Sign in to follow this  
Carrion

Babylon 5 Creator Taints Star Trek Soon?

Babylon 5 creator J. Michael Straczynski claimed that he recently worked on the development of a new Star Trek series.

Cinescape has reprinted the news from a post at JMS News, in which Straczynski said that he and Dark Skies creator Bryce Zabel had written a treatment earlier this year for a new television series for Paramount. Straczynski stated that the new installment of the franchise would restore Star Trek "in a big way", adding, "I actually think it could be a hell of a show. Whether that ever goes anywhere with Paramount, who knows?"

Though there have been rumours that Paramount had entertained outside pitches for new Star Trek shows from everyone from William Shatner to a group of horror film producers, this is the first time another major television science fiction team has claimed to be working on a project independent of Rick Berman, who has been an executive producer of Star Trek for nearly two decades.

Berman's current production partner Brannon Braga has stated in interviews that he will not be the show-runner for Star Trek: Enterprise next season, with new writer Manny Coto likely to take over those duties, according to several actors on the show. Straczynski praised Coto and offered veiled criticism of Berman and Braga at the same time, saying, "Left to his own devices, I think he could be a big help over there without the other powers that be impeding the process."

The Great Link has previously reported Straczynski's claims that he was invited to become an executive producer on Enterprise, but declined the position. - Trektoday.com

It all Sounds good to me, I wonder what the new series will be like Straczynski was renown for his work on Babylon 5. I wonder what type of stories he can bring into the ST universe?

Well alll I can say is that paramont does not always agrees to the script. So it may not be true.

Very exciting.

I've just recently discovered Babylon 5, and I'm through two seasons of it (I watched all of season two in as many weeks). Straczynski has a great way of making characters and arcs that can evolve over the coarse of a series. Straczynski should be able to have a field day in the Trek universe. Who nows he might even be able to get Andreas Katsulas in for an appearance as Tomalok.

I will eagerly expect more news in this area.

I wouldn't be too eager. You'll end up with dashed hopes. This is internet scuttlebutt and "what ifs?". JMS is busy on his B5 movie, a real challenge now that they have to write around Richard Biggs' death. :) This was an idea pitched awhile back by JMS and his partners that didn't come to fruition. Moore and Pillar also had ideas that were pitched when they were doing their round of interviews for the new BSG. Every sci-fi writer out there has ideas for Trek. JMS was supposedly the one who had the DS9 idea stolen from him. It would be nice if he were on board with ENT but I wouldn't count on it happening. Let's say there are a few hard feelings.

I am encouraged that JMS is so complimentary of Manny Coto's abilities. Manny's show--Odyssey 5--was a well thought out series with fleshed out characters. I saw it. You should feel fortunate that the day to day running of ENT next year will be in Manny's hands. That's confirmed on Trekweb and TrekBBS. Brannon is stepping back and Manny is stepping in. We need to put our trust in who's already on board. Everyone has a brilliant idea for the "next Trek series." TPTB need to concentrate on this series. I don't care how long ENT lasts or how good it gets; filmed Trek needs a rest after ENT concludes. Part of ENT's problem is beyond its control, that there's been too much Trek back to back on screen. VOY should have been the resting period but it wasn't. Hopefully ENT will go out on a creative high, whenever that is, and Trek will lay fallow. It does need a rest. If they go directly into a sixth series it's not going to work no matter how good it might be or who creates it, JMS or Mickey Mouse.

We are the hard core fans here. The general public is burned out on Trek and most forms of sci-fi for that matter. The " highly sucessful" Angel was only drawing between 4 and 5 million viewers a week. I checked it out at zap2it.com. In terms of mainstream numbers those aren't very high. It was successful in the small niche/genre culture of fans but not in the mainstream at all. If JMS were going to be an ENT writer that would be great but don't get your hopes up too high. JMS and Paramount are not on good terms. Ouch. :flex:

Edited by MoulinRouge

Babylon 5's storys have been awesome at relaying graphic scenes and all yet failing in some area's like character development and quick use of story arcs like the ancient enemies which he could of built up more (The Vorlons and the Shadows season 4 mostly). He said he could offer something unique to the Star Trek universe. My bet is that he creates a ST series based on either Starfleet Exploring another galaxy or the federation's explorations into alternate dimension, i dunno they all sound good to me.

I think that the harder, grittier vision of the future created by Babylon Five, and the tension and interplay between the characters carried forward a little into DS9 and Voyager. The Utopian future of TNG with it's immaculate carpets and Pyjama uniforms was dulled down subsequently, with more of a concentrationon the individual characters and an increase in character complexity. The pioneering B5 CGI was eventually adopted in Trek, and the comtemporary feel of many elements have become integral in the Enterprise universe.

Guest Guest

Manny Coto is not talented! Odyssey 5 was the worst excuse for sci-fi since Sliders!

Edited by mj