Sign in to follow this  
shinzonfan

Aliens

Most Trekkies are aethists, so get ready for people to ask ya not to preach!

Captain Jean-Luc Picard that’s not really true.

That’s like saying everyone that watches the TV show (I only saw it once) that has a Democrat President and so shows a lot of Democrat views are Democrats. In fact it really is split in how many Republicans and how many Democrats watch the show (for the most part). And I can assume from your statement that you really are just assuming that and have not really looked at any kind of stats. And ST does not really focus on religion in general. What you are saying is not true at all. Don’t just assume.

Sorry, that was just spoken from my own experrience... :oops:

2 things to say:

1. Most Trekkies are aethists, so get ready for people to ask ya not to preach! :laugh:

2. I believe, from a Christian view, that there is nothing man can do about Reveleations - the end times.  It will happen.  Again, this is a Christian view. :o

And how the heck did you come to the conclusion that most Trekkies are athiests?!?!? :blink: Where are your statistics to back up such an outrageous claim! Do you group all non-Christians in with athiests or something? :huh: I have read many posts by people expressing their faith however they are not as blatant as you. Yes, some Trekkies are athiest but some are agnostic, Catholic, Buddist, Christian, etc., ect., etc. Maybe you post a link to the studies to back up this claim, if you have any.

As for intelligent life out there, I certainly believe it exists although there are times when I wish there was more of it on Earth. :(

1. Most Trekkies are aethists, so get ready for people to ask ya not to preach! ;)

Sorry to say this to you...I am not an atheist, I am a Lutheran...and even though I do not attend church every Sunday, I am still a Lutheran, who is a Trek fan...

The universe is too vast and our solar system too insignificant for us to be the only inteligent life. I don't think the universe is designed that badly. Besides it's arrogant to think that no one can possibly be as smart as we are because we are just sooo perfect.

1. Most Trekkies are aethists, so get ready for people to ask ya not to preach! ;)

Sorry to say this to you...I am not an atheist, I am a Lutheran...and even though I do not attend church every Sunday, I am still a Lutheran, who is a Trek fan...

Even though you were speaking from experienc, CJLP, I'm still adding my two cents. lol.

I am in fact a catholic. I even go to a catholic school. I do not go to church every Sunday and on average I only go around 5 times a year, and yes, at times I do question my faith, but it is common that those who question it only make it stronger. Anyways, I do believe in God. Sometimes it is quite difficult to believe that some being is out there that watches over us and created us, it even can seem quite silly, but I still believe. I do not think that the Bible was to be taken literally. I think it does the same thing even Star Trek does. It tells us a story which shows something humans can have in common with, which displays a message. In the Bible, it is the message of kindness and love to everyone. In Star Trek, it is the same. Now that I am thinking of it, if you look beyond the Science-Fiction of Star Trek, it can display the same ideals that Christianity tries to teach us. In fact, by watching Star Trek, you can strengthen your faith, not diminish it because of all the underlying messages and how closely related all those messages are to the Bible. Those are just my beliefs however. Now I am just rambling so let's move along.

Yes, I do think Aliens exist. No doubt about it. I agree with everyone else in that it is ignorant to think that the human species is the only one out there. The universe is very vast. One thing though: has anyone here read the book Sphere by Micheal Crichton? Well, in the book, it states some theories related to the existence of other life-forms. It says that it is against all odds that the aliens will be humanoid. There are far too many factors that must be the same to produce a humanoid species. We probably will not even be able to communicate because the factors would have been so different in the evolution of the species that we would be entirely different. Anyways, I am rambling again, so I'll end it with that.

Even though you were speaking from experienc, CJLP, I'm still adding my two cents. lol.

I am in fact a catholic. I even go to a catholic school. I do not go to church every Sunday and on average I only go around 5 times a year, and yes, at times I do question my faith, but it is common that those who question it only make it stronger. Anyways, I do believe in God. Sometimes it is quite difficult to believe that some being is out there that watches over us and created us, it even can seem quite silly, but I still believe. I do not think that the Bible was to be taken literally. I think it does the same thing even Star Trek does. It tells us a story which shows something humans can have in common with, which displays a message. In the Bible, it is the message of kindness and love to everyone. In Star Trek, it is the same. Now that I am thinking of it, if you look beyond the Science-Fiction of Star Trek, it can display the same ideals that Christianity tries to teach us. In fact, by watching Star Trek, you can strengthen your faith, not diminish it because of all the underlying messages and how closely related all those messages are to the Bible. Those are just my beliefs however. Now I am just rambling so let's move along.

Yes, I do think Aliens exist. No doubt about it. I agree with everyone else in that it is ignorant to think that the human species is the only one out there. The universe is very vast. One thing though: has anyone here read the book Sphere by Micheal Crichton? Well, in the book, it states some theories related to the existence of other life-forms. It says that it is against all odds that the aliens will be humanoid. There are far too many factors that must be the same to produce a humanoid species. We probably will not even be able to communicate because the factors would have been so different in the evolution of the species that we would be entirely different. Anyways, I am rambling again, so I'll end it with that.

I think your two cents were definately worth it... He may be speaking from experience(CJLP) but now we are speaking from ours(so it is not rambling on your part)!!

2 things to say:

1. Most Trekkies are aethists, so get ready for people to ask ya not to preach! :D

2. I believe, from a Christian view, that there is nothing man can do about Reveleations - the end times.  It will happen.  Again, this is a Christian view. ;)

OMG - there are websites devoted to this topic

I did not read all this but if you're really curious here's some links.

Fascist Ideology of Star Trek

ST:TNG

What Christians Can learn from Star Trek Fans

ST Chaplains

All I know is that, in the past, whenever I met a Trekkie, they were allways an aetheist and made fun of religion. Excuse me for having the wrong impression, and I'd appreciate it if everyone stopped focusing on my single post. ;)

All I know is that, in the past, whenever I met a Trekkie, they were allways an aetheist and made fun of religion.  Excuse me for having the wrong impression, and I'd appreciate it if everyone stopped focusing on my single post. :innocent:

HEY EVERYONE COOL IT!!! I am friends with this guy and knows what he is speaking about, i met some Trekkies out there that really dont believe in God and I also think that it was a bit wrong for Jean Luc to say that Most Trekkies are Atheists, he tried to appoligize, but more of you are jumping down his throat... Don't behave so cruel to someone when they ask for forgivness!!!

It really did not sound like an apology. If you have mis spoke, perhaps a retraction would be the best course of action.

I am friends with others on this board and if they say something wrong, my being there friend does not make it less wrong.

I too am a fan of Trek and God.

The thing is, we fans have a fit over a tiny little bit of unpainted skin being shown on Data's arm in First Contact. To expect us to not jump all over this is.... :innocent:

All I know is that, in the past, whenever I met a Trekkie, they were allways an aetheist and made fun of religion.  Excuse me for having the wrong impression, and I'd appreciate it if everyone stopped focusing on my single post. :innocent:

HEY EVERYONE COOL IT!!! I am friends with this guy and knows what he is speaking about, i met some Trekkies out there that really dont believe in God and I also think that it was a bit wrong for Jean Luc to say that Most Trekkies are Atheists, he tried to appoligize, but more of you are jumping down his throat... Don't behave so cruel to someone when they ask for forgivness!!!

CJLP, just out of curiousity how many Trek fans have you met and how many of them are athiests?

Ahane Falzon, you say it was "a bit wrong". CJLP made a sweeping generalization about millions of people and you consider that "a bit wrong". If I said that all Christians had brown hair because the only Christians I knew had brown hair would that seem idiotic to you?

I don't know any athiests who make fun of religion. I believe many athiests respect other's faith as long as their "lack of faith" is respected. How many of those athiests that you met did you try to convince to give God one more chance. I believe I recall CJLP posting that to KlingonMike after he stated his beliefs on another thread. That is what bothers me. I don't like people trying to force their beliefs on me as if they know what is better for me. It is wrong whether you are a Christian, Catholic or an athiest.

It really did not sound like an apology. If you have mis spoke, perhaps a retraction would be the best course of action.

I am friends with others on this board and if they say something wrong, my being there friend does not make it less wrong.

I too am a fan of Trek and God.

The thing is, we fans have a fit over a tiny little bit of unpainted skin being shown on Data's arm in First Contact. To expect us to not jump all over this is.... :innocent:

Exactly, you put this in to words the best Lessa

I don't know any athiests who make fun of religion.  I believe many athiests respect other's faith as long as their "lack of faith" is respected.  How many of those athiests that you met did you try to convince to give God one more chance.  I believe I recall CJLP posting that to KlingonMike after he stated his beliefs on another thread.  That is what bothers me.  I don't like people trying to force their beliefs on me as if they know what is better for me.  It is wrong whether you are a Christian, Catholic or an athiest.

appl.gifappl.gifappl.gif

well so much for the alien question. damn i didnt think some of my statements would turn into this. hey cjlp said something most people wouldnt like, no big deal. it happens everyday. i know i love trek and i beleive in GOD. my grandma is an extreme christian, and she used to love TOS. my one aunts also an atheist, and i think she really doesnt like trek. so i think we should all move on from his uninsightful statement, and give him a break. as the bible and GOD says let he who is without sin cast the first stone, i KNOW that there isnt ANYONE of us who can cast the first one. im sure cjlp didnt mean to upset anyone with what was said. they were only words anyways. and no i dont know cjlp anymore than the rest of you do from just reading his posts. well i hope we can all get over this and still be friends, after all this isnt ST.COM right. lol.

MAY YOU ALL

LIVE LONG AND PROSPER

MLW "CPTWRIGHT"

You are right Cptwright. We have gone off topic here. I disagree when you say they were only words though. Words can be an amazing tool or the most dangerous weapon to society.

As for aliens, I hope that when there is first contact between Earth and species from other worlds that it will be more along the lines of the Vulcan first contact than as depicted in movies such as Independence Day. Notice I said "when" not "if".

i do agree words can be harsh, and hurtful. but also that'll only affect a person as much as they let it.

well now on to first contact, they'll probably be ugly little things. lol.

I hope and pray that aliens exist. The mere thought of it stirs some kind of primitive excitement in me. Maybe it's our inborn nature to explore and continue to learn about the world in which we live. I believe that God, in his infinite wisdom, and having created us in this way, would not have limited our exploration to one planet. Possibly there are people or creatures on other planets that are wondering the same thing and have also been created with a desire to learn and explore. There is no reason to think that other beings cannot be more advanced than us, their technological development could be on an entirely different timetable than ours. But if they have this desire to explore, as we do, then it is entirely possible they have visited us or are observing us.

Man once believed that Earth was the center of the solar system. We now know that isn't true. Many people today believe we are the only intelligent life in the Universe. I believe someday that also will be proven false.

Obviously, from my statements, I am a religious person. I am glad to see so many others come forward. To be honest, I also had the impression that a lot of Trek fans were not religious. In fact, I got that impression from another thread on this board. I'm glad I was wrong, but I can understand why CJLP made the statement that he did and he did state that was only from his experience. Everybody's experiences are different, and now perhaps he can adjust his thinking, as I have.

Good topic!!