• Yes, full fledged back yard vegetable garden
    • Yes, flower and vegetable garden
    • Yes, flower garden
    • Yes, patio or container vegetables
    • Yes, patio or container flowers
    • Yes, patio or container vegetables and flowers
    • A couple of pots with drooping plants
    • No, none of the above

I live in an apt so container gardening is my only option. I managed to grow enough peppers (bell and jalapeno) two years ago to make several batches of jalapeno jelly. (awesome stuff). I actually have two ornamental plants that have survived the last couple of winters. One Dusty Miller and a Lantana. I love Lantana (I think I saw some in an ep of ENT) it reminds me of a type that grew wild when I was a child.

I've got some flowers planted but need to get my peppers and tomatoes this week. I'm a little late but it has been colder than average so hopefully I'll still get some fruit.

There's a poem that starts "One is nearer God's heart in a garden than anywhere else on Earth". Whoever wrote that understands something about the sense of tranquility that you experience while working in your garden. I also have a little sign in my "garden" "A garden shows you how to believe in tomorrow." I find something very restful and soul strengthening in planting, watering and watching something grow.

So anyone else have thoughts they'd like to share about the gardening experience. (Oh yeah, I've had some major disappointments as well)

I said Yes, flower garden, but in the past I have grown vegetables as well. I concentrate mostly on flowers now. In fact, the past few days, I have been lamenting about getting a late start because we have had so much rain this year. But I have daffodils blooming, my iris are ready to bloom and I have seedlings started in the house almost ready to be planted outside.

I guess everybody has disappointments. Some years my vegetables were completely consumed by snails and slugs. Nothing seemed to stop them. And early this year, I saw a deer in my back yard munching on things, so I'm going to have to be careful what I plant back there. I do have a beautiful arbor in my backyard which is covered with clematis and climbing roses, and the deer seemed to steer clear of that, which is good. It's currently in full bloom.

I feel the same about gardening. It gets me out of the house, into the rare sunshine and it's very peaceful.

I have a small garden to the side of my new home, but there's a tree that pretty much blocks out the sun so...

Not really, but I'm about a ten minute walk from the spectacular Kyoto Botanical Garden (it's huge), a picture of which is shown here (in the autumn):

post-12-1081093659.jpg

Edited by Red Shirt Volunteer

Yes, flower and vegetable garden. I live in a trailer park so my space is very limited. But I do plant vegetables and flowers every year. It is something I enjoy very much..It is very relaxing and peaceful to get out there and work in the garden. I enjoy it immensely..That's the great thing about the springtime up here in Massachusetts. It is just so fantastic when everything starts growing again..I'm getting anxious for that again. As for vegetables I usually plant tomatoes, cucumbers, summer squash, purple string beans among others..(Yes I said purple!) Of course I have had disappointments..Some things I have wanted to grow just haven't done well..Oh, and I have a very cool strawberry patch..

For the most part it is a large piece of grass with a small patch of flowers and bushes, followed by a small patio. My garden's dimensions are 35ft wide x 65ft long. I also have a small front garden that looks bedragled. Must work out what i want to do there!

i still live with my parents (because Im a teenager) and my mom plants alot of flowers and we have a big vegtable garden because we own alot of land. This year I am planing to plant some flowers of my own and some organic veggies, espically tomatoes they are the best good on everything, and sell them at the farmers market to make some cash.

My grandma has a huge garden, but we (mommy and me ^_^ ) don't. I'm not good with plants or flowers or something. :clap:

My mom likes plants and flowers and she has some, but I don't care for them or something, like I said, I'm not good with plants or flowers... :drool:

I have a flower garden with Roses, Lavender, Poppies and loads of other colourful flowers and a patio covered in pots filled with herbs and annuals.

I love my Roses in the summer their scent is heavenly. Last year I was so proud I got a huge tub planted a purple scented Rose in the centre then put in a small obelisk and grew Sweet Peas up it. The Rose flowered first then the Sweet Peas giving colour and fragrance from June until October when the Sweet Peas finally gave up flowering.

The one thing I have always wanted to grow are Lupins but every time I try them snails and slugs eat them for lunch and I end up with a stick where they used to be. :drool:

I haven't had a snail/slug problem but I know of two possible solutions. From word of mouth I've heard that putting a saucer of beer in the garden will draw the snails away from the plants.

A little less pleasant is to put a border of fine rocks or broken seashells around the garden beds (something like ground coquina). The snails will cut themselves if they try to cross.

At my old house I managed to have a vegetable patch. Haven't replicated that at my new address.

When I first came to my new address there was only grass. I've planted about 25 native Australian trees/shrubs but have lost about 7 to drought and disconnected irrigation during the holidays. Drat it!

My aim is to provide some low shrubs for the willy wag tails and finches to shelter in and to provide nectar for small mammals, parrots and insects. I want to connect my yard to the brigalow scrub on the other side of the fence. I want to see more animals in my yard!

Red Shirt Volunteer, that Botanical Garden near your place is fabulous! Lucky you!

Red Shirt Volunteer, that Botanical Garden near your place is fabulous!  Lucky you!

Yes, I'm very lucky. It just stretches out forever and takes a couple of hours to walk around if you don't really stop and smell the roses so to speak. There's a slight fee to enter, but it's very low and well worth it.

I don't have one but I really don't know why. Both my front and back yards are pretty big so I have plenty of space. Gosh I should start a garden! Maybe I should learn something about gardening first. 11doh.gif Maybe I'll head to the library today.

Yes i have a front and back garden,and because i work at a flower auction i get all the best plants :laugh:

I have some flower beds that are shamefully under-attended. Once again this year, I'm saying I'll make the effort to have them look better. We'll see what actually happens. :laugh:

I grew up on a farm, so I'm used to vegetable gardens, too. But it snowed here yesterday, and predictions say it will again on Friday, so I'm not even thinking about putting anything out yet!

I just planted pansies, and this month I will till the vegetable and flower gardens. I am trying this year to start tomatos from seed, I hope to plant them by mid may.

I have some wonderful houseplants in bloom, but I would like to plant flowere around the edge of my patio. The catch is I have to get permission from the Condo association to make any major alterations to the outside. I would like to plant various colors of petunias, or maybe pansies. I'll let you know if I actually do it.