pages, but what's left includes plenty of graphic detail about a bitter divorce.

Jeri Lynn Ryan charged during a custody hearing that Jack Ryan took her on surprise trips to New Orleans, New York and Paris in 1998, and that he insisted she go to sex clubs with him on each trip. She said that after going out to dinner with Ryan in New York, he demanded that she go to a club with him.

"It was a bizarre club with cages, whips and other apparatus hanging from the ceiling," she said.

She said Ryan asked her to perform a sexual act while others watched, and she refused. She said they left and Ryan apologized to her and said it was out of his system.

But then, she said, he took her to Paris and again took her to a sex club. She said she cried and became physically ill at the club, and her husband got angry with her. She said she could never get over that incident.

Ryan refused to address the charges directly Monday night, repeatedly referring to the court documents, where he said: "I was faithful and loyal to my wife throughout our marriage. I did arrange romantic getaways, but that did not include the activities she described. We did go to one avant-garde nightclub in Paris, which was more than either of us felt comfortable with. We left and vowed never to return."

He said he felt bad for their son that she would falsely accuse him and said she said she knew he had political aspirations.

Asked why Jeri Lynn Ryan made such specific allegations, Jack Ryan again referred to the court documents.

"You saw my response," he said. "That is not helpful toward what we're trying to accomplish as parents, to reopen those discussions."

In a statement released Monday evening, Jeri Lynn Ryan made no mention of the allegations, but said she now considered Ryan a good man and loving father.

"I consider Jack a friend," the statement said. "There was never any physical abuse in our marriage, either to myself or to our son. Nor to my knowledge was he ever unfaithful to me. Jack is a good man, a loving father and he shares a strong bond with our son. I have no doubt that he will make an excellent senator."

Judge Robert Schnider of Superior Court in Los Angeles ordered Friday the unsealing of portions of the records.

The two had vigorously fought the public disclosure of the files since before Jack Ryan's win in the March 16 Republican primary. They have argued making them public would be harmful to their 9-year-old son, Alex.

The Ryans said they were "disturbed and angered" by the decision but decided not to appeal.

Ryan had repeatedly assured GOP leaders the files contain nothing embarrassing enough to torpedo his bid for the Senate against Democrat Barack Obama.

Rumors about the documents' contents have been circulating since before the March 16 primary. Some of his GOP opponents raised them as an issue in that campaign, but Ryan won the primary handily.

Schnider said making the records public would prove harmful to the Ryans' son, and could prove embarrassing to the former investment banker and teacher. But he said the public deserved to know the contents

The Chicago Tribune and Chicago TV station WLS sued to have the documents released.

I had no idea any of this was going on til I caught a glimpse of a promo for tomorrow's 'Entertainment Tonight' a little while ago. :flex: I honestly didn't even know she was married. I'll try to watch ET tomorrow, and maybe give an opinion then.

In contrast, I did know Jeri Lynn Ryan was married once. I had no idea that this kind of dispute was going on until a friend said that there was something on CNN about her and her ex-husband Jack.

I sure as heck wasn't aware of the troubles that Jeri and family had been having. It just goes to show you that you can not always guess someone's problems just by looking at them. In most of her interviews and behind the scenes out-takes Jeri seems so happy and outgoing. I just couldn't believe that he( Rep. Senate Jack Ryan could put her through such a thing.)

Click for Spoiler:

Sometimes I think men are truly clueless at times. What self-respecting man would even ask his wife to do such a thing. Married couples do not ask one another to strip for or perform sexual acts for them in public places. That's just not done. I know it upset her. Jeri Ryan looks like the type of person who respects everyone she comes in contact with and expects them to do the same. If my husband ever asked me to do anything degrading in public then I would have to divorce him and tell him to get professional help. No one deserves to be treated in that manner. They should be cherished above all others. If a man truly loves you then he shouldn't ask you to do degrading disrespectful acts of any kind. If he can not do that leave him, you as a woman should stay true to yourself. Respect yourself even if he doesn't. :dude::dude: O.K.

I still can't believe what I have read. I wish some men would learn to control themselves when it comes to itimate issues. If this story happened the way she said it did a few years ago then many of you may agree that he needs some type of help. I read the rest of the article and it said that the contents of the documents were not all true then maybe they are right. I think Jeri changed her statement to protect her son Alex. If this is the case then they shouldn't discuss any more aberrations on the subject.

:dude: This is shocking news to me. I had no idea that was going on. I never heard anything about it before..Things like that just shouldn't happen..How can a husband do that to his wife ?? He most certainly needs professional help...I can see why they wanted it kept private..To protect their son..

:dude: This is shocking news to me. I had no idea that was going on. I never heard anything about it before..Things like that just shouldn't happen..How can a husband do that to his wife ?? He most certainly needs professional help...I can see why they wanted it kept private..To protect their son..

I agree with yo ST

A man who does such a thing is not worthy a woman,

These things make me sick

I read about it in the newspaper this morning. I knew she had gotten divorced and everything, but I didn't know that they had such problems...The worst bit is that Jeri and her husband seem to have at least partially resolved the divorce between themselves and don't seem to be that upset anymore (at least to the press) over the divorce, but to have it rubbed in their faces so long after they ended it... :dude::dude:

Guest Ktrek

I feel for her. No woman should have had to cater to a man's sexual perversions. Course there are women out there like this too so men are not the only culprits. It's a shame that after their divorce has been final for so long that this has to come out. I guess someone is trying to oust the Senator?

Ktrek

I knew she had been divorced and had custody of her son but all of this is new to me. I personally think that a guy asks his wife to demean herself publically especiall in a place like that needs some serious treatment. As far as his political race is going he was far behind his opponent anyway and this is the final nail in his coffin. Amerca likes it's politician's to at least appear to be upstanding.

I don't understand why the judge did that. :dude:

This has been on the news like celebrity justice a while ago.

How do you know she's the one telling the truth?

I don't know...But either way I feel sorry for both of them, and their son, that this has been brought up again. This should have been taken care of a while ago, I don't know why the judge didn't settle it... :dude:

You know what I don't tjink someone could evermake ups stories about this. not that vivid. I don't think she is lying.

I think he is sick. He needs help.

I feel sorry for the son, no child, especially at this age or older that has to have this kind of garbage thrown around the playground at school.

Women accuse their soon to be ex-husbands of all sorts of things - things even worse than this - in order to get custody. I'm not saying that is the case here but I don't know her personally so I have no reason to believe either over the other one. I do feel sorry for the kid though.

CAN WE GET BACK TO OUR LIVES NOW ? :dude:(meaning) I AM TIRED OF MEDIA MIXING WITH POLOTICS.

Edited by JGG

Haha thats wierd im watching NBC national news while reading this and bam it is on the national news. I dont think this guy should be in any type of position of power if he does things like this to his wife like takeing her to a sex club with whips what a freak. Hope she gets all his money and it costs him the election.

We are constantly served this diet of "he said/she said" and there is no way of really knowing. We choose up sides and watch peoples' lives made into spectacles. It is so unfortunate.

I think the judge should have kept the records sealed, and spared the child, who apparently still had a relationship with the father, a relationship which the mother sanctioned.

The Ryans had resoved the situation, whatever it was, between themselves. It should have been left at that.

I'm leaning towards believing her after seeing him make a statement. He definitely didn't deny anything (not that it would do much good; most people will choose to believe the juicier side of the story 9 times out of 10,,, true or not). All he said was that the situation doesn't affect his ability to be a senator. :bow:

This had to have been brought up by a political opponent. Why else would this come into the news now? Hmmm...

Is the judge of a different political party than Mr. Ryan?

we'll probably never know that. But that could have the case retried.

The  Ryans had resoved the situation, whatever it was, between themselves. It should have been left at that.

I agree, I find it absurd that this has been brought up right after it had all calmed down and they'd finally returned to their normal lives. :bow:

Yes I thought it was resolved too.

I guess the whole ugly incident resurfaced when Jack Ryan decided to run for public office. They (Media) dig up everything about your background when you decide to run for any local, state or government office.

I don't understand how he could do this to his wife at the time. Jeri Ryan seems to be a very nice, intellegent person. After the first suggestion of a sex club, I know that I would have devorced him for suggesting such a thing. Only a butt would ask his wife to do such a thing. He needs his butt kicked by a :bow: .

Did he ever stop to think what this would do to his child in the long run?

I dislike men who think that they have to go to those places to have their wildest fantasies come true. It is degrading to women. :wub:

Hopefully by the end of this week, this nightmare will be swept away and Jeri Ryan and her ex-husband Jack Ryan can go back to their everyday lives. :laugh:

I'm sorry for my ranting and raving but when I hear about men degrading other women it really gets me upset.

I'm sorry if there are any misspelled words in the post before this one but spell check is acting up apparently. I tried to post another reply earlier but it didn't send. It completely disappeared but I posted another.

PS, I'll try to keep my rantings to a minimum.

KayTroi

I'm from illinois, and I am so dissapointed that junk like this effects a political race. I mean, I'll admit, if it were a Democrat, it not have ticked me off as much or gotten my attention. But the files were sealed and from what I have seen niether of the Ryans wanted those files opened. That judge had to have over stepped his boundries by doing this. It's bogus that Jack Ryan's political status was the main reason that he did that. Oh well. It's just how politics are now.

There was something about it in the papers in Singapore, even. I still can't believe that he would do something like that to her. But there was nothing about them having a son in the report, though. I honestly feel bad for him.

I thought she was hooked up with one of the producers/writers/directors of ST: Voyager? I guess this Jack Ryan thing was prior to that.

Maybe I'm all wrong.