Sign in to follow this  
TransporterMalfunction

Romulan Issue

When we eventually see the Romulan war starting to build up how do you think the producers are going to combat the continuity issue that the crew are not mean't to know what the Romulans look like until the time of TOS?

I'm hoping that we only see the ships and have no personal contact with them.Or perhaps their faces could be covered or masked somehow. In 'The Balance of Terror' most of the crew's features were covered by headwear except for the top officers I believe. Maybe they can do a similar thing on Enterprise. However I would prefer just to see the ships, just to have space battles..It'll be interesting to see how they end up handling it..

I think the best coarse of action would be to have the ENT crew interract with the Remans while the audience see the Romulans.

Yes but aren't the Remans meant to be hidden away on Remus because the Romulans consider then a lesser class?

I'm not saying that we won't see them but I'm not sure that we would because I don't think the Romulans would give them the opportunity to get on their best ships, the only reason they did in DS9 was because of the dire situation against the Dominion.

I know I've been one to advocate the action adventure aspects but I'm thinking it might be wise to have the war dealt with off screen for the most part. The war takes 4 years to complete and would consume the final years (assuming it runs 7 seasons). Maybe have some episodes that deal with it but not anything like we are seeing with the Xindi. I'm more interested in seeing the budding relationship with the Andorians and the foundation of the Federation.

I say who cares about the Romulan war!!!! I don't want them to make Enterprise based all around a war strictly because of ONE Star Trek episode made nearly FORTY YEARS AGO. If it suits the series and can be done in a manner that justifies it for the sake of ENTEPRISE and NOT A MERE MENTIONING then go for it. If a different story would do enterprise better justice then do that instead. It's good for the stories to flow from one series to another but if the writters can't have a little freedom to write something that will work on the screen then Enterprise will suffer a horrible fate. It is afterall all based on ONE episode. It isn't very significant. If we can't see past that then the whole series may be doomed not by the writters writing something that isn't good, but by the fans who force the writters to write something that isn't good because we don't want it to contradict ONE EPISODE of a show that aired so long ago that my mom wasn't old enough to watch the show. Geez. I support writer creativity and new ideas... not old ones! That's my thought for tonight.

I think they need to stick to the established timeline but they don't have to portray all of it on the TV. THe Romulan War can take place just as it was set up in TOS but Enterprise doesn't have to be involved in it.

There are many many ships in the US Navy that didn't take part in the Iraq war so Enterprise can be a Starfleet ship that doesn't take part in the Romulan war.

I may have my timeline skewed but doesn't Enterprise take place some years before the Romulan War could take place? Enterprise is a prototype, Earth would need more than just 1 ship to fight a war with the Romulans. I would think it would take several years if not decades to build enough ships to have a fleet. Of course the screenwriter who put those lines in TOS story probably didn't think anyone would be pondereing them decades later I'll wager. :clap:

Here's my theory:

The Romulans only have a small fleet since they have not yet had the "alliance" with the Klingons, seen in TOS. Wouldn't it make since for a small Starfleet, Vulcan fleet, Andorian fleet, and a Romulan fleet to fight a war based on strategic attacks and not all out wat as seen on DS9? This way, only a fourth or so of the season would actually deal with the war, or maybe just the occasional episode. Heck, they could even make it a cold war like the one between the US and Russia. To portray the Earth/Romulan war as a cold war might be the best way to go. Durring this cold war, we could see the building of the Earth/Vulcan/Andorian alliance. What do you guys think?

Star Trek is an episodic show by format, so I don't think it'd be fair to ignore a TOS episode because it's "old". If the franchise had an arc structure, I'd say go for it, but due to the episodic nature, I think all the episodes should be taken into account, especially when an entire episode revolves arround a historic event for our fictional characters.

Here's my theory:

The Romulans only have a small fleet since they have not yet had the "alliance" with the Klingons, seen in TOS.  Wouldn't it make since for a small Starfleet, Vulcan fleet, Andorian fleet, and a Romulan fleet to fight a war based on strategic attacks and not all out wat as seen on DS9?  This way, only a fourth or so of the season would actually deal with the war, or maybe just the occasional episode.  Heck, they could even make it a cold war like the one between the US and Russia.  To portray the Earth/Romulan war as a cold war might be the best way to go.  Durring this cold war, we could see the building of the Earth/Vulcan/Andorian alliance.  What do you guys think?

Star Trek is an episodic show by format, so I don't think it'd be fair to ignore a TOS episode because it's "old".  If the franchise had an arc structure, I'd say go for it, but due to the episodic nature, I think all the episodes should be taken into account, especially when an entire episode revolves arround a historic event for our fictional characters.

That would be great.

They could include talk about technology (cloaking, disruptors) and even have an equivelant to the race for the moon: like settlement on a certain planet or so. And if the conflict became violent, then like CJLP said, the Andorians and Vulcans could be included as a defence fleet for Earth and human colonies. Possibly is could be in the terms of a treaty between the races which might resolve the border disputes between the Andorians and Vulcans.

I may have my timeline skewed but doesn't Enterprise take place some years before the Romulan War could take place? Enterprise is a prototype, Earth would need more than just 1 ship to fight a war with the Romulans. I would think it would take several years if not decades to build enough ships to have a fleet. Of course the screenwriter who put those lines in TOS story probably didn't think anyone would be pondereing them decades later I'll wager. :clap:

The Romulan War takes place from 2156 to 2160. Right now in the Enterprise timeline it's 2154.

If I remember correctly the war was between Earth and Romulus, the Vulcans and Andorians weren't directly involved were they? Didn't they say the Federation was formed after this war?

If I remember correctly the war was between Earth and Romulus, the Vulcans and Andorians weren't directly involved were they? Didn't they say the Federation was formed after this war?

Yeah the Federation is formed in 2161.

Romulan War Thoughts:

Per Star Trek Canon- Historical Facts- If the Star Trek Chronology Holds Water

Romulan War-begins 2156. It's between Earth and Romulans- it was stated by Spock that it was fought with "primitive atomic weapons" and the Romulan fleet not even equipped with warp drive. "Homefront" (DS9) implies that the war reached Earth and that civilians were killed. Romulan War ends 2160 by the Battle of Cheron- where the Romulans suffer a humiliating military defeat by Earth Forces-"The Defector"(TNG) also see "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield"(TOS) The battle of charon may refer to the planet Cheron. Romulan peace treaty signed..(1st Treaty of Algeron-2160) conjecture...not to be confused with the Treaty of Algeron-2311 which prohibits Federation from developing cloaking technology. Peace treaty establishes the ROMULAN NEUTRAL ZONE and is negotiated by sub-space communications-no face to face contact.

The Romulan War is so important to STAR TREK Canon and the Neutral Zone has always been a central plot point in so many shows....there's no way it can be avoided....but yes the NX01 does not have to be involved....but then again how can it not....the two powers in the conflict are suppose to be equally balanced in terms of ships and technology which results in a draw...stalemate...cold war. It's because of the reference to primitive atomic weapons that I have been critical of the producers introducing Proton Torpedos this early in the series...I thought the war with the Romulans should have been presented while Enterprise still used those crude missiles. As for the no face to face contact that's easy....instead of the Romulans not having warp drive--maybe they never see the need for visual communications....maybe they shoot first and never stop to hail. Since the Romulans and the Vulcans have been established as being distant kin..I guess that's just more information that the vulcans have been not forthcoming in reveling to the humans...that non-disclosure issue the vulcans have!

Does it matter? I say let the Star Trek producers do what they want with the Romulans. If you want my opinion, I say get all alien races, Romulans and the other Federation Deadly enemy, and get them all together for an major upcoming war...War with the Borg. The Borg are deadliest enemy of all star trek. :waaaa:

Ok, if the Romulans and Humans never speak to each other... and the Romulans don't even have WARP engines... why would the Romulans even have a motive to wage war? Without warp they would be stuck in their own little solar system VERY far away from Earth. That would be like people on Earth (in our present) deciding to go to war with some planet way way out there... we couldn't do it, and we wouldn't even have a reason. The whole thing doesn't make much sense. If they write this into the story of Enterprise, I think it will end up being highly critisized... if they don't... that would be critisized too. It's just a messy situation. Also, how is Earth supposed to accumulate ships to deal with a war in just 2 years? They didn't even get ONE extra ship ready in THREE!

Ok, if the Romulans and Humans never speak to each other... and the Romulans don't even have WARP engines... why would the Romulans even have a motive to wage war?  Without warp they would be stuck in their own little solar system VERY far away from Earth.  That would be like people on Earth (in our present) deciding to go to war with some planet way way out there... we couldn't do it, and we wouldn't even have a reason.  The whole thing doesn't make much sense.  If they write this into the story of Enterprise, I think it will end up being highly critisized... if they don't... that would be critisized too.  It's just a messy situation.  Also, how is Earth supposed to accumulate ships to deal with a war in just 2 years?  They didn't even get ONE extra ship ready in THREE!

The Romulans do have warp drive, it's just a fan assumption that they don't. There was no "visual communication", but thanks to NEMESIS, Archer and crew can deal with Reman slaves. As for Starfleet, they have other, slower ships and should have 4 NX-class ships by season 4 unless the NX-01 is destroyed in which case one of the new NX-class ships will probably be renamed Enterprise.

DS9 had all out war and ENT S3 has the Xindi conflict. I think a Romulan cold war would work best on ENT, that way only a handful of episodes per season would be war centric and we could stick to explorring and the founding of the UFP arc. :waaaa:

Click for Spoiler:

av-812.jpg

That Romulan ship (Bird-of-Prey, right? Or was it Warbird...) in "Minefield" was cool.....

I'd like to see Romulans on ENT, but only in a way that doesn't wrecks with continuity with "The Balance of Terror" (TOS).....

Andorians on ENT is good, not-so-much with Klingons, and Tellarites, but they haven't really did much with them, except mention them in "Carbon Creek" and seeing one in "Bounty"....

Still, it would be enjoyable to see the Romulan/Earth War of the 2160's, but in movie form.....

Click for Spoiler:

desert7.jpg

tzintro1-1.giftzintro1-2.giftzintro2.giftzintro3.gif

:tear::tear: :) :waaaa:

doctorwho42avenger@hotmail.com

Doctor Who official website

Doctor Who: The Best Links

USS Aurora NX-19 of the year 2154 AD

The Adventures of drwho42 continues....

320x240.jpg

announce.jpg

'And Now For Something Completely Different....'-Announcer

Monty Python's Flying Circus

aurora.jpg

Ok, if the Romulans and Humans never speak to each other... and the Romulans don't even have WARP engines... why would the Romulans even have a motive to wage war?  Without warp they would be stuck in their own little solar system VERY far away from Earth.  That would be like people on Earth (in our present) deciding to go to war with some planet way way out there... we couldn't do it, and we wouldn't even have a reason.  The whole thing doesn't make much sense.  If they write this into the story of Enterprise, I think it will end up being highly critisized... if they don't... that would be critisized too.  It's just a messy situation.  Also, how is Earth supposed to accumulate ships to deal with a war in just 2 years?  They didn't even get ONE extra ship ready in THREE!

The Romulans do have warp drive, it's just a fan assumption that they don't. There was no "visual communication", but thanks to NEMESIS, Archer and crew can deal with Reman slaves. As for Starfleet, they have other, slower ships and should have 4 NX-class ships by season 4 unless the NX-01 is destroyed in which case one of the new NX-class ships will probably be renamed Enterprise.

DS9 had all out war and ENT S3 has the Xindi conflict. I think a Romulan cold war would work best on ENT, that way only a handful of episodes per season would be war centric and we could stick to explorring and the founding of the UFP arc. :waaaa:

Click for Spoiler:

av-812.jpg

Ok, I changed my mind on the having the Romulan/Earth War in movie form...

On television, there can be many episodes of it, but it's going to be awhile before they win it.....

Click for Spoiler:

desert7.jpg

tzintro1-1.giftzintro1-2.giftzintro2.giftzintro3.gif

:tear: :) :) :tear:

doctorwho42avenger@hotmail.com

Doctor Who official website

Doctor Who: The Best Links

USS Aurora NX-19 of the year 2154 AD

The Adventures of drwho42 continues....

320x240.jpg

announce.jpg

'And Now For Something Completely Different....'-Announcer

Monty Python's Flying Circus

aurora.jpg

The Romulans do have warp drive, it's just a fan assumption that they don't.  There was no "visual communication", but thanks to NEMESIS, Archer and crew can deal with Reman slaves.  As for Starfleet, they have other, slower ships and should have 4 NX-class ships by season 4 unless the NX-01 is destroyed in which case one of the new NX-class ships will probably be renamed Enterprise.

DS9 had all out war and ENT S3 has the Xindi conflict.  I think a Romulan cold war would work best on ENT, that way only a handful of episodes per season would be war centric and we could stick to explorring and the founding of the UFP arc. :P

Ok, so the Romulans do have warp drive. That would make sense seeing as how they have cloaking devices which are more advanced than a warp drive.

Now here's my 1st question: With only 4 NX class ships, how would Starfleet be any kind of match for the Romulans who have cloaking technology and probably many ships?

Secondly, the Romulan's would more than likely strike first which would more than likely reduce the number of NX class ships down to 3 or less. Also, in Balance of Terror we see a nuclear bomb used against the 1701 which has energy based shields. Even thought Kirk moved the ship away from the explosion it left his ship severely crippled.

How would a ship without energy shields have the slightest hope of surviving a nuclear blast?

And lastly, if Enterprise isn't a large part of the war effort and explores for the majority of the season it would mean that Starfleet would be using 1 less ship. So if antoher is destroyed in a preemptive strike by the Romulans Starfleet would only have 2 ships to fight the Romulan's with. If Starfleet only has 3 ships for example, why would they decide not to use all 3 even though all 3 wouldn't even be enough?

I think this would make it unrealistic for Enterprise to be exploring and what not during any Romulan war. This Romulan war is just not adding up.

Edited by Captain Bolivar

The TOS Enterprise was crippled in just about every episode I've seen, so I don't know how to comment on the Romulan warhead. :P

Maybe they could do a cold war? An attack here, and attack there, but it would mostly be thearts back and forth till something happens. Good idea? Perhaps the war is mostly a cold war, then breaks out into all out war when Starfleet has more ships for a few months. The Romulans would then be defeated by the Human/Vulcan/Andorian alliance. :P

Starfleet very likely has many more ships that are not NX class, but they can always build more. Necessity is the mother of invention.

Also, in Balance of Terror we see a nuclear bomb used against the 1701 which has energy based shields.  Even thought Kirk moved the ship away from the explosion it left his ship severely crippled.  How would a ship without energy shields have the slightest hope of surviving a nuclear blast?

They did it in the new Battlestar Galactica and it looked OK, but the easiest thing would be to avoid them.

I do like your alliance idea! The partnership in the war would help the process of founding the Federation. The only problem with that idea is that the Vulcans and Andorians would need a reason to join the war. Perhaps it could be that the Romulans pick a fight with them as well, thus drawing them into it. But then again, why would the Romulan's pick a fight with 3 species? That isn't a good strategy if you catch my drift.

The TOS Enterprise was crippled in just about every episode I've seen, so I don't know how to comment on the Romulan warhead. :P

How many have you seen?

How would a ship without energy shields have the slightest hope of surviving a nuclear blast?

They have Travis, the best pilot that ever was! :P

And lastly, if Enterprise isn't a large part of the war effort and explores for the majority of the season it would mean that Starfleet would be using 1 less ship.  So if antoher is destroyed in a preemptive strike by the Romulans Starfleet would only have 2 ships to fight the Romulan's with.  If Starfleet only has 3 ships for example, why would they decide not to use all 3 even though all 3 wouldn't even be enough?

Starfleet has several, smaller ships. The NX-class is just their newest design.

I think this would make it unrealistic for Enterprise to be exploring and what not during any Romulan war.  This Romulan war is just not adding up.

Agreed, which is why a cold war would be the best way to go. It'd also offer us a different perspective than what we got on DS9.

Edited by Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Ok...(1) it wasn't a "fan Assumption" that the Romulans don't have warp drive at this point in time- it was Spock that made the comment in (TOS) so as I understand it anything uttered by a principle character becomes "canon"- and I very much understand that it has to be overlooked because of course ...how could they have interstellar travel without warp tech.

Captain Bolivar:

And lastly, if Enterprise isn't a large part of the war effort and explores for the majority of the season it would mean that Starfleet would be using 1 less ship. So if another is destroyed in a preemptive strike by the Romulans Starfleet would only have 2 ships to fight the Romulan's with. If Starfleet only has 3 ships for example, why would they decide not to use all 3 even though all 3 wouldn't even be enough?

I think this would make it unrealistic for Enterprise to be exploring and what not during any Romulan war. This Romulan war is just not adding up. [end quote]

That was what I meant by "how can the Enterprise not be involved...it takes a fleet of ships to have this war with the Romulans....and Earth will have (2 total) in a couple months...and the war is suppose to begin in two years...the Enterprise will have to be involved unless Earth starts slapping together/ cranking out them puppies soon.

Edited by headborg

The Romulan War should not be ignored and should be made to conform as much as possible to Spocks statements in TOS. I personally dont like the fact that Enterprise has phase weapons, photon torpedoes, transporters and the Romulans have a cloaking device in the 22nd century. That would give them a big advantage over a less advanced SF. I'm willing to overlook the fact that the Romulans have Warp drive. The writers could just state that its very primitive. ialways though that this war was the catalyst in forming the Federation. Plus I've always thought that SF has more vessels but the other ships are far less advanced and may not be as useful in a fight which makes the NX-01 even more important.

Edited by Admiral Kirk

The TOS Enterprise was crippled in just about every episode I've seen, so I don't know how to comment on the Romulan warhead. :)

How many have you seen?

How many have you seen?