80 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a born-again Christian?

• yes
    • no
    • not sure
    • What's a born-again Christian?

Are there any Catholics?   :)

191670[/snapback]

My husband used to be but now he's Methodist like me.

I've found that most Catholics I know personally are pretty indifferent to religion if they're practicing at all. Certainly the folks my husband went to parochial school with have just about all given up Catholicism.

My husband says that generally the Methodist service is close enough for jazz and I found Catholicism to be way too different than how I was raised.

265982[/snapback]

I only ask if there other Catholics out is stf. I didn't think I would get negative comments on Catholics. My religion means a great deal to me. What do you find different in Catholicism?

266064[/snapback]

You misunderstand me ... when I first started dating my husband and found out he was Catholic I was pretty excited. I always wanted to be Catholic rather than just boring old Methodist. But it was hard to embrace the faith when my husband was so uninterested and it was easier to get him to come to my church than to get him to go to his own! I was pretty disappointed. Catholicism always seemed so exotic to me and I was more than ready to join its ranks.

BUT in the end it was just too much of a jump for me anyway ... there is too much "extra" stuff, too much ritual, too many different people to revere. While Methodists believe in an immaculate conception, we don't worship Mary. We honor the founders of the church, but we do not pray to them or other "saints," although sometimes they are referred to as such. The "first communion" thing is very odd to me, because I don't believe that any 7 year old truly appreciates the meaning of the act. I was 11 before I took communion for the first time.

It was just too much and I think really hard for a person to "become" Catholic if they were raised as a Protestant.

I was originally just saying that of all the folks who were raised Catholic that I know, none of them goes to church anymore. I wonder why? :) It's really kind of sad.

Edited by gul_nodrog

To me religion is academic. I understand things in a logical sense not a mystical sense. So I do not consider myself born again. I do not believe in hell fire. I believe that I am either alive or dead. Death means nothingness or nonexistence. Life means existence.

According to the scriptures: Jesus was born a perfect man so he could pay for the death of the only other perfect man, Adam. He was needed because the rest of us were imperfect or with sin. His death, gave us a chance for a perfect life after the final judgement day. None of us have entered this final judgement, so we are not yet born again.

Are there any Catholics?   :hug:

191670[/snapback]

My husband used to be but now he's Methodist like me.

I've found that most Catholics I know personally are pretty indifferent to religion if they're practicing at all. Certainly the folks my husband went to parochial school with have just about all given up Catholicism.

My husband says that generally the Methodist service is close enough for jazz and I found Catholicism to be way too different than how I was raised.

265982[/snapback]

I only ask if there other Catholics out is stf. I didn't think I would get negative comments on Catholics. My religion means a great deal to me. What do you find different in Catholicism?

266064[/snapback]

You misunderstand me ... when I first started dating my husband and found out he was Catholic I was pretty excited. I always wanted to be Catholic rather than just boring old Methodist. But it was hard to embrace the faith when my husband was so uninterested and it was easier to get him to come to my church than to get him to go to his own! I was pretty disappointed. Catholicism always seemed so exotic to me and I was more than ready to join its ranks.

BUT in the end it was just too much of a jump for me anyway ... there is too much "extra" stuff, too much ritual, too many different people to revere. While Methodists believe in an immaculate conception, we don't worship Mary. We honor the founders of the church, but we do not pray to them or other "saints," although sometimes they are referred to as such. The "first communion" thing is very odd to me, because I don't believe that any 7 year old truly appreciates the meaning of the act. I was 11 before I took communion for the first time.

It was just too much and I think really hard for a person to "become" Catholic if they were raised as a Protestant.

I was originally just saying that of all the folks who were raised Catholic that I know, none of them goes to church anymore. I wonder why? :lol: It's really kind of sad.

266107[/snapback]

Please PM me if you have any questions.

I grew up going to a Pentecostal Church, and as I grew up I saw it as a chore... Something I had to do. I believed that Jesus came down to shed his blood for my sins, I just never had a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Once I was old enough I moved out on my own and stopped going to church, besides I felt out of place at that church. 7 years later, my wife and I were invited to go to this church... Personally I wasn't too thrilled. We visited the church and I tell you I felt the presence of God. I rededicated my life to serving God and haven't looked back. The church I attend is a Christian Fellowship, but we don't emphasize on religion or being religious, we are mostly come as you are, we are a fellowship who just loves to worship, reading the bible using it as a guide and that's what I think is the most important thing. Praising God, and thanking our Lord Jesus Christ for his sacrifice to set us free of our sins. Am I a born again??? Yes I am- Once I accepted Jesus Christ as the savior who died on the Cross to set me free of my sins, and I acknowledged that I was a sinner and turned away from those sins and dedicated my life to serve the Lord...That's when I became a born again.

Also- I want everyone to know that it is a good thing to respect each other's religion, because there will come a day where we will all be face to face with God, and God is the only one who will determine who was right or wrong. I believe that all good God fearing and righteous people will make it to Heaven.

I grew up going to a Pentecostal Church, and as I grew up I saw it as a chore... Something I had to do.  I believed that Jesus came down to shed his blood for my sins, I just never had a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.  Once I was old enough I moved out on my own and stopped going to church, besides I felt out of place at that church.  7 years later, my wife and I were invited to go to this church... Personally I wasn't too thrilled.  We visited the church and I tell you I felt the presence of God.  I rededicated my life to serving God and haven't looked back.  The church I attend is a Christian Fellowship, but we don't emphasize on religion or being religious, we are mostly come as you are, we are a fellowship who just loves to worship, reading the bible using it as a guide and that's what I think is the most important thing.  Praising God, and thanking our Lord Jesus Christ for his sacrifice to set us free of our sins.  Am I a born again???  Yes I am- Once I accepted Jesus Christ as the savior who died on the Cross to set me free of my sins, and I acknowledged that I was a sinner and turned away from those sins and dedicated my life to serve the Lord...That's when I became a born again.

Also- I want everyone to know that it is a good thing to respect each other's religion, because there will come a day where we will all be face to face with God, and God is the only one who will determine who was right or wrong.  I believe that all good God fearing and righteous people will make it to Heaven.

267848[/snapback]

Amen to all that. Who am I to determine which religion is right or wrong? I'll follow where Jesus leads me and let Him judge others.

I'm a Buddhist and have been now for about eight years. I was a Christian when i was a teenager until I took it upon myself to read the whole of the Bible from Genesis 1:1 all the way to Revelation 22. After much effort on my part (and many questions to my minister at the time) I did eventually finish it only to come to the realization that the Bible is nothing more then mythology masquerading as real history. It is simply too filled with inaccuracies and contradictions to ne anything but false. Thus I gave up on Christianity when I was sixteen. Between then and thirty I was pretty much an Atheist, following such philosophers as Bertrand Russell and Voltaire in my views.

I discovered Buddhism pretty much by chance when I returned to college. I was a history major and religious studies was a part of that. I took Western Religion first (Judaism, Christianity & Islam). Then I took Eastern Religion, and it was here that I discovered Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism, and so forth.

I won't go into a long definiton of Buddhism -it would take too long and i suspect it would bore many of you. I will simply say that Buddhism attracted me for many reasons. For one- Buddhism isn't hostile to science, which Christianity is and always has been. Second- Buddhism encourages one to ask questions and to accept things on proof (fact) rather then speculation (faith).

Any specific questions I am happy to answer if anyone has any. :msn-wink: :msn-wink: :msn-wink:

I am a christian and proud to be one. I have also discovered, though, through many months spent in a muslim country, that we have more in common with our muslim brethren than we might think. Take for example, the Angel Gabriel from the Bible, he also appears in the Koran, known as Jibrial. his message to Mary also appears in the Koran, though it is my understanding that muslims do not believe, as Christians do, that Jesus is the son of god, but that he is according to the Koran a Prophet of God.

I'm something alright. I'm sure I was born a few times but I know I'm not anything religious.

Lutheran/Christian. Odie most Catholics I know still are involved in thier church. Most people out side the Catholic Church have a hard time understanding the tradition with in the church.

Hmm... Let's see. I have a pentagram for an avatar. What do you think? :nono:

Obviously, no, I'm not Christian. (Though I used to be.)

I was Christian.

I had Buddhism in my heart, my speech and my mind all along. I have loved helping others, showing compassion, and great wisdom since I was born. So from the past 6 months I've started following the Buddhist path and going to the Centre for refuges.

My belief system is very hard to explain without sounding like a tree-hugging flake.

I'll just go with "not a born-again Christian" and leave it at that... :laugh: