Sign in to follow this  
BlueCrystal

Data And His *father*

My question is, if Soong created Data why didn't Data take on his creators name?

Why isn't our Commander Data known to us as Commander Data Soong?

If Data had explored his humanity we might have seen a name change

Data is an android, everybody knows that each android of Dr. Soong had a different name: Data, Lore, B4. They aren't real persons, therefore the scientist has never thought that they should have his name.

they aren't his sons, they're only his creatures, perhaps too human sometimes.

Mod's note: The editing was only to clean up the tags.

Edited by Takara_Soong

Maybe he feels that the doctor was his creator, separate from a family...

thus taking away the option of a surname...

Actually, the answer is that until the Episode "DataLore" Data did not know WHO his creator was. It was Lore that told him, but by that time, Data had been "Data, NFN, NMN* " for 26 years and it was not infortant for him to change it right then. I think if Data had known THEN that Soong was still alive, he may have thought about it, but then even when they met, Soong dies, so...

i personally think that he would add it later in his life to "sound" more human...don't even say he's dead *puts hands over ears* Lalalalala...i'm not listening!!!

* No First Name, No Middle Name

My question is, if Soong created Data why didn't Data take on his creators name?

At the time we first see Data, he did not know who his creator was. It was not until the Enterprise crew go to Omicron Theta and discover Soong's lab ("Datalore") that he finds this out. Then of course over the subsequent years he learns more and more about his family.

That is the basic story there, however. Because there are instances where that might not exactly be right, I am trying to remember which episodes exactly but it is alluded to several times throughout the span of the series and I believe the movies as well...that he knew at least a bit about his father prior to the Away Team's discovery of the hidden lab. First off.. Maddox makes mention of studying Soong's research(or something along those lines) and if no one knew who created Data...then just how did Cmdr Maddox know this stuff?? Yes, I know Soong was a respected cyberneticist, so studying his research would not be out of the ordinary for anyone. But I am referring to him studying Soong's research as applied to Data.. and the way that it was said makes me think that Data's parentage was at least vaguely known prior to "Datalore"

I know that his name is "NFN NMN Data". But I have always wondered that, if he wanted to know everything about what it is to be human...why did he not adopt his father's last name as his family name. But then again, he could have also chosen NOT to do so..and that that choice was never mentioned. Either version(Data or Data Soong) sounds fine to me anyways...*shrug* LOL.

Edited by Yillara_Soong

At the time we first see Data, he did not know who his creator was. It was not until the Enterprise crew go to Omicron Theta and discover Soong's lab ("Datalore") that he finds this out. Then of course over the subsequent years he learns more and more about his family.

That is the basic story there, however. Because there are instances where that might not exactly be right, I am trying to remember which episodes exactly but it is alluded to several times throughout the span of the series and I believe the movies as well...that he knew at least a bit about his father prior to the Away Team's discovery of the hidden lab. First off.. Maddox makes mention of studying Soong's research(or something along those lines) and if no one knew who created Data...then just how did Cmdr Maddox know this stuff?? Yes, I know Soong was a respected cyberneticist, so studying his research would not be out of the ordinary for anyone. But I am referring to him studying Soong's research as applied to Data.. and the way that it was said makes me think that Data's parentage was at least vaguely known prior to "Datalore"

I know that his name is "NFN NMN Data". But I have always wondered that, if he wanted to know everything about what it is to be human...why did he not adopt his father's last name as his family name. But then again, he could have also chosen NOT to do so..and that that choice was never mentioned. Either version(Data or Data Soong) sounds fine to me anyways...*shrug* LOL.

Odd about the NFN NMN part. I've always figured Data was his first name, and that he was like Cher or Madonna or Sting, in regards to the lack of the rest of his name.

:P