Sign in to follow this  
Lt. Evans

Best Star Trek Movie?

Which is the best Star Trek movie?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the best Star Trek movie?

• Star Trek: The Motion Picture
    • Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
    • Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
    • Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
    • Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
    • Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
    • Star Trek VII: Generations
    • Star Trek VIII: First Contact
    • Star Trek IX: Insurrection
    • Star Trek X: Nemesis

I voted for TWOK... It was hard to choose between 1st Contact and TWOK. I like all the TOS movies except teh motion Picture. Mebbe cos its ... well, the special effects weren't that good at that time. The TNG movies... they are OK but 1st COntact was good. I also love the 1st Con. soundtrack.

One thing that seperates TOS movies from TNG movies is that you can always count on Bones and Spock to make you laugh.

I had to go with Undiscovered Country. One, for the Shakespeare reference, and two because Nick Meyer directed it. TWOK was number two for me, go figure. Go Nick! Will someone please call him!?!

As of now, my favorites are (starting with most favorite to least):

Wrath of Khan - Khan vs. Kirk, Spock's death scene, creatures in the ears, etc.

The Voyage Home - completes trilogy, great humor, there be Whales here!

The Undiscovered Country - Sheakespearean quotes, Great direction and story

First Contact - Best TNG movie

Search For Spock - underated movie, destruction of the Enterprise

Generations - last hurrah for TOS crew

The Motion Picture - good sci fi story, started the movie franchise, slow in spots

then there were

Insurrection - ok

Nemesis - a few good parts, would rather forget, thought it might kill the franchise

The Final Frontier - poorly written & directed, silly, feared it would kill the franchise

would rather forget

The Wrath Of.....KHAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!

;)  :blink:  :rolleyes:

319214[/snapback]

I agree with you 100% Love that movie! :)

Best Star Trek Movie "TOS"- "TNG"!

==========================

1.ST VI:TUC

2.ST TMP

3.ST II:TWOK

4.ST III:TSFS

5.ST IV:TVH

6.ST V:TFF

7.ST:Generations

8.ST:FC

9.ST:Insurrection

10.ST:Nemesis

---------------------------

:rolleyes: :) ;) :blink:

Edited by LoveMalePecs1

I am stuck between Wrath of Kahn, and Nemesis

I love them Both

Good Villans in both of them I think

Classic TOS Movies!

---------------------------

1.ST:TUC

2.ST:TMP

3.ST:TWOK

4.ST:TSFS

5.ST:TVH

6.TFF

=======================

TNG Movies!

---------------------

7.ST:Generations

8.ST:FC

9.ST:INS

10.ST:Nemesis

:yahoo: :blink: :clap::look:

It was First Contact with Voyage Home close behind. I'm not adding TMP because I've yet to see it.

Star Trek VIII: First Contact

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home

Star Trek X: Nemesis

Star Trek VII: Generations

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

Star Trek IX: Insurrection

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

Right now my favorite Star Trek movie is Generations. :) I liked it for the smooth transition from one generation to the next, and also for the sheer comedic value that presented itself every now and then. Data getting his emotion chip and learning to deal with the new sensations never ceases to amuse me. After Generations, I like Insurrection and then First Contact. I'm resisting seeing Nemesis until I've seen more of the TNG episodes. I've read a lot of comments about it, and the movie sounds very "final" for that particular series. I'd rather see more of the beginning before witnessing the (possible?) end. :laugh:

One day I will probably get into TOS and get around to seeing those movies as well. :yahoo:

That's a depressing fact for me to realize, because even though TNG has been around for a long time, it's all new to me.

I'm thinking about watching Nemesis anyway, because I suppose it wouldn't make too much of a difference. Also because Brent Spiner had contributed to the story himself, and that interests me further of course.

I would get the entire series on dvd, but last time I checked it looked very pricey. At this time I just can't do it, unfortunately.

One day I will probably get into TOS and get around to seeing those movies as well

Good. Then you will finally see what some truly great Trek movies look like.

Which is your favourite? I'm gonna have to go with 'The Undiscovered Country' purely because General Chang was soooo cool.

197975[/snapback]

I voted for Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

This film has gotten a lot of razzing over the years, and I don't think that's really fair. I've often heard people complain that the biggest problem with it is that its simply too slow. That certainly seems true in the post-MTV cultural environment that has enabled films like Armageddon to succeed while genuinely great science fiction films have languished (like Dark City did).

I feel that ST:TMP is the best for a few reasons. First, it is the only Star Trek film that really stands on its own and succeeds by its own merits. For all the accolades people give ST2, I cannot agree with them. ST2 is doubtless a great action film that out does even the best efforts of George Lucas, but in the end it is an action film and such films cannot really be as enjoyable on repeat viewings as something more cerebral. ST:TMP is great for the same reason 2001: A Space Odyssey is great. Because it is a film that reaches for transcendence and dares to explore questions that are actually worth asking: Who are we? Do we make God in our own image? What do we mean when e say the word "human" exactly?

Most people forget that when the late 70's had rolled around, science fiction was still a genre with few cinematic gems. Star Wars? Sure it made a ton of money, but so what? Lots of films have made money that were terrible (Scooby Doo 2 anyone?)...just because a film makes bank doesn't mean its any good. I tend to think Star Wars is such a film: over rated, badly directed, derivative.* In my judgement Star Wars was blown away for good in 1979 by two films: the aforementioned Star Trek:TMP, and Alien (Dir. Ridley Scott).

The new DVD addresses some minor errors and cleans up a couple of key F/X shots so now it is possible to actually see V'Ger in full view.

*Lucas pretty much stole every good idea in Star Wars from the legend of King Arthur (the Arthur/Merlin relationship is mirrored in the Luke/Obi-Wan characters) and Frank Herbert's "Dune".

I will now rate every Trek movie from my first to least favorite:

Star Trek VIII: First Contact

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home

Star Trek X: Nemesis

Star Trek VII: Generations

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

Star Trek IX: Insurrection

Star Trek: The Motion Picture

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

Complete! :eekout:

Edited by sea trooper

Well, I voted for "Insurrection". I also loved FC and the TOS movies, but on my opinion Insurrection represents the part of Star Trek, I love most. There are good fights in Insurrection, good characters, a very good background story and apart from the very serious issues (genocide etc.) it is still an enjoyable movie. I like the planet where it takes place.

But what I like most is the realistic (as realistic as ST can be) part of the movie, the fact, that even during the 24th century humanity is still weak and that there always have to be people who pay attention. The philosophy behind Picards actions is impressive. Before Insurrection I had the feeling that the Star Trek movies were always too much about getting good quotes, but ignoring the philosophy of Star Trek. And especially TNG had always high ethical demand - which didn't really become significant during Generations and FC.

My choice in this poll was Wrath of khan :flowers:

My top 10

1.Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

2.Star Trek X: Nemesis

3.Star Trek III: The Search for Spock

4.Star Trek IX: Insurrection

5.Star Trek: The Motion Picture

6.Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home

7.Star Trek VIII: First Contact

8.Star Trek VII: Generations

9.Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

10.Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

I'll be honest and say that I haven't seen all of them (particularly the more recent ones) but I've been a fan of The Wrath of Khan since childhood so I went with that.