Sign in to follow this  
Jeanway

Do You Accept All ST Episodes as Truth?

Do you pick apart episodes saying this can't happen or that's truth or that's impossible? Do you accept what you see or do you pick it apart? Do you try to figure out how some things came to be? Saying well, if this happened that could be possible? What I'm saying is do you think that most of what we see could be possible in the future? And yes, I know Startrek is fiction. I'm not that far gone yet :clap: You'll have to excuse me now, my WarBird is sitting in the driveway warming up ^_^ :drool:

I just watch and enjoy it...its pure entertainment with a few life lessons

thrown in for good measure, I believe over analyzing takes the fun out of it.

:drool:

No, I don't believe a lot of things presented in Star Trek will happen or are scientifically accurate - however, the physics of Star Trek is a fascinating book (I listened on tape)

Do you pick apart episodes saying this can't happen or that's truth or that's impossible?  Do you accept what you see or do you pick it apart?  Do you try to figure out how some things came to be? Saying well, if this happened that could be possible? What I'm saying is do you think that most of what we see could be possible in the future? And yes, I know Startrek is fiction. I'm not that far gone yet :drool: You'll have to excuse me now, my WarBird is sitting in the driveway warming up  :clap:  ^_^

STAR TREK is fiction, so that's how I take it as - fiction. However, it is fun to ponder which technologies they have that we might develope in my life time. ^_^

I consider it real in an alternate universe, etc... I might say, "But blah blah was made in..." I consider it real, but only in an alternate universe... Maybe not completely real...

Edited by harrykim

The laws of physics work a bit differently in the Star Trek continuum.....

I.E. The Sling-shot Effect...

Anyways, I believe Star Trek is in a parallel timeline.....

Anyways, I don't believe Greg Cox's 'The Rise and Fall of Khan Noonien Singh' trilogy are canon....

Voyager 6 was launched in 1999, Nomad was launched in 2002..

The Eugenics War lasted from 1992 onward to 1996, whether or not it was a secret war is unconfirmed in Star Trek....lastresort.jpg42.gif

Do you pick apart episodes saying this can't happen or that's truth or that's impossible?  Do you accept what you see or do you pick it apart?  Do you try to figure out how some things came to be? Saying well, if this happened that could be possible? What I'm saying is do you think that most of what we see could be possible in the future? And yes, I know Startrek is fiction. I'm not that far gone yet :drool: You'll have to excuse me now, my WarBird is sitting in the driveway warming up  :clap:  ^_^

STAR TREK is fiction, so that's how I take it as - fiction. However, it is fun to ponder which technologies they have that we might develope in my life time. ^_^

Dear god this comin from the person who i call the 'pickiter', lol... anyways

I only like to pick out details from episodes that completely dont make sense to me. I try to find a common reason and how it relates to life and the message that it is trying to protray, I dont find a fault with the episode cause come on its fiction, not everything is true. :P

Do you pick apart episodes saying this can't happen or that's truth or that's impossible?  Do you accept what you see or do you pick it apart?  Do you try to figure out how some things came to be? Saying well, if this happened that could be possible? What I'm saying is do you think that most of what we see could be possible in the future? And yes, I know Startrek is fiction. I'm not that far gone yet :( You'll have to excuse me now, my WarBird is sitting in the driveway warming up  :bow:  :(

STAR TREK is fiction, so that's how I take it as - fiction. However, it is fun to ponder which technologies they have that we might develope in my life time. B)

Dear god this comin from the person who i call the 'pickiter', lol... anyways

Story telling - wether it be movies, television, theater, or books - and music are my favorite forms of entertainment and help me unwind at night, so you bet I get picky! :(

I only like to pick out details from episodes that completely dont make sense to me.

Agreed. This isn't Trek-related, but just tonight, I watched an SG-1 episode with a friend and Teal'c said that such'n such was "galaxies away" when the Stargate network only goes to planets in our own galaxy. Since this wasn't an arc episode, I just figured it was a writer's goof. B)

I try to find a common reason and how it relates to life and the message that it is trying to protray, I dont find a fault with the episode cause come on its fiction, not everything is true. :clap:

True. Often times, one can use their imagination and figure out an explanation. Other times, one must realise they goofed like the Ent-A having a turbo shaft that goes straight up 79 decks when the ship is 23 decks with the deck numbers going up as you go down. :P

I just enjoy it. I just accept it as an imaginary future. I don't think about a lot of the details until someone here raises a question. Of course I enjoy discussing those questions too.

Edited by mjham

I generally sit back and accept it on face value. Occasionally, they will do something which makes me go :P .

well, I am something like a theoritician and an amateur particle physicist at age 13!!!!!!!

Much of trek is based on theoretical particles mentioned in many professional scientific discussions.

I take trek as a possible reality.

But I see it is very difficult for us to accomplish the optimistic goals of fusion and warp travel.

Ok, first off i'm gonna agree with harrykim and drwho42, and also with weareborg4102, at least regarding warp travel, and for now :huh:. Now, there is occasion where i kinda get iritated with what happens on star trek (recent utilization of borg on Enterprise being one of them), and i do :o whenever they show something or say something that (if it were to happen in real life) kinda strains the timeline (such as the ss valiant supposedly launching 2 years after cochrane's first flight, or the switch from say, DY to mars mission tech *what the heck?!!!*). But i have also had a bit of fun with it such as making my own starship designs (hehe, i sorta have a virtual fleet, although it's only 2-d :laugh:), and i have had a bit of fun explaining technical problems by utilizing already known bits in trek or utilizing new science. But utimately it's relaxing as it gives me a vision of a peaceful future et al :laugh:.

I believe that Gene Roddenberry found some sort of opening into an alternate reality and "lived" Star Trek. Unfortunately, we cannot not experience that future anymore because he brought it back and messed the timeline up. Of course, like in the episode Paralells (TNG), Star Trek is true in some alternate reality. (BTW, if you have not seen that episode, watch it; it has given me a whole new philosophy for life). Of course, his bringing it back does not mean the Klingons and Vulcans and Romulans, etc do not exist. Unfortunately, we will most likely not have first contact with Vulcans in 2063 because no one is developing the advanced technology as fast as they did in the Star Trek timeline. I will have to find some other way...

Personally one of the most appealing things about Star Trek for me was that I felt that it was a more accurate depiction of what the future might be like then other Science Fiction shows and movies. I don't know about warp drive being accomplishable, I do find it highly improbable that we will ever be beaming around the galaxy because in the world of physics it's just not possible to turn our bodies into a bunch of small particles even for the future. I do however believe that it is entirely possible for us to be traveling around within the confines of space in a spaceship of some kind. Wether or not it has warp drive....well who knows....it's entirely possible that with technological advances in the future we could defy some of the laws of physics. More than likely if you asked someone in the 18th century if at sometime in the future humans would be flying they would have probably looked at you quizzically and just shook their heads and laughed. I don't about know about anyone else, but I would love to be here 200 or 300 years from now and see how the world has changed technologically, assuming that we haven't blown each other up and obliterated planet Earth.

For now though I just watch Star Trek for pure enjoyment and ponder what it would be like if it was all real. :laugh:

Edited by Vulcan IDIC