Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

"Children of Time"

In the season 5 episode "Children of Time", why did the - before I continue, beware of spoilers if you have not seen this episode - descendants of the Defiant simply cease to exist? I know, if the Defiant never went back, then they couldn't exist. This is not true though. If the Defiant never went back, that's dandy and all, but it wouldn't "push" the descendants of the crew out of existance since this is a "new" timeline. I don't see how a "change" to the future would effect the present nor past.

Anywho, what are your theories?

wat i think happened was in the episode they mean that there is one timeline... and wen teh defiant's crew changed the timeline.. okay say the one where they crash looks like this... ---|

now say that when they didnt crash it altered the timeline ---/ so the origional was erased..

Since the Defiant was prevented from going back in time then the crash never happened which means that the colony could never exist, so the question is if the Defiant never went back in time and the colony never existed then how were they on the planet in the first place?

I think we need Temporal Investigations to look into this...

Man, I really hate this episode, mainly because of that nutty Dax dude. Then of course there was "weird hair" Odo. And I liked Kira a lot better when she was comparing getting rid of a mini-universe to "stepping on ants" (Season 2 or 3, I think).

I guess I just didn't understand why everyone on the Defiant got so worked up over this group of descendants who were merely going to "cease" existing as if they never had existed. The real Defiant crew wasn't killing anyone, they were just correcting an error. Imagine how peed off the Prophets would have been if Sisko had stayed on that crazy planet with his descendants instead of returning to the real Bajor and the correct timeline to fulfill his destiny as they'd intended! You'd think Kira would have been a bit more worried about that.

In answer to the original question: what everybody else said. By not crashing and going back in time, the Defiant crew never produced all that crazy progeny and those people never existed, period.

This episode was hard to sit back and enjoy due to the whole temporal paradox going on here and the selfish acts of Odo. Really, what was so hard about him just expressing his feelings to Kira. Did he have to sacrifice that entire colony just to have a chance with her?

I was actually thinking about this episode not long ago, I think it would make for a good back story book. Follow the Defiant on the first go round where it crashes and then follow each generation up to the point of the episode.

If I had the time and writing skills, I'd write it because it's a story that I'd really be interested in.

This episode was hard to sit back and enjoy due to the whole temporal paradox going on here and the selfish acts of Odo. Really, what was so hard about him just expressing his feelings to Kira. Did he have to sacrifice that entire colony just to have a chance with her?

AMEN. This is what bugs me about TV sometimes. Every now and then some idiot will justify sacrificing everyone else simply for a chance to be with the object of their affections (and usually the object "just wants to be friends").

8,000 people died. Whew...that's too many. I mean, I was okay when Odo simply was crushing; he had some redeeming qualities. But this was overboard. Had he been a Vulcan, this would have never happened.

Furthermore, the one good thing about this ep is that Kira is willing to die for the 8,000, which is cool, cuz I usually associate her with being a selfish ho.

AMEN. This is what bugs me about TV sometimes. Every now and then some idiot will justify sacrificing everyone else simply for a chance to be with the object of their affections (and usually the object "just wants to be friends").

8,000 people died. Whew...that's too many. I mean, I was okay when Odo simply was crushing; he had some redeeming qualities. But this was overboard. Had he been a Vulcan, this would have never happened.

Furthermore, the one good thing about this ep is that Kira is willing to die for the 8,000, which is cool, cuz I usually associate her with being a selfish ho.

Good point :look: This ep really showed that Kira had more redeeming qualities than we were led to believe.

I re-watched this episode again today, I still don't like the ending and I'm still interested in the 200 years worth of history that would have happened had the Defiant gone back.

This episode did lead to many questions about whether it was right to tamper with the timeline, even though the events had not occurred for the crew would it have been right for them to rescue themselves by preventing the accident while erasing an entire culture born from their decendants?

I don't know if it would have been right to do that or not, I just wish they could have found a way for the duplicating theory to actually work so the colony could thrive and the crew could also go home.

This has me thinking though. If changes in the past can erase people that are in the present, and there is only one timeline, then would that not mean that the events of all of the series other than Enterprise would have been erased or at least altered by the newest Star Trek movie?

It is possible, but unproveable.

We can only perceive and experience in the timeline we are in. Another timeline may be out there somewhere, and it may be real, but we can no more perceive it than the inhabitants of that timeline perceive us (outside of the occasional crossover episode).

The one possible exception might be El Aurians like Guinan who might be able to sense when a timeline has changed.

We can't prove that alternate timelines exist. We can't prove they don't exist either.

Edited by Lt. Van Roy