Sign in to follow this  
headborg

Neighbor Relations

Just got home to find that my next door neighbor has been hauling in junk autos and generally transforming his property into what can only be described as a Red Neck Junk Yard. I wasn't home more than a couple hours and three separate "concerned neighbors" visited me and asked that I join in with them to sign a petition calling for the county commissioner to enact variances for our subdivision to force him to clean it up and if needed to join in legal action against my neighbor to prevent the community property values from being adversely affected. The bible states "to love thy neighbor" and I wasn't planning on selling my property any time soon, and I'm never here anyway. What should I do?

Are you on good terms with your neighbor? How much property are you talking about - does he live on a lot or a couple of acres? There might already be zoning restrictions or ordinances in place. Have you talked to the county zoning office? Is he running a business in a residential neighborhood. Will he be having an increase in traffic coming to his house?

If you know your neighbor you could talk to him and see if this is going to be a permanent or temporary situation. Or before legal action ensued someone in your group could talk to him and make him aware of your concerns.

You could visit an attorney and get a better view of your options. Your county also may have alternative dispute resolution - which can be a better solution because both parties have input and they tend to have less long term resentment.

Maybe he could move the cars to the back and put up a tall fence with landscaping in front.

I would say get as much info as you can and know what all of your options are before you make a decision.

Man , you just have one problem after another, don't you? Sounds like your

'Personal Crisis Grid' is full right now. But, " Tall Fences Do Make Better Neighbors", for now. Then work on a petition, have all your neighbors sign it and leave it in his mailbox. If that doesn't do anything, well, legal action may be your only recourse. Maybe this guy just doesn't realize what he's doing. Maybe he really is a 'RedNeck'. Good Luck. :)

You could always send Worf over there to have a talk with him :laugh:

Edited by Jeanway

dear, that's the idea I'm now planning...the 6ft privacy fence...cedar...about $800 and 6 months for me to build...seeing as I'm only home 3days a month. I'm not really worried about what he does on his property...i'm mean i feel for the guy if he's trying to feed his family and working on people's cars to do it...it just was another issue i wasn't looking forward to having to address the second i got home.

That is why I love going to France so much- everyone has walls around their houses and it is so private and so nice. I really have no clue how to help you though, headborg.

Oh Well, just a fence on that side, just for the time being. I'm sure other people will complain, don't take this whole issue on by yourself.

TUH gave you sound advice. First see what local ordinances already are in place, and talk to your neighbor.

In my city and county, the govenment can be very heavy-handed about the upkeep of private property. A colleagues at work had been negligent about cutting her lawn, and the city sent her a letter telling her to cut her lawn immediately, and if she did not do it, they would cut it and would charge her for it. Another situtation involved property full of junk cars. The city ordered the owner to clean it up. The owner refused. It went to court. The city won, and forced the clean-up. The result is that worst one ususally sees in this town is a building or old home ready to be torn down. Even the poor neighborhoods look decent. My mother was surprised at how much of the city was beautiful when she visited.

Edited by mjham

Because she didn't cut her grass? Thats horrible, I understand junk cars because they can be a safety hazard but not cutting your grass is just ridicules.

Just got home to find that my next door neighbor has been hauling in junk autos and generally transforming his property into what can only be described as a Red Neck Junk Yard.  I wasn't home more than a couple hours and three separate "concerned neighbors" visited me and asked that I join in with them to sign a petition calling for the county commissioner to enact variances for our subdivision to force him to clean it up and if needed to join in legal action against my neighbor to prevent the community property values from being adversely affected.  The bible states "to love thy neighbor" and I wasn't planning on selling my property any time soon, and I'm never here anyway.  What should I do?

I think you should mind your own business. Did it occor to you that maybe he wants to restore some vehicles or something? In any event, if there's no kids running arround to "get hurt" on dangerous items, and if no one is selling their home any time soon... just what exactly is the problem? :)

In the city near where I live, they just passed a law saying that you can't pack your car in your yard becuase it's an "eye soar" and decreases property value. I really think the government should mind it's own business. :laugh: If I want to park my car (if I had one) in my yard, then by golly, I'm gonna do it! :)

Edited by Captain Jean-Luc Picard

I'm not kidding! That really happened! She went ahead and cut her grass. But it must have happened to other besides her. You don't see uncut lawns, and we can't be all that diligent.

When growing up in another larger city, my three brothers had the responsibility of cutting the lawn. The oldest had to cut the front, so it was always in good shape. The youngest cut half of the back and one side. That part was also well maintained. The middle one had the responsibilty of the other half of the backyard, and the other side. He was never that committed. So often, a meadow developed on one side and the back as the rest of the lawn was maintain, and this portion was allowed to grow to its natural state! We were amazed to find that grass can look like a wheat field when allowed to grow and grow and grow. Usually a neighbor would knock on the door and politely ask us to take care of that portion of the lawn, and usually one of the other two brothers would get to it before the one responsible would. But we never heard from the city on it.

So it was a surprise to me when it happended here.

CJLP-Headborg WAS "minding his own business." The situation was brought to him, and he asked us.

I know a lot of cities have ordinances like this. Public eyesores, and all that. In fact, I have friends who also had problems with the city because of too many cars in their yard. Personally, I'm with TUH - you should talk to the neighbor. If the others around you were really "concerned neighbors," then they would talk to him, not go around to everyone else first.

Yeah, talk to the neighbour first or find out what city bylaws exist concerning this situation. Signing a petition that might violate his rights is only going to create bad feelings in the neighbourhood. Personally, if I were him and someone came up to me with that kind of petition and it wasn't governed by city bylaws, I'd go as far as the law allows me to make those people's lives more difficult. Eg. working on the car when they want to enjoy a quiet day in their backyard.

The most important thing about talking first is you may be able to prevent lingering ill will.

MJ - we had a case in my county that involved storing freezers on the front porch. Of course each battle in this war ended up in the local paper.

CJLP, imagine yourself in a life boat with several people. To ease tension you've each claimed a certain section of the boat as your own. How would you feel if someone decided to drill a hole in his section of the boat? How a person uses their property only differs in degree from this example. If the neighbor stole money we'd all agree it was wrong - so instead he decreases his neighbors' net worth by lowering their property value. He has still taken something away from them.

I think Headborg said this guy is "Hauling in junk cars" not just one, like it's a business. Working on your own car is one thing but if it's a source of regular income, that's a business. Is this zoned for business? If this is a residential area it may not be and HeadBorg and his neighbors have a right to be upset. I certainly wouldn't want to look out my window and see that. Maybe he's just starting and is looking into another location to do this. Just talk to the man. Are you friendly with him?

if it looks horrible and causing a public disbute then ur neighboor might be fored to get rid of it with the other people that are being disturbed by it. If you have a problem with his junk on his yard and know him personally. Then You might want to calmly speak to him about reloacting his stuff to a backyard, because you already know that the area is upset by it. It sounds like your 'vote' really matters on this, and just tell them that you want to remain annonomus(sp?) if you do feel that it is a 'eye soar' having his junk on the yard.

P.S. He should of had consideration to at least rethink about others, a community's idea about their streets is just an enviromental concern.

To CJLP: Would you really like it if piles of rusty cars were at your neighbors house? Even though it is his property, he should think about keeping a clean yard. I would really hate to the inside of his house...

As my mother always said 'Cleanleness is next to Godlyness' :drool:

if it looks horrible and causing a public disbute then ur neighboor might be fored to get rid of it with the other people that are being disturbed by it.

How does a car sitting in someone's yard disturb a person? :drool:

If you have a problem with his junk on his yard and know him personally. Then You might want to calmly speak to him about reloacting his stuff to a backyard, because you already know that the area is upset by it.

That's a good diplomatic way to handle the situation.

It sounds like your 'vote' really matters on this, and just tell them that you want to remain annonomus(sp?) if you do feel that it is a 'eye soar' having his junk on the yard.

Personally, I think he should stay out of it. What someone does with their property is none of his business unless he has kids or is trying to sell his house.

P.S. He should of had consideration to at least rethink about others, a community's idea about their streets is just an enviromental concern.

Why? Why should he have to consult people about something that does not concern them? That's just stupid. If he wants to work on cars in his front yard, he shouldn't need permission. :P

To CJLP: Would you really like it if piles of rusty cars were at your neighbors house? Even though it is his property, he should think about keeping a clean yard. I would really hate to the inside of his house...

Actually, I have a neighbor 2 houses away from me and his yard is full of junk from non-working cars to old motorcycles to various junk piles. It doesn't bother me in the least becuase that's his property. He can do with it as he pleases as far as I'm concerned. Yes, it would be nice if his yard were clean, but I don't live there, thus I have no say in the matter. I've been inside his house, and aside from cat hair (he has a lot of cats), it's quite clean and organised. My point is that if someone came into my yard complaining about stuff they didn't like, I'd tell them to leave before I call the police for trespassing. :clap:

As my mother always said 'Cleanleness is next to Godlyness' ^_^

That's a good saying. ^_^

CJLP, junk cars lower the property value of all the houses in the area. Also he's be pretty stupid if he was going to restore Junk cars in his yard :drool: Unless he had a garage then he should keep them there or in storage.

So CJLP, why did you respond to Syperphobia and not to me. I think I answered why what someone does on their property does affect others. Laws in the form of zoning regulations exist precisely to protect the interests of others.

Edited by TheUnicornHunter

More facts/update: We live just outside the city limits in a residential subdivision, paved street, gas, utilities, all that/ Just no zoning laws....yet. His lot is 280 deep, 100 wide..just like mine...he now has a total of 11 various auto's and 2 junky campers setting on his property...they are not classic autos and there's no point to restoring them. I'm personally not concerned as I stated earlier I'm not planing on selling my place soon...and I'm not here that often to see it, my wife is upset with it however. The other "concerned neighbors" live across the street and couple houses down...I share a boundary with him...they just bought the place a few months ago...haven't met them...really wasn't planning on it...I thank you all for your advise...especially CJLP...i kinda feel the same way as you..What he does on his property is his business/ I don't want to get communist laws passed here that might later come back to bite myself on the rear. Fences make for good neighbors.....the higher the better...maybe I'll make mine 8ft instead of 6. I guess my real question is how do I go about remaining "diplomatically neutral" and not get sucked into this War? Thanks Guys and Gals.

Hey 8 ft, good idea. I know someone who does murals, could paint a nice tropical island scene on there for you, or perhaps the desert, or maybe a nice mountain scene with a waterfall and a lagoon. Think about it :drool:

I guess my real question is how do I go about remaining "diplomatically neutral" and not get sucked into this War? Thanks Guys and Gals.

You probably can't. If you don't want to get involved with a campaign against him you need to tell your other neighbors upfront the mess doesn't bother you. They may take that as neutrality or as being against them but you can't control how they will react.

Hey 8 ft, good idea. I know someone who does murals, could paint a nice tropical island scene on there for you, or perhaps the desert, or maybe a nice mountain scene with a waterfall and a lagoon. Think about it :drool:

You think my wife wouldn't notice I had a "thing" for the painter?