Sign in to follow this  
BlueCrystal

Movie Night

Is it me or do they just pick boring black and white old really old movies to show the crew. I think I would of just stayed home and knitted a scarf or found other things to do than through the torment of movie night on the Enterprise. Just who the heck picks the movies? I hope we hear more from T'Pol the movie critic as I enjoyed her review of Frankenstein.

I think I would have chosen to go to movie night. If I were on Enterprise, I would not need an adventure film or a "modern" sci fi film...I would be living an adventure. I would need a diversion compelling enough to divert my mind, something both entertaining and engaging, which a lot of classic films are.

Guest Ktrek

Well, I don't want to blow any misconceptions here but I believe the old B&W classic movies are chosen is because Paramount would not any longer have to pay any "royalty" fees like they would if say they showed a sequence of "The Matrix" or something because they are in the public domain. :theking:

Ktrek

Edited by Ktrek

Well, I don't want to blow any misconceptions here but I believe the old B&W classic movies are chosen is because Paramount would not any longer have to pay any "royalty" fees like they would if say they showed a sequence of "The Matrix" or something because they are in the public domain. :clap:

Ktrek

Kind of like the discussion of the forehead ridges on Klingons. The real reason for no ridges in TOS was money...they could not afford it. But fans look for justifications within the Star Trek saga.

So maybe Paramount does not want to pay movie royalties in reality. But within the Enterprise saga....whose choosing the movies, and why?

Isn't Trip choosing the movies?

I think it's all about the royalties. Paramount is trying not to spend mony on Trek. That's how I see it. Merchandise is more expensive in the U.S. than in Europe. Why? Paramount.

You all may be right but my line of thought is if Paramount makes Enterprise why not use just clips of their just released movies as free advertisement. Most likely we'll only see just a small scene if that of the movie and that will a commercial within the program itself. Then as the season progresses someone will most likely bring up the clip from episode whatever and we'll all just have to rush our to see what the Ent crew was watching.

The only movie I can actually remembering them watching was Frankenstein, I know they've watched others but I can't remember what they were. :clap: I kinda like some of those old movies. :clap:

It's not always b&w movies. Phlox watched Danny Kaye in the Court Jester in Doctor's Orders and also mentioned how he should never have let Trip talk him into seeing the Exorcist, (Lord knows why not. Phlox isn't a Christian, so the imagery would largely pass him by and, frankly, I've seen scarier kid's cartoons).

They could surely include a lot of old, colour films in, without paying fees. Or they could show a bit of Brief Encounter. I'd like to see Trip crying at a romantic movie again. But, clearly, that didn't appeal to the brain-dead 'young male' demographic TPTB at UPN & Paramount seem overly obsessed by :clap:, so Trip turned into a Horror movie buff.

I've never seen the Crosby/Hope Road movies. Are they b&w or colour?

Guest Ktrek

I've never seen the Crosby/Hope Road movies.  Are they b&w or colour?

There are seven road movies and if memory serves me right I believe only one was in color. They are all great and fun movies. I recommend them if you have never seen them.

Ktrek

You all may be right but my line of thought is if Paramount makes Enterprise why not use just clips of their just released movies as free advertisement.  Most likely we'll only see just a small scene if that of the movie and that will a commercial within the program itself.  Then as the season progresses someone will most likely bring up the clip from episode whatever and we'll all just have to rush our to see what the Ent crew was watching.

That's a really good idea...now are TPTB paying attention?

Within the show, couldn't there be a committee that goes to Archer and gets the right to vote on the movie for movie night, so that it would not just reflect one man's taste?

Unless copyright laws change they wouldn't be having a movie night anyway - private home viewings only. :flex:

I have to take exception with the old b&w being boring. Some of them actually had plots....contemporary action movies with non stop special effects (and no plot) bore me to tears. Maybe they choose these movies in an attempt to portray the crew as culturally educated.

In defense of Trip it sounds like he's trying to choose movies that would meet the needs of the crew not just picking movies he likes. (a Hope and Crosby show for morale) That is what a person in leadership is supposed to do.

Does anyone remember "The Greatest Show on Earth" about the circus where they pan the audience and there are Hope and Crosby eating popcorn.

You know, I need to see Son of Paleface - I haven't had a good laugh in a while.

Unless copyright laws change they wouldn't be having a movie night anyway - private home viewings only. :flex:

I have to take exception with the old b&w being boring.  Some of them actually had plots....contemporary action movies with non stop special effects (and no plot) bore me to tears.  Maybe they choose these movies in an attempt to portray the crew as culturally educated.

In defense of Trip it sounds like he's trying to choose movies that would meet the needs of the crew not just picking movies he likes.  (a Hope and Crosby show for morale) That is what a person in leadership is supposed to do.

Does anyone remember "The Greatest Show on Earth" about the circus where they pan the audience and there are Hope and Crosby eating popcorn.

You know, I need to see Son of Paleface - I haven't had a good laugh in a while.

I agree. People watch movies in part to get something that's lacking in their own lives or to experience things they can't through film. Why would the crew be interested in an action/Sci-Fi movie when they're living it every day? They'd much more likely want to be reminded of the peacefulness of home, which is exactly what happens in some of the movies that have been shown.

I have to take exception with the old b&w being boring.  Some of them actually had plots....contemporary action movies with non stop special effects (and no plot) bore me to tears.  Maybe they choose these movies in an attempt to portray the crew as culturally educated.

In defense of Trip it sounds like he's trying to choose movies that would meet the needs of the crew not just picking movies he likes.  (a Hope and Crosby show for morale) That is what a person in leadership is supposed to do.

I agree. People watch movies in part to get something that's lacking in their own lives or to experience things they can't through film. Why would the crew be interested in an action/Sci-Fi movie when they're living it every day? They'd much more likely want to be reminded of the peacefulness of home, which is exactly what happens in some of the movies that have been shown.

*Sigh*

Exactly the point I made in the second post in this thread, RSV.

*Sigh*

Exactly the point I made in the second post in this thread, RSV.

Heh heh. Whoops! I remember reading that when it was originally posted but I held off on my own reply for a while. I won't be fooled by your brainwashing techniques again. :)

I'd like to see them using the movie as a kind of reflection of what's going on in the main story. They were watching a romantic movie in "Doctor's Orders" about a relationship that couldn't work out; similarly, Phlox was going through a similar experience with Cutler. It was a nice little touch.

Edited by Red Shirt Volunteer

I agree with TUH's point. I think alot of the junk that has made it to the silver screen will have been forgotten with in the next 15 years much less 150 years. I like the idea that some films remain timeless like Hope and Crosby and then some of the horror films like Rose Marie's Baby and Frankenstien still live on in the 22nd century.

And just out of curiousity,for the people who say that Black and white films have boring:How many black and white films have you seen?

I like black-and-white films...

Thus so with silent films... (Anyone here like 'em?)

I agree with mj and Red Shirt Volunteer (and probably some others)...

Anyways, I like the older films... They showed The Day That the Earth Stood Still once... (Was that made in 1951? Or was it a different year?)

hehe, it would be interesting if they would show Forbidden Planet (1957)

That movie rocked :bow:

lastresort.jpg42.gif

On Space:The Imagination Station!

I believe they showed "The Day The Earth Stood Still"

and "Forbidden Planet" had the parts of the film as a Prototype to Star Trek as far as the Beaming and the Propulsion systems

and the German Film "Metropolis" is also a Silent Black and White Film with awesome Music in the Film

:laugh: :wub: :hug::bow:

Now your know what would be fun is it they played scary movies and celebrated Halloween and forgot to tell Phlox and T'Pol about that weird holiday. :blink:

On Space:The Imagination Station!

I believe they showed "The Day The Earth Stood Still"

and "Forbidden Planet" had the parts of the film as a Prototype to Star Trek as far as the Beaming and the Propulsion systems

and the German Film "Metropolis" is also a Silent Black and White Film with awesome Music in the Film

:look:  :lol:  :o  :lol:

I love

"The Day the Earth Stood Still." I have it on video. I have rented "Metropolis," and it was compelling.

My favorite movie is a black and white film, but not a sci fi. It is the movie "King's Row, " which I have on video. I think many people here would find the film uninteresting.

There are a lot of really good choices in black and white films beside what has been mentioned.