Sign in to follow this  
BlueCrystal

Degra's Blood

What are the odds that the Enterprise would travel such a vast distance from the home world to encounter an alien that bleeds red blood? I understand that red blood color isn't just apart of being from Earth, and it may be found in other creatures in the universe, but I found it disappointing to see the red blood on the knives edge. I imagine then considering the shock value wouldn't have been so effective it Degra bled umm...say purple blood. Crystal

Edited by BlueCrystal

Yeah, I had the same feeling. When I saw the blood on the knife I thought "RED blood? Just like a human?" I was hoping they'd at least use a different shade of red.

AHEMMMM! And which other creatures in the Universe are you referring to exactly, BlueCrystal? :) :thumbs:

Guest Ktrek

Actually from a scientific standpoint it would probably be more unlikely to NOT have red blood. From a fantasy perspective it would have been more interesting if the blood had been some weird color.

Ktrek

Yep, Spock's blood-type was T-negative... Which is like the kind to the Rigellians, which according to the episode Cogenitor, has 4 to 5 genders.... Phlox couldn't remember which :thumbs:

Andorians have a bluish blood, as seen in Proving Ground when Archer punched Shran (of the Andorian Imperial Guard... Or the Andorian Mining Consortium [which ever story they've told you... :) ])....

And there's alot of other different colours to blood......

Kinda surprised to see that blood-colour from Degra though.....

But they may vary between the Xindi species....

lastresort.jpg42.gif

The Adventures of STF.net

Iron is one of the more abundent oxidizing metals so it would make sense for most species to have red blood.

The Klingons also have red blood (when it hits the air). Unless you are going to try to pick up every subtly of shade, which makes even less sense, then there are going to be repeats in the color of blood.

There has to be a reason for the color also. For instance, the Vulcans' blood is based on the element copper, rather than iron.

Obliviously the red blood was meant to show a closer physical tie between Humans and Xindi then we never imagined could exist... Despite all the differences in appearances the similarity of our blood makes us brothers.

This episode was pure Trek on so many different levels it boggles my imagination!

Well, we've always seen Worf's blood as red...

why not pink???

The pink Klingon blood in TUH was done to avoid an R rating. Perhaps, we should just assume it was red.

As for Degra's blood, that really isn't a big deal. I think it makes sense but it would have been cool if it was a different colour.

Just a side question: Bolians bleed blue don't they?

Obliviously the red blood was meant to show a closer physical tie between Humans and Xindi then we never imagined could exist... Despite all the differences in appearances the similarity of our blood makes us brothers.

This episode was pure Trek on so many different levels it boggles my imagination!

That was exactly what I was thinking when I read the title of this topic. I'm not sure why everyone else has a problem with the red blood. It isn't that unlikely. Most creatures on Earth have red blood. All the examples of green blood you used were purely fictional. The only colors of blood I've heard of in real life are red, black, and clear (lobsters have clear blood). So to say it should be red is silly. Besides, it's not like there are many colors in the rainbow. There is a one in 10ish chance blood would be red if the odds for any color were completely even which, due to the nature of chemicals and such... the odds aren't even.