Sign in to follow this  
Sam The Smuggler

Direct and Indirect Trek References

If you check out the "Famous Known or Suspected Trek Fans" list you will see a lot of cartoonists on it. I think all of them have made a Trek reference at one point.

Bloom County was filled with Trek references including having a number of characters pretending to be Trek characters. Here's an example:

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Monty (and its predecesor Robot Man) has lots of Trek references. I've seen Trek references in so many I can't remember them all.

Edited by Takara_Soong

i know that earlier this year their was a comic tribute to james doohan. and i think the comic close to home may have done something before.

tm :(

I don't know if we have a pinned topic somewhere to post all the ST references we see on other programs but here's another I thought I'd share.

Friday night's SG1 involved "multiverses" different universes with different versions of SG1 - Col Mitchell was talking with one of his alternate selves about a disagreement and said "You dont' have beards - so you're not from the evil twin universe"

I don't watch SG1, but this does raise a good question... Is there a main topic for ST references?

I was watching CBS' Criminal Minds last night and there was a reference to Trek in a conversation between two of the characters - Morgan (played by Shelmar Moore) and Reid (played by Matthew Gray Gubler). Reid had obviously not slept well and Morgan was asking him what had kept him awaking, offering three choices. The last choice was watching Trek and laughing at the physics mistakes. Reid replied that there were no physics mistakes in Star Trek, saying how good the science was although there were a some unproven areas (not his word, I can't remember what he said exactly) but no actual mistakes.

Edited by Takara_Soong

I was watching Law & Order: Criminal Intent tonight and there was a Trek reference in it.

Detective Barek (Annabella Sciorra) was interrogating a murder suspect named Reinhardt (Julian Sands) with his lawyer present. She made a few observations which Reinhardt agreed with. When she made a third comment the lawyer stopped her saying "Enough with the Vulcan mind meld..."

As a side note, Alice Krige played the mother of the victim who was

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

I saw one in South Park last night, it was the episode was when Jesus fights Satan

Stan: Did you not once say don't be a great man just be a man.

Jesus: Stan you're right.

Kyle: Did jesus really say that.

Stan: No I got it from Star trek

Edited by mowzer

There are a couple in Robin Williams new movie RV.

The horn for the RV is the beginning of the Star Trek theme and when Robin Willaims goes to pull out the first time, he says "Make it so, Number One".

tonight on a local t.v show called thank god your here, (the actors are forced to improvise a skit with nothing but their wits and a bunch of actors that know what they are doing) they made one of the actors do a star trek skit with an evil emperor in it??? they had tng uniforms and simliar consoles

The episode of NCIS that was on this evening had a scene were Tony DiNozzo asked Ziva David if she was going to use a "Vulcan death grip" on him. The same episode had Connor Trineer and Tim Russ as guests.

I was reading a cheap romance novel earlier, and it was talking about the girl being from a different galaxy than the guy, and even if there WERE still feelings there, she "drove a bronco, not the USS Enterprise"

I was reading a cheap romance novel earlier, and it was talking about the girl being from a different galaxy than the guy, and even if there WERE still feelings there, she "drove a bronco, not the USS Enterprise"

I recently read a couple of fantasy novels that had Trek references in them. One was in the Anita Blake series by Laurell K. Hamilton and the other, I think, was in the Rachel Morgan series by Kim Harrison. It didn't surprise me to see references in a Laurell K. Hamilton book since she wrote the Trek novel Nightshade (TNG No 24).

There must be a writer on the NCIS writing staff that is a Trek fan. In the Halloween episode that was on Tuesday the folks from NCIS arrive at a Halloween party to pick up a suspect in a child abduction (he didn't do it) and the guy was wearing a really great Klingon costume. When Gibbs tried talking to the guy at the party the guy was speaking Klingon and McGee was translating. When asked McGee said he did speak Klingon but not fluently.

Edited by Takara_Soong

I've just been reading a book ("The Gun Seller") written by Hugh Laurie (yes, of "House, M.D."--and I love and adore him) in 1996. Near the beginning of Chapter 7 (pp. 97-8), it says:

"It was after midnight and there wasn't much traffic on the Embankment. The road was dry and the ZZR needed a gallop, so I eased open the throttle in third gear and replayed some lines of Captain Kirk to Mr Chekhov in my head as the universe rearranged itself around my back wheel."

It's a fantastic book and all of you should read it. :frusty:

I am now reading a book called No Rest For The Wicked by Kresley Cole in which one of the main characters calls home and her sister answers it by saying "Bridge. Uhura here".

In a book I've just been reading for a class, "Holy Cow: An Indian Adventure" by Sarah MacDonald, it says (on page 101, and pardon the censored language):

"I fall instantly in love with a house modeled on the starship Enterprise--the huge living room is dominated by a wooden bar, three revolving chairs and a set of huge curved windows displaying a Milky Way of splattered bird ****. In warp speed we tell the agent we'll take it, but he rings the next day saying the owner will not let non-Indians pollute his property."

Mod Note: Just fixed your code.

Edited by Takara_Soong

I know I keep posting these... But here's another one...

There's a song by the Barenaked Ladies called "Grade 9." One of the verses goes like this:

Well, half my friends are crazy and the others are depressed

And none of them can help me study for my math test.

I got into the classroom and my knowledge was gone;

I guess I should've studied instead of watching Wrath of Khan.

Heehee. :assimilated:

Beastie Boys have a lot of trek references in their songs, the video for Ch-Check It Out has two of them fighting like Kirk and Spock from Amok Time.

This hasn't been put here but I think there was a topic about it a while ago but in the 200th episode of stargate sg-1 there was a star trek bit that was really funny.

I've been reading paranormal/fantasy-type books for some time (ok, ok, a lot of them are romances) and have posted references to Trek that I've found in a number of them. I'm currently reading a book called The Undead Next Door by Kerrelyn Sparks. The main vampire in this story is named Jean-Luc Echarpe but he is trying to pass as himself off as being the son of Jean-Luc Echarpe so people don't notice he hasn't aged. He's told the main female to call him Jean for that reason.

"Good night, Jean-Luc."

"Jean."

"Whatever." She hurried into the foyer. She much preferred the name Jean-Luc. It made him sound like a starship captain, but young. And with hair. "If you need anything from the kitchen, just help yourself."

There have been other Trek references in her book but this one made me laugh out loud.

Edited by Takara_Soong

CSI had a really good one a couple of weeks ago - they found a couple of victims who had green blood - you see what's coming don't you?

In a conversation between two recurring character lab workers the one makes a reference to Spock on what causes green blood - which was wrong. The other tech jumps on it and corrects him with very accurate Trek history.

CSI had a really good one a couple of weeks ago - they found a couple of victims who had green blood - you see what's coming don't you?

In a conversation between two recurring character lab workers the one makes a reference to Spock on what causes green blood - which was wrong. The other tech jumps on it and corrects him with very accurate Trek history.

Yeah, I had to laugh when I saw that because I knew Amy would end up seeing it and realizing that Trek really does rule all of TV.

Yeah, I had to laugh when I saw that because I knew Amy would end up seeing it and realizing that Trek really does rule all of TV.

:laugh: It does not!

:laugh: It does not!

How many "Trekisms" did you know before watching any Star Trek?