Sign in to follow this  
Takara_Soong

G4 To Acquire TOS, TNG Syndication Rights

From TrekToday:

Comcast's G4 network is near to acquiring US syndication rights for the original Star Trek and Star Trek: The Next Generation.

CNN reported on the deal, which would give Comcast the opportunity to greatly widen the appeal of its G4 network, currently targeting video gamers. The original Star Trek thrived in syndication for many years after NBC cancelled the series in 1969 and was later broadcast in extended editions with commentary by the Sci Fi Channel. Spike TV currently holds broadcast rights to Deep Space Nine and Voyager, while Enterprise is in its first run of national syndication.

CNN sources suggested that Comcast is attempting to reposition G4's brand, much as Paramount did with UPN when it switched its target demographic from young men to young women. G4 may undergo a name change in an effort to recruit more male viewers, not just gamers.

"Video games are the core of G4's programming strategy," said a G4 spokeswoman. "They are the foundation and basis of our network. Any programming we add to our slate will be attractive to a gamer audience and serve the male 18-34 demographic." Star Trek has spawned more than 70 video game titles, so it would seem to be a suitable fit.

It is believed that G4 will run both series on weekdays, likely including a prime-time broadcast. Since Spike TV still has broadcast rights to The Next Generation, there will be time restrictions on when both networks can broadcast episodes.

Well, Comcast is the company that provides cable in our area. If they are associated with this, we are in trouble. Comcast is the most incompetent company I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with.....

G4TV use to be G4/Tech TV which use to be Tech TV. Tech TV was a computer channel. 24/7 computer information and help. Now it is all about gaming with over have the shows reviewing games. They also have the Man Show, anime shows, on online made shows after 0000. I personal watch X-Play, the longest running show on G4 from back when Tech TV was still alive and kicking. To find more about G4 go to www.g4tv.com. I personal want Tech TV back with The Screen Savers and Call for Help!

call for help is still on in the Mornings, G$ isnt just on Comcast, I had it when I had Dish Network and Direct TV, and the replays of the Manshows are awsome, I miss that show, Brainiac is a cool science show, think Mr. Wizard combined with Jackass

i have time warner cable and i have g4. it'll be interesting to see what time they put the shows on. i'll have to watch it in my parent's room since it's the only one with the digital cable and the only way to get it.

tm :assimilated:

Anyone have any idea what the G4 network is?? :assimilated:

It's Channel 105 on my Cable system -- so I'd suggest checking the higher channels, ST.

From G4tv.com

G4 TV Picks Up TOS and TNG

G4 TV, a cable network for video gamers, will begin airing Star Trek: The Next Generation on January 8, 2006, and will start running the Original Series later in the year.

Launched in April 2002, G4 features programming themed around the videogame culture. But Trek will be part of an effort by owner Comcast Corp. to reposition the channel brand of G4 in a broader play for young male viewers, according to The Hollywood Reporter. A name change is also being considered.

TNG will continue to air on Spike TV, but restrictions will keep the show from running in the same timeslot on the two networks. Spike will also continue to run Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. The Original Series — which is no longer shown on the Sci-Fi Channel — will begin on G4 in the second quarter of 2006, the Reporter says. The full article is available at this link.

this might be a good move for ST fans G4 is a great Station IMO and this will help them more

This is an old topic, but just to note that I was over at the G4 forums and some gamers are mad that thier gaming channel is getting Star Trek.

what this article says that I didn't see in the other is that TNG will continue to air on Spike TV. That's what I wanted to hear since I don't have G4. If TNG left Spike, it'd be a long time before I would see it again if ever

well i read the other topic and it didnt say TNG was still to remain on Spike and since this came right from G4, I thought it would help fans that dont have G4, its a shame Gamera you dont get it, to watch TOS, i also think G4 won't hack the episodes as much as Spike and SciFi did

Well it looks like TNG will be on G4 starting January 8 not sure of the time. If you don't know what that channel is it's a gamers channel but they show more than that just wanted to let you know if you get G4.

OK I seem to be late on this LOL been a long week since my father passed away last week anyway I have G4 it has great shows an I also remember when it was Tech TV. I to love X-Play but I remember when it was Extented play and screen savers now Attack of the show oh and I see Leo is back with Call for Help so they didn't get rid of EVERYONE I have to see the forms and see what the people are saying about Star Trek.

because we got to wait till 2008 and its currently 2006 ummm ok I don't know where you got 2008 but next month is when Star Trek TNG will start on the 8th of Jan 2006 are you talking about TOS?? if so that's too long to wait for the TOS to show I will watch my DVD's.

Brian

Edited by zipkirk1966

I'm so with you on this I really miss TechTV but I'm also a gamer so I have come to like G4 but I wish TechTv was back.

Brian

Edited by Takara_Soong

G4TV Channel 354 on the Directv network of satilites. Good up to date gammer information, real racie japanimation, too. A good network for novices to obtain basic programming and consoul gaming information. If they were a bit like what spike was prior to MXC and the Bondathons with the gammer twist they would do well. If G4TV does gain rights to TOS&TNG it should help bring them on the map from the back water channels of C-span and Bloomberg news. Like in any business the primary rule to success is Location, Location, Location. And being barried at the back of the line up with all of the Stiff-neck channels does it no good. While I realise that this is only about 40% of G4TVs broadcast capibility it is worth the investment of the shareholders to expend the monies to move it to a better location on the DTV dial. As it is now, G4TV is rather dry except when they do the demos on new games.

Edited by Wraithlin

This is an old topic, but just to note that I was over at the G4 forums and some gamers are mad that thier gaming channel is getting Star Trek.

I bet some of those people who are mad have never seen an episode of Trek, but when they do see it, fans will be made. So I'm kinda excited about it moving into a new network

From st.com:

Next Generation Premieres on G4 on Sunday

As previously reported, G4 TV - a cable network geared toward video gamers - has picked up Star Trek: The Next Generation and will start airing the show this Sunday, January 8. G4 will kick off its TNG run with an eight-hour marathon beginning with "Encounter at Farpoint" at 7:00 p.m. Eastern Time (please check your local listings), followed by subsequent episodes airing in production number order (as opposed to the original airdate order).

On Monday, the regular evening schedule begins with two hours of TNG airing each night at 8:00 and 9:00 p.m. ET, beginning with "Justice." On Saturday and Sunday, three continuous hours are scheduled beginning at 7:00 p.m. ET.

However, additional showings are also scheduled for each weekday. The first part of "Farpoint" will rerun on Monday at 6:00 p.m. ET, followed by subsequent reruns in the 6:00 slot throughout the week ("The Naked Now," etc.). During the second week of the G4 schedule, the rerun hour will be at 1:00 a.m. Again, please check your local listings for actual times.

TNG continues to also run on Spike TV three times a day on weekday afternoons, along with Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.

According to previous news reports, the original Star Trek will begin airing on G4 in the second quarter of this year (i.e., after March). A name change for the network is also being considered.

Something else to look out for on G4: Kristanna Loken - who guest-starred in Voyager's "Favorite Son" but is most famous as the cyber-villainess in "Terminator 3" - will be interviewed on Attack of the Show! about her new movies "BloodRayne" and "Dungeon Siege." The episode will air several times between now and Sunday, Jan. 8. Check the G4 link below for more info.

I didn't even realize that I have this channel on my cable but I have now found it. Can't wait for TOS to start.

Well, Comcast is the company that provides cable in our area. If they are associated with this, we are in trouble. Comcast is the most incompetent company I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with.....

I agree with you. Comcast is the worst I prefer direct tv. My parents prefer comcast though so thats what company we deal with.