Sign in to follow this  
Stelfan

Romulans Turning Good?

Romulans look a whole better when they were evil,That's one the parts I'm disappointed about the movie Nemesis. The romulans have been the Federation's enemy for a long time.

Lightning, you are so right. A Romulan-Federation alliance would ruin everything! I love the Romulans... exactly... the... way... they...are.

That really messes up a lot. But it has some basis to it. Maybe we'll see a federation ship with a cloaking device soon....

Well it would make sense for the Romulans to make temporary allies with the Feds, for their empire at this moment is in the fringes.

I don't think that anyone has pointed this out but according to 'Azati Prime' the Klingons have joined the Federation by the 26th century. The episode didn't mention the Romulans but Daniels probably couldn't tell Archer any more about them due to the forthcoming Romulan War.

As for the Romulans becoming allies, I think it may be inevitable. They were allies during the war and I think with the threat of the Borg, the Alpha Quadrant powers will forced to band together in order to survive. And if Azati Prime is any indication, the threat of the Sphere-builders will be equally as great. All these threats will easily lead to closer ties between the powers.

That really messes up a lot. But it has some basis to it. Maybe we'll see a federation ship with a cloaking device soon....

Umm, the federation DOES have a starship with a cloaking device, it's called the Defiant :P . And i also think the romulans will be a hold out at least till this war with the sphere builders, although i'd bet on it taking a little longer, knowing those green blooded, inhuman... hehehe

Well, it makes sense that the Romulans loosely ally with the Federation. It suits their needs, plain and simple. They know that the Dominion will attack the Federation first. Also, on the attack of the Founder's homeworld, the fleet of Tal Shiar warbirds were obliterated, making them less capable to defend themselves. This could be another reason why the fleet openly supported Shinzon's march on Romulus. Once again, it suited their needs. And in Nemesis, Donatra could have been correct when she said it was a matter of internal affairs, if the Romulans are based on both Communist China, and more importantly, the Roman Empire, Emperors were routinely executed.

I now i already gave my opinion but i want to add to it.

One of the main reasons why we will never join the federation is because the is to much political problems with the politics consantley changing so even if one does start procedures they might only last a few months and another party will come in. And whats stopping them from stopping the procedures.

Hope this made sense.

:tank: :tomcat: :tank:

<_<

I dont think the Romulans are turning good because I dont think all Romulans are bad. It's the people in charge that have to be watched carefully. I doubt the Romulans would join the Federation but a loose alliance isnt' out of the question. Going a bit further since the Romulan life span is about he same as a Vulcan's (200+) the defeat by earth is probably not that far in the past so they are still axe grinding because of it.

I think the Romulans act in their own self interests, just like the Federation. I don't think the Romulan Empire would ever be a part of the Federation but some time in the future one of it's allies perhaps, similiar to the alliance the Federation has with the Klingon Empire.

I thnk that Nemesis contains a lot of mistakes. however, I think that the Romulans- according to their name- are a sort of parody of the ancient Roman empire, therefore there are a lot of militars who try to have the control of the government. also the names- pretors- and the existence of a senate let us think that it could be this the explanation. I think that the Romulans play the part of the traditional enemies of the Federation and therefore it couldn't happen any union between them, but the Klingons were in the original series the most terrible enemies of the Federation and then in TNG they changed their point of view: it's an open question.

bye

Edited by star_rose

I don't think that the Romulans are turning good...just that the relationship with the Federation is evolving. I think the relationship will continue to evolve slowly, because often the Romulans are deceitful. It is hard for the Federation to know for sure where they stand ( like with Ambassador Spock's attempts). The relationship with the Klingons developed more rapidly because they are straight forward...you pretty much know where you stand with them.

Well its really hard to tell. The Romulans themselves are not bad, but their practices and Xenophobia of other species cause an undue arrogance. I doubt they will ever be a member of the Federation, for one reason and that is because they feel they are "endowed by gods" to rule the Galaxy (According to LUG) at least.

Orginally TOS, I saw Romulans with more of an asiatic influence (At least that is how it seemed) In TNG and DS9 however, they moved more towards the Roman and etc.

Nemesis...well that was a farce. I really don't see how Romulans would have ever let a Reman (A reman Human at all) to come to any power or generalship. Heh, in fact...I think they were trying to use the 'Kahn' type Enemy and 'Data' as Spock in STII. Its failed terribly. And I don't see why Romulans would mine much dilithium at that time...since their power cores are quantum singularities....

Just a thought :rolleyes:

Nemesis...well that was a farce.  I really don't see how Romulans would have ever let a Reman (A reman Human at all) to come to any power or generalship.  Heh, in fact...I think they were trying to use the 'Kahn' type Enemy and 'Data' as Spock in STII.  Its failed terribly.  And I don't see why Romulans would mine much dilithium at that time...since their power cores are quantum singularities....

Wow, perfectly stated, I agree completely. With your whole post but especially that part. *stands up and claps* <_<

Nemesis...well that was a farce.  I really don't see how Romulans would have ever let a Reman (A reman Human at all) to come to any power or generalship.  Heh, in fact...I think they were trying to use the 'Kahn' type Enemy and 'Data' as Spock in STII.  Its failed terribly.  And I don't see why Romulans would mine much dilithium at that time...since their power cores are quantum singularities....

Just a thought  <_<

Couldn't agree more. I hope I don't get lynched for saying this, but I hated Nemesis. The entire condition of the Remans in the first place - I'm sorry, I don't care what they were exposed to or whatever the cause supposedly was. The Remans are still Romulans genetically. They just live on a different planet. It would be like humans living on Mars: are they any less humans than the ones on Earth? And supposing that the Romulans did think so little of the Remans, I agree with Argelian that they wouldn't allow one to be in a position of power. And the whole 'clone Picard' thing - *shudders* Sorry. Definitely not a movie I'm watching again.

As far as the Romulans turning good, it seems to me that any alliances they have with the Federation and/or the Klingons are more out of practical necessity than any deepseated good fellowship. I don't think we have to worry about them being a serious not-enemy any time soon.

I just have to toss this in: I know that the ST books are not considered to be canon the way the SW books are to that saga, but my all time favorite portrayals of the Romulans has to be Diane Duane's My Enemy, My Ally and The Romulan Way. What a beautifully intricate look at Romulan (Rihannsu) society. They totally made the Romulans feel like real people, not just another enemy of the Federation. :nono:

Wow, perfectly stated, I agree completely. With your whole post but especially that part. *stands up and claps* :(

Thanks... Heh

I think they ran into a problem, when they used a new writer to make the movie (one new to trek) and they tried to use old themes. It just didn't flow...tho I must admit the CGI was Awesome :(

I just have to toss this in: I know that the ST books are not considered to be canon the way the SW books are to that saga, but my all time favorite portrayals of the Romulans has to be Diane Duane's My Enemy, My Ally and The Romulan Way. What a beautifully intricate look at Romulan (Rihannsu) society. They totally made the Romulans feel like real people, not just another enemy of the Federation. :(

[/color]

You should read "Honor Blade" and "Sword Hunt"

At least to finish that 4 part series :(