Sign in to follow this  
Vulcan IDIC

Questionable Act Of An Old Teacher

I just discovered that one of my old high school teachers is now in trouble because he showed the video of the American who was agonizingly beheaded by the Iraqis. I don't think that this was an approriate thing to do and this is what I wrote on another board:

I am a former student of Mr. Smith's, graduating from Grossmont High School 9 years ago and I do not condone the showing of this video in the classroom setting at all. I am now in the final processes of becoming a history teacher myself. I think there is a fine line that you walk when deciding what is appropriate and what is not. I believe that there are ways to discuss a topic like this without showing the graphic details. It is a heavy subject not to be taken lightly. As for the other teacher, who proceeded to announce her anti war sentiments to the entire student body, it is not her job as a teacher to impose her view points on her students. It is however her job to be as objective as possible, presenting both sides of an issue and letting the students make intuitive decisions on what they believe without her help. Subjectivity has no place in a classroom setting where the goal is to make the kids exercise critical thinking skills and come to their own conclusions.

Showing this video in a classroom setting without the proper permission slips signed, warning parents what their children were going to be viewing was an unexcuseable act on the part of the teacher. Permission slips or not, it just was not a wise decision to make and the video should never have been shown in the first place. Extremely inapropriate material for a classroom setting.

I don't know I just really think it should not have been shown. What do you guys think?

Stardate:214388.1

I totally agree.I seen that video and even if permission slips were signed by parents it is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to graphic for a classroom.

I think if permission slips had been obtained, it would be ok. Something like this is up to the parents, not the teachers.

Speaking as a parent, if my kids were in high school, I would sign the permission slip. I don't believe in hiding kids (especially teenagers) from reality, no matter how gross reality may be.

I also recognize that not all parents share my belief, so permission slips are necessary. I don't condemn the teacher for what he did, just how he did it.

I agree that this was something the parents should decide not the teacher.

As to whether I would sign a permission slip if I had children I'm not sure. I didn't have to watch the video to know it was a horrendous act.

personally, i am disgusted that a teacher would want to put students through such a graphic video regardless wether permission slips were involved or not, there is way to much brutal violence in the world without putting anyone( regardless of age) through something that actually happened for real. Why show such human suffering ?, isn't there enough pain and suffering on tv, on the news, and in some cases in the movies?,

Nope, if it was my daughter in that class i would be very angry and i would most definitely be seeing someone from the board of education.

History happens, and we can't clean it up or change it, no matter what's PC now. (You can't use twenty-first century views to judge the eighteenth century.) All you can do is present it. And history happens every moment.

The fact that this should be discussed is absolutely essential. A teacher's political views are NOT a topic for discussion in the classroom. Whether or not it should have been shown - I personally wouldn't have. Probably I would have let it be known that the video exists, that I could have a viewing with parental permission. And discussed the horrors of war in general. NO country is without its horror stories...

Parents should have been warned. Teenagers are still minors.

As for teachers giving their own views, I have a different opinion. I believe teachers should be able to state their views, but not impose their views. I teach math, but my students sometimes discuss political matters in my office (initiated by them). I give my opinion, and listen to theirs.

Permission slips should have been obtained. had they been obtained from parents, I would see no problem with showing it. I myself HAVEN'T seen the video, only because I've seen plenty of dead bodies, and seen people die, I really don't have the wish to see such acts voluntarily.

as for political views, when TEACHING, the teacher should be as objective as possible. if students wish to ask a teacher what their perticular view on a subject is, I see no problem, but that political view should not be influencing how a subject is taught.

If they would have showed something like that in my class I would have walked away.I cant watch those kind of things,i think its horrible and maybe its something that helps pple realize what happens there I dont know but I only get nightmares from it and I would have walked away no matter if I got detention or something.

Well, I personally don't think it's a matter of the parent rather that of the student. I have not ever in my life been forced to watch a graphic video like that, we are always allowed to watch out of the classroom if we don't care to see it.

When we were watching footage on the holocaust in Sociology several people walked out of the classroom and for those who stayed it had a major impact, as that video probably would've. It is crucial that we learn the pain that is inflicted by these events while we are young so we do not do these things when we are older.

For some young people that would have been too much trauma. I don't think you have to be shown brutally graphic material to learn to be sensitive to the hurts of others.

In fact violent video games have have had the opposite affect....it is teaching those who use them to be insensitive.

You have to place these things in a moral context, making sure the people who will see it have some internalized values as to right and wrong, before seeing such a horrible murder will have an impact.

I have not seen it at all. I have only heard about it. Yet my heart aches over it. Why? Because I was raised to care about other human beings.

Yet I have heard of people being fired because they played the video and laughed through it.

I probably shouldn't talk about this but I witnessed a beheading, as a child. It still affects me today if I let myself think about it. The worst thing about it for me, was how the man looked just before it happened. Total resignation to the fact he was going to die. Total fear on his face, his body so weak from fear he could barely walk and was all but dragged by his armpits to the block. A pleading look on his face, all the color drained from face, then it was over. Everyone there just walked away like it was nothing. I was certainly, well, shocked isin't the right word, it was more like my mind was injured. Typing this right now is affecting me badly, so I should stop. I wish I never saw it.

I think no child should be subjected to this. It's like your mind got hit by a train.

Edited by Jeanway

The teacher was a moron to show that to put it politely. Regardless of what one believes about education, obviously others are going to have other values and notions about what is appropriate in the classroom. Equally obvious is the fact that some parents would oppose this and it would cause major problems between the administration and parents. He's a fool and will likely be punished for this. No matter what you say to students before they see it, I don't think it's possible to prepare people for anything that shocking and so the students couldn't even have made an informed choice.

As a former collage drop out who was going to be a history teacher.I would never show that video to my students. very not right .

i saw it replused me. Changed my profassion but that video is something no one should have to see. and that maniac using it as a tool to get more people to his cause. Makes leagle assanation look acceptable almost.

Parents should have been warned. Teenagers are still minors.

As for teachers giving their own views, I have a different opinion. I believe teachers should be able to state their views, but not impose their views. I teach math, but my students sometimes discuss political matters in my office (initiated by them). I give my opinion, and listen to theirs.

I have no problem with that, M - I've done the same thing. When a student asked me what I thought about such-and-such, I told them. I used to be criticized by some for the fact that I WOULD listen to the students when their views differed from mine. And you're right in saying the student needs to bring it up for me to be able to talk about it. But, although I also have freedom of speech, my views are not the specific topic of the discussion. I also have a responsibility to be relatively neutral.

I was checking and i didn't see this point made so i'll make it now. Why is everyone so PO'd? I mean, they at least got the CHANCE to sign permission slips, what about the constant barrage by the major media about this prison situation? Where are OUR permission slips to see this crud? I mean, isn't it just as horrifying, or what?!! :P