Sign in to follow this  
Jim Phaserman

Sisko's hair...

Okay, I've been watching what I can of the DS9 marathon, and I noticed something. in the first few seasons, Sisko had a nice head of hair. then at some point, all that hair migrated from the top of his head to his chin and upper lip. Appearently, not only is human culture different in the 24th Century, but so is the going bald process. is this a new variant on Male Pattern Baldness? shall we call it, Sisko pattern hair loss?

this is half rant, half serious observation. YOU decide which is which.

There's no decission to be made here. :laugh:

Sisko started growing a goatee in the 3rd season, and then in the 4th season decided to start shaving his head. This is true, because I remember seeing an episode where Kassidy was shaving Sisko's head in his quarters.

There's no decission to be made here. :laugh:

Sisko started growing a goatee in the 3rd season, and then in the 4th season decided to start shaving his head.  This is true, because I remember seeing an episode where Kassidy was shaving Sisko's head in his quarters.

Ah. I didn't see that episode. chances are, though, it won't be on for a while.

goatee's are the shizit, Sisco had my vote when he decked q

"You hit me! Picard never hit me!" Q

Picard should have slugged Q any number of times, but it took my man Sisko to act out that particular fantasy!

Did you notice that the more hair Sisko lost, the better able he was to kick @ss? Kind of like a reverse Samson thing. I think that Avery Brooks looks so awesome as a bald man. Only someone really striking in looks can pull off that no hair thing.

goatee's are the shizit, Sisco had my vote when he decked q

Only Sisko would punch Q. Well, Kirk would punch Q, but they never met, so, you know.

That line by Q makes me :laugh: every time!

According to what I've read, when Avery Brooks won the part as Sisko, the producers asked him to grow out his hair so that people wouldn't look at him and automatically assume he was Hawk from Spencer For Hire. (I mean, he is - but to avoid confusion and to differentiate the character.) Then, when they figured the Sisko character was set in people's minds, they allowed him, slowly, to change his physical image back.

I love Sisko, but bald is definitely better in this case!

That line by Q makes me  :o  every time!

According to what I've read, when Avery Brooks won the part as Sisko, the producers asked him to grow out his hair so that people wouldn't look at him and automatically assume he was Hawk from Spencer For Hire.  (I mean, he is - but to avoid confusion and to differentiate the character.)  Then, when they figured the Sisko character was set in people's minds, they allowed him, slowly, to change his physical image back.

I love Sisko, but bald is definitely better in this case!

That's correct. He never went bald he just shaved his head. As for the facial hair; the first episode in which he had the goatee was the one where Jake and him build an ancient non-warp engine barjoran space craft (I forget the name). In that episode his goatee was a lot fuller and thicker, and then after that episode he trimmed it and gave it a cleaner look.

He had always wanted to have his head shaved but it was the decision of the producers for Brooks to grow out his hair.

I personally think he looks a lot better with the head shaved and goatee. A lot more menacing.

Edited by ~Crims~

I have been sporting the bald head and goatee look for three years and I personally like having a bald head better than having hair.

Like with everything, it all comes down to personal preference...

I like his looks. He commands respect, and it is an attractive look.

Avery Brooks wanted to have that look in the beginning but TPTB didn't want him to do it until the show was established. To my knowledge it wasn't a "look" he created for the show but rather it's how he prefers to be. That's how he looked in Spencer For Hire and it's how he looks today.

I've done the shaved head thing in the Army and when I don't have a full beard I have a goatee but I've never had both together. Maybe I'll shave my head this summer... lol