Sign in to follow this  
cyphrx

What's the worst Star Trek book you've read

Well since we have the best might as well have the worst? I'll start off...

Spock must Die...

I really like James Blish's novelization of TOS, but this one wasn't that entertaining. Also I didn't like what happened to the klingons it didn't make sense to me. I realize that this was written before the movie or spinoffs but to me it was more of a hodge podge of every episode then a original story. For those who haven't read it I'll put it in a spoiler section.

Click for Spoiler:

The Orions instill a restriction to the Klingon Empire from interplanetary space travel? Come on even Q thought that was ridiculous when Picard suggested it!

The Prometheus Design. It was the first ST book I ever bought, and if I hadn't been so hooked on the show, I never would have bought another one. My word, that book is tough slogging through!

I am not sure.....probably TNG novels that don't have Data as a central character....I would usually skim through the pages until I saw his name, and would read that section until he was out of the scene, then would scan for his name again.

lol! I used to do that, but then I felt bad...so I just force myself throught the rest of the book.

Me too, but nowadays I only have the novels for the TNG movies, and the following novels: Immortal Coil, Survivors, Metamorphosis, Spartacus and Descent. That is basically it for novels, since those are the main Data related stories. And I have a few of the other Trek books such as the TNG Companion...

Is Descent a novelization of the episode?

Yes, and it also goes a little beyond the episode stuff we saw, as most novelizations of movies/tv episodes do.

Click for Spoiler:

There is a scene where Lore actually makes passes at Troi, and she fights back(literally at one point, she hits him a few times when made an advance towards her).

There is a TNG book out where the crew of the Enterprise-D meet the X-Men,it was a piece of crap book!

I change mine, I totally agree with you that is 100% the worst book.

There is a TNG book out where the crew of the Enterprise-D meet the X-Men,it was a piece of crap book!

I read only HALF of the book, so yes I would agree that it very well could be the WORST ST book ever written.

I saw that one a few days ago, but I ran away before it could get near me...the cover alone was enough to keep me from opening it.

I saw that one a few days ago, but I ran away before it could get near me...the cover alone was enough to keep me from opening it.

Is that Planet X or another Book??

I've got Planet X and I think their on Enterprise-E in it.

anyway...of the Trek books I've read...I'd Say...hmmm...I dunno...I'll have to read more.

Are you talking about the book called Planet X with the X-Men in it. I have that book. It wasn't that bad. :lol: It could have been better though. :bow:

Spocks World.by Diane Duane. Holy &*(^ it's the longest most boring book I've ever read..I don't think I've ever even finished it!

0743403711.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I remember some of Spock’s World and you are right, it tiptoed around afraid to make any commitments about what was really going on there except to say there was unrest among it’s citizens, something about breaking away from the Federation because of silly humans, if I remember correctly. Many of the paperbacks I read were stinkers for the same reason, afraid to expand on established facts for fear of being overruled by later canon stories. I think stories written after a series ends are better cause the chances of that happening are [almost] null.

I would have to say the tos book "how much for just the planet" of at least I think thats what it was called some parts where funny but after reading the book I just came away with no emotion about it and thats worst even if I did not like it

Spocks World.by Diane Duane. Holy &*(^ it's the longest most boring book I've ever read..I don't think I've ever even finished it!

0743403711.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I have just begun reading this title. From what you have said, it apparently doesn't get any better. I havent gotten through half of it yet, and nothing of importance has happened. Thanks for the Heads-Up. I think it's just time for me to go get "Homecoming: Book 2" and start on S.C.E. book 2 as well.

Any TOS novel or fan fiction which contains Kirk/Spock or McCoy/Spock slash. Disgusting and an insult to our proud TOS crew. When I was about 12 years old I spotted a Star Trek paperback at a rummage sale and snapped it up. I took it home and after reading about 10 pages, I discovered it was one of "those" stories. I was so disgusted I wanted to burn the book, but settled for throwing it with the rest of the trash.

Yeah, i have seen some of that slash too and it is gross. I remember one long ago called Perry's planet that i hated. But it was so long ago, i don't remember why B)

Never met a Star Trek novel I didn't like.However,that said,I didn't really care much for Culbreath and Marshak's "Phoenix" books(TOS).I read them each once and have never picked them up again. :blink:

i tried to read the new one "garth", it just didnt grab me....maybe it will some other day.

Really. I bought that one last weekend with the hopes it would "Grab Me" and plunge back into the realm of TOS. Bummer :look: O'well, I'll start it one of these days and see what happens, perhaps re-watching Whom Gods Destroy before I start it will help get me in the mood.

Spock's World was disappointing.I think Vulcan too closely resembled Earth and human civilization.The book needed more distinctly Vulcan characteristics.Also,the ancient Vulcans mental abilities were blown way out of proportion.I mean,during the "Orion Invasion" they simply thought the invaders ships apart,and mentally beamed back images of the destruction to the orion Confederacy!Gimme a break. :clap:

I didn't like the Diane carey TOS novels "Dreadnought" and "Battlestations!" because the stories focused on her own characters and not on our TOS favorites.It was almost as if the Enterprise and Kirk and Company were merely there to satisfy Pocket Books' requirement that a TOS novel actually contain TOS characters.In my opinion,these two novels have nothing really to do with TOS.

I believe there was a tome written by Majel-Barrett Roddenberry,which I checked out of the library on Cantus IV and read.It was quite simply deplorable!The book implied that the Federation kept the children and loved ones of all member worlds' leaders on a single planet under threat of death if their homeworld began a conflict or some such nonsense..really!The UFP has never been,nor will ever be so barbaric.Also,the book was overtly sexual.Too much so for a TOS novel,or any Trek novel.It should never have been published I dare say.