Rate Star Trek XI  

103 members have voted

1. 1. What rating would you give Star Trek XI?

• 5. It's great, I loved it!
    • 4. It's good.
    • 3. It's average
    • 2. It's not that good
    • 1. I hated it!

Actually, most of the stuff on your list can we worked around, same as the stuff in Star Trek XI.

That is exactly my point. If we want to write off XI as not being canon then we have to write off *all* of Trek as not being canon. Clearly that option would not be acceptable to us

It's like trying a new dish. Some things we like right off the bat, some things we hope to eventually develop a taste for, and some things (like the new Chekov) we just have to hold our nose, get it down as fast as possible, and rinse our mouth out afterwards. It is either that or we better order something else because that is the way Trek has always been and always will be.

Well, all of our poll results for the past week were lost and we must now try to get the numbers back to where they were. I'm really disappointed that they were lost, I really wanted an accurate reading of the opening days of the movie and how people were rating it.

From the best of my memory we had 50 votes that broke down like this.

5. It's great, I loved it! [ 35 ]

4. It's good. [ 1 ]

3. It's average [ 0 ]

2. It's not that good [ 6 ]

1. I hated it! [ 8 ]

I'm not positive on that though. I think that the 5 star rating was at 66.67%, meaning a two thirds approval.

Please vote again.

Well, all of our poll results for the past week were lost and we must now try to get the numbers back to where they were. I'm really disappointed that they were lost, I really wanted an accurate reading of the opening days of the movie and how people were rating it.

4. It's good. [ 1 ]

3. It's average [ 0 ]

1. I hated it! [ 8 ]

I'm not positive on that though. I think that the 5 star rating was at 66.67%, meaning a two thirds approval.

Please vote again.

I think you have the numbers right there.

4. It's good. [ 1 ]

3. It's average [ 0 ]

1. I hated it! [ 8 ]

Please vote again.

I think you have the numbers right there.

They might be sligtly off, I'm almost sure that the top one was 66.67% but the re-constructed poll doesn't quite add up. I think it's about as close as I'll be able to get it unless someone else knows for sure the numbers.

Okay, I saw 11. Not sure if I can put spoilers in here, so I won't...But I am sorry that they screwed with the established history. Sure, it can be explained away with one little comment as "parallel universes" or "alternate reality" or even "new timeline," but I am not happy with the changes. The "love interest" in the film pissed me off, along with what happened to that VERY familiar planet that we all know of being destroyed. If I wanted that, I'd read the fanfic more often. Screwing with the history, which in my opinion is EXACTLY what they did, messes it all up for the new fans. In 20 years, I don't want to be debating with fans of the new movie about how these things didn't happen, because they had 5 TV shows that took place AFTER this movie in the timeline. I am sorry, but that is just pissing on those series. So they might get a new fan base out of this, and maybe make more films. Good for the product's accessibility and recognition...But for the record, I am certain that the main audience that showed up to see this fiasco was ESTABLISHED fans. There was simply not enough in the film to appease me, and I felt that I was slapped in the face. So now, any little brat that saw the movie can claim he knows as much as I do about the brand because he saw one movie??? I am insulted. I own hundreds of the novels, all the series, all the films, and have the largest personal collection in Florida. I am third on the eastern seaboard in the US. I have much knowledge, have WORKED ON THE TV SHOWS, and now am reduced to nostalgia and fighting with kids for the immediate future about what in this movie doesn't fit with the original ESTABLISHED history. Paramount, you messed up. Abrams, you can go kill yourself. FOr the rest of you that enjoyed it, great, I am happy for you. But I am just not in so much need for a new film that I would just be happy they finally did something again with this flop. Make a DS9 reunion, throw a Voyager movie out there, hell, even ENTERPRISE wouldn't have pissed me off this much. And I didn't like that show AT ALL! But for them to ignore canon and everything to THIS degree was just a major insult to me. Far as I am concerned, I know the guy at the theater who let me watch it for free, and I want a refund. Paramount sent me a copy of the script beforehand as a courtesy. I purposely didn't read it way back when so I could enjoy the film. So much for THAT theory. They just sent me the novel version of it. I am planning a seance in my yard soon to burn the book and try to contact the Great Bird for guidance. I am sure he is rolling around in his grave now, as he was when Enterprise ruined the somewhat-wholesome aspect of the series' that all started when Brannon "The %#%#" Braga put his girlfriend on Voyager and fired Jennifer Lien so there would be more T&A. And forcing T'Pol down our throats when HOSHI was who we all wanted was just an extension of the same attitude that this "new thinking" has given us. I can watch TOS and smirk at the sets and action sequences, but still hold it dear because even with the hokey stuff, it was groundbreaking and PART OF SOMETHING BIGGER. And while I don't love TOS, I still rank it above Enterprise because it wasn't all about forcing a chick down my throat and attempting to give me wood before the second commercial. The story kept the channel unchanged, and this film had none of that. We all know that it is a different take, fine. But it couldn't have been farther away, really. Chekov? How'd he get on board so quickly? Spock is a Commander, while Kirk is a cadet/engisn? Come on. I liked the ending, it was cool to drop the 7 where they should be. But too many continuity issues and blatant disregard to the canon made it tough to watch. And to be QUITE honest, the ship looked bulky and weird as hell. Seriously, it doesn't look streamlined or anything. I will NOT buy a toy ship of that poorly-whittled design. And if any of you disagree with me and think I am pissing on this movie too much, it is no worse that the pissing on Trek that Abrams and Co. has done. Except that I am doing it in front of maybe a few thousand people...Not MILLIONS. I also didn't make a cent by writing this here, but he made a whole lot. He should use that money to invest in Star Trek novels and the episodes, so he doesn't make the same mistake again. Either that or Kevlar body armor, because someone more irate than me would be tempted to take a shot at him for this crappy movie. Feel free to rip me, agree, comment yourselves, it makes little difference to me. I feel the way I do because I was cheated. I hardly ever post in here, so I don't care to debate the topic at all. Say whatever you want, but I DO have some valid points in here. Whether you think they are warranted or not is a personal choice you have to make. It is basically, do you feel it is okay to pretend that the other work done in the past should be acknowledged and respected enough to not be changed, or is it just a passing interest to you in order tyo be entertained at any cost? I like stability. I am reasonable, Data CAN use a contraction in my eyes. But it doesn't mean that I can ignore this movei, where the BIG STUFF was messed with. I am done.

As a Trekker for the past 40+ years, I went to see the movie prepared to be disappointed. I was NOT disappointed. They have reinvented ST. I would like to point out that there is no Star Trek XI. This film is simply named Star Trek as in TOS. It's a reboot of the franchise, and hopefully will be the first of many. It's a 5.

I thought the writing was good my 15 yr old son who has never wanted to watch Start trek with his MOM :superhappy: was able to understand it .I enjoyed it my son said it ROCKED . :spock: the hole theater laughed when "Bones" said Jim I'm a doctor not a physicist.

Hello all you Trekkers (New and Old alike),

Let me explain myself on this review of the NEW MOVIE!

First I am a fan of all the TOS, NexGen and Enterprise series. I could do without Voyager and never really took a whole lot of time with DS9. The movies, well I liked them all, even the bad ones.

As to the new ST Movie, it is GREAT to see the series be re-born. I am just not sure how the future of the story line will workout. In the 2 plus hours, I saw many issues that made me wonder how the previous adventures would be changed with the NEW little changes. J.J. Abrams may be a great director and producer but a Trekker.....well let us just say "The jury is still out on that".

The film was action packed, there was always something on the screne trying to draw your attention. The quality of the actors was probably the best attempt of any to bring the essence of the original actors back to life. Each character had obviously had done their homework or had serious coaching.

As you may or may not know, Paramount has already (Feb 2009) signed J.J. Abrams to due the next Star Trek movie. In the next movie it is where we will all see what kind of future we have for Star Trek. Psst...there is a rumor that SciFi has made a pitch to have the rights for an attempt at a new Star Trek series, lets see what happens.

Over all, the new movie was GOOD. To many issues for Trekker to say it was great. But this could be a Re-Boot that allows this icon to continue for another 40 years with NEW and OLD fans alike.

Best wishes to all, "Live Long and Prosper".

I went to the movie today, and I loved it, even though some aspects I did not like. What I liked best about it was that it was at the level of the original series..not a lot of swearing, not a lot 'bareness.' But Kirk was still a talented rascal, Spock still struggling with who he was. As someone who watched the original series when it was on air, it felt like old times in many ways.

I don't expect to see rigidly followed 'canon' when I see anything that purports to be a prequel. Still I think they could do a better job with it if they wanted to. But the departures I see are not enough to make me dislike Enterprise or this film. I really, really enjoyed the latest Star Trek movie, and I, who rarely go to the theater, want to see it again so much that I will probably pay to see it a couple of more times. I rated it a 5.

I gave it a 5 as well.

Forget "Canon Violations" and all that stuff. It was an entertaining movie and a lot of fun to watch.

I'm looking forward to it coming out on Blu-Ray. _popcorn__by_MenInASuitcase.gif

4. It's good. [ 1 ]

3. It's average [ 0 ]

1. I hated it! [ 8 ]

Please vote again.

There was one person who gave it a "4" when there were 50 votes. Now 3 people gave it a "4" when there are significantly less votes.

4. It's good. [ 1 ]

3. It's average [ 0 ]

1. I hated it! [ 8 ]

Please vote again.

There was one person who gave it a "4" when there were 50 votes. Now 3 people gave it a "4" when there are significantly less votes.

We have a few new members, plus a few members that have logged in for the first time in a few years. Probably because I sent out an email a few hours ago asking people to come rate the movie.

Of course there's always the possibility that some people that gave it a 5 before have now changed their votes.

It's good action sci fi movie, but it reminded me too much of LOST/BackToThe Future/Star Wars. As a Star Trek movie it was bad. You don't want my review. All I have to say is, JJ cheated.

It's good action sci fi movie, but it reminded me too much of LOST/BackToThe Future/Star Wars. As a Star Trek movie it was bad. You don't want my review. All I have to say is, JJ cheated.

Please do give your review, good or bad we'd like to have all opinions. If for nothing else we want to document the various reactions.

Just be sure to use the spoiler tags to hide any plot spoilers. But all reviews are welcome, whether they're scathingly bad reviews or excitedly good reviews. I think they're all important to give the "flavor of the moment" so that years down the road we can see what the thoughts were.

I voted yesterday & forgot to say I loved it! I was very surprised by that, since it's a reboot that changes things. One of the reasons it worked for me (besides the fact that it ROCKED!) is that they did a good job (imho) of explaining how & why things would be different from now on.

I saw a whopper of a spoiler (that wasn't hidden) a couple of days before I saw the movie...

Click for Spoiler:

about the destruction of Vulcan.

...and thought I'd hate it because of that info. Much to my surprise, I understood why it was done (but I still don't like it), and I can get used to it eventually.

What's really cool is that now there's 2 versions of the Star Trek franchise (which looks like it'll continue), so we can pick one or the other, or enjoy both. It's a win/win situation. :superhappy:

For anyone that voted before today, please vote again. The original poll was lost.

Just re-voted (5). :superhappy:

I thoroughly enjoyed Start Trek XI from beginning to end. J.J. Abrams, Robert Orci and Alex Kurtzman performed an amazing job rebooting the franchise. This film is beautifully cast. I especially enjoyed seeing Leonard Nimoy and Zachary Quinto in this film. Using time travel as a plot mechanism was brilliant. I would love to see a new Original series TV show spawn from this movie. Take the cast from the movie, JJ Abrams and his team and you’ve one heck a hit show. With only one more season of Lost, the fans would love a new Star Trek series. Fringe and Start Trek, what a line up for 2011...

While I gave it a four, as five is perfect and that won't happen from today's Hollywood, I thought that it was the best Star Trek Movie since ST2 TRoK. The Story line adaptation from the canon of TOS I believe helps bring in new fans while mitigating the Trekker Nerd Colonies out there. (Ha, I use to be one, I have the right!) This will place new fans and the general public on equal or equivalent footing to enjoy this movie and the ones to follow it. Since the release of ST4 to Nemesis, the movies have been more fan-set than to the general public, which explains its near death. I enjoyed that no every little issue was explained, like the "Red Matter." Removing of the information overload that leads to boredom helped the movie by keeping the plot line first while not becoming overly technical. The casting was awesome, I really enjoyed Simon Pegg and Karl Urban as Scott and McCoy. The comedy has entered into Star Trek without obnoxious antidotes from a character who has always been made to be a straight man.

I enjoyed the movie for all of its characteristics.

Erm ok, don't say you weren't warned. The below are MY opinions so then here's my review:

The Good:

a) Enjoyable sci fi/action movie needed in an era where we have comic book movies stuffed down our throats.

b} There was a story from beginning to end in which I didn't get lost or question why; it had great action and heroic themes.

c) Amazing special effects.

d) McCoy was well portrayed by Urban.

The Bad:

a) movie was geared more towards NONStar Trek Fans(of TOS).

b} I hate it when creators/writers establish a character's life and then change the way we have come to know the characters in such a way that it throws everything out the window (especially if it's not even written by the original creators themselves).

c) Anytime there is use of an ALTERNATIVE UNIVERSE in a story, it's almost too easy of a story to write. JJ Abrams took a well developed idea (not his own) to make money off of with little work from his part to gain an audience for him. He's not George Lucas yet the movie reminds me of Star Wars. But I'm willing to accept the change for a new audience. JJ's audience.

d)

Click for Spoiler:

There are 2 Spocks in one timeline. This causes for a paradox that sprung up "Great Scott!" such as in Back To the Future where it is a no-no.

The use of a timeline reminds me too much of LOST and it has JJ's print all over such a topic he seems to think makes great stories. Which is why I said he cheated. He should have just written A totally different new Star Trek film with totally new characters and left the TOS characters alone. Because anyone could have written this story just by using TOS characters and in any timeline they chose. At least all the other Star Treks had brand new characters in the same universe but were creatively developed into a totally unique story of their own. With this movie that part of the history was done.... just slap an action Romulan scene and bang you got a easy money-making Star Trek movie and JJ Abrams is famous. You would get plagerized if you were anyone else doing this.

e) So I felt that this movie was more of a money-making machine rather than a true Star Trek Film. The TOS characters were literally "whipped up" into one spaceship where they all got promoted at once and such, and it seemed all too unrealistic for that to really happen. It is too formulated which is common with Abrams.

f)

Click for Spoiler:

Vulcan Planet Destroyed. Ok so to me this is more like an intensifying plot line to get the actual plot going. The actual plot being how our TOS came to working and knowing each other on the Enterprise. No I didn't like Vulcan destroyed nor did I like the idea that Romulus would be destroyed in the future. But I was willing to go with the flow, but frankly, as for plot, that's it about this movie? The planets get destroyed and that's it? Nero didn't even do hand to hand combat with Kirk or any other battle. There seems to need some sort of more to it all. But there wasn't.

g) A lot of the cinematic plot is like Star Wars and Abrams did say he grew up with Star Wars, but the aircraft hanger... the Sulu/Romulan fight scenes. I was waiting for the Star Wars Theme music to play or lightsabers to spring out.

h) CHARACTERS

Click for Spoiler:

I understand Uhura's character needed to be written in the movie for to have more scene involvement but a relationship with Spock? C'mon. I leave it at that.

And I guess I have watched too much Heroes, but you can see Sylar/Quinto twitches that I don't believe Spock would do....

And last but not least(if I haven't forgotten anything else), Scotty just came off as any scottish chum who worked in a basement and was no where near the Scotty in TOS. Nothing sparked for me there and he's my 2nd fave character in TOS.

Watching Nimoy as Spock made me nervous. Bana's scenes looked like he filmed all his scenes in one month on an elaborate set. If you put them together he has very little parts.

Well if I haven't forgotten anything else, that's my review you asked for. Like I said it was a great fun sci fi movie, just not a great Star Trek movie. The new audience will surely be lost by not appreciating the characters originally from the show in this new life cooked up for them so hopefully some would go back to watch the series. But I guess Hollywood needs money and this movie can do that as a new franchise of Star Trek movies to come just like every other movie these days. Overall I didn't like how everything is all changed now with the characters, but I am willing to go with it.

Edited by YOUST

That's right, I can't be arsed to use the actual quote feature, so this is the best you are going to get.

"a) movie was geared more towards NONStar Trek Fans(of TOS)."

That was the whole point of the movie. We learned from Nemesis and Enterprise that there just aren't enough "purists" out there anymore to support the franchise. There haven't been since First Contact. This was a reboot and, with any reboot, you are going to loose a few things.

To be honest, this debate about canon vs non-canon isn't helping our cause. We may have moved out of our parents basement and put the Spock ears away but our behavior hasn't changed. If we want to hang onto the new fans brought in by the movie we need to GROW UP as a fan base and let the new fans enjoy the movie for what it is. It is a movie, not holy scripture.

"b} I hate it when creators/writers establish a character's life and then change the way we have come to know the characters in such a way that it throws everything out the window (especially if it's not even written by the original creators themselves)."

Roddenbery is dead so what other choice did we have? Remember, TNG didn't come into its own as a series until Roddenbery stepped back from creative control.

"d)"

Remember, that whole existance-ending paradox thing was a theory. Even Doc Brown didn't know what would happen. The universe didn't end when Marty's girlfriend saw her younger / older self.

"e) So I felt that this movie was more of a money-making machine rather than a true Star Trek Film. The TOS characters were literally "whipped up" into one spaceship where they all got promoted at once and such, and it seemed all too unrealistic for that to really happen. It is too formulated which is common with Abrams."

A valid point.

"g) A lot of the cinematic plot is like Star Wars and Abrams did say he grew up with Star Wars, but the aircraft hanger... the Sulu/Romulan fight scenes. I was waiting for the Star Wars Theme music to play or lightsabers to spring out."

Would you have preferred some laser noises when Sulu extended his sword?

"Watching Nimoy as Spock made me nervous. Bana's scenes looked like he filmed all his scenes in one month on an elaborate set. If you put them together he has very little parts."

Ambassador Spock came from roughly a generation after Nemesis. Nimoy himself is 78. Would you really believe him as some kind of action hero?

Edited by Lt. Van Roy

"a) movie was geared more towards NONStar Trek Fans(of TOS)."

That was the whole point of the movie. We learned from Nemesis and Enterprise that there just aren't enough "purists" out there anymore to support the franchise. There haven't been since First Contact. This was a reboot and, with any reboot, you are going to loose a few things.

To be honest, this debate about canon vs non-canon isn't helping our cause. We may have moved out of our parents basement and put the Spock ears away but our behavior hasn't changed. If we want to hang onto the new fans brought in by the movie we need to GROW UP as a fan base and let the new fans enjoy the movie for what it is. It is a movie, not holy scripture.

Amen Roy, amen

I've watched it a couple more times and while I still can't say that I'm 100% satisfied I can say I'm somewhere between 95% and 99%. There are still a few points that I'm annoyed about and while some say that the Alternate Timeline can explain those things away, I still believe it was just either a lack of attention to detail or a matter of making things fit even though they didn't just because they wanted/needed them to fit.

I can live with it (I can just hear Ben Sisko from "In the Pale Moonlight" looking into the camera and saying "I can live with it..." lol). So while I'm not as excited as others about the movie, I am excited that others are excited. I haven't seen Mandy this excited about Star Trek in quite some time, Kelly too. So if I have to live with a few minor annoyances to get them excited about Star Trek again, it's ok with me.

For now, I think we should all just enjoy the public attention while it's there. Let the excitement ride the wave and then debate the "detail issues" later when the movie hits DVD.

:spock::superhappy:

I must admit it was weird watching other actors playing the parts but I also admit they did a great job. This is "Star Trek's" first foray into the big leagues, and it does it well. This is not just a good "Star Trek" film, it's a good film.

There's humour, action and decent performances. It may be seen as slow in parts [i must have blinked - tell me where please?!] but I thought they called it something like er, plotline and character development the last time I checked. That's good to see in "Star Trek" films and character development was something I felt was missing from the TNG features.

The films cinematograpy is seamless and I haven't been in awe of cgi since Terminator 2 or Jurassic Park. The detail is incredible, the musical score.

The great thing about this film is that it is a film that introduces us to "Star Trek." As a veteran fan of Trek I view this film as a welcome addition to the franchise, not a replacement. I mean, we've all got the other series and films to look back on. The only problem I will have with this film is where to place the DVD amongst the others when I get it!

More of this please, and "Star Trek" will indeed "Live Long and Prosper!"

In the not too distant future...by a bookcase near me:

"Now do I put it before TOS or parallel to it...hmmm...."

I just want to say I loved the new Star Trek. I would give it a 5 star rating and can hardly wait until I am able to buy it on dvd. The new actors were wonderful. I can't seem to think of anything I didn't like about it.

Hey you guys wanted my review, and I warned you so live with it. I'm not here to debate Star Trek movie. Just to give my opinions on it which is what it is, my opinion. Just as all of it is yours. I just didn't like this Star Trek as everyone else did. And I'm in the entertainment business, I've watched and studied a lot of stories, movies, TV you name it, and just like every critic I have my opinions whether anyone agrees with it or not. The alternate timeline just seems too obvious, desperate cry for Hollywood to bring in an audience - in my opinion. Also if you want a new fan base, create new characters. If you want to move out of the "Parent's Basement" as Roy has so mentioned, then create new characters and don't use papa's ideas. Because like I said that would be like inability to get of the house and make a name for yourself.

Anyway Star Trek was a great action sci fi movie not a great Star Trek movie, that my opinion. For new fans I'm willing to accept it, but too bad for a few of us who got robbed of already established characters that shouldn't be changed. Seriously think of all the movies you've seen, if any of those characters become out of character then the whole movie becomes awry. I've seen it happen many times before and it does lose quality.

I did rate this movie a 4.

Edited by YOUST

It was good, but I can't say I loved it 100%. First of all it wasn't really canon which bothered me a little, and also, why couldn't they just make the ship and the bridge look like it did in TOS?!?!?! It can't be that hard, I mean they did it for Enterprise. Anyway, the characters were good, especially Checkov and Scotty, but Kirk they made into too much of a scoundrel, instead of a clean cut Star Fleet member. I just don't think that TOS Kirk acted like that and it sort of bothered me. But like I said it was enjoyable and if you're not a total TOS purist like me then by all means go see it because you'll like it.