Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Do You Sew?

Do/Can you sew?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Do/Can you sew?

• Yes, the whole thing from bolt of cloth to finished article.
    • Machine sew straight lines for mending only
    • Hand sew buttons and ripped hems
    • I scotch tape my hems
    • I throw it out and buy a new one if it rips

We were discussing this at work the other day - it's becoming a lost art. Back in the dinasaur age when I was in high school they actually taught classes on sewing. I used to sew a great deal. I still can but I don't very often.

Well we had to do it for Home Ec in junior high. It was a required course for both sexes. I wasn't that bad at it either but I stopped when Junior high was over :naughty:

I can't sew...

I like to staple...

usually my mom does it for me as I'm 13..

:naughty:

I've sewn all my life. I love to create things. I even change things that I buy readymade. I'm just wierd, I guess :naughty: I even make Iguana pillows. :biggrin: They love them, it's a special shape just for them. I make a new one for each new baby I get. I have them in all sizes now. Of course some of them are a bit chewed up, they bite holes in them :oops: :biggrin:

Edited by Jeanway

Back in the dinasaur age when I was in high school they actually taught classes on sewing.

I guess we're still in the dino age, 'cause they still teach it. Hang on, I hear thunder or some loud noise... *checks out window* Crap! It's a T-Rex! :naughty:

I learned to sew in High School. I have sewn t-shirts, pillows and blankets. Now I mostly sew buttons back onto shirts. But sewing is something that I think that every person should learn.

Do they really still teach sewing (clothing & textiles) in school? I mean the whole course on how to choose patterns, select fabrics, finish seams, put in zippers, buttonholes - the whole thing? And guys take this too?

I had no idea -

Do they really still teach sewing (clothing & textiles) in school?  I mean the whole course on how to choose patterns, select fabrics, finish seams, put in zippers, buttonholes  - the whole thing?  And guys take this too?

I had no idea -

It's an elective in high school where I live.

EEWWW, textiles are nice. Did you know there is a Textile Museum? I was invited once but didn't go, I wish I had. Does anyone know where that might be?

Do they really still teach sewing (clothing & textiles) in school?  I mean the whole course on how to choose patterns, select fabrics, finish seams, put in zippers, buttonholes  - the whole thing?  And guys take this too?

I had no idea -

Yep, they still teach it. And I took the class because I had no other option. All of the other classes that were being offered, I had already taken.

Anywho it is not a bad piece of knowledge to have. I actually have benefited from knowing how to sew.

Who knew?

I personally think a guy that sews is kind of, well, hhmm, HOT! :biggrin: Silly HUH? Just to see him with a tape measure around his neck and pins in his mouth :biggrin: EEWWWW!!! MaMa! :naughty: I'm Not Kidding.

I had no idea -

I made cool locker organizer that was really cool! I also made a sweater :naughty:

Thank you Jeanway, I also cook rather well too... Something that I was tought by everyone in my family. Cooking is someting that we were all taught at a young age in my family. My mother is a good cook and my father was too.

Thank you Jeanway, I also cook rather well too...  Something that I was tought by everyone in my family.  Cooking is someting that we were all taught at a young age in my family.  My mother is a good cook and my father was too.

Cooking is an extremely important skill. And women are very impressed when men cook for them.

I can sew if I have to. :naughty: Years ago for Christmas my parents bought me a sewing machine, it's still in the box. Maybe I should think about selling it on ebay or something.

I need a poll option for I just give it to my husband if it rips. :tear: I don't know how to sew at all, he does. How weird is that? :( He's also an awesome cook and does more than his fair share of household chores with out me ever having to ask. Have I ever mentioned I adore my husband? :(

I can do buttons and ripped hems. Beyond that, well, I'd probably hand it over to my talented brother-in-law that RC is boasting about up there. :tear:

I can't sew and I have never learned it. I don't want to learn it now, either. :tear:

Things that have to be sewed are given to my grandmother. :(

Buttons, hems, and other ripped seams. I also had to take that junior high school home ec class where you had to lean to sew, and it was disasterous.