Sign in to follow this  
Xeroc

Essential Phrases

I you're ever thinking about going to any klingon planet, or traveling in a warbird, here are some absolutley essential phrases:

nuqDaq 'oH puchpa''e', - Where is The Bathroom?

juHIvlaHbe' - You Can't Attack Us

choHIvlaHbe' - You Can't Attack Me

bIjeghbe'chugh vaj bIHegh - Surrender Or Die!

jabwI' - server (waiter, waitress)

ghevI' - sauce for gagh

romuluS HIq - Romulan Ale

Qo' - I won't do it! I refuse!

jIyaj - I understand.

ghem - Midnight Snack

'oH - It

ghaH - He/she

jIH - I

nuqDaq - Where?

ghorgh - When?

nuq - What?

HIja' - Yes

HIchDal - Airlock

'oH lIj puqbe' chorghmaH - Is your daughter 18?

ghobe' - No

nuqDaq ta' SoH pol yuch - Where do you keep the chocolate?

Hab SoSlI' Quch! - Your mother has a smooth forehead! (Note: this is a powerful insult; don't say it to friends.)

bIjatlh 'e' yImev - Shut up! (to more than one person: Sujatlh 'e' yImev)

...and, of course...

Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam - Today is a good day to die.

Hopefully you will find the helpful on your next visit to Qo'noS!

http://www.kli.org/

thIngan Hol

Well of course one of my topics I posted gave a link to this site and after I looked at the site I saw how big the Klingon Language really is. I never thought that it was this big! And I also really want to learn it too and of course I hope that everyone else does to.

I am going to buy the book today (last time I went to the book store they had it so hopefully they still do today). But let’s look at what kli.org has . . . . . . .

Klingon Language Postal Course

To take the free Postal Course you need to study and answer the review-questions at the end, and then send them by e-mail to postal@kli.org, or by regular mail (along with a self-addressed stamped envelope) to:

Klingon Language Lessons

c/o Eric Andreen

2323 North Central Avenue, 1801

Phoenix, AZ 85004

Be certain you include sufficient postage to cover two ounces of materials. Your answers will be corrected and returned, and you can then move on to the next lesson.

The Klingon Language was developed by Marc Okrand for several Star Trek films and has continued to be used in each spin-off series. The Language is described fully in The Klingon Dictionary by Marc Okrand and for purposes of these lessons it is assumed you already have a copy. If not, the dictionary may be purchased at your local bookstore or from the KLI itself by visiting our  merchant page at http://www.kli.org/

[ . . . . ]

piqdemo.gif

This actually shows the Klingon Language has there own ABCs / #s, but of course in our practice we will just use our own alphabet.

Everyday Klingon Phrases

(From the site)

Yes. (answer to yes/no question) HIja' or HISlaH

No. (answer to yes/no question) ghobe'

Yes, OK, I'll do it. lu' or luq

No, don't, I won't. Qo'

Hello. (Roughly, "What do you want?") nuqneH

What's happening? qaStaH nuq?

Huh? nuqjatlh?

I understand. jIyaj

I don't understand. jIyajbe'

Good! (expression of satisfaction) maj

Well done! majQa'

Where is the bathroom? nuqDaq 'oH puchpa''e'

Come in yI'el (to more than one person: pe'el)

Come here. HIghoS

Go away. naDevvo' yIghoS (to more than one person: naDevvo' peghoS)

Open the door! lojmIt yIpoSmoH! (See note if you think something is missing here.)

Don't be silly. yIDoghQo' (to more than one person: peDoghQo')

Your mother has a smooth forehead! Hab SoSlI' Quch! (Note: this is a powerful insult; don't say it to friends.)

Today is a good day to die. Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam

We are Klingons! tlhIngan maH!

Happy birthday. qoSlIj DatIvjaj (to more than one person: qoSraj botIvjaj)

What time is it? 'arlogh Qoylu'pu'? (Literally, "How many times has it [presumably some traditional hour alarm] been heard?")

Shut up! bIjatlh 'e' yImev (to more than one person: Sujatlh 'e' yImev)

That's great news! buy' ngop (Literally, "The plates are full")

I know some of them have been posted already here, but some have not.

http://www.kli.org/study/postcourse.html

I would like us as a group to actually do the lessons after we all go out and buy the book.

I hope that there are a few here (besides I) that are willing to participate in this learning process and actually learn Klingon.

How many here want to be part of the group to learn thIngan Hol?

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

I'd love to try, anyway. I wasn't very successful at learning Spanish in High School though. I just bought the book off e-bay, so should have it soon.

Of course I am in (LOL). I was not able / I did not have the time to go to the book store, but I will today and hopefully they will have the book (or the audio book).

Probably in a week we can really get stared and we will work together to try to learn thIngan Hol! We will start with lesson one and then move up from there. And when we start to actually learn thIngan Hol we can have some Role Playing, thIngan Hol games, and other actives. So besides learning the language like we are in school we can have some fun too.

But I am really amazed (like I have stated before) that the thIngan Hol language is so big. I really never thought that it was this big of a deal. Let's have a fun time and enjoy ourselves when we learn this language.

Master Q

Let’s set a date to start before we begin to learn thIngan Hol!

How about this Friday?

The only thing that it seems that you really need to participate is to buy the book “The Klingon Dictionary”. At http://www.kli.org/ it says that it assumes that you have the book. KLI is the official group that has and continues to develop the Klingon language and we will use the lessons that it provides.

However, I’m not here to snap a finger and rush everyone to learn the language. We will take are time before we move from lesson to lesson. This will make sure that we really absorb the new material that we have learned. Like I have stated many times before in this message board this is about having a good time and having fun! We will have some activities, some games, role playing, and so on. These activities (/games / roleplaying / . . . ) will incorporate the use of the Klingon language. It will not only provide some really fun actives and provide lots of fun, but it will also reinforce our goal in learning this language.

I hope that you all enjoy it and encourage others to join in with us.

So is Friday ok with everyone?

And how many already have the book?

Master Q

I guess we’ll start Friday!

And if possible make sure you have the book by then.

I think once we get started and even create a few activates to use / practice the Klingon Language I think we will have a lot of fun!

Until Friday

Master Q

Oooh, I'm in! Always up for a new launguage (I know Braille and Sign Language, but I can't seem to get French...)

I will have to buy the book online, but I am going to try to follow along until I can get it.