Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Ponn Farr & Age

I watched the Cloud Minders again today. And Mr. Spock clearly stated that the seven year mating drive was biologically inherent in all Vulcans. Which I just gotta ask. If marriages are arranged do they have to arrange them between people of the exact same age....I mean how do you know they will be on the same schedule?

Age, some people have suggested T'Pol was younger than Spock. I am not sure that is so. Spock had a human mother who was older but not ancient so that would make him about mid to late thirties. He could possibly be as old as mid forties.

In the Seventh we learn T'Pol was adult working for Vulcan security at least seventeen years ago which would also put her at least in mid to late thirties. Plus in Fallen Hero Ambassador V'Lar said that between her and T'Pol, Archer & Trip were dining with the two oldest people on board. If T'Pol was indeed older than Archer that would put her late forties - possibly older than Spock.

I'm thinking Spock and T'Pol are approximately the same age in their respective series with T'Pol possibly being a few years older.

Actually, what I have gleaned from the information provided strictly from TOS, it is the male that undergoes Pon farr and the female who responds through virtue of the bond link. Part of the explanation is given by Spock in Amok Time, when he says they are joined through this mind link at the time of betrothal so that they will come together "at the proper time". I do not believe that it requires both parties to be of the same age, although they might start out that way in the beginning, since they are generally betrothed at age seven.

I think if something goes awry with the engagement, as it certainly did for Spock and T'Pring, that would leave Spock free to choose another mate and since his own father, Sarek, married a human clearly younger than he, that answers your question right there. I also know that books are not considered "canon" and so therefore we generally don't need to accept what is given in one as fact, however, I think that merely applies to novels. In the non-fiction book, "The Making of Star Trek" co-written by Gene Roddenberry himself, it states that Spock's mother, Amanda, was in her late fifties when we meet her in "Journey to Babel". At that time his father states he is 102.4 I believe. That makes him nearly 45 years older than she.

I hope this answers your question.

T'Bree

GEEZE, wouldn't you think they'd have some kind of medication to ease them through these rough days? :laugh:' Ponn-Farr ol ' :laugh:

Did you know the Vulcan libido increases with age?!!?!?!?!?

weird....

...In the non-fiction book, "The Making of Star Trek" co-written by Gene Roddenberry himself, it states that Spock's mother, Amanda, was in her late fifties when we meet her in "Journey to Babel". ...

That was the age she appeared to be in that episode. That would confirm that Spock was at most in his late thirties at the time of TOS.

When Spock appeared in TNG he would have been older than T'Pol was during ENT's time. But an episode of ENT in season three revealed T'Pols age and she is about twice as old as Spock was in the TOS time frame.

When Spock appeared in TNG he would have been older than T'Pol was during ENT's time.  But an episode of ENT in season three revealed T'Pols age and she is about twice as old as Spock was in the TOS time frame.

290493[/snapback]

Yeah, didn't she saw that she's in her sixties or something like that?

As for Vulcan marraiges, I don't think it matters what age they are. They way I understand it Pon Farr is basically just a hormonal change in Vulcans. Kind of like puberty, though Pon Farr is more sudden and more extreme.

T'pol in my view, is what alot of women and girls want to be. To be strong and to be free-willed. I know that Vulcans are a serious people but i think women and girls want to be that way but can't sometimes our society places label in which many girls and women need to follow. But i hope that she will be a long rolemodel to follow for a long time.

T'Pol is in her sixties. Spock did say that pon farr happens every 7 years to every Vulcan. Looks like it's another slip by the editors/writers.