Sign in to follow this  
Stelfan

Dr. Bashir

How do you all felt when you learned that Julian was genetically enhanced? I wish I had never seen the episode, I can't quite look at him the same way..

I don't really know why but it doesn't feel like he is human anymore, I don't enjoy seeing him do a good job the same way.

What are your opionions?

I had no problems after finding out that he was genetically engineered. I found him to be no less human. The genetic enhancements are not something that is less human, it is just different, to me it is not much different than any other person, in a sense we all use selective breeding in a sense as we choose to mate with individuals that have qualities that we are attracted to.

I thought it enhanced his character greatly. Made it more interesting, and more "human". He wasn't perfect by any means, so when he did something really great we understood why. But when he messed up it showed that even he could screw things up.

It was a bit upsetting at first, but I got over it. It really did help change and add to his character though.

It didn't bother me that Julian was genetically enhanced, although I do understand why it has been banned in the Federation-the speech Admiral so-and-so makes at the end of that episode makes perfect sense to me. For every Julian, there's a Khan.

I think the whole plotline would have bothered me if Julian had used his enhanced capabilities to lord himself over the others. But he tried so hard to be just one of the crew-he worked hard and fought hard and did everything he could for the others. He was kept human through it all.

It was a bit upsetting at first, but I got over it.  It really did help change and add to his character though.

I will probably get over it as well, I just watched the episode last night.. :lol:

The fact that he was genetically enhanced didn't bother me at all, it was the reactions he got from other people that bothered ME. Obviously it was his parents decision to do it and had nothing to do with Julian. He had some sort of deficiency and they fixed it. For him to be ridiculed for the rest of his life for something he had no control over is just ignorant and cruel, much like prejudice is today. It s u c k S. Everybody has something they have to deal with. Just leave the poor guy alone. We are all different in one way or another. Thank God :lol:

I never said that I blamed Julian, and neither that I think anything is wrong with him.. I just have a hard time enjoying it when he does something good, it just doesn't feel fair when he hasn't had the same basic conditions as everyone else. Am I making any sense?

Well, I'm hoping the feeling will pass when I watch some more episodes.

I cannot say I was not suprised when I found out,but I got over it.

He isnt my favorite character on DS9 but I have to say this discovery brought him pretty close since I allways like characters that are different from everyone else like Data,Odo and now Julian.

That's a good question. I admit it bothered me as well. I think it particularly bothered me that he would have been borderline incompetent without "enhancement". It's funny I was just reading an article about the potential for genetic enhancement on another website before I clicked on this thread.

I think barring genetically enhanced individuals from Star Fleet was a bit extreme. I think it should depend on the individual.

Maybe it influenced my opinion of him a little but the things that matter like staying on DS9 during the war and risking his life for his patients and fellow crewmen were not genetically enhanced decisions.

After finding out about Julian's enhancements, I enjoyed watching previous episodes and thinking "Oh Julian, we know your secret."

I thought it enhanced his character greatly. Made it more interesting, and more "human". He wasn't perfect by any means, so when he did something really great we understood why. But when he messed up it showed that even he could screw things up.

Hi there :dude:

I liked the interaction between O'Brien and Julian in 'Dr Bashir, I Presume' after O'Brien discovered Julian was genetically enhanced. O'Brien said:

"Your not a fraud. I don't care how many enhancements your parents had done. Genetic recoding can't give you ambition or a personality or compassion or any of the things that make a person truly human"

O'Brien saw past his genetically enhanced background and accepted him for his natural human attributes, rather than the 'modified' ones he had been given.

I thought Julian's parents were very selfish, wanting a 'perfect' son when they realised the son they had was less than perfect in their opinion. I strongly disagree with people having procedures performed on them without their consent and this happened to Julian. They decided that he was a failure in the first grade - they didn't even give him a chance to succeed in anything.

So obviously, I didn't agree with the reasons for Julian's genetic enhancements but on the other hand, it made his character more interesting. I liked the way O'Brien still agreed to play darts with him, even though he knew Julian could beat him without even trying.

Madam Captain out!!

Hi there :unsure:

I liked the interaction between O'Brien and Julian in 'Dr Bashir, I Presume' after O'Brien discovered Julian was genetically enhanced. O'Brien said:

"Your not a fraud. I don't care how many enhancements your parents had done. Genetic recoding can't give you ambition or a personality or compassion or any of the things that make a person truly human"

O'Brien saw past his genetically enhanced background and accepted him for his natural human attributes, rather than the 'modified' ones he had been given.

I thought Julian's parents were very selfish, wanting a 'perfect' son when they realised the son they had was less than perfect in their opinion. I strongly disagree with people having procedures performed on them without their consent and this happened to Julian. They decided that he was a failure in the first grade - they didn't even give him a chance to succeed in anything.

So obviously, I didn't agree with the reasons for Julian's genetic enhancements but on the other hand, it made his character more interesting. I liked the way O'Brien still agreed to play darts with him, even though he knew Julian could beat him without even trying.

Madam Captain out!!

They were not selfish, they could see that even then he was struggling and that he would never be able to live a truley happy life as he was. It was not an easy decision for his parents but because of their love for him they did what was best for him, and it was the best thing for him. Had his parents waited 1) Julian himself would have probably had doubts about the procedure and not gone through with it and 2) his genetic enhancement would no doubt have been discovered much quicker, before he could prove his worth to StarFleet. Yes the procedure was without Julian's consent (NOT the same thing as against his will) but it was the best thing for him, he was happy with his life and I doubt he would have been so happy or so contend without the genetic re-development.

I have a mental handicap that does make my life harder then normal and I do not know whether I would be happier had my parents changed that when I was younger. I don't think that we can judge Julian's parent's decision, I'm sure very few people here would know what it would be like for them to see their child struggle with life and know that his life will always be a struggle, every single day. I know I can't.

It just gave me another view on him...

Whether to believe that all his acheivements...

Yes or no...

But youi know..

You can't argue...

Genetics isn't everything...

Guest Guest

Hi there :laugh:

Madam Captain out!!

They were not selfish, they could see that even then he was struggling and that he would never be able to live a truley happy life as he was. It was not an easy decision for his parents but because of their love for him they did what was best for him, and it was the best thing for him. Had his parents waited 1) Julian himself would have probably had doubts about the procedure and not gone through with it and 2) his genetic enhancement would no doubt have been discovered much quicker, before he could prove his worth to StarFleet. Yes the procedure was without Julian's consent (NOT the same thing as against his will) but it was the best thing for him, he was happy with his life and I doubt he would have been so happy or so contend without the genetic re-development.

I have a mental handicap that does make my life harder then normal and I do not know whether I would be happier had my parents changed that when I was younger. I don't think that we can judge Julian's parent's decision, I'm sure very few people here would know what it would be like for them to see their child struggle with life and know that his life will always be a struggle, every single day. I know I can't.

Hi there :blink:

I believe that we are all entitled to our own opinion and I respect your opinion but I have to say, I disagree with you about Julian's parents not being selfish. While it was their choice to have their son genetically enhanced and it allowed Julian to succeed, it was highly illegal. Even if they had waited for Julian to reach an age where he could make that decision for himself, it was still an illegal procedure. I believe that Julian's parents had him genetically enhanced only because they wanted 'the perfect son'. I don't think they really considered how his genetic enhancements would affect him later in life. So I think Julian's parents were being selfish in that way but on the other hand, they did actually help him to achieve greatness. As I said before, I don't agree with medical procedures being performed on people without their consent and this is my biggest gripe with this situation.

However, if Julian wasn't geneticall enhanced, I'm sure he would have learnt to deal with his handicap. Many people with handicaps are able to lead relatively normal lives (as you would know) and the 24th century is a very accepting time in history.

Madam Captain out!

I liked Dr bashir. I think that he was one of those guys that had alot to offer and was begging to be let loose

The fact that her geneticly enhanced is very cool..But it was Nurture ..Not the enhancment

that made him who he was

Julian cool always at right spot..To say don't know much about ds9 just that its space station in middle of know where...With lots of adventures and neat dr..

He was a great character and i didn't mind at al.

Infact it really helped the story and they made a few great episodes about it

JULIAN ROCKS!!! :naughty:

i thought it was a great idea

Click For Spoiler
and i especially liked those wonderful characters that came from this

If my son were struggling in school and having developmental difficulties and there was a procedure that we could have done to him to enhance his mind and physical capabilities, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I think Julian's parents were acting in the best interests of their child ... it would be heartbreaking to watch your child struggle with things that were coming easily to other children. I say if the technology is there to fix the problems we have, then why not use it?

I liked Julian after we found out about his genetic altering. He was really cool and much more interesting after that. At least to me.

At first, I really didn't like Bashir's character...But the more I watched him with his friendship with O'Brien and Garak, the more I liked him...

Finding out he was genetically engineered also lead me to be more interested in his character. I felt I had more respect for him since he knew a lot more than he let on...It was an interesting twist for his character.

i thought it was a great idea

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «
and i especially liked those wonderful characters that came from this

I agree whole-heartedly! I only recently found out, at age 45, that, on top of the epilepsy incurred from an accident at age 17, that I have also been beating my head against the wall of two learning disabilities that, when I was a girl, they couldn't have diagnosed. I've spent my whole life feeling stupid, bad, flawed and lazy and constantly called so by others, suffering ruined relationships, etc. and never being able to accomplish the potential of an actually pretty decent IQ and tons of creativity. I never had a chance! But, with the help of all the medical profession has learned in the past two decades about the brain and about neurobiological disorders, new medications, and a counselor who won't let me se myself as a victim but as a conqueror of these disabilities, my life has finally bloomed into something beautiful. I'm going back to college and I hope that I can help other people with what's left of my time in this universe. I would've given much to have had some miracle genetic enhancement when I was young! Yes, I've learned a lot from battling these disabilities, but have also endured horrible depression and self-pity that benefitted no one. I wish I could've used that time to do more good and creative things with my life! Perhaps, in Heaven, God will explain the necessity of this struggle, but I can honestly say that I would've given my child genetic enhancements if I saw them struggling as I did. Love to all, Siddigfan :laugh: