Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

Did you notice?

I heard this right off the bat but wanted to see if anyone would mention it here before saying anything. Since I haven't seen anything about it I will mention it before I forget.

When Archer was on the Enterprise-J and Daniels was explaining about the Federation (which seemed like a bit of a violation of the Temporal Prime DIrective) he mentioned the races that make up the Federation.

The Federation

He says the Klingons are part of the Federation, so from this we can assume that the Klingon Empire will one day "fold" as we know it now and join the Federation. Much the way the Soviet Union folded and now wants to join NATO.

I think it's just massive violation of the temporal prime directive...

I thought that the temporal age was in the 29th century with Braxton...

None of the major races in Star Trek should be written into the Federation.

It simply makes them bland and dull.

The Federation should consist of Humans (as the focal point), Vulcans (as exposition characters) and some minor races like the Trill, Betazoids, Bolians etc....

The Andorians for example should be seperated from the Federation and developed as an independent nation.

They're already written in for the future. The Andorians are part of the founders of the Federation, writing them out would be a major revision of "history".

The Federation should consist of Humans (as the focal point), Vulcans (as exposition characters) and some minor races like the Trill, Betazoids, Bolians etc....

The Andorians for example should be seperated from the Federation and developed as an independent nation.

352053[/snapback]

I agree.

I was glad when the Bajorans didn't join the UFP.The Federation consists of far too many races and cultures.In reality it would never work.Take the UN.That barely works,and it's members are all human.

The Klingons would never join the Federation.

They're already written in for the future. The Andorians are part of the founders of the Federation, writing them out would be a major revision of "history".

A founder member of the Federation leaving the Federation could BE a dramatic story point in a future series.

As for the Klingons joining the Federation in a future scenario, there is nothing written in Star Trek that can't be altered.

Future scenarios are "possible" outcomes. Nothing is written in stone.

...there is nothing written in Star Trek that can't be altered.

352059[/snapback]

That's correct, but it hasn't been altered. It stands where it is, and that is with a time traveler telling Archer that the Klingons are part of the Federation in his century.

That may be altered in a future series or movie, but until that happens Star Trek Enterprise has established that the Klingons will join the Federation.

That's correct, but it hasn't been altered. It stands where it is, and that is with a time traveler telling Archer that the Klingons are part of the Federation in his century.

That may be altered in a future series or movie, but until that happens Star Trek Enterprise has established that the Klingons will join the Federation.

True, but I think any writer who decides to stick to that particular story is making a terrible mistake. Major races and nations like the Klingons are best developed as a unique and seperate element.

The "How Would A Klingon Cope In Starfleet/Federation?" thing has been done to death, and done very well with the superb character of Worf.

352053[/snapback]

I agree.

I was glad when the Bajorans didn't join the UFP.The Federation consists of far too many races and cultures.In reality it would never work.Take the UN.That barely works,and it's members are all human.

The Klingons would never join the Federation.

352056[/snapback]

The Bajorans are Federation members as of the end of DS9. This has never been explicitly stated but the Star Charts books name them members (and the re-establishment of the New Bajor colony). The novel Articles of the Federation also includes Bajor as a member (General Krim from The Circle storyline is the councillor for Bajor).

As for the Klingons, I don't think it is impossible for them to become members of the Federation. The Federation is only going to continue to expand and the Klingons could easily experience another Praxis like event that cripples them and forces them to join. Articles of the Federation also makes it seem like the Romulans could be forced to join, they are very crippled by the fall of two governments in succession. Say what you want about Nemesis but it set up some very interesting political ramifications.

I can't really see how the Klingons are going to be absorbed into the Federation. It is true that the Federation will allow each member to retain its own culture and way of life but it does also have certain guidelines that I can't see the Klingons adopting. They would have to completely change their judicairy and penal systems, no more fighting to the death for the sake of honour without fear of reprisal from authorities.

Apparently it's going to happen but I don't understand how it will work. Maybe they will simply remain allys of the Federation and Daniels just mentiond them as part of the Federation in that manner.

It could happen by a larger threat or shock to the whole galaxy forcing them to work together, just as the appearance of the Vulcans on Earth after WWIII forced humans to stop the petty bickering and work together.

If this cataclysmic event or shock forced a long term cooperation, then the Federation might the best vehicle for managing the cooperation.

And who knows whether or not the addition of the Klingons forces an evolution in the Federation...for example more autonomy for the various planets.

I like the idea of the Klingons entering into the Federation. It would just be a great plot line. I think that it might still be an effect from the Dominion War, and maybe even financial problems starting as far back as the Praxis explosion.

I wonder how Starfleet would deal with the Klingon fleet, and the Klingon's having cloaking devices. That would piss off the Romulans so bad.

Speaking of the Romulans, Daniels didn't say the Romulans, but that doesn't rule out the possability of re-unification.

I know it would remove two of Trek's best villain races, but just the thought of uniting the quadrant in a way that had never been considered before is such a cool thought.