Sign in to follow this  
Takara_Soong

NHL Playoff Pool

The rules for the playoff pool are similar to the pool we had for the regular season but there are a few differences.

1. Players: I have attached a player list that features the top four leading scorers (forwards), top two scorers (defencemen) and one goalie for each team in the playoffs. Choose 4 forwards, 3 defencemen and 2 goalies from each conference. You will have an Eastern Conference team and a Western Conference team consisting of 9 players each. Player List

As the teams are not set yet I have included players from teams that may not make the playoffs. If you choose a player whose team does not make the playoffs you will have until the start of the first playoff game to change your roster.

2. Scoring:

Forwards and Defencemen: As with the regular season pool, 1 point will be awarded for each goal and assist. In addition, 1 bonus point will be awarded for game winning goals and assists. If the winning goal is scored in the first overtime period, then 2 bonus points will be awarded for goals and assists. If the winning goal is scored in the second or third overtime period then 3 bonus points will be awarded.

Goalies: As with the regular season pool, 3 points will be awarded for a regulation time win with 2 bonus points awarded for a regulation time shut out. If the game goes to overtime a win will be worth 5 points with 5 bonus points awarded for a shut out (regulation plus overtime periods). The losing goalie in an overtime game will be awarded 1 point.

3. Trades: Unlike the regular season pool, there will be NO trades allowed.

4. Entry Deadline: Your teams must be posted to this thread before the start of the first playoff game on April 7, 2004.

5. Tie Breaker: In the event there is a first place tie at the end of the playoffs, the first tie breaker will be the entry whose goalies have the most wins. If a second tie breaker is necessary the entry with the least number of goalie losses will be declared the winner.

Good luck!

Note: I've updated the list to remove the players from teams that didn't make the playoffs.

Edited by Takara_Soong

west conference forwards: Joe Sakic, Brett Hull, Milan Hejduk, Bill Guiren

Defence: Rob Blake, Nick Lindstrom, Brad Stuart

Goalies: Dave Aebischer, Evgeni Nabokov

East Conference Forwards: Martin St. Louis, Patrik Elias, Joe Nieuwendyk, Cory Stillman

Defence: Sergei Gonchar, Brian Leetch, Scott Niedermayer

Gaolies: Martin Brodeur, Nicholai, Khabibulin

Edited by stoned_vulcan

Are we still picking Star Trek names for the teams? I think I'll be changing mine, not sure to what though.

I'll post my team once the season is over. Still too much to be determined.

Western

Forwards- Jerome Iginla, Joe Sakic, Milan Hejduk, Martin Gelina

Defense- Rob Blake, Jordan Leopold, Mattieu Schneider

Goalies- Miika Kiprusoff, Marty Turco

Eastern

Forwards- Cory Stillman, Gary Roberts, Mats Sudin, Joe Niewendyke

Defense- Wade Redman, Bryan McCabe, Brian Leetch

Goalies- Ed Belfour, Andrew Raycroft

Question?

If our players are injured before deadline can we change them???

Yes you can change your team for any reason before the deadline. Once the playoffs start no changes can be made. You'll have to PM me to make changes though as posts can't be edited by members after 24 hours (I think).

If you want to have a Trek team name that's great but it's not necessary if you can't think of one you like.

Eastern Conference

Forwards

-Mats Sundin

-Mark Recchi

-Martin St. Louis

-Glen Murray

Defensemen

-Brian Leetch

-Sergei Gonchar

-Wade Redden

Goaltenders

-Eddie "The Eagle" Belfour

Nikolai Khabibulin

Western Conference

Forwards

-Joe Sakic

-Bill Guerin

-Pavel Datsyuk

-Jarome Iginla

Defensemen

-Chris Pronger

-Sergei Zubov

-Nicklas Lidstrom

Goaltenders

-Marty Turco

-Miika Kiprusoff

I'm going to stick with "The Fighting Red Shirts"

I think you're going to have to put this up on the home page again Takara. Going to need some more people to make this more interesting.

Western Conference

Forwards- Joe Sakic, Keith Tkachuk, Milan Hejduk, Brett Hull

Defense- Rob Blake, Chris Pronger, Nicklas Lidstrom

Goalies- Marty Turco, Dan Cloutier

Eastern Conference

Forwards- Martin St. Louis, Mark Recchi, Cory Stillman, Patrick Elias

Defense- Wade Redden, Scott Neidermayer, Bryan McCabe

Goalies- Martin Brodeur, Ed Belfour

I've sent out a number of PMs to people who were in the regular season pool as well as members who joined after the season started who I thought might be interested. Hopefully more people will join shortly.

I'm sticking with the Omicron Theta Jets.

Western Conference:

Forwards: Joe Sakic, Brendan Morrison, Jerome Iginla, Brendan Shanahan

Defense: Rob Blake, Brent Sopel, Brad Stuart

Goalies: Dan Cloutier, Marty Turco

Eastern Conference:

Forwards: Martin St. Louis, Cory Stillman, Michael Ryder, Patrik Elias

Defense: Scott Neidermayer, Dan Boyle, Sergei Gonchar

Goalies: Nicholai Khabibulin, Martin Brodeur

I just discovered that the Boston forwards mysteriously disappeared from the player choice list. That has been corrected now. If you need to modify your team please let me know before the playoffs start.

Here are my picks for the NHL Playoff Pool. My team will no longer be known as Riker's Rockers, but known as the Blues of Delta Quadrant

EASTERN CONFERENCE:

Forwards: Joe Thornton, Marion Hossa, Daniel Alfredsson, and Martin St. Louis

Defensemen: Zdeno Chara, Scott Niedermayer, and Sergei Gonchar

Goalies: Martin Brodeur and Ed Belfour

WESTERN CONFERENCE:

Forwards: Joe Sakic, Doug Weight, Jarome Iginla, and Bill Guerin

Defensemen: Chris Pronger, Rob Blake, and Kimmo Timonen

Goalies: Marty Turco and David Aebischer

:laugh:GO BLUES!

Eastern Conference

Forwards: Recchi, Mark; Leclair, John; Amonte, Tony; Roenick, Jeremy.

Defencemen: Johnnson, Kim; Boyle, Dan; Kubina, Pavel.

Goalies: Khabibulin, Nicholai; Esche, Robert

I know JR's not on the list, but I'd like him on my team. Is that OK?

Western Conference

Forwards: Sakic, Joe; Hejduk, Milan; Forsberg, Peter; Konowalchuk, Steve.

Defencemen: Blake, Rob; Liles, John-Michael; Sopel, Brent.

Goalies: Aebischer, David; Legace, Manny.

Same for Konowalchuk as Roenick.

I hate the teams I've chosen. I always lose these things so let's hope history repeats itself.

Edited by Red Shirt Volunteer

Takara, I cannot believe you picked Brent Sopel as one of your defenceman!?...not to mention Dan Cloutier and Brendan Morrison...It is bad enough that I picked Dan Cloutier as my backup...what was I thinking!

Thornton and Lalime are game time decisions for their respective game 1s. Mogilny is back and I think Tanguay will be soon (but don't quote me on Tanguay). Eric Desjardins is out the entire playoffs and Paul Kariya is out indefinitely. Owen Nolan is out at least 3 weeks (likely longer) and Ken Klee and Darcy Tucker are doubtful for game 1. That's all I'm sure about. I'll check TSN.

Takara, do you know if more members will be participating. Seven is fine, I just think it would be more interesting with more participants.

Edited by Jack_Bauer

Thornton and Lalime are game time decisions for their respective game 1s. Mogilny is back and I think Tanguay will be soon (but don't quote me on Tanguay). Eric Desjardins is out the entire playoffs and Paul Kariya is out indefinitely. Owen Nolan is out at least 3 weeks (likely longer) and Ken Klee and Darcy Tucker are doubtful for game 1. That's all I'm sure about. Here's a link to TSN:

NHL Playoff Injury report

Thanks Jack!!!

Thanks stoned_vulcan!!!

Thanks Red Shirt Volunteer!!!!

:laugh: :P :wacko:

GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!!

Edited by v_seven

The deadline has come and gone so this is it.

I like the Canucks - their farm team is here in Winnipeg. I was trying to make what I thought to be the safest decision too. I'm not sure of Legace in the playoffs so Detroit could be upset in the first round. With Colorado and Dallas, I thought it was too risky. Colorado has an unproven playoff goalie and players either injured or coming off injuries. If Turco is hot Dallas could take that one. It seemed safer for me to think that the Canucks will at least get into the second round.

Hmmm...I notice edmcgon is absent from the playoff pool...afraid to defend his regular season title?

Okay so I'm kidding around but I thought I'd get one last shot in.

Guest Guest

Oh, a team name...

Disruptor Blast Victims

lol np did u guys watch the games today i watched the avs game.. yeah i kinda figged tanguay was back when he scored the Avs' second goal ...and gah!!!!!! i should have taken naslund :( he had three points tonite.. oh well t/m im gonna watch the leaf games and hope i pick up some more points :huh:

oh i just heard some anti-ottawa song on the radio based on the hannukah song lol it was hilarious... jack do you know where i could download it, it sounds like sandler singing it one of hte lines in it was "they can give all they gottawa but the cup will never to go ottawa!" lol just something kool i heard thought i should let u guys know..

Edited by stoned_vulcan

I haven't heard that song yet but things are getting ugly. The other day some goof radio host in Ottawa basically said that Tie Domi beats his wife. The guy has been reprimanded and a lawsuit could be launched by Domi's agent and the Maple Leafs organization. Apparently a women's rights organization is also looking into what he said. That's the real problem with this rivalry is how childish Ottawa makes it. I mean they blame their problems on the Leafs, they attempted to put a canned food tax on anyone wearing a Leaf sweater in the Corel Centre (which the Leafs totally out classed by donating $5000 to both the Toronto and Ottawa food banks) and now this latest incident. Ok, so I may be a little biased and I'm sure Toronto radio hosts have dissed Ottawa to but nothing at this level. One thing is for sure: The Battle of Ontario IV will be war.

lol np did u guys watch the games today i watched the avs game.. yeah i kinda figged tanguay was back when he scored the Avs' second goal ...and gah!!!!!! i should have taken naslund :( he had three points tonite.. oh well t/m im gonna watch the leaf games and hope i pick up some more points :huh:

oh i just heard some anti-ottawa song on the radio based on the hannukah song lol it was hilarious... jack do you know where i could download it, it sounds like sandler singing it one of hte lines in it was "they can give all they gottawa but the cup will never to go ottawa!" lol just something kool i heard thought i should let u guys know..

Tanguay's back? Doh! The reason I didn't pick him is because those lying Avs had him on the injured list and stated his return was uncertain. I truly hate that team.

That song is great!.....

I wish the Calgary was playing the Oilers...that's a fun rivalery....

We lost last night...but we played well and I got points from our defense...

GO FLAMES GO!!!!

^ The only reason Calgary was even in the game is because of the refereeing...I mean 10 penalties against Vancouver...give me a break!

Game two will be tougher for Vancouver though!

Edited by Sman