Sign in to follow this  
Sam The Smuggler

Direct and Indirect Trek References

:sweatdrop: I suppose I should look into getting some indoor plumbing, too?

Eventually, but you also might think about retiring the horse and buggy for one of them thar new fangled "horseless carriages".

What!? Are you crazy! Give up the horse smell??

lol Well at least they're planning on building a Wal Mart up there in the next 10 years...

What's a Wal Mart?

A new kind of store where you can get all kinds of supplies for those 10 month winters.

Out here on the prairie we fend for ourselves. We don't need no stores.

You don't live in a Little House do you?

:sweatdrop: I suppose I should look into getting some indoor plumbing, too?

Eventually, but you also might think about retiring the horse and buggy for one of them thar new fangled "horseless carriages".

What!? Are you crazy! Give up the horse smell??

lol Well at least they're planning on building a Wal Mart up there in the next 10 years...

What's a Wal Mart?

A new kind of store where you can get all kinds of supplies for those 10 month winters.

Out here on the prairie we fend for ourselves. We don't need no stores.

You don't live in a Little House do you?

How did you know? Are you spying on me?

Yes, with the magical box that I have that lets me watch other people's lives... it's called the Tantalus Field... Look it up on Yahoo or Google if you're not sure what that is...

Yes, with the magical box that I have that lets me watch other people's lives... it's called the Tantalus Field... Look it up on Yahoo or Google if you're not sure what that is...

Why do I have a feeling I know where this is leading?

:sweatdrop: I don't know... :laugh:

Don't play the innocent card with me, I've known you too long.

Don't play the innocent card with me, I've known you too long.

lol Think of Spock with a goatee and that might spark your memory on the Tantalus Field.

Got this from memory alpha

The Aquabats

1.The Aquabats song "Meltdown!" from their 2005 album Charge!!, features the lyric, "I will go to work, just like Captain Kirk."

Banditos

The 1996 song "Banditos" by The Refreshments references TNG's Captain Jean-Luc Picard in a repeated verse:

Give your ID card to the border guard

Now your alias says you're Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Of the United Federation of Planets

Cause he won't speak English anyway.

Beastie Boys

Rap act The Beastie Boys' song Intergalactic features the lyric "...Like a pinch on the neck of Mr. Spock".

The song Ch-Check It Out also contains several references to Star Trek. Not only does the song contain the lyrics "All you trekkies and tv addicts..." and "All you klingons in your Grandma's house...", but the video also contains a homage to The Original Series, with the three members of the group dressed as Kirk, Spock and McCoy (I have actually seen the video for this and they also do the fight with those sticks which Kirk and Spock used on each other)

The chanuka Song

The Chanukah Song" is a popular holiday song written and performed by actor and comedian Adam Sandler. The song is comprised of a list of celebrities who, like Sandler, are Jewish, with the intent of comforting those who felt isolated during Chanukah by proving that there were others in the world who were also Jewish. Among those celebrities referenced in the first song (two more would follow) are Star Trek: The Original Series stars William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy,

"You don't need 'Deck the Halls' or 'Jingle Bell Rock'

"When you can spin a dreidel with Captain Kirk and Mister Spock –

Both Jewish!"

Futuristic sex Robotz

This band did a song called "The Positronic Pimp", extolling the successes of Data, which quotes "Ode to Spot" in response to the lyrics "What does the android have to say about his favorite (I'm trying to say a bad word but can't)?"

JBO

The German Comedy-Metal band "JBO" recorded two songs as a tribute to Star Trek on their Record "Laut!" in 1997: "Sound Trek" and "Star Treck".

Translated, the chorus of the latter one means:

Hurra! Hurra! I fly with Picard

I am so Lucky to fly with Jean Luc (which rhymes perfectly in the original song)

"Sound Trek" was a parody based on the German version of the series' intro:

Der Weltall... unendliche Breiten. Dies sind die Abenteuer der Rockband JBO, die sich auf den Weg macht, um fremde Mädchen zu entdecken, unbekannte Lebensformen ... und was ihnen sonst noch so über den Weg läuft. JBO trinkt dabei ein ... oder zwei... Bier, nicht?

OOKlA the Mok

In 2005, the band Ookla the Mok recorded a song using the lyrics from Data's poem for their album, Dave Lennon.

The Picard Song

The Picard Song is dance techno theme originally created by DarkMateria [1], which heavily utilizes Patrick Stewart's lines from Star Trek: The Next Generation, with the most heavily repeated line being "Captain Jean-Luc Picard of the USS Enterprise". The rest of the song consist of other Picard quotes: his speech about truth to Wesley Crusher in "The First Duty", his reference to a rambling professor in "Timescape", his recitation of a Shakespearean sonnet in "Ménage à Troi", the words "Darmok and Jilad at Tanagra" and "There are four lights!", and his conversation with Hugh in "I, Borg".

Red Hot Chilli Peppers

The Red Hot Chilli Peppers song "Californication" mentions that "Space maybe the final frontier but it's made in a Hollywood basement."

Star Trek Rhapsody

"Star Trek Rhapsody" is a parody of Queen's song "Bohemian Rhapsody". This song is often incorrectly associated with "Weird Al" Yankovic, but it is actually from a group known as Hillman Morning Show and was written and voiced by the show's co-host Kevin Barbare. Several music videos for the song, including one by the original performer, are widely available on the internet.

Star Trekkin

In 1987, a group called "The Firm" released "Star Trekkin'", a comedy single based on the Original Series. The song was #1 for two weeks in the UK singles charts. The video featured 'stop motion' animated versions of the cast of the Original Series.

The song's lyrics are made up of parodies or deliberately funny readings of famous lines from the Original Series. For example, the song's chorus includes the line: "Boldy going forward, 'cause we can't find reverse."

Voltaire

Voltaire, the Dark Cabaret/Darkwave artist, released an EP called Banned on Vulcan. It was comprised entirely of parodies of various aspects of the Star Trek universe.

Warp 11

Warp 11 is a rock band that performs humorous songs inspired by Star Trek, with sometimes profane and sexual-related lyrics. They are comprised of four members: "Captain" Karl Miller (lead vocalist and bassist), "Chief Medical Officer" Jeff Hewitt (drummer), "Chief Engineer" Brian Moore (guitarist), and "Chief Science Officer" Kiki Stockhammer (vocalist). The male band members wear torn, short-sleeve versions of the TOS-style Starfleet uniforms.

Warp 11 has released four albums since 2000:

Suck My Spock (2000)

Red Alert (2002)

Boldly Go Down on Me (2005)

He's Dead, Jim (2007)

We didn't start the series

This song, sung to the tune of "We Didn't Start The Fire" by Billy Joel, was used on local television affiliates during the original run of Star Trek: The Next Generation, to promote the series.

Jean Luc,

Geordi's Specs,

Mysteries on the Holodecks

Asteroids,

Triple Droids,

Telepathic Betazoids

Transporter

Deadly Claw

Visitor from L.A. Law

Photons,

No Kirk,

Captain who has gone berserk

Shuttlecraft,

Counselor Troi,

Doctor Crusher's little boy

Klingon Rites,

Parasites,

New Heights,

Phaser Fights,

Data's Head,

Tasha's Dead,

Riker's Hangin' by a thread

Celebration,

Transformation,

Everyone to battle stations

We didn't start the series,

It's the Next Generation

on your favorite station

We didn't start the series,

But when we are gone it will

still be on and on and on...

We didn't start the series...

Weird Al Yankovic

"Weird Al", the Prince of Parody, has parodied on Star Trek several times in his songs. Some verified references include:

"...Suddenly I'm bowling on the Starship Enterprise..."

Song: "Stuck In A Closet With Vanna White"

Album: Even Worse

"...A local radio station had this contest to see who could correctly guess the number of molecules in Leonard Nimoy's butt."

Song: "Albuquerque"

Album: Running With Scissors

"...I'm not even welcome at the Star Trek convention..."

Song: "Genius In France"

Album: Poodle Hat

"Tell Me Why, I Bid On Shatner's Old Toupee..."

Song: "eBay"

Album: Poodle Hat

"...Seen each Star Trek eighty times..."

Song: "Gee, I'm A Nerd"

Album: Tour song, never released

"Your homemade Star Trek uniform / Really ain't impressin' me"

Song: "You're Pitiful"

Album: Straight Outta Lynwood

"I'm fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon." and "Only question I ever thought was hard was 'Do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?'"

Song: "White & Nerdy"

Album: Straight Outta Lynwood

Additionally, in the music video for this song, the last shot is of Weird Al performing the Vulcan salute.

Stone Trek

This is here at www.stonetrek.com that parodies TOS and the Flintstones.

I've got another one! :superhappy:

In "Half Moon Investigations" by Eoin Colfer, it says (on pages 180-181):

"Whoopee!" screamed the other girls.

April winced. "I've been thinking about that. Whoopee is a bit too Shona for me."

"It's on her second CD," said May, starting to sing. "Whoopee, look at me."

April plowed on. "So instead of whoopee, could we say Wonderful? Or Affirmative? I saw that on Star Trek."

"On the one where the thing's head explodes?"

"No, May. On the one where they couldn't find enough stuff to power the thing."

"I loved that one."

"Me, too. At least we can agree on something. Now to business."

Also, on page 267:

"Fletcher, what are you saying?" May had pushed her way on to the stage. With her dance costume, blond hair, and wobbling lip, she looked the picture of innocence. I would have less trouble convincing a trekkie that Spock was an impulsive hothead.

Pardon my penchant for children's literature...but I love Eoin Colfer. :thumbs:

Diana

Edited by savagediana

The friends clips were great I used to have the full series on DVD and can only remember the one with the encyclopedias lol

A rerun of ''Everybody Loves Raymond'', old sudicated ep....Ray is about to check his daughter's temp with an ear thermometer. To Debra:''Should I set this on stun?''

It should come as no surprise, but the new Futurama movie has some Star Trek references, like when Lela is holding the leech like creature at the beginning she mentions that they are not as cute as Tribbles. I bet most of us are Futurama fans and have already seen it. I liked the part in Benders Game when George Takei's floating head starship rams Bacula's floating head starship, and he says (If I remember correctly) "Thanks for ruining the franchise!"

Was listening to a Classic Rock station this afternoon, when a TOS audio clip came on, ''This is Captain James T. Kirk of the Starship Enterprise. Please identify yourself''...

As I ref'd vaguely before in 'Spot the Star Trek Star'' Clint ''Balok'' ('Corbomite Maneuver') appears on 'Fringe'' and his character therein references Khan, as does series reg Joshua Jackson in a conversation with Clint's character, and the former mentions the Romulans-which really takes the fellow off in a direction...in which he speaks of them invading from the future...and that he is 'Spock, Son of Sarek'! You can't get more Trek-ref(or sneak in a handy ST11 ref) than that!!

I was watching the movie 'Bicentennial Man' with Robin Williams last weekend; there is a scene, in which his character, a robot gradually becoming more and more human-and not just psycho-emotionally-goes to visit the daughter of the woman who loved him as a friend since childhood...the apartment number is 'B4'...hmmm.....

I was watching the movie 'Bicentennial Man' with Robin Williams last weekend; there is a scene, in which his character, a robot gradually becoming more and more human-and not just psycho-emotionally-goes to visit the daughter of the woman who loved him as a friend since childhood...the apartment number is 'B4'...hmmm.....

I would chalk that up to coincidence as Nemesis came out three years after Bicentennial Man (almost to the day actually).

Was watching an old ep of ''King of the Hill'', syndication, and Bobby, who has taken part of a quiz-bowl team as a pop-culture expert, fields the question, ''Who is not a Starfleet captain-Picard, Janeway, or Data?''.And, of course, he gets it right!...

Was watching the film ''Last Run'' with Armand Assante, and Jurgen Prochnow(''Dune'' by David Lynch) about an ex-CIA operative, where a young agent, in a talk with his boss about the fall of Communism, says, of the time, ''When I was nineteen, the Berlin Wall just came down, and I was thinking exclusively about Star Trek''....

I just read "Angels and Demons." At one point, when discussing antimatter, the main character, Robert Langdon, ask, "Isn't antimatter what powers the starship Enterprise?"

In today's comic strip of La Cucaracha by Lalo Alcaraz

There is a line of costumed actors lined up in front of the Sci-Fi Unemployment Office

by a sign that says Please wait here. You see a scowling chubby man in a Star Trek uniform, Darth Vader, Yoda, The Terminator and the Robot from Lost in Space.

Outside the Office is the Taco Guy with his cart. Behind him is a lettered sign that

reads: ALL YOU CAN EAT TACOS (Not you, Shatner)

I laughed for about three minutes straight!

I was reading my book "Chariots for Apollo" which is about the making if the Lunar Modules for the Apollo program. In it, the writer was speaking of Jesco Von Puttkamer and his role in the design of the LM and that he was in a hurry to finish his work one night so he could get home to watch his favorite TV show... Star Trek.