Sign in to follow this  
Lt. Evans

Federation president

What race is the federation president supposed to be in Star Trek: Undiscovered Country. Is he a Klingon... if so that make's no sense what-so-ever. Anyone know the answer?

fepres.jpg

What race am I?

I wonder why it is that weird, unknown species are always chosen to be the president. Just take a look at the president seen in the DS9 episode where changlings attack Earth. Bizzare! Edited by Captain Bolivar

I found some trivia on the imdb that clears this up:

-One of the officers on the Saratoga (the one who announces that the thruster controls are offline) is of the same alien race as the Federation President in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (1991). This race has never been officially named, but some promotional materials identify the race as the Efrosians (named after Mel Efros, unit production manager for Star Trek IV).

However, I'm not sure if this can be considered canon.

We need to see a really good and strong Federation President in Trek eventually.

The three guys that they have presented as the leader thus far have been terrible.

the guy in VI plays red forman in that 70s show doesnt he? and rene shows up in that too... as col. West.. chrisitan slater is in that movie too since his mom was the person doin the casting..

He's the same race as the helmsman or was it navigator of the Ship that was first disabled by the whale probe in Star Trek Four...

Sounds like some funny business going on here. Nobody knows how these guys got into office? Sounds kind of fishy to me. I want a recount. We should be able to choose our leaders, right? I know I didn't vote. Anyone else in here vote? I think we need to impeach these guys and start over fresh, maybe in Florida. I hear that's a pretty good place to get what you want in an election. :)

Can former Star Fleet officers become Federation Presidents? You'd think they'd be able to... after all virtually all but two of America's presidents have served in some sort of military organisation.

It's true that they're seperate organisation... but Star Fleet serve the federation. Surely a former Captain or Admiral becoming a President is just an extension of his service to the federation?

Sounds like some funny business going on here.  Nobody knows how these guys got into office?  Sounds kind of fishy to me.  I want a recount.  We should be able to choose our leaders, right?  I know I didn't vote.  Anyone else in here vote?  I think we need to impeach these guys and start over fresh, maybe in Florida. I hear that's a pretty good place to get what you want in an election. :drool:

LOL! That just tickled me.

Edited by Miss Satoire

It's true that they're seperate organisation... but Star Fleet serve the federation. Surely a former Captain or Admiral becoming a President is just an extension of his service to the federation?

maybe but i doube people would want that in office since the admiral/captian might tend to be biased

Yes, but that never stopped Presidents who were former navy, army, air force or marine getting elected. People like warriors to be in charge, they think things will get done and they enemy will fear their leader so there won't be a war.

Moreover, that wouldn't stop an Admiral or a Captain at least trying to run for office... just because we don't know of a former Captain, Commodore or Admiral running for office doesn't mean it would never happen.

Sounds like some funny business going on here.  Nobody knows how these guys got into office?  Sounds kind of fishy to me.  I want a recount.  We should be able to choose our leaders, right?  I know I didn't vote.  Anyone else in here vote?  I think we need to impeach these guys and start over fresh, maybe in Florida. I hear that's a pretty good place to get what you want in an election. :dude:

Heh heh. Good one.

It all goes back to the idea that the Trek Earth is totalitarian in my opinion.

Although it isn't canon in the novel "The Return" it is mentioned that Sulu was Federation president at one time. So if that is true then it is possible for former Starfleet officers to run for President.

i doubt they can serve a full term in office since starfleet and the federation are completly different governments.. unless there is an emergency situation

Stoned, Somehow I doubt someone on active duty, or even in the Starfleet Reserves, if such a thing exists, would be permitted to serve as president. if you want to make comparisons to the American government, the President of the United States may NOT hold another job in the Federal Government (including the Military) while President.

Even if someone is an active military officer won't stop them from being a candidate for the presidency...... that's why even though Colin Powell has been active, every four years he's always been considered a viable candidate for running for president. He would merely have to step down from his military position while in office, just like a civilian president would have to relinquish control of any business ventures he might've had going on.

Oh, and Starfleet and the Federation are definitely not separate governments. Technically Starfleet isn't a government at all. It's kind of like a funky mix of a military branch and NASA. It totally answers to the Federation, the government that it is appointed under. Just another agency.

What race is the federation president supposed to be in Star Trek: Undiscovered Country. Is he a Klingon... if so that make's no sense what-so-ever. Anyone know the answer?

fepres.jpg

What race am I?

163323[/snapback]

I had thought he was a Klingon, or at least half Klingon when I first saw the film. But other than that I have no idea what race he is...

fepres.jpg

What race am I?

163323[/snapback]

I had thought he was a Klingon, or at least half Klingon when I first saw the film. But other than that I have no idea what race he is...

307574[/snapback]

Deltan Male? (same species as Iliea from TMP)

That particular Federation president comes from the planet Redforma. The RedFormans are a cantankerous race. Their principal offensive weaponary consists of putting their foot up the butt of anyone violating their space.

It has alway annoyed me that the Federation is made up of all these different worlds which probably have the same population of earth and yet the crews of star fleet vessels always just have one or two and loads of humans/human-alien hybrids. This unknown species member is at the head of the UFP. it's just bizarre. I thought the white haired dude was kinda cool though.

fepres.jpg

What race am I?

163323[/snapback]

307574[/snapback]

Deltan Male? (same species as Iliea from TMP)

307582[/snapback]

oh, ok. Except for Iliea.. I had not seen, or at least remember seeing another Deltan either male or female.

I Do Not Think It Was Ever Said

I Am now Told Iam wrong His Race Was said in the motion picture.

i guess the federation Pres. Is like the head of the UN, nobody can ever remember where he is from and what his name is

So, an alien sits as president of UFP on earth, home of the humans and yet, the Preator of the Romulan empire happened to be human. Mebbe a Trible should be Chancellor of the Klingon empire. Weird... just weird. I hope we'll see a human president soon.

That's like saying that the President of the United States should only be from Washington D.C.

Well keep in mind that the Federation is made of of hundreds of worlds (Earth, Vulcan, Andoria, Betazed). The capital just happens to be on Earth.