Sign in to follow this  
starsinmyeyes

Celestial Events-comets,eclipses,meteor Showers...

I thought I would put a thread here to advertise celestial events and add details to let everyone know.

Feel free to add events for both the southern and northern hemisphere. Make sure you add dates, universal time or specify which local time you are using. Also include safe viewing tips and any tips which will make the event worthwhile.

For information on safe solar viewing follow these links:Pinhole Projector

Binocular Projection

First of all:

27 April, 2004 Northern Hemisphere:

Comet Bradfield is visible in the eastern horizon at the moment just before dawn. Visible in binoculars- reportedly tail 10 degrees and rose coloured. Sky map included in spoiler.

Click for Spoiler:

skymap_north2.gif

5th May 2004 Southern Hemisphere:

There is a Total Lunar Eclipse visible for all af Australia in the early hours of Wednesday May 5th. The eclipse lasts from 4.48 am -8.12 am AEST. Totality lasts from 5.52 am to 7.08 am. For most parts of Australia the moon sets before the end of the eclipse.

Eastern Australia

Eclipse begins 4.48 am, Totality begins 5.52 am, Totality ends 7.08 am, Eclipse ends 8.12 am (local time).

South Australia/Northern Australia

Eclipse begins 4.18 am, Totality begins 5.22 am, Totality ends 6.38 am, Eclipse ends 7.42am (local time)

Western Australia

Eclipse begins 2.48 am, Totality begins 3.52 am, Totality ends 5.08 am, Eclipse ends 6.12am (local time)

Moonset Times

Adelaide 7.02 am

Brisbane 6.19 am

Canberra 6.48 am

Darwin 7.00 am

Hobart 7.12 am

Melbourne 7.11 am

Perth 7.02 am

Sydney 6.37 am

Transit of Venus across the sun- 8th June 2004 (Venus passes in front of the sun) This last happened 1882. This was also the event viewed by Lieutenant James Cook in 1769 when he sailed to Tahiti to record the event. After viewing the event he continued on his journey to discover the unknown south continent and discovered New Zealand and New South Wales (Australia). The transit will be best seen in Europe, Asia, and most of Africa. In Australia we will see the beginning of the transit only. For people in New Zealand the sun will set before the transit begins.

Transit begins: sunset

Adelaide 2.38 pm 5.11 pm

Brisbane 3.07 pm 5.00 pm

Canberra 3.08 pm 4.58 pm

Darwin 2.39 pm 6.28 pm

Hobart 3.08 pm 4.43 pm

Melbourne 3.08 pm 5.07 pm

Perth 1.10 pm 5.19 pm

Sydney 3.07 pm 4.53 pm

The transit can be viewed following the safe solar viewing techniques I posted in previous posts about this year's solar eclipse.Pinhole Projection and Binocular viewing or using a telescope with a properly fitted solar filter on the objective (major) lens not the eyepiece.

For everyone around the world; it may pay to do a search and see if lunar eclipse and venus transit times are posted. ENJOY!

Edited by starsinmyeyes

Comet Bradfield is also visible in the SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE as well. Visible in the pre-dawn sky in the direction of the sun rise at about 3 am-5.30 am. You will find the comet within on hand length of horizon (with arm stretched at full length) in the direction of the sunrise. Scan this area with the binoculars and hopefully you will see the comet. If you can't find the comet, try to scan higher, lower or further along than you think.

The tail is a good 10-15 degrees long with the head of the comet a bright bluish-white. Hope everyone gets to see this one. It is spectacular!

I had a RAINBOW in my shower yesterday, does that count? :blink:

you have venus forming n eclipe of the sun...

I forgot the date though..

Sorry Guys. The comet visible in the morning sky through binoculars in the Southern Hemisphere and Northern Hemisphere is Comet Linear. This little puppy got too excited! :laugh:

Southern Hemisphere and Northern Hemisphere can view Comet Neat 10 degrees above (southern hemisphere) and below (northern hemisphere) Procyon at the moment. Fuzzy spot visible by eye and great in binoculars.

Too bad it's a little too bright in the city too see :laugh:

Did anyone happen to watch the Transit of Venus?  We had a good view from here!

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hug: :blink:

It was beautiful!!! The conditions were perfect from where I was.

Venus Transist PhotosThis site's link I found and originally posted in one of my astronomy related threads over at Bodacious Freddy's (Data's message board that I mod at)

so I figured I would share it here too :laugh:

I have a couple of astronomy links posted in a links thread over at Freddy's as well, one of which is Astronomy.com's site.

This was an excellent idea for a thread starsinmyeyes. So, if I miss anything that was not posted at Astronomy's site or sent to me in an AOL alert(a cool AOL feature that will alert you to an Sky related event)...I can check here.

Edited by Yillara_Soong

Sorry Guys.  The comet visible in the morning sky through binoculars in the Southern Hemisphere and Northern Hemisphere is Comet Linear.   This little puppy got too excited!

*sigh* :laugh::hug: So not fair....

It is just I was reading an article in an issue of Astronomy, and it listed all of the great comets of the 20th & 21st centuries. It seemed like all the REALLY good ones are visible in the southern hemisphere. By the time they are visible in the N. Hemi. they are just fuzzy dots. Really good meaning, more than one in the last century were above a -5 magnitude. One of which was a -15 or -17 :) To see a comet with a beautiful tail in broad daylight must have been quite an amazing site.

True, the views here of Hyakutake & Hale Bopp were beyond awesome. Tail visible w/out telescope or binoculars...and truly beautiful in my 6" reflecting scope :blink:

As for LINEAR & NEAT, they were kind of a bust here.When it was not overcast or stormy here, they were kind of fuzzy, not very bright...and in order for me to see it better I needed my scope, but I did not use it because for me to get a clear view of that area of the sky I would have needed to put my scope in the middle of my street! Not a good idea at all, especially since my street is kind of dark(only one street light, well two the other is buried in trees), my scope is dark and a bit heavy to quickly be able to move(so someone driving might not see it very easily even if I am wearing light colored clothes, and some idiots like to drive in the neighborhood at high speeds with their lights off! Not safe at all.

But, I did find a pretty pic on a site of comet NEAT, and that is what my current avatar has been for a while :hug:

Edited by Yillara_Soong

I couldn't...

stupid clouds....

they covered the sky for the whole day... :laugh:

It was awful...

:blink: